JL Fix82 - Lexus IS (3rd gen) - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2016   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 119 katodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enough

Default JL Fix82 - Lexus IS (3rd gen)

Since the Fix 82 is so closely tied with OEM integration, this review is going to contain a lot of car specific data (hence the title).

I recently picked up a Lexus IS and started taking it apart. I haven't had a new car for a while, so channel summing/eq'ing was all new to me. I decided not to try and grab the signal before the amp, as I would then lose my ability to control the volume from the steering wheel/stock deck. I was then left with doing a high-low conversion.

One thing that I've learned from past installs is to not skimp on gear. The time wasted troubleshooting stuff is well worth paying a bit extra cash for reliable gear. JL has saved my butt several times with their amps, so I was delighted to see an update to their high/low converters with the Fix82.

Here are the measurements of my stock speakers taken directly from the stock amplifier using a Minidsp C6x8 as a high-low converter. Green measurement is reference amplifier:
FRONT DOORS:

FRONT DASH:

SUBWOOFER:

I decided that these were good enough to pass to the Fix82, and left the rears alone. I figured that I would just run the system faded to the front, and in the rare occasion that I had backseat passengers, I could fade to the rear and use the stock system.

Here is the results from the Fix82 after calibration.

Seems like it did a pretty good job. Only complaint is a small +5db bump at 2kz. I may try and recalibrate as I move along to see if I can get better results. It failed several times at calibrating before I realized it was due to a ground loop (I was using an external PSU for testing purposes/ended up simply running temporary wiring directly to battery). I was hoping to use the "signal sense" turn-on feature of the unit, but that totally didn't work

Consider this an ongoing review as I move forward with my install. Please let me know if you have any questions, as I haven't seen any reviews of this unit yet.
katodevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2016   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 47 DDfusion will become famous soon enoughDDfusion will become famous soon enoughDDfusion will become famous soon enoughDDfusion will become famous soon enoughDDfusion will become famous soon enoughDDfusion will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JL Fix82 - Lexus IS (3rd gen)

That bumps probably the car
DDfusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2016   #3

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 119 katodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDfusion View Post
That bumps probably the car
This is measured from the line out of the Fix82, not speakers. Car acoustics aren't playing a factor in that measurement.
katodevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 116 alachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enough

This is some really great information, I'm currently considering getting a 3rd gen IS350 in the future and was debating on the best manner of factory integration.

I may attempt to open up a factory amp and having a poke around to see if there is any chance of hijacking the signal at some point after volume control (and possibly dobly prologic) is applied, but before amplification/eq is done. I'm guessing not, but engineers aren't having fun unless they are attempting to find potentially more optimal solutions to already solved problems.
alachua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement