Box Stuffing Demo - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 118 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

Default Box Stuffing Demo

Well, this was supposed to be a full write up, but 4 tests will have to suffice. Sorry Seafish, I'll have to redo the whole thing later. One of the hurricane nuts backed out, and I'm going to have to tear apart the box to get it out.

So these are measurements of a completely empty box, a box with natural sheep skin wool, one inch thick ocf, and two inch thick egg crate ocf. The test box is about 0.99 cubic feet before driver displacement. The driver is a HAT L6SE. Nominal output was 114db at 0.125 meters. Bandwidth of test is 31.5hz-5000hz. I chose this as its really already past where a 7" midbass/midrange should be used on both ends.

Frequency Response

I've included them all together as well as separate.

This is the empty box frequency response.

This is the sheepskin wool frequency response.

This is the 1 inch ocf frequency response.

This is the 2 inch egg crate frequency response.

Distortion plots are in the same order as above, I put them all together to make them easier to compare. Had testing gone smooth, I would have ended with a second empty box measurement just for consistency, but it didn't turn out. Notice the large uptick in 3rd order distortion around 188hz that almost hits 1% on each treated measurement. Also notice the reduction in distortion at 348hz and 700hz on each treated measurement. This corresponds with modes you'll notice in the waterfall plots.

Waterfall plots. Again, all together to make it easier to compare. Pay attention to 348hz and 700hz.

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2016   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 51 Jscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Box Stuffing Demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL View Post
Well, this was supposed to be a full write up, but 4 tests will have to suffice. Sorry Seafish, I'll have to redo the whole thing later. One of the hurricane nuts backed out, and I'm going to have to tear apart the box to get it out.

So these are measurements of a completely empty box, a box with natural sheep skin wool, one inch thick ocf, and two inch thick egg crate ocf. The test box is about 0.99 cubic feet before driver displacement. The driver is a HAT L6SE. Nominal output was 114db at 0.125 meters. Bandwidth of test is 31.5hz-5000hz. I chose this as its really already past where a 7" midbass/midrange should be used on both ends.

Frequency Response

I've included them all together as well as separate.

This is the empty box frequency response.

This is the sheepskin wool frequency response.

This is the 1 inch ocf frequency response.

This is the 2 inch egg crate frequency response.

Distortion plots are in the same order as above, I put them all together to make them easier to compare. Had testing gone smooth, I would have ended with a second empty box measurement just for consistency, but it didn't turn out. Notice the large uptick in 3rd order distortion around 188hz that almost hits 1% on each treated measurement. Also notice the reduction in distortion at 348hz and 700hz on each treated measurement. This corresponds with modes you'll notice in the waterfall plots.

Waterfall plots. Again, all together to make it easier to compare. Pay attention to 348hz and 700hz.

Cool. So..in laymans terms. What are the results?
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2016   #3
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 314 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about the hurricane nut backing out and ending the testing. Not having had a lot of time to anazlyze the charts, it looks like there may be some tradeoffs? Perhaps a slight smoothing in frequency response (most apparent with sheepskin wool), but you get some increased 3rd Order distortion at some frequencies? Waterfall plots certainly look better across the board.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Mosconi 6to8 V8 | Arc KS900.6 | Arc KS600.2 | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Arc Black 12
2015 MECA SQL Street California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 118 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

Well, from these measurements it shows the box/driver ringing at 348hz and 700hz, the treatments eliminated that.

It did show and increase in 3rd harmonic distortion around 188hz, but a reduction in 2nd order distortion around 200hz, which is bad.

That said, your talking about in all cases less than 1% distortion. I'll be dead honest, I couldn't hear a difference while measuring.

Old 06-01-2016   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rton20s beat me too it. Pretty much exactly what he said. I just notices I forgot the pictures of the actual treatments, I'll get them up tonight or tomorrow.

Old 06-01-2016   #6
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 314 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rton20s beat me too it. Pretty much exactly what he said. I just notices I forgot the pictures of the actual treatments, I'll get them up tonight or tomorrow.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Mosconi 6to8 V8 | Arc KS900.6 | Arc KS600.2 | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Arc Black 12
2015 MECA SQL Street California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2016   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 76 seafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enough

TSTF, nice work…sorry about the problems.

I still REALLY think that the thicker 4" rockwool pad is going to help the most….though whether the diff is audible will be the real question.
seafish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2016   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Yeah, that's my thoughts too. That said, there is a clear difference in performance between nothing and something and a clear difference between the 1" and 2" foam.

I'm also going to try using more than one product after the individual products are done. For instance all the rock wool pads at once.

Old 06-01-2016   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 76 seafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Y

I'm also going to try using more than one product after the individual products are done. For instance all the rock wool pads at once.
THIS!!!…different layers of different materials!!

Like the sheepskin OVER the rockwool over some cork…does NOT need to placed directly behind the speaker, but simply inside the enclosure to the sides of the speaker…should leave room for more thickness!!!
seafish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement