iPad Mini 4 and Sony RSX-GS9 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2016   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 148 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Default iPad Mini 4 and Sony RSX-GS9

I just posted the update to my build log that shows me installing these both in my 2012 Acura TSX SE

(Build 2.0) Niebur3's 2012 Acura TSX SE *DEMO CAR* SQ Build Log - Dynaudio/Sinfoni

I thought I'd post more here about my experiences and thoughts with this combo.

Here are the pics installed:

Overall the setup works really nice together. I am still working on all the settings with the iPad Mini to get it to do everything I'd like.

With having an iPhone, I was able to get an iPad Mini with only Wifi and use my phone as a hotspot for data. So, Google Maps are available for Navigation (this should be a very handy feature). I also found a few apps that play high resolution files, so I can download them and play them through this app, which mimics iTunes in looks and functionality. I also read that iTune may be making high resolution files available later this year, which would be a huge bonus.

The startup time is super quick and the biggest differences SQ wise I have noticed with the Sony is that the instruments seem better separated and there is more liveliness/energy to the music. I can only relate this to the sound of the liveliness of the Alpine F#1 CDA-7990. I haven't even heard a high resolution file yet and I am giddy with the results (but all head units sound the same, don't they? ). The volume knob screams high quality and the unit is the fastest I have ever used when it comes to changing tracks forward/back or changing radio stations. The Bluetooth sound quality is on par with CD (although the iPad is now connected directly via USB) and it just all seems to work really good.

I have just a few issues that are mainly settings or possibly ones I will have to live with:
1) having to lock the iPad screen after turning off the car
2) the GS9 loses the Bluetooth connection for the SongPal App when you change the input to USB, meaning I need to use the remote to change any settings like Subwoofer volume instead of the App
3) the center dial is so smooth and high quality, I want to use that instead of the button on my steering wheel

Okay, that last one isn't really an issue....lol. Overall I am very....no extremely impresses with what Sony put to the market and won't miss for a second hauling around a huge CD case and searching, while driving, for the CD I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 156 matdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to matdotcom2000

7990 hmmmm I would willing to try anything that sounds simular to the 7990...
matdotcom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2016   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 252 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Default Re: iPad Mini 4 and Sony RSX-GS9

You fell in love with the volume knob as much as I did it seems.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 75 SQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enough

Jerry,

Your iPad / GS9 integration looks GREAT !!!

I just realized the GS9 has high-level in capability.... if by chance an OEM unit were wired in high-level to the GS9... would CD / XM Radio / Navi play through the GS9 ???

Thanks
SQ_TSX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2016   #5
Classifieds Access
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 43 #1BigMike will become famous soon enough#1BigMike will become famous soon enough#1BigMike will become famous soon enough#1BigMike will become famous soon enough#1BigMike will become famous soon enough#1BigMike will become famous soon enough

Jerry,

Happy to to read you are enjoying the Sony unit. It is pretty damn cool...
#1BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2016   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 134 cmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enough

Jerry, watch this you tube video of how this guy jail broke his iPad to get it to come on and go off with the vehicle's ignition: https://youtu.be/xAnefHtRr3Y?t=2m48s
cmusic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016   #7

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 106 xxx_busa will become famous soon enoughxxx_busa will become famous soon enoughxxx_busa will become famous soon enoughxxx_busa will become famous soon enoughxxx_busa will become famous soon enoughxxx_busa will become famous soon enough

Man, I love that h/u, just deciding the best dsp to mate it with !
xxx_busa is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 almatias will become famous soon enoughalmatias will become famous soon enoughalmatias will become famous soon enoughalmatias will become famous soon enoughalmatias will become famous soon enoughalmatias will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post

I have just a few issues that are mainly settings or possibly ones I will have to live with:

Jailbreak -> Activator
almatias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 252 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Planning on an APL1 to go between my Sony & Helix DSP Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx_busa View Post
Man, I love that h/u, just deciding the best dsp to mate it with !
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 66 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Quote:

2) the GS9 loses the Bluetooth connection for the SongPal App when you change the input to USB, meaning I need to use the remote to change any settings like Subwoofer volume instead of the App
3) the center dial is so smooth and high quality, I want to use that instead of the button on my steering wheel
Hum cool... Waiting for mine!
Why is #1 an issue? You want it to instantly go off and not after 2min?

Horny Froggy...
Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 62 gregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enough

Going this route with the sony seems to be the best way to get high res audio in the car right now. I may end up doing this at some point.

2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport
Pioneer 80PRS, Helix DSP Pro, Audiofrog GB60/25/10, Acoustic Elegance SBP 15 (x2), JL HD1200/1, HD900/5 (x2)
gregerst22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 130 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

I would love to add that to my Helix, but I need the dd screen for my reverse camera.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 /Audison APK-165....

Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 aka Tri-Tone...
Coppertone is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2016   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 62 gregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enough

How difficult or cumbersome would it be to adjust volume from the ipad app while driving?

2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport
Pioneer 80PRS, Helix DSP Pro, Audiofrog GB60/25/10, Acoustic Elegance SBP 15 (x2), JL HD1200/1, HD900/5 (x2)
Old 09-30-2016   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 148 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

^^It's pretty easy, although, I just use my steering wheel controls or the volume knob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2016   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 80 mcintoshi will become famous soon enoughmcintoshi will become famous soon enoughmcintoshi will become famous soon enoughmcintoshi will become famous soon enoughmcintoshi will become famous soon enoughmcintoshi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerst22 View Post
How difficult or cumbersome would it be to adjust volume from the ipad app while driving?
The volume on the SongPal app is easy to use. It is at the bottom of the screen where the album / song detail is.

2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6 / Sony RSX-GS9 / Hybrid Audio Clarus C61-2 / Mosconi AS 100.4 / JL Audio 10TW3
mcintoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2016   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

The volume knob won't be within reach because I'll need put the HU in glove box. How do you link up the steering wheel controls to it.

2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport
Old 09-30-2016   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 80 mcintoshi will become famous soon enoughmcintoshi will become famous soon enoughmcintoshi will become famous soon enoughmcintoshi will become famous soon enoughmcintoshi will become famous soon enoughmcintoshi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
^^It's pretty easy, although, I just use my steering wheel controls or the volume knob
The volume knob has such a nice feel to it that I rarely use the app or the remote.

2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6 / Sony RSX-GS9 / Hybrid Audio Clarus C61-2 / Mosconi AS 100.4 / JL Audio 10TW3
mcintoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2016   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 75 SQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enough

I wonder if a USB hub were hooked up to the rear input... would the unit recognize mutiple devices ?

ie. Hub into the rear input... ipad into the hub.... hard drive into the hub.... or for that matter... mutiple hard drives.....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2016   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 18 speakerman99 will become famous soon enoughspeakerman99 will become famous soon enoughspeakerman99 will become famous soon enoughspeakerman99 will become famous soon enoughspeakerman99 will become famous soon enoughspeakerman99 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ_TSX View Post
I wonder if a USB hub were hooked up to the rear input... would the unit recognize mutiple devices ?

ie. Hub into the rear input... ipad into the hub.... hard drive into the hub.... or for that matter... mutiple hard drives.....

I had the same idea, but I'm pretty sure that I read in the manual USB hubs won't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
speakerman99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2016   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Would sure be cool if it did.... I might have to try this out.... Think I have a hub somewhere. ...

Old 09-30-2016   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 97 DLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to DLO13 Send a message via Skype™ to DLO13

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerman99 View Post
I had the same idea, but I'm pretty sure that I read in the manual USB hubs won't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Typically, devices that allow USB hubs will advertise it.

I have 6's on my dash
2013 Prius Build Log
DLO13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2016   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Understood

Old 09-30-2016   #23

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25982 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Jerry, that's a slick install!

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2016   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 66 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerst22 View Post
Diificult and dangerous, clearly not precise.
So you do have control on the app? I noticed I sometime lost volume control on the phone with certain dac, but kept it with some other.
Always wondered why.

Horny Froggy...
Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2016   #25

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25982 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgrosso View Post
Diificult and dangerous, clearly not precise.
Agreed entirely. There's no way I'd use the app to control volume. I'd either lean forward to use the headunit or use the remote (or steering wheel controls if connected).

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement