Hertz, Rainbow, Morel, Massive Audio, JBL, Helix Component Comparison - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2016   #26
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:
Sales, Installation, Support

Rep Power: 70 ANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Hertz, Rainbow, Morel, Massive Audio, JBL, Helix Component Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareea View Post
How would you rate Morel vs Hertz in general ?
I am confused which to buy. the normal tempo (157$) or the esk 165 (205$).
I will give a small review of what I have heard and concluded so far:

Massive zk6: Do not waste your time, midbass extremely muddy, tweeter has no life, stay away. Def 1/10

Alpine type x ref: The midbass was ok, lacked low end authority, and did not like too much power. The tweeter did have top end sparkle but was not extremely clean sounding. The tweeter did not handle off axis as well as some of the others. I would say 4/10

Hertz HSK 165: The midbass is very unique, it responded fast, was able to play low (not as low as others), handle power, and produce a clean full bodied midrange. The tweeter had excellent off axis performance, had the top end sparkle when needed however at times sounded too saturated. Overall a very impressive set, not worth the retail price in my opinion but definitely at a discount. I would rate a solid 8/10

Morel Tempo Ultra: The midbass was the weakest link. It has great low end response however lacked the clarity and fast attack when compared to others. The midbass also could not handle as much power. The tweeter is the shinning gem in this set. Had great top end sparkle, great off axis response, but definitely unique to a specific sound signature. The tweeter could use some more of the upper midrange to fill it out. I would say 5.5/10 (the midbass needs improvement)

PHD 6.1 Pro: I would define this set as very well rounded. Nothing out performed however everything was extremely well balanced. The midbass had good low end extension, fast attack, clear, and could handle power. The tweeter had a full body sound, clear, but did lack some of the top end sparkle. This set would definitely be for the person who gets fatigued by the top end of the spectrum since the tweeter naturally rolls off early. I am sure you could boost those frequencies with an eq to get a little more of of it. Because of the value, I would say 7.5/10

Polk MM6501: Surprise! I added this to the group last night. I am highly impressed with this set. The midbass is definitly the superstar. So far the midbass is the best of the group. Had great low end extension, extremely fast midrange, extremely clear, and loved power. My only gripe would be it has a higher resonance when mounted in an application so make sure you deaden your door well. The tweeter performed well, it had good off axis performance, good top end sparkle (at time maybe a tad too much), but not as clean sounding in the upper midrange spectrum as lets say the PHD tweeter. Overall though this set is an exceptional value. I am biased towards having more top end sparkle so this set hit it home with me. I would rate 8.5/10

Realm LSC6: Out of the entire group this set could handle Power the best. The midbass had the best low end extension out of the group, was extremely clean sounding, however not as fast reacting. The tweeter had the most top end sparkle out of all the sets however is crossed so high it has poor off axis performance and is not practical to use in a vehicle unless you are doing custom fabrication to aim the mid and tweet in the kick panel together. I wouldn't call this set a reference quality but definitely a great sound set of speakers. If I were competing in sql I would be running these. I think I am going to make some bookshelf speakers for my study with these. I would rate 7/10

ANS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2016   #27

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 sareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Hertz, Rainbow, Morel, Massive Audio, JBL, Helix Component Comparison

Thank you man !
It would be cool to add some more
like focal ...
I have been searching web for like a week and this is the first review I find to answer me.
sareea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2016   #28

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 9 OldNewb will become famous soon enoughOldNewb will become famous soon enoughOldNewb will become famous soon enoughOldNewb will become famous soon enoughOldNewb will become famous soon enoughOldNewb will become famous soon enough

What's the retail price on the Hertz HSK?
OldNewb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 96 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewb View Post
What's the retail price on the Hertz HSK?
In the $480 - $580 range is my guess

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2016   #30
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Rep Power: 70 ANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enough

I am adding Image Dynamics CXS64 v.2 and Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 to the test group, Image Dynamics should be delivered tomorrow. Trying to get my hands on a set of Focal 165AS.

Old 10-19-2016   #31

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 sareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANS View Post
I am adding Image Dynamics CXS64 v.2 and Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 to the test group, Image Dynamics should be delivered tomorrow. Trying to get my hands on a set of Focal 165AS.
Awesome
Thank you !
Old 10-20-2016   #32
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Its official, was able to get a hold of a set of Focal 165AS and JBL GTO608C. No more! lol

Old 10-20-2016   #33

DIYMA freshman

Thank you David !
I wish you explained what type of music you like. etc...

I have read many reviews that Hertz have too bright/harsh tweeters. And that the Morels/Audison for example are warmer to listen to.

How do you find these claims ?
Old 10-20-2016   #34
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareea View Post
Thank you David !
I wish you explained what type of music you like. etc...

I have read many reviews that Hertz have too bright/harsh tweeters. And that the Morels/Audison for example are warmer to listen to.

How do you find these claims ?
The hertz are not too bright (they do have top end sparkle though), however are not the cleanest sounding tweeter, I can't put my finger on it. Not sure if it is due to a little distortion coming through or an too much upper midrange output that sounds a tad too saturated. It is a very good tweeter so don't let these negatives out shine that this is still a very good tweeter.

The morel are "warm" because of the lack up upper mid range output, sort of sounds thin, but then it has that top end sparkle, very interesting sounding tweeter.

I wish the PHD tweeter had more top end sparkle, if so it would have been my favorite. I did not try to eq it because I want to listen to all sets as how they come.

Last edited by ANS; 10-20-2016 at 02:54 PM..
Old 10-20-2016   #35

DIYMA freshman

Thank you !
I will definitely try to find a place to listen
Old 10-20-2016   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 130 I800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of light

I used that phd tweeter and loved the sound. When I got into Car audio I loved the sound of the a/d/s tweets if that helps anybody. My gb10 is my new favorite

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment.
My '13 Jetta build...not finished
I800C0LLECT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2016   #37
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

The image dynamics were delivered and sadly damaged. The baskets on both midbass driver are cracked. They seem very fragile and due to how fragile they are I am not going to test them.

Old 10-20-2016   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 96 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

One thing to keep in mind is that some sets may sound better and crisper, others may not, and the better sounding ones may give you headaches or ear pain after hours of listening. And some people may be more sensitive than others. Tweeter positioning may also reduce the fatigue some may suffer from it in a car.

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2016   #39
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that some sets may sound better and crisper, others may not, and the better sounding ones may give you headaches or ear pain after hours of listening. And some people may be more sensitive than others. Tweeter positioning may also reduce the fatigue some may suffer from it in a car.
Absolutely agree, however there are certain details that should be heard in the upper frequencies that some sets wont reproduce due to how laid back the tweeter is.

Old 10-20-2016   #40
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 52 Arete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am still waiting on the helix, rainbow, and PHD to be delivered. I have tested all the sets I have so far and would have to rate the hertz as the number one overall (sq, durability, imaging, etc). I would have rated the JBL on the same level but they did not hold up (the surround came apart from the basket). The Realm are amazing in their own category, they have great tonal accuracy however do not image well off axis due to a high crossover point and inverted dome (they would make a nice home set). I am going to have a much detailed report when I am finished with them all but figured to give some quick thoughts.
I had a feeling the Hertz would do well.

""
Arete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2016   #41
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

I am considering adding some CDT CL-61 to the test, so tempting

Old 10-21-2016   #42
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Quote:
I will give a small review of what I have heard and concluded so far:

Ratings are based on sound only (not price)

Massive zk6: Do not waste your time, midbass extremely muddy, tweeter has no life, stay away. Def 1/10

Alpine type x ref: The midbass was ok, lacked low end authority, and did not like too much power. The tweeter did have top end sparkle but was not extremely clean sounding. The tweeter did not handle off axis as well as some of the others. I would say 4/10

Hertz HSK 165: The midbass is very unique, it responded fast, was able to play low (not as low as the realm), handle power, and produce a clean full bodied midrange. The tweeter had excellent off axis performance, had the top end sparkle when needed however at times sounded a tad harsh (not too often though). The Build quality of the set is fantastic. Would define this more of a reference set out of the group so far (at times can be too analytical, best way to say can come off sometimes dry sounding if that makes sense). Overall a very impressive set. I would rate a solid 8/10

Morel Tempo Ultra: The midbass was the weakest link. It has great low end response however lacked the clarity and fast attack when compared to others. The midbass also could not handle as much power. The tweeter is the shinning gem in this set. Had great top end sparkle, great off axis response, but definitely unique to a specific sound signature. The tweeter could use some more of the upper midrange to fill it out. I would say 5/10 (the midbass needs improvement)

PHD 6.1 Pro: I would define this set as very well rounded. Nothing out performed however everything was extremely well balanced. The midbass had good low end extension, fast attack, clear, and could handle power. The tweeter had a full body sound, clear, but did lack some of the top end sparkle. This set would definitely be for the person who gets fatigued by the top end of the spectrum since the tweeter naturally rolls off early. I am sure you could boost those frequencies with an eq to get a little more of of it. Because of the value, I would say 7/10

Polk MM6501: I am highly impressed with this set. The midbass is definitely great to use in a Car setup due to being tailored to infinite baffle. Had great low end extension, extremely fast lower midrange, loved power, however started to break up on certain songs around 3,400+ hertz and in turn lost some detail. It also was a tad too saturated around 2,800-3,200 hertz. The tweeter performed very well, it had good off axis performance, and great top end sparkle, and extremely clear (at time maybe a tad too much high end sparkle). I would say this is probably the most fun set out of the group (does really well with electronic/techno music), even though it is not necessarily the clearest. I would rate a solid 7/10

Realm LSC6: Out of the entire group this set could handle Power the best. The midbass had the best low end extension out of the group, was extremely clean sounding, however not as fast reacting. The tweeter had the most top end sparkle out of all the sets however is crossed so high it has poor off axis performance and is not practical to use in a vehicle unless you are doing custom fabrication to aim the mid and tweet in the kick panel together. I wouldn't call this set a reference quality but definitely a great sound set of speakers. If I were competing in sql I would be running these. I think I am going to make some bookshelf speakers for my study with these. I would rate 6.5/10
I corrected the reviews after doing some more listening in a much quieter environment in which I was able to hear several characteristics I was not able to previously. Also adding a review of the Focal 165AS

Focal 165AS: This set had the classic Focal sound signature, great dynamics, high end sparkle and very clear sounding. The midbass did lack low end output and I felt it played too high up distracting the sound stage away from the tweeter. The tweeter was crossed very high which inhibited on the soundstage possibilities, however, the tweeter had great clarity. I would rate 6.5/10

Last edited by ANS; 10-21-2016 at 11:39 PM..
Old 10-22-2016   #43
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 116 rockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enough

What happened to the Helix set? Did I just miss it??

2012 Camaro SS Kenwood Source- Helix C62c Components Helix 6x9 JL 12w6v3 Audison LRX 5.1

2010 Honda Ridgeline Kenwood Source Helix RS6 Components Helix 6.5 Coax 2 IDQ10s Helix PSIX DSP Soundstream Nano
rockytophigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2016   #44
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytophigh View Post
What happened to the Helix set? Did I just miss it??
You have not, still waiting for the Helix, Rainbow, Infinity, CDT, and JBL to be delivered.

Old 10-22-2016   #45

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 jijivs will become famous soon enoughjijivs will become famous soon enoughjijivs will become famous soon enoughjijivs will become famous soon enoughjijivs will become famous soon enoughjijivs will become famous soon enough

Sub'ed. Most interesting thread for me in recent times. May be due to the fact that I'm having the itch of upgrading my front speakers from Morel Maximo, powering with a moderate 60W amp.
Btw are you slightly inclined towards brighter sounding tweeters? May be an.odd guess

Drive safe,
JVS
jijivs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2016   #46
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijivs View Post
Sub'ed. Most interesting thread for me in recent times. May be due to the fact that I'm having the itch of upgrading my front speakers from Morel Maximo, powering with a moderate 60W amp.
Btw are you slightly inclined towards brighter sounding tweeters? May be an.odd guess

Drive safe,
JVS
I do like a little bit brighter than the norm however I am reviewing the speakers based on every aspect. Key factor price not being in the way, when you factor in price ratings can be very biased.

Old 10-23-2016   #47
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Deleted

Last edited by ANS; 10-24-2016 at 03:13 AM..
Old 10-23-2016   #48
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Adding
DLS RC6.2

Last edited by ANS; 10-24-2016 at 03:14 AM..
Old 10-23-2016   #49
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 11 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

DLS is very interesting add. Waiting for that
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2016   #50
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Adding CDT HD-M62 instead of cl 61

Sponsored Links
Advertisement