Hertz, Rainbow, Morel, Massive Audio, JBL, Helix Component Comparison - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2016   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 42 Jscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Hertz, Rainbow, Morel, Massive Audio, JBL, Helix Component Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijivs View Post
Sub'ed. Most interesting thread for me in recent times. May be due to the fact that I'm having the itch of upgrading my front speakers from Morel Maximo, powering with a moderate 60W amp.
Btw are you slightly inclined towards brighter sounding tweeters? May be an.odd guess

Drive safe,
JVS
MOAR POWERRR

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2016   #52

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 27 dsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Hertz, Rainbow, Morel, Massive Audio, JBL, Helix Component Comparison

Just curious, how are you listening to all these speakers? I am assuming you are not installing them in your car. Are they all up on a sound board? I was just wondering how the listening tests were being conducted.
dsw1204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2016   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 42 Jscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsw1204 View Post
Just curious, how are you listening to all these speakers? I am assuming you are not installing them in your car. Are they all up on a sound board? I was just wondering how the listening tests were being conducted.
Read the second post (mine). There is abunch of tests done in very high end drivers by someone else awhile back.

I think this test is kind of a moot point as each driver isnt in its "optimal" enclosure. Throwing one driver in a small enclosure that excels in small enclosures and then throwing another driver in there and saying the second sounds worst is kind of...against the point.

The only fair way imo to test it is in a door panel with possibly even eq'd response. Put them all at the same curve and you'll notice whats different and whats just un-eq'd inherent driver FR.

Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2016   #54

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Slow Cruiser will become famous soon enoughSlow Cruiser will become famous soon enoughSlow Cruiser will become famous soon enoughSlow Cruiser will become famous soon enoughSlow Cruiser will become famous soon enoughSlow Cruiser will become famous soon enough

Being new to this kind of SQ audio and reading up on all these different combos. What are the chances when you have everything tested, is to pick your favorites mid and tweets from the lot and put them together and see how they sound?

For myself my so called SQ stuff consists of Diamond Hex 6.0s components, ive had them for 10+ yrs. To me I like the mids but I find that the tweets are harsh, but then they are ran off of the crossover.
Slow Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2016   #55
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:
Sales, Installation, Support

Rep Power: 68 ANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsw1204 View Post
I built an enclosure to resemble a Car door environment and setup a listening environment in my house which re-simulates as close as possible with my ability the interior of a vehicle. A majority of consumers will be mounting their midbass driver in the door location which is why to me this seems the most common place to try to re simulate. Yes certain drivers are better in x and some in y but I am testing based on everyday common Speaker placement.

ANS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2016   #56
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Rep Power: 68 ANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
Read the second post (mine). There is abunch of tests done in very high end drivers by someone else awhile back.

I think this test is kind of a moot point as each driver isnt in its "optimal" enclosure. Throwing one driver in a small enclosure that excels in small enclosures and then throwing another driver in there and saying the second sounds worst is kind of...against the point.

The only fair way imo to test it is in a door panel with possibly even eq'd response. Put them all at the same curve and you'll notice whats different and whats just un-eq'd inherent driver FR.

I wish you wouldn't assume before asking.

I built an enclosure to resemble a Car door environment and setup a listening environment in my house which re-simulates as close as possible with my ability the interior of a vehicle. A majority of consumers will be mounting their midbass driver in the door location which is why to me this seems the most common place to try to re simulate. Yes certain drivers are better in x and some in y but I am testing based on everyday common Speaker placement.

The enclosure I built has 1.5 cubic feet of air, shaped like a door panel. Yes all speakers sound different when put in their optimal cabinet however a majority of consumers are not going to go out of the way to fabricate that optimal cabinet in their vehicle (kickpanels, pods etc). To me, my logic, this is one of the most unbiased way of testing a Speaker for a Car environment due to being placed in a realistic sized cabinet, shaped as a generic vehicle door.

Old 10-24-2016   #57
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

I am starting a new thread which will be the reviews of the speakers selected as this thread can be confusing for a new reader to go by.

Old 10-24-2016   #58
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 192 SkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the rough

curious of the time differences between listening to each set.. seems like days between batches?

"You might want to pick up a MS-8 if you want to play metal"

1990 300zx Build Log
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2016   #59
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
curious of the time differences between listening to each set.. seems like days between batches?
You are correct, I have written down in detail as best as I can the description of each set I listen to, at this time I do not have the luxury of time to be able to sit down and do all of them at once, doing this after work etc.

Old 10-24-2016   #60
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 192 SkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANS View Post
You are correct, I have written down in detail as best as I can the description of each set I listen to, at this time I do not have the luxury of time to be able to sit down and do all of them at once, doing this after work etc.
when you get all of the speakers, you should designate a whole day to re-testing them all in the same day

"You might want to pick up a MS-8 if you want to play metal"

1990 300zx Build Log
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2016   #61
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
when you get all of the speakers, you should designate a whole day to re-testing them all in the same day
definitely going to try to do, my wife is going to kill me though lol

Old 10-24-2016   #62

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 8 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

I agree with what you are suggesting but after years of home audio I find the op listening to all in semi same conditions and your ears will tell you what you like very valid. Now that won't be the same for everyone but it will be pretty consistent to the op. Unless a set is pure garbage that everyone agrees has major faults people will gravitate to those sets with less faults then settle on the ones that fit their preference. The only thing I suggest when the last few are whittled down spend extra extra time on the third or fourth place sets that might not have the whiz bang, twizzle, our other wow factor that impresses at first but requires lots of time to experience the true character. These are actually the most livable and provide the best long term enjoyment for most. or as I call it the sonus faber and vandersteen effect
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2016   #63
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfis View Post
I agree with what you are suggesting but after years of home audio I find the op listening to all in semi same conditions and your ears will tell you what you like very valid. Now that won't be the same for everyone but it will be pretty consistent to the op. Unless a set is pure garbage that everyone agrees has major faults people will gravitate to those sets with less faults then settle on the ones that fit their preference. The only thing I suggest when the last few are whittled down spend extra extra time on the third or fourth place sets that might not have the whiz bang, twizzle, our other wow factor that impresses at first but requires lots of time to experience the true character. These are actually the most livable and provide the best long term enjoyment for most. or as I call it the sonus faber and vandersteen effect
very well said, thank you!

Old 10-24-2016   #64
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

I just added the inifinity kappa perfect to the mini reviews, I also revised some of the ratings and reviews, as I listen to more speakers I have a broader reference of poor vs great quality.

Iinfinity kappa perfect 6.1: Infinity kappa perfect 6.1: First impressions great Build quality! The midbass driver is very adequate, smooth sounding but lacking in detail however can handle Power very well. The tweeter can be bright if on axis, however the crossover has plenty of adjustment options to control the output. The off axis response of the tweeter is adequate but not great, you will have to use the crossover to boost the tweeter if off axis anymore than 30 degrees. The tweeter does not like being crossed too low as well, even on the passive crossover provided it lacks very fine detail on the lower end of its frequency band. This is still a nice set of speakers by all means but just does not have the level of detail you would expect. 6.5/10

Massive zk6: This set doesn't deserve my time to write a review they are that bad. Do not waste your time, midbass extremely muddy, tweeter is poor quality. 1/10

Alpine type x ref: The midbass was ok, lacked low end authority, and did not like too much power. I was expecting a higher level of detail from the midbass which is simply did not deliver. The tweeter did have top end sparkle but was not the cleanest sounding. The tweeter did not handle off axis as well as some of the others. The Build quality of the set was very impressive though. 4.5/10

Hertz HSK 165: The midbass is very unique, it responded fast, was able to play low (not as low as the realm), handle power, and produced a clean full bodied midrange, probably the cleanest sounding midbass of the group so far. The tweeter had excellent off axis performance, had the top end sparkle when needed however at times sounded a tad harsh, little to much sibilance at times, the tweeter was definitely the weak point of the set. The build quality of the set is fantastic. At times can sound too analytical. Overall a very impressive set. Solid 7.5/10

Morel Tempo Ultra: The midbass was the weakest link. It has great low end response however lacked the clarity and fast attack when compared to others. The midbass also could not handle as much power. The tweeter is the shinning gem in this set. Had great top end sparkle, great off axis response, but definitely unique to a specific sound signature. The tweeter could use some more output of the upper midrange to make it sound more full. I would say 5/10 (the midbass needs improvement)

PHD 6.1 Pro: UPDATED ***Turns out the crossover was bad (retested with similar crossover)*** UPDATED: I would define this set as extremely well rounded, very well balanced. The midbass had great low end extension, fast attack, clear, and could handle power. The tweeter had a full body sound, clear, lacked a very minor amount of the top end sparkle but very clean sounding tweeter. The tweeter had great off axis performance, and was crossed low so allowed for a great sound stage and imaging. Highly recommend this set. 8.25/10

Polk MM6501: I am highly impressed with this set. The midbass is definitely great to use in a Car setup due to being tailored to infinite baffle. Had great low end extension, extremely fast lower midrange, loved power, however started to break up on certain songs around 3,400+ hertz and in turn lost some detail. It also was a tad too saturated around 2,800-3,200 hertz. The tweeter performed very well, it had good off axis performance, and great top end sparkle, and extremely clear (at time maybe a tad too much high end sparkle). I would say this is probably the most fun set out of the group (does really well with electronic/techno music), even though it is not necessarily the clearest. I would rate a solid 7/10

Realm LSC6: Out of the entire group this set could handle Power the best. The midbass had the best low end extension out of the group, was extremely clean sounding, however not as fast reacting. The tweeter had the most top end sparkle out of all the sets however is crossed so high it has poor off axis performance and is not practical to use in a vehicle unless you are doing custom fabrication to aim the mid and tweet in the kick panel together. I wouldn't call this set a reference quality but definitely a great sound set of speakers. If I were competing in sql I would be running these. I think I am going to make some bookshelf speakers for my study with these. I would rate 6.5/10

Focal 165AS: This set had the classic Focal sound signature, great dynamics, high end sparkle and very clear sounding. The midbass lacked low end output however had was very clear but weirdly not very tight sounding. The mid played so high up due to a high crossover point which left a poor soundstage. The tweeter played very clear however again, because of how high crossed the soundstage was very poor. The tweeter also performed poorly off axis. I would rate 5.5/10

Last edited by ANS; 10-24-2016 at 09:43 PM..
Old 10-27-2016   #65
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Not sure if the DLS is going to happen, placed the order through the DLS USA however never received any shipping info. I called them and they are saying they are out of stock of the item and tried upgrading me but really downgrading lol. I refused and they are refunding me, be warned, the DLS USA website is not accurate and the company servicing DLS in the US won't contact you, you will have to reach out to them.

Old 10-27-2016   #66

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 7 OldNewb will become famous soon enoughOldNewb will become famous soon enoughOldNewb will become famous soon enoughOldNewb will become famous soon enoughOldNewb will become famous soon enoughOldNewb will become famous soon enough

Man that's hard to here.
OldNewb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2016   #67

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 slain93gsr has a reputation beyond reputeslain93gsr has a reputation beyond reputeslain93gsr has a reputation beyond reputeslain93gsr has a reputation beyond reputeslain93gsr has a reputation beyond reputeslain93gsr has a reputation beyond reputeslain93gsr has a reputation beyond reputeslain93gsr has a reputation beyond reputeslain93gsr has a reputation beyond reputeslain93gsr has a reputation beyond reputeslain93gsr has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for doing this comparison..

2005 M5 6 SPD and 2003 CL-S 6 SPD
“Sound unbound by nature becomes bounded by art.”
― Dejan Stojanovic
slain93gsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2016   #68
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

DLS Update: They found one set and let me know they are going to send them to me.

Old 10-27-2016   #69
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slain93gsr View Post
thanks for doing this comparison..
I have always wanted to be able to do this, be able to have so many various brands at so many various price points and just base this off the sound quality. Granted everyone hears differently but I am trying to be as unbiased as possible.

Old 11-02-2016   #70
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

I was finally able to test the DLS RC6.2

DLS RC6.2: The packaging the speakers come in is very well laid out. The Build quality of the crossovers and tweeters are very good, however there were defects with one of the midbass drivers. The magnet was uneven with the basket. This left me only being able to play one side of the set. The tweeter could be considered on the brighter side (not ear peircing bright but definitely biased). It had great clarity and resolution. The midbass had a lot of output. I wouldn't say it was the clearest midbass out of the group but far from the worse, definitely better than the infinity kappa perfect midbass. The set handled Power very well and never lost control or broke up. If you are on a budget this could be a contender. I rate this set 7/10

Old 11-06-2016   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 160 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for doing this!
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2016   #72
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Been listening to the Rainbow SL-6.2C for the last two days, will post mini review tomorrow.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #73

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Shifting gears will become famous soon enoughShifting gears will become famous soon enoughShifting gears will become famous soon enoughShifting gears will become famous soon enoughShifting gears will become famous soon enoughShifting gears will become famous soon enough

What's your opinion on the rainbow,s..Looking to purchase a set of components and im happy to come across your tread.
Shifting gears is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #74
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifting gears View Post
What's your opinion on the rainbow,s..Looking to purchase a set of components and im happy to come across your tread.
I am very impressed with the Rainbow's. Their Build quality is top notch, tweeters sound great, and the midbass had a lot of output. My only con would be on the mid/lower lines lack clarity on the midbass driver, noticable around 3,000-4,000 hertz.

Sorry guys I have not posted in a while. Been in and out of the hospital.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement