Hertz, Rainbow, Morel, Massive Audio, JBL, Helix Component Comparison - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2017   #76
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Showdown Audio
Position:
Sales, Installation, Support

Rep Power: 74 ANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Hertz, Rainbow, Morel, Massive Audio, JBL, Helix Component Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth619 View Post
Any updates? Excellent thread btw.
Will have more updates coming in the following weeks, getting back on my feet.

ANS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2017   #77
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Showdown Audio
Position:

Rep Power: 74 ANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Hertz, Rainbow, Morel, Massive Audio, JBL, Helix Component Comparison

I have started to review speakers again, slowly getting back into it. I have revised my ratings and reviews as well as adding a review of the rainbow set.

Massive zk6: Do not waste your time, midbass extremely muddy, tweeter has no life, stay away. Def 1/10

Alpine type x ref: The midbass was ok, lacked low end authority, and did not like too much power. The tweeter did have top end sparkle but was not extremely clean sounding. The tweeter did not handle off axis as well as some of the others, very sensative. 4/10

Hertz HSK 165: The midbass is very unique, it responded fast, was able to play low (not as low as the realm), handle power, and produce a clean full bodied midrange. The tweeter had excellent off axis performance, had the top end sparkle when needed however at times sounded a tad harsh (not too often though). The build quality of the set is fantastic. Would define this more of a reference set out of the group so far (at times can be too analytical, best way to say can come off sometimes dry sounding if that makes sense). Overall a very impressive set. I would rate a solid 8/10

Morel Tempo Ultra: The midbass was the weakest link. It has great low end response however lacked the clarity and fast attack when compared to others. The midbass also could not handle as much power. The tweeter is the shinning gem in this set. Had great top end sparkle, great off axis response, but definitely unique to a specific sound signature. The tweeter could use some more of the upper midrange to fill it out. I would say 5/10 (the midbass needs improvement)

PHD 6.1 Pro: I would define this set as very well rounded. No one characteristic out performed the other, everything was extremely well balanced. The midbass had good low end extension, fast attack, clear, and could handle power. The tweeter had a full body sound, clear, but did lack some of the top end sparkle. This set would definitely be for the person who gets fatigued by too much top end sparkle since the tweeter naturally rolls off early. I am sure you could boost those frequencies with an eq to get a little more of of it. Because of the value, I would say 7/10

Polk MM6501: I am highly impressed with this set. The midbass is definitely great to use in a car door setup due to being tailored to infinite baffle. The midbass had great low end extension, extremely fast lower midrange, loved power, however had a pitfall; it started to break up on certain songs around 3,400+ hertz and in turn lost detail. It also was a tad too saturated around 2,800-3,200 hertz. The tweeter performed very well, it had good off axis performance, and great top end sparkle, and extremely clear (maybe at times a tad too much high end sparkle). I would say this is probably the most fun set out of the group (does really well with electronic/techno music), even though it is not necessarily the clearest. I would rate a solid 6.75/10

Realm LSC6: Out of the entire group this set could handle the most amount of power. The midbass had decent low end extension, was average in the midrange (midrange was over saturated) and not as fast reacting as the others. The tweeter had the most top end sparkle out of all the sets however is crossed so high it has poor off axis performance and is not practical to use in a vehicle unless you are doing custom fabrication to aim the mid and tweet in the kick panel together. I wouldn't call this set a reference quality set but definitely but not a poor sounding set, definitly the most average of the group. If I were competing in sql I would be running these due to the shear power they can handle. 5.75/10

Focal 165AS: This set had the classic Focal sound signature, great dynamics, high end sparkle and very clear sounding. The midbass lacked low end output and the crossover allowed the midbass to play into the higher end freqeuncies in which it starts to breakup some. The tweeter was crossed very high which inhibited the soundstage possibilities, however, the tweeter had great clarity. I would rate 6/10

DLS RC6.2 (Re-reviewed with new set): The packaging the speakers come in is very well laid out. The build quality of all the components is great for the price point. Out of all the sets I have reviewed I would rate these my favorite so far. The midbass had great power handling (right behind the realm), great low end bass extension and output; however, they lacked ever so slightly in the higher midrange (easily boosted with the eq). Very impressed with the midbass driver due to it being a metal cone speaker, probably the cleanest sounding metal cone speaker I have heard yet. The tweeter is definitly designed for off axis response, it has a steady slope increasing the higher the frequency increased. The crossover does come with a -3db setting which will tame the tweeter if being used in an on axis install. The tweeter is extremely clear, and loves power. The sonic signature of this speaker set is pure bliss to me, great bass output, fast attack (drum solos are amazing!), and great top end extension. Not to mention the price you can grab this set is one of the lowest of the group. Solid 8/10

Rainbow SL-6.2C: The midbass and tweeter construction gave great first impressions, great build quality. The midbass had above average output, above average low end extension, however started to breakup a little in the higher midrange frequencies (The aluminum cone showing its trade offs). The tweeter had great clarity and excellent top end sparkle. It did not like power as much as the DLS though, output is more limited than other sets (don't get me wrong, still plenty loud!) Great set of speakers, a top contender. 7.25/10

The Following User Says Thank You to ANS For This Useful Post:
DejaWiz (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017   #78
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

You can't say Hertz is good on here. That's the devil.
You should try the XL. The tweeter can play lower so it takes some of the top end harshness out.
DC/Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017   #79
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 214 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

I don't know if it's been asked before, but are you tuning each setup to the same response?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017   #80
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 101 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Op, did you just ask manufacturers to send you samples for testing at no cost or you are funding this testing yourself getting a wholesale or lower price to be able to do it?

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017   #81
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Showdown Audio
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post

Op, did you just ask manufacturers to send you samples for testing at no cost or you are funding this testing yourself getting a wholesale or lower price to be able to do it?
None of the items were provided by manufacturers, I either purchased the items (some on ebay, some at brick and mortar stores where I know the owners, some through distributors, and some lent to me by friends).

Old 04-14-2017   #82
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Showdown Audio
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
I don't know if it's been asked before, but are you tuning each setup to the same response?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I test each speaker set in the same conditions, same variables, same air space (simulating a car door). The only thing that changes is the amount of power be provided (same amplifier though). Since each speaker set has a different amount of power handling that is the only factor that changes. Listening environment and listening position stay the same other than doing a on and off axis test of all.

Old 04-14-2017   #83

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 33 dsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enough

Man, I was really disappointed in reading your review of the Morel Tempo Ultra 602s. Your experience and mine are totally different. I'm very pleased with the bass response. I think it is fairly deep and pretty tight. And, the tweeters are outstanding. I can play these speakers loud for a long time and NOT get ear fatigue. I love that about these speakers.

But, until I read your reviews, I was absolutely sure I would be getting another set when I get another car. Now, I am not so sure. I did appreciate your insights and your efforts with starting (and following through on) this thread.

Now, I did not have the opportunity to compare my Tempo Ultras with the other brands as you had. I did compare them to an appropriately prices set of Focals (I don't remember the model # of them) at a local shop and did like the Morels better. I guess I would have to look at those HSKs in the future, but I hear they have been discontinued by Hertz.

All in all, I am still absolutely pleased with my Tempo Ultra 602s. By far, these are the best front stage speakers I have ever owned.
dsw1204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017   #84
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Showdown Audio
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsw1204 View Post
Man, I was really disappointed in reading your review of the Morel Tempo Ultra 602s. Your experience and mine are totally different. I'm very pleased with the bass response. I think it is fairly deep and pretty tight. And, the tweeters are outstanding. I can play these speakers loud for a long time and NOT get ear fatigue. I love that about these speakers.

But, until I read your reviews, I was absolutely sure I would be getting another set when I get another car. Now, I am not so sure. I did appreciate your insights and your efforts with starting (and following through on) this thread.

Now, I did not have the opportunity to compare my Tempo Ultras with the other brands as you had. I did compare them to an appropriately prices set of Focals (I don't remember the model # of them) at a local shop and did like the Morels better. I guess I would have to look at those HSKs in the future, but I hear they have been discontinued by Hertz.

All in all, I am still absolutely pleased with my Tempo Ultra 602s. By far, these are the best front stage speakers I have ever owned.
In the beginning I was really excited to listen to the Morel's. I thought I was going to be happier with the results. Maybe the set was defective or a fake (haven't seen any fakes of these yet though)? These tests are purely subjective as well as everyone has different tastes etc

Old 04-15-2017   #85

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 33 dsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANS View Post
In the beginning I was really excited to listen to the Morel's. I thought I was going to be happier with the results. Maybe the set was defective or a fake (haven't seen any fakes of these yet though)? These tests are purely subjective as well as everyone has different tastes etc
Yeah, I know the tests results were completely subjective. I, generally, I like subjective test results when it comes to this kind of stuff. I was just hoping you agreed with me. But, like you said, "everyone has different tastes".

So, I have a question for you: As I said in my previous post, one of the best features of my Tempo Ultras was that I can play them loud and not get ear fatigue. Nor, do I get ringing in my ears after extended sessions of loud playing. With your experience with the DLS RC6.2 speakers, can you say the same after extended loud sessions of playing?

I may have to consider those RC6.2 speakers for my next set. Maybe. It is going to be hard to switch from the Tempo Ultra 602's.
dsw1204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2017   #86
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Showdown Audio
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsw1204 View Post
Yeah, I know the tests results were completely subjective. I, generally, I like subjective test results when it comes to this kind of stuff. I was just hoping you agreed with me. But, like you said, "everyone has different tastes".

So, I have a question for you: As I said in my previous post, one of the best features of my Tempo Ultras was that I can play them loud and not get ear fatigue. Nor, do I get ringing in my ears after extended sessions of loud playing. With your experience with the DLS RC6.2 speakers, can you say the same after extended loud sessions of playing?

I may have to consider those RC6.2 speakers for my next set. Maybe. It is going to be hard to switch from the Tempo Ultra 602's.
I would run the tweeters off axis as they are designed for or use the -2.5db attenuation on the crossover if using on axis. When used as such they do not give me any ear fatigue.

Old 04-17-2017   #87

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 117 pickup1 will become famous soon enoughpickup1 will become famous soon enoughpickup1 will become famous soon enoughpickup1 will become famous soon enoughpickup1 will become famous soon enoughpickup1 will become famous soon enough

How did the helix do?
pickup1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017   #88
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Showdown Audio
Position:

Random side note: I have been listening to a set of cdt components, haven't finished my tests yet. The cdt hd-m6 midbass driver is probably one of the most natural sounding I have heard yet. The tweeter is nothing special. Will keep you posted.

Old 04-20-2017   #89
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 101 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Great! I think I mentioned before the Morel model tested would not be a fair comparison to a Hertz HSK, perhaps you can find a low price on a Hertz set and not the Morel making them close in price range but a Morel SW or MW woofer would be a more suitable comparison, for midbass at louder levels, then again Morel still has a laid back sound when it comes to tweeters, and tuned well will satisfy the same Hertz fans quite bit would be my thoughts based on ownership of both sets

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017   #90
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Showdown Audio
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
Great! I think I mentioned before the Morel model tested would not be a fair comparison to a Hertz HSK, perhaps you can find a low price on a Hertz set and not the Morel making them close in price range but a Morel SW or MW woofer would be a more suitable comparison, for midbass at louder levels, then again Morel still has a laid back sound when it comes to tweeters, and tuned well will satisfy the same Hertz fans quite bit would be my thoughts based on ownership of both sets
I agree, the comparison of the speakers is not based on price but rather what I can get my hands on to test. I was hoping there would be a set priced inexpensive that could take one of the top end sets well but still searching.

Old 04-20-2017   #91

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 135 theothermike will become famous soon enoughtheothermike will become famous soon enoughtheothermike will become famous soon enoughtheothermike will become famous soon enoughtheothermike will become famous soon enoughtheothermike will become famous soon enough

no insight on rainbows?

Current Setup: 2013 VW CC TO BE DETERMINED!
theothermike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #92

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Nels17 will become famous soon enoughNels17 will become famous soon enoughNels17 will become famous soon enoughNels17 will become famous soon enoughNels17 will become famous soon enoughNels17 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your insightful info and time! Regarding the CDT"s, any further observations regarding performance and how you rate them among st the others?

What is your current setup?

Thanks!!
Nels17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement