Hertz, Rainbow, Morel, Massive Audio, JBL, Helix Component Comparison - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2016   #1
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:
Sales, Installation, Support

Rep Power: 70 ANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enough

Default Hertz, Rainbow, Morel, Massive Audio, JBL, Helix Component Comparison

Hello Everyone,

I will be performing a interesting comparison between the following 6.5" component sets:

Massive audio ZK6
Rainbow SL-C6.2
Helix E62C.2
Hertz HSK165
Morel Tempo Ultra 602
JBL P660C

My test bench consists of the following:

Source: Kenwood KDC-X997
Amplifier: EFX 250C2 (100X2 @ 4 ohms, and 125X2 @ 2 ohms)

I am not the best writer so be easy on me! I have always been wanting to do a comparison between some of the lower priced tier components and some of the mid level priced components. It will be intriguing to see how they stack up to each other. I will be performing on axis and off axis evaluations of all the speakers and provide a detailed description of the sound signature of each set. I will also be using an rta to measure each set and will post the results. Just for fun I am going to do a blind a and b comparison. I will have one set on one channel of the amplifier and vice versa (our ears do not lie). By doing this I am trying to ultimately decide which set stands out the best. Some of the product is still being shipped to me from all parts of the world. I predict it will be 1-2 weeks before I have all the product and everything setup. Feel free to ask any questions as I will do my best to answer them to the best of my ability. If anybody is local to me I am more than happy to audition all the sets (from what I recall I do not think this mixture has ever been done before).

David
ANS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2016   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 44 Jscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Hertz, Rainbow, Morel, Massive Audio, JBL, Helix Component Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANS View Post
Hello Everyone,

I will be performing a interesting comparison between the following 6.5" component sets:

Massive audio ZK6
Rainbow SL-C6.2
Helix E62C.2
Hertz HSK165
Morel Tempo Ultra 602
JBL P660C

My test bench consists of the following:

Source: Kenwood KDC-X997
Amplifier: EFX 250C2 (100X2 @ 4 ohms, and 125X2 @ 2 ohms)

I am not the best writer so be easy on me! I have always been wanting to do a comparison between some of the lower priced tier components and some of the mid level priced components. It will be intriguing to see how they stack up to each other. I will be performing on axis and off axis evaluations of all the speakers and provide a detailed description of the sound signature of each set. I will also be using an rta to measure each set and will post the results. Just for fun I am going to do a blind a and b comparison. I will have one set on one channel of the amplifier and vice versa (our ears do not lie). By doing this I am trying to ultimately decide which set stands out the best. Some of the product is still being shipped to me from all parts of the world. I predict it will be 1-2 weeks before I have all the product and everything setup. Feel free to ask any questions as I will do my best to answer them to the best of my ability. If anybody is local to me I am more than happy to audition all the sets (from what I recall I do not think this mixture has ever been done before).

David
6"-7" Mid-Woofer Subjective Listening Test (RESULTS PDF ATTACHED IN 1ST POST)

4" Midrange Comparison Shootout. RESULTS Thread!

and if your using an enclosure. Be sure to read this.

Diffraction Doesn't Have to be a Problem

The first two links are a very good source of how to properly test speakers. For instance. Putting all of them in the same size box is pointless as each Speaker has an optimal enclosure volume due to TS specs.
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2016   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 49 frontman will become famous soon enoughfrontman will become famous soon enoughfrontman will become famous soon enoughfrontman will become famous soon enoughfrontman will become famous soon enoughfrontman will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Hertz, Rainbow, Morel, Massive Audio, JBL, Helix Component Comparison

Sub'd - interested in this comparison
frontman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 tqspr will become famous soon enoughtqspr will become famous soon enoughtqspr will become famous soon enoughtqspr will become famous soon enoughtqspr will become famous soon enoughtqspr will become famous soon enough

Sub'd. Very interested as well. I will be in the market for a 6.5 component set soon and, unfortunately, I don't have local dealers for some of this brands. Very interested to see the comparison!
tqspr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2016   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 44 Jscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqspr View Post
Sub'd. Very interested as well. I will be in the market for a 6.5 component set soon and, unfortunately, I don't have local dealers for some of this brands. Very interested to see the comparison!
Check out the links I posted for high end stuff

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2016   #6
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Rep Power: 70 ANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enoughANS will become famous soon enough

I might be adding a set of Realm LS6c components to the mix. Its going to be 1-2 weeks before I have all the products delivered. Awaiting the helix and rainbow from Germany and the Morel from Israel.
Old 10-06-2016   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

What kinda prices are you getting?

Old 10-06-2016   #8
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
What kinda prices are you getting?

Can't post, would have to pm.
Old 10-06-2016   #9
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

How much air space do you think the average door panel have?
Old 10-06-2016   #10
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Acoustical Mad Scientist

Rep Power: 80 Jazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
How much air space do you think the average door panel have?
Large enough that it won't influence the behavior of the woofers in a significant way. The best way to do this would be on a very large baffle with no enclosure on the rear. The larger the baffle the better (six foot+ diameter circle would be a goal to aim for). If you can Build a big one like that, then you can make quasi-anechoic measurements to get the on and off axis frequency response measurements. Then you need to splice those together with measurement from less than an inch from the woofer's dust cap to get a good measurement of the bass.

This entire process of making quality measurements is not very straight forward or easy to do. But if you're trying to make the best use of the equipment you have and the chance to review the gear you will will have access to, then it's worth trying to do your best, right? You can learn all of these things from Testing Loudspeakers by Joseph D’Appolito. It's very affordable and written in plain English for the average enthusiast to learn from.

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
-My 2002 VW Golf stealth SQ build (an engineering student's perspective)
-Jazzi's tuning companion for Room EQ Wizard
Jazzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2016   #11
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
Large enough that it won't influence the behavior of the woofers in a significant way. The best way to do this would be on a very large baffle with no enclosure on the rear. The larger the baffle the better (six foot+ diameter circle would be a goal to aim for). If you can Build a big one like that, then you can make quasi-anechoic measurements to get the on and off axis frequency response measurements. Then you need to splice those together with measurement from less than an inch from the woofer's dust cap to get a good measurement of the bass.

This entire process of making quality measurements is not very straight forward or easy to do. But if you're trying to make the best use of the equipment you have and the chance to review the gear you will will have access to, then it's worth trying to do your best, right? You can learn all of these things from Testing Loudspeakers by Joseph D’Appolito. It's very affordable and written in plain English for the average enthusiast to learn from.
I just purchased that book and Loudspeaker Design Cookbook to further expand my testing methods. Reason I wondered about the air space is because some vehicles have extremely well sealed door panels other than the window gasket at the top. Would that still act like an Infinite Baffle instead of a sealed enclosure? I am guessing, 1.5 cubic feet air space on average in a fairly well sealed door?
Old 10-06-2016   #12
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Just picked up an Alpine spx-17ref componenet to add to the review, person at garage sale had them still with a Car toys price tag on them for $450 lol. The set is missing some tweeter mounts I was able to get them for pennies on the dollar.
Old 10-06-2016   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 9 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

What are you going to do with the left overs? Im interested in the morel and alpine
dcfis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2016   #14
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfis View Post
What are you going to do with the left overs? Im interested in the morel and alpine
Probably keep some and sell others.
Old 10-06-2016   #15
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Acoustical Mad Scientist

Rep Power: 80 Jazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I just purchased that book and Loudspeaker Design Cookbook to further expand my testing methods. Reason I wondered about the air space is because some vehicles have extremely well sealed door panels other than the window gasket at the top. Would that still act like an Infinite Baffle instead of a sealed enclosure? I am guessing, 1.5 cubic feet air space on average in a fairly well sealed door?
Those two books are faaaantastic. Good job.

What you describe would behave like a "large" leaky box. The woofer will act more similarly to an infinite baffle install more than a sealed box, and some of the rear wave will mix with the front wave causing some amount of cancellation. The exact frequencies and attenuation can vary, but it's usually the lower octaves and the amount is proportional to the amount of air leakage.

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
Old 10-07-2016   #16
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
Those two books are faaaantastic. Good job.

What you describe would behave like a "large" leaky box. The woofer will act more similarly to an infinite baffle install more than a sealed box, and some of the rear wave will mix with the front wave causing some amount of cancellation. The exact frequencies and attenuation can vary, but it's usually the lower octaves and the amount is proportional to the amount of air leakage.
So not really a true sealed enclosure nor a true infinite baffle. In between the two?
Old 10-07-2016   #17
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Acoustical Mad Scientist

Pretty much. If the airspace is large enough it will not have a significant effect on the behavior of the woofer. If also the rear wave is completely separated from the front wave, then you have an infinite baffle. If the airspace is small enough to effect the behavior of the woofer, then you have a "large" sealed box. Smaller still and you get a traditional sealed box where the airspace augments the soft parts of the woofer and the behavior is (hopefully) what you want. If the rear wave can interact with the front wave, then you have a leaky enclosure and some cancellation will occur. If the rear wave augments the front wave in a way that benefits you, then you might have a tuned leaky box and if you do it just right by using the appropriate math, you get a ported enclosure, or maybe some variation of a horn or transmission line or one of many other kinds of enclosures.

And some combination of anything between is possible, which is what a somewhat large leaky Car door with non-rigid walls is. It is not ideal or optimized for anything in particular, but it can work well enough that most people still enjoy it.

Old 10-10-2016   #18
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Adding PHD FB 6.1 KIT PRO to the comparison.

Old 10-13-2016   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 51 Arete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enough

Interested to see how the HSK set does in this test. I loved mine.
Arete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2016   #20
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Change of plans, will be powering the component sets with a gladen rs150c2, much better quality reference point

Old 10-15-2016   #21
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Well I started listening to the sets I have received so far. Not going to go into detail yet bit I will say that the Realms are very impressive.

Old 10-17-2016   #22
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

I am still waiting on the helix, rainbow, and PHD to be delivered. I have tested all the sets I have so far and would have to rate the hertz as the number one overall (sq, durability, imaging, etc). I would have rated the JBL on the same level but they did not hold up (the surround came apart from the basket). The Realm are amazing in their own category, they have great tonal accuracy however do not image well off axis due to a high crossover point and inverted dome (they would make a nice home set). I am going to have a much detailed report when I am finished with them all but figured to give some quick thoughts.

Old 10-17-2016   #23

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 9 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

Hmm, terrible on the jbl. Looking sound they might have had a batch problem

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/.../131431?page=1
dcfis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2016   #24
ANS

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Fry's Electronics
Position:

Just listened to the morel's, Wow, very clear. The tweeter is so far the best out of the bunch so far. The mid doesn't like too much Power though, wouldn't cross anything lower than 80hz. Again alot more details to come. Still waiting on deliveries. I did get the PHD speakers in however the package was crushed so I am trying to resolve that as well.

Old 10-19-2016   #25

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 sareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just listened to the morel's, Wow, very clear. The tweeter is so far the best out of the bunch so far. The mid doesn't like too much Power though, wouldn't cross anything lower than 80hz. Again alot more details to come. Still waiting on deliveries. I did get the PHD speakers in however the package was crushed so I am trying to resolve that as well.
How would you rate Morel vs Hertz in general ?
I am confused which to buy. the normal tempo (157$) or the esk 165 (205$).

Last edited by sareea; 10-19-2016 at 07:04 AM..
sareea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement