Audio Development ESA Bass & Vipera F6 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2017   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 66 mitsukid will become famous soon enoughmitsukid will become famous soon enoughmitsukid will become famous soon enoughmitsukid will become famous soon enoughmitsukid will become famous soon enoughmitsukid will become famous soon enough

Default Audio Development ESA Bass & Vipera F6

A short review of the Audio Development ESA Bass & Vipera F6 midbass speakers:

Before using the AD speakers, I had a pair of Dynaudio 650s in each door powered by a Brax Matrix MX4 with two channels bridged to each pair. They were in a 3-way setup with a band pass of around 80-450 Hz.

In a quest for increased low-end midbass with the special requirement of maintaining composure at high volume levels, and after discussing my goal with Jerry Niebur of High Definition Mobile Audio and Emilios Mandalios of Audio Excellent, I first purchased a pair of the Vipera F6.

The F6 has a Xmax listed as plus or minus 13mm. It definitely provided the low-end midbass I was looking for, and performed very well at high volume levels with a high pass as low as 55-60 Hz. It is, however, more of a subwoofer than a true midbass, and was not as detailed and articulate as the 650.

I then decided to try the AD ESA Bass which is more of a true midbass. Immediately after installing them, I noticed the return of the detail I had with the 650. The ESA was smooth and articulate and very comparable - if not better than - the 650 in the 80-450 Hz range. Below 80 Hz, I feel like the ESA produces more output with more control at high volume levels. I currently have them on a high pass of 65 Hz.

The face of the ESA and F6 look very similar. The ESA is on the right at the front of the door, the F6 on the left. Sorry I don't have any pics of the rear of the speakers right now to post.

The ESA and F6 are currently on the same channel. I know this is not ideal, but they actually sound quite good this way after some tuning with a Helix DSP Pro. I hope to run a 4-way setup soon with each on its own channel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1023.jpg (76.5 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1022.jpg (57.7 KB, 99 views)
mitsukid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2017   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 148 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Default Re: Audio Development ESA Bass & Vipera F6

Great review of fantastic speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 edouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enough

I cannot find a website for Audio Development. Is there one?

2015 Hyundai Sonata
edouble101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 66 mitsukid will become famous soon enoughmitsukid will become famous soon enoughmitsukid will become famous soon enoughmitsukid will become famous soon enoughmitsukid will become famous soon enoughmitsukid will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by edouble101 View Post

You can download their catalog here:
LABORATORIO AUDIO

And they have a Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/AD-Audio-De...4460858620212/
Old 01-25-2017   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 75 SQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enoughSQ_TSX will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by edouble101 View Post
LABORATORIO AUDIO

http://www.audioexcellent.com/audio
SQ_TSX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 edouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsukid View Post
You can download their catalog here:
LABORATORIO AUDIO

And they have a Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/AD-Audio-De...4460858620212/
Thank you

2015 Hyundai Sonata
edouble101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

I don't think the ESA Bass is in their catalog. Here is some info I have on it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ESA BASS - scheda1 (2).pdf (78.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: pdf ESA BASS - scheda2 (1).pdf (416.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-25-2017   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you need a sub that can play higher
DC/Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC/Hertz View Post
Sounds like you need a sub that can play higher
I currently have two IDMAX 15s in a vented push-pull enclosure band-passed at 27 - 80 Hz. They have a reputation for performing very well at higher frequencies and that has been my experience as well.

The primary issue was at high volume levels. I like to listen to music often at very high volume. The 650s are great, but in my opionion, they just don't perform as well at the very higher volume levels like the ADs do, and the ESA Bass may actually sound a little better than the 650 in some aspects at lower volume levels as well.
Old 01-25-2017   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 52 norurb will become famous soon enoughnorurb will become famous soon enoughnorurb will become famous soon enoughnorurb will become famous soon enoughnorurb will become famous soon enoughnorurb will become famous soon enough

How much do the ESAs cost?
norurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Been here long time

Rep Power: 918 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

Fan of the W series, in fact I have a pair of the 5 1/4's still uninstalled and waiting for a good excuse to use them.

edit: called the "100 series"

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, Build MS-8, Massive NX4 pair, Massive N3, ID X6x9, Wavecor center, Alpine SPX Pro tweeters, Sundown SD3 10's
2017 Colorado, Helix V Eight, Arc 500.1, ID8's, Audible Physics AR3 & AR20
fourthmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 148 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

The ESA Bass (6.5") drivers run $1299/pair.

Quote:
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Old 01-26-2017   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 16 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
The ESA Bass (6.5") drivers run $1299/pair.
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2017   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 918 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, far out of my range too. But AD's lower end is still amazing. Neibur, share the going rates of the lower lines if you don't mind.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, Build MS-8, Massive NX4 pair, Massive N3, ID X6x9, Wavecor center, Alpine SPX Pro tweeters, Sundown SD3 10's
Old 01-27-2017   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthmeal View Post
Yeah, far out of my range too. But AD's lower end is still amazing. Neibur, share the going rates of the lower lines if you don't mind.
Ask, and you shall receive!!!!

Edit: Damn, it didn't work. Let me try again.

Quote:
Old 01-27-2017   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

It should be there now.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2016 17 AD Mobile MSRP Price list.pdf (462.6 KB, 40 views)

Quote:
Old 01-28-2017   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

I will admit to you now, I much-preferred the price I paid used (partially used) from a fellow DIYMA member. They are nice but I'd have a hard time with W600's costing in the $500's.

Old 02-24-2017   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 126 LaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to LaserSVT

Holy crap! TWO F6s in the doors! Those are some seriously impressive speakers and just one set in my Audi slammed hard and with a heavily deadened door still would flex the outer skin.

Great speakers. Thanks for the review.

LaserSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2017   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 17 RVA_LVER will become famous soon enoughRVA_LVER will become famous soon enoughRVA_LVER will become famous soon enoughRVA_LVER will become famous soon enoughRVA_LVER will become famous soon enoughRVA_LVER will become famous soon enough

Curious about both of these drivers... leaning towards the F6's for MB duty now.. was going to do an 8", but going to stick with the 6.5" size...

I have owned both the E650 and GB60 drivers, as well as a few others that are comparable...

I felt the E650 was definitely lacking in the midbass frequencies compared to the GB60's..

For this reason I will likely go back to GB60's, but I'm really intrigued by the F6's. I guess I will just have to get a pair and try them out... I'm sure the detail and tonal accuracy is likely similar between the GB and the Vipera line, but I'll have a bit more oomph, especially in the 55-200hZ area... I'd be running them from 50-400 or so... still uncertain about keeping them IB in my doors or having a custom sealed enclosure fabbed up for them there...

Anyway, thanks for the review!
RVA_LVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement