Hertz H8 DSP or Audison bit-Ten D? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2017   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 24 QualitySound will become famous soon enoughQualitySound will become famous soon enoughQualitySound will become famous soon enoughQualitySound will become famous soon enoughQualitySound will become famous soon enoughQualitySound will become famous soon enough

Default Hertz H8 DSP or Audison bit-Ten D?

Hi Guys. It's been a while. I hope everyone is well.

I'm up to the point where my next step is a DSP. I was planning on picking the Audison bit-Ten D, but then the guy at my local shop told me that there is the Hertz H8 too. (Hertz H8 DSP car audio processor)

Anyone know how the H8 (I doubt they meant that to sound like "hate") compares to the bit-Ten D? I'm trying to keep the choice between just those two.

I'm looking for an 8 ch DSP for (finally!) a 4-way full active build (Comps up front for treble and upper midrange, mids in the rear for lower midbass, and a sub). And just to be clear, the rears will not be rear-fill. I will cross the front and rear mid drivers so (as much as possible) they will play different frequencies.
QualitySound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Hertz H8 DSP or Audison bit-Ten D?

The bit ten is only 5 channels. You will want the bit 1 or H8. I'd say the H8 due to it being a lot cheaper.
DC/Hertz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 24 QualitySound will become famous soon enoughQualitySound will become famous soon enoughQualitySound will become famous soon enoughQualitySound will become famous soon enoughQualitySound will become famous soon enoughQualitySound will become famous soon enough

Is the bit-Ten only 5 ch? I thought it might be 8 because the Audison website says,

"Thanks to the AD Link connection, the available outputs become 8 in total, all in digital format; they can also be used simultaneously with the analog ones (for a maximum of 8 outputs total)" (Audison bit - bit Ten D).

Any word on what that means in terms of number of channels?

Old 03-10-2017   #4
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 213 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

neither. use that money for something better. JL twk, a helix 8 channel, etc etc..

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualitySound View Post
Is the bit-Ten only 5 ch? I thought it might be 8 because the Audison website says,

"Thanks to the AD Link connection, the available outputs become 8 in total, all in digital format; they can also be used simultaneously with the analog ones (for a maximum of 8 outputs total)" (Audison bit - bit Ten D).

That's only if you have the AD link which only works with select Audison amps. The H8 appears to be a great unit regardless. And a bit cheaper.
The Following User Says Thank You to DC/Hertz For This Useful Post:
QualitySound (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017   #6

DIYMA freshman

Why are others better than the Audison or Hertz?
Old 03-10-2017   #7
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 213 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Quote:
Why are others better than the Audison or Hertz?
1) audison uses only graphic eq, not parametric
2) you wont be getting the typical high noise floor of audison units
3) you wont have to deal with the unreliability/bugs of the audison units
4) the audisons are way overpriced for their feature set
5) with the new helix, you get all pass filters
6) with the helix (and supposedly the twk) you can do differential rear fill if you use rear speakers
7) the twk will be cheaper overall while being more powerful than the audisons
8) the helix will be way more powerful and about the same price as the audisons

The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
QualitySound (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Neither the JL or Helix offers De-EQ. That's what makes the Hertz and Audison stand out if using a stock HU

I never had a issue with the Bit one and it got the heck beat out of it in a 150db car. But to each is own.
Old 03-10-2017   #9
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC/Hertz View Post
Neither the JL or Helix offers De-EQ. That's what makes the Hertz and Audison stand out if using a stock HU

I never had a issue with the Bit one and it got the heck beat out of it in a 150db car. But to each is own.
actually the helix pro does, and i THINK the helix mk2 does as well. then theres the JL fix if you want to use the JL twk. still a cheaper combo than a new bit 1

Old 03-10-2017   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I like the fix TwK combo with the optical. They made a good value with that one. I though the Helix only had a few bands of input EQ?
Old 03-10-2017   #11
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC/Hertz View Post
I like the fix TwK combo with the optical. They made a good value with that one. I though the Helix only had a few bands of input EQ?
5 bands of parametric eq is all you need for input eq. even then, it doesnt really matter. you can always just eq the output. id be more concerned about fixing factory time alignment and phase adjustments. the fix does both, the audisons do not. unfortunately it doesnt fix all pass filters

Old 03-10-2017   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

True. The clean sweep was a joke. The FiX is really nice.
Old 03-10-2017   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 33 MrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

You'll need Audison Voce amps and the Bit-In module to get 8 channels with the Bit Ten D. If these are your only choices.........then I would do the Hertz most importantly because you said u needed 8 channels. And secondly because i haven't heard anyone complain about issues with it yet, like I have with the Audison DSP's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGreen83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2017   #14

DIYMA freshman

So the Hertz, but not the Audison, is 8 ch.

And the JL FiX seems good (but is not 8 ch?).

And I remember people liked the RF 3Sixty.3.

And MiniDSP gets good comments.

And everyone seems to like Helix DSP.

And what about AudioControl DM-608?

Any other 8 ch DSP's I should compare?

And when I do compare 8 ch DSP's for a 4-way active build with comps up front for treble and upper midrange, mids in the rear for lower midbass (NOT for rear fill), and a sub, are there particular features and specs that are important to look for? Like filter slope options, parametric EQ, leveling of input signal from HU, bandpass for rear midbass drivers, output volts, or what else? Are there any out there that are particularly really good, and a good price, for 4-way active system?
Old 03-11-2017   #15
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

The fix is not a dsp. The twk is. The audio control is way overpriced for its features

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 03-11-2017   #16

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
1) audison uses only graphic eq, not parametric
2) you wont be getting the typical high noise floor of audison units
3) you wont have to deal with the unreliability/bugs of the audison units
4) the audisons are way overpriced for their feature set
5) with the new helix, you get all pass filters
6) with the helix (and supposedly the twk) you can do differential rear fill if you use rear speakers
7) the twk will be cheaper overall while being more powerful than the audisons
8) the helix will be way more powerful and about the same price as the audisons
Thanks for this SkizeR.

I have a few questions about what you said, so I can understand. I hope it's not hassle to explain some basics.

2) What is a "noise floor?"

5) Are "all pass filters" the same as the "full range" amp setting, so all frequencies go through, not crossed at all?

6) What is "differential rear fill?" My rears are low midbass, not fill.

7/8) Does power (output voltage?) matter, since it's going to the amps?

And as DC/Hertz said, isn't De-EQ a really good feature?
Old 03-12-2017   #17

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
5 bands of parametric eq is all you need for input eq. even then, it doesnt really matter. you can always just eq the output. id be more concerned about fixing factory time alignment and phase adjustments. the fix does both, the audisons do not. unfortunately it doesnt fix all pass filters
The websites say H8 and bit-Ten both have TA and phase adjustments.

Click on "tech sheets" at
Audison bit - bit Ten D
Hertz H8 DSP car audio processor
Old 03-12-2017   #18
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
The websites say H8 and bit-Ten both have TA and phase adjustments.

Click on "tech sheets" at
Audison bit - bit Ten D
Hertz H8 DSP car audio processor
Of course they have it. But on the outputs. The jl fix takes the input signal, and flattens it out and corrects the factory signal delay (and I think phase) to let you start out with a perfectly flat signal. Pretty sure no other unit does factory signal delay compensation

Old 03-12-2017   #19
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Thanks for this SkizeR.

I have a few questions about what you said, so I can understand. I hope it's not hassle to explain some basics.

2) What is a "noise floor?"

5) Are "all pass filters" the same as the "full range" amp setting, so all frequencies go through, not crossed at all?

6) What is "differential rear fill?" My rears are low midbass, not fill.

7/8) Does power (output voltage?) matter, since it's going to the amps?

And as DC/Hertz said, isn't De-EQ a really good feature?
2) noise floor is.. well, noise floor. Ever hear that slight noise when nothing is playing that sounds like white noise? That would be the noise floor of your equipment

5) no. All pass filters are a type of band limited phase adjustment. Helix is the first to implement them in a car audio dsp

6) L-R/R-L

7) unless it's super low, not really

Yes, but it's not super important. You will still be able to eq the overall response after the fact whether you have a flat input signal or not

Old 03-13-2017   #20
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 314 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Marc, I got your PM. I tend to be with Skizer on this one. Though, there is something to be said for a dealer working with products that they sell, support and tune on a regular basis. Though even with solid, local support, it can still be frustrating if you have issues with a product.

What other brands does your dealer sell? Anything outside of Elettromedia (Hertz/Audison)?

If not, and you want to stick with something from the dealer, I would certainly go with the Hertz H8 over the bit Ten D as you will need the additional channels for the setup you described.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Mosconi 6to8 V8 | Arc KS900.6 | Arc KS600.2 | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Arc Black 12
2015 MECA SQL Street California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rton20s For This Useful Post:
QualitySound (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017   #21

DIYMA freshman

My dealer only has Elettromedia DSP's, but can get me good deals on stuff he does not carry, if I don't let him talk me out of it.

So JL twk is good, as you guys say, and much less pricey than Helix.

There is still the MiniDSP C-DSP 6x8 out there too. It is really inexpensive, and everything I've read about it is positive.

Any thoughts about comparisons between the twk and 6x8?
Old 03-13-2017   #22
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
My dealer only has Elettromedia DSP's, but can get me good deals on stuff he does not carry, if I don't let him talk me out of it.

So JL twk is good, as you guys say, and much less pricey than Helix.

There is still the MiniDSP C-DSP 6x8 out there too. It is really inexpensive, and everything I've read about it is positive.

Any thoughts about comparisons between the twk and 6x8?
twk is more powerful. 10 bands of parametric eq as opposed to 6

Old 03-14-2017   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 123 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

the hertz would be my only choice out of the original two you mentioned..the audisions tuff is just aweful from what I've dealt with.

rf unit is nice, helix is nicer.

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

The RF has more bugs then Audison. You can't say it's nice then knock on Audison.
Old 03-14-2017   #25
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

people say its buggy, but ive never actually heard of any issues with it. curious what those bugs are

Sponsored Links
Advertisement