LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 109 nismos14 will become famous soon enoughnismos14 will become famous soon enoughnismos14 will become famous soon enoughnismos14 will become famous soon enoughnismos14 will become famous soon enoughnismos14 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to nismos14

Default IB 8" Review: Cmass SS82, DLS OA8, Assassin, HX2, CVR

DLS OA8:
These were the first woofers I tried IB. I loved them. Output was moderate, but sq was phenomenal. They blended well and had a natural sound to them. Build quality was just amazing. One of the had an issue so I couldn't put full Power to them, but I have a feeling if I had been able to they would have been even better in the way of output. I hve since sold them and the new owner still loves them IB in his 6th gen Maxima .

SQ: 10
Power handling: 7
LFE: 8
Output: 7
Build Quality: 10
Total: 42 + 1 or 2 for power handling

AA Assassins:
I wanted more output, I go these, and I got it. They sounded nice, not as sq oriented as the OA8's but they could hold their own. They played low, and NEEDED more power than what I had on them (80x2). Even with low power though, they sounded mean, and put a hurting on my rear deck.

SQ: 7
Power handling: 10
LFE: 10
Output: 9
Build Quality: 8
Total: 44

C-MASS SS82:
This was my favorite sub used IB so far. I had a dedicated amp on it, Arc 2500xxk, the subs are rated at 500 rms, they took 550 a piece easy. They sounded awesome doing it as well. Great power handling, great low frequency extension, amazing sq.

SQ: 9
LFE: 9
Total: 47

Rockford Fosgate HX2:
Unfortunately these were somewhat of a bust, LFE was lack, they did not perform well at all IB. They did good on some rock and metal, but not much with deep bass. They just could not handle power that well IB.

LFE: 7
Total: 38

Kicker CVR:
These to me were the surprise of the bunch. Kicker makes subs to do their job. Shake things up. These aren't meant to be run IB, but boy they sounded nice in terms of output doing it. Sq was reasonable but output was GREAT even under low power situations.

Power handling: 8
Output: 8
Build Quality: 9
Total: 42

'05 SE-R
CAAA Member #1
My Car, My Ears.
nismos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 128 3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to 3.5max6spd

Default Re: IB Review: Cmass SS82, DLS OA8, Assassin, HX2, CVR

Cool findings! Thanks for taking the time to post feedback on your experiences with them.
3.5max6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 109 nismos14 will become famous soon enoughnismos14 will become famous soon enoughnismos14 will become famous soon enoughnismos14 will become famous soon enoughnismos14 will become famous soon enoughnismos14 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.5max6spd View Post
Cool findings! Thanks for taking the time to post feedback on your experiences with them.
No problemo. Will be posting more once I get a few weeks each with the following three drivers:

MTX 5500 8"
IDv3 8"
Eclipse 86080.8 8"

All have some favorable specs for IB use.. we shall see.

'05 SE-R
CAAA Member #1
My Car, My Ears.
Old 04-28-2008   #4

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 116 ZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to ZoNtO Send a message via MSN to ZoNtO Send a message via Yahoo to ZoNtO

In your opinion, which sounded the best for rock music? Best transient response and upper end punch?

If the Assassins are anything like my Atlas, they are a bit bottom heavy (aka flat down pretty low) which sometimes detracts from my rock experience.
ZoNtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoNtO View Post
In your opinion, which sounded the best for rock music? Best transient response and upper end punch?

If the Assassins are anything like my Atlas, they are a bit bottom heavy (aka flat down pretty low) which sometimes detracts from my rock experience.
The OA8's or the C-mass for sure. I think the OA's took the cake for SQ and the ability to play all types of music very well. I think the same may hold true for the three 8's I have left to test though.

Upper end punch would probably go to the OA's as well as transient response.

'05 SE-R
CAAA Member #1
My Car, My Ears.
Old 04-28-2008   #6

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 116 ZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to ZoNtO Send a message via MSN to ZoNtO Send a message via Yahoo to ZoNtO

You think I could run a pair of those DLS OA in my rear deck with 300W for the pair? I'm really kind of intrigued!
ZoNtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #7

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 96 Foglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enough

Has there been anybody to do 2 8s in the rear doors and 2 in the rear deck?

I'm debating about this for my next project.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoNtO View Post
You think I could run a pair of those DLS OA in my rear deck with 300W for the pair? I'm really kind of intrigued!
Yes! I had 320 to my pair, perfect amount of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foglght View Post

I was debating this for quite a long time, but decided to stick with the 2 in the rear deck only.

'05 SE-R
CAAA Member #1
My Car, My Ears.
Old 04-30-2008   #9

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 96 Foglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enough

I'm thinking it might not be enough low end for me. I have 2 ED 110v.2s sealed in the trunk right now. I guess I could try 2 for now, but which way would be better, in the doors or in the rear deck?

I was amazed the other day at how much of a difference polyfill made in low end extension. Literally blew me away. I never thought some stuffing could do so much.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm thinking it might not be enough low end for me. I have 2 ED 110v.2s sealed in the trunk right now. I guess I could try 2 for now, but which way would be better, in the doors or in the rear deck?

I was amazed the other day at how much of a difference polyfill made in low end extension. Literally blew me away. I never thought some stuffing could do so much.
Sealed rear doors would probably net you a bit more output unless the drivers are made for IB use. Plus depending on the air space available in your doors, you may not get as much low freequency extension (driver dependant).

'05 SE-R
CAAA Member #1
My Car, My Ears.
Old 06-11-2008   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Default Re: IB 8" Review: Cmass SS82, DLS OA8, Assassin, HX2, CVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismos14 View Post
DLS OA8:
These were the first woofers I tried IB. I loved them. Output was moderate, but sq was phenomenal. They blended well and had a natural sound to them. Build quality was just amazing. One of the had an issue so I couldn't put full Power to them, but I have a feeling if I had been able to they would have been even better in the way of output. I hve since sold them and the new owner still loves them IB in his 6th gen Maxima .

SQ: 10
LFE: 8
Total: 42 + 1 or 2 for power handling

AA Assassins:
I wanted more output, I go these, and I got it. They sounded nice, not as sq oriented as the OA8's but they could hold their own. They played low, and NEEDED more power than what I had on them (80x2). Even with low power though, they sounded mean, and put a hurting on my rear deck.

Build Quality: 8
Total: 44

C-MASS SS82:
This was my favorite sub used IB so far. I had a dedicated amp on it, Arc 2500xxk, the subs are rated at 500 rms, they took 550 a piece easy. They sounded awesome doing it as well. Great power handling, great low frequency extension, amazing sq.

SQ: 9
LFE: 9
Total: 47

Rockford Fosgate HX2:
Unfortunately these were somewhat of a bust, LFE was lack, they did not perform well at all IB. They did good on some rock and metal, but not much with deep bass. They just could not handle power that well IB.

LFE: 7
Total: 38

Kicker CVR:
These to me were the surprise of the bunch. Kicker makes subs to do their job. Shake things up. These aren't meant to be run IB, but boy they sounded nice in terms of output doing it. Sq was reasonable but output was GREAT even under low power situations.

Power handling: 8
Output: 8
Build Quality: 9
Total: 42
Quick addition of E8, prelimary....

Right now its running in my Alti off an 800prs + a Memphis line driver on the sub channel to an MTX 2300x.

Initially I was very impressed with the tonality and the output. It played various notes with authority. It's meant to be crossed (at least in my application) at 80 hz, anything higher and I recieved a lil breakup in the output. I am reallllly enjoying these subs with all kinds of music, rock/rap/country. They are doing a great job!

SQ: 8
Power handling: 9
Total: 46

These are just preliminary numbers, I will post more when I am done with a few weeks of listening time. They are DEFINATELY a competitor to the CMASS in overall sound and output! I am VERY impressed, especially at this price point.

'05 SE-R
CAAA Member #1
My Car, My Ears.
Old 07-01-2008   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Jack the lad will become famous soon enoughJack the lad will become famous soon enoughJack the lad will become famous soon enoughJack the lad will become famous soon enoughJack the lad will become famous soon enoughJack the lad will become famous soon enough

This is some great info. Do you have any experience of the Powerbass xtreme es8dv.2 or Denon DCS 802w?
Thanks
Jack
Jack the lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the lad View Post
This is some great info. Do you have any experience of the Powerbass xtreme es8dv.2 or Denon DCS 802w?
Thanks
Jack
I had the powerbass 8's but sold them before I could test them. I did not grab any denons to test with.

I have a new review coming up with more subs including Sundown E8's, Pioneer TS-W203f's, MTX 5500's, and maybe IDv3 8's.

'05 SE-R
CAAA Member #1
My Car, My Ears.
Old 07-14-2008   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 sic402 will become famous soon enoughsic402 will become famous soon enoughsic402 will become famous soon enoughsic402 will become famous soon enoughsic402 will become famous soon enoughsic402 will become famous soon enough

see only thing about this is the assassins were powered with only 80rms per, most people can push them 500rms all the time without problems so you may want to redo that one.

And im considering some new 8"s debating on some L7's or maybe that critical mass since i cant seem to find any 8" assassins around these days. gonna be sealed so im not too sure on the L7's performance but what do you think?
sic402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I don't like the sound of the L7's but that really doesn't apply to the IB setups.

'05 SE-R
CAAA Member #1
My Car, My Ears.
Old 07-18-2008   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Thor Industries
Position:
Lightning bolt delivery

Rep Power: 133 mvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to mvw2 Send a message via MSN to mvw2

The CVR woofers, well most Kicker woofers, are pretty well geared for IB and large box applications. With a QTS of 0.83, the Earth's atmosphere is "too small of a box" for it, lol. The sub has very good low frequency sensitivity, easy running down to 40Hz. The only limitation is excursion. It only stays below xmax at less than 75w, but it's got plenty of non-linear excursion to soak up more Power and push further. It's simply a question of clean vs. non-clean output.

This is also an indicator of why oh so many people have used Kicker subs so wrong, being stuffed into tiny boxes and expecting to sound halfway decent heavily underdampened with a Q well above 1.

One I'd be curious to see comments on is Dayton's Reference series sub, RS210HF.

No lawn darts in the fairway! This is a golf course damn it!
mvw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 83 seddon will become famous soon enoughseddon will become famous soon enoughseddon will become famous soon enoughseddon will become famous soon enoughseddon will become famous soon enoughseddon will become famous soon enough

Noob question What is IB?

NY G-SQUAD

2005 G35X + 2010 Camaro SS
seddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 126 bbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enough

Default Re: IB 8" Review: Cmass SS82, DLS OA8, Assassin, HX2, CVR

IB = Infinite Baffle

Do a search for this term, which is also commonly referred to as "Free-Air".

It basically means that the Speaker is not mounted in a typical Sealed-Airspace or Ported/Vented enclosure. A Speaker is considered to be "IB" or "Free-Air" if it is operating in an airspace greater than it's Vd, so that the air in the "enclosure" is not compressing or applying any force or resistance to the cone of the speaker.

Vd = Maximum linear volume of displacement of the driver (product of Sd times Xmax), in cubic meters. "This parameter is the Peak Diaphragm Displacement Volume — in other words the volume of air the cone will move. It is calculated by multipying Xmax (Voice Coil Overhang of the driver) by Sd (Surface area of the cone). Vd is noted in cc. The highest Vd figure is desirable for a sub-bass transducer."

=========

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismos14 View Post
Quick addition of E8, prelimary....

Right now its running in my Alti off an 800prs + a Memphis line driver on the sub channel to an MTX 2300x.

Initially I was very impressed with the tonality and the output. It played various notes with authority. It's meant to be crossed (at least in my application) at 80 hz, anything higher and I recieved a lil breakup in the output. I am reallllly enjoying these subs with all kinds of music, rock/rap/country. They are doing a great job!

SQ: 8
Power handling: 9
Total: 46

These are just preliminary numbers, I will post more when I am done with a few weeks of listening time. They are DEFINATELY a competitor to the CMASS in overall sound and output! I am VERY impressed, especially at this price point.
nismos14,

Umm...sorry if I missed it, but what specific driver are you referring to as the "E8" that you rated above?
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 83 seddon will become famous soon enoughseddon will become famous soon enoughseddon will become famous soon enoughseddon will become famous soon enoughseddon will become famous soon enoughseddon will become famous soon enough

Thank you. Has anyone tried this with a JL 10W7?

NY G-SQUAD

2005 G35X + 2010 Camaro SS
seddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 125 Weightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enough

1 2 3 4
Weightless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

E8 is made by Sundown.

'05 SE-R
CAAA Member #1
My Car, My Ears.
Old 07-20-2008   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 nutzie will become famous soon enoughnutzie will become famous soon enoughnutzie will become famous soon enoughnutzie will become famous soon enoughnutzie will become famous soon enoughnutzie will become famous soon enough

Someone know or the tangband w8-740 can play IB?
nutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Not sure, but I did want to try them out. Just a lil pricey for me right now. I think they would do fine, however they may be a bit boomy.

'05 SE-R
CAAA Member #1
My Car, My Ears.
Old 08-18-2008   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to fcarpio Send a message via Yahoo to fcarpio

Quote:

When my Car is done I will have 4 x 10" of the DLS (IB) in the side panels next to the rear passengers.

Hopefully I will have pictures soon...
fcarpio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcarpio View Post
When my Car is done I will have 4 x 10" of the DLS (IB) in the side panels next to the rear passengers.

Hopefully I will have pictures soon...
I HOPE SO!!

'05 SE-R
CAAA Member #1
My Car, My Ears.