Morel Ultimo 12" Review - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009   #26

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 135 savagebee will become famous soon enoughsavagebee will become famous soon enoughsavagebee will become famous soon enoughsavagebee will become famous soon enoughsavagebee will become famous soon enoughsavagebee will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Morel Ultimo 12" Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLN305 View Post
We love to have solid sub bass because it's fun and makes the music enjoyable. If we forget about the fun aspect of Car audio then we might as well leave the stereo stock and only listen at home with a multi thousand dollar setup and technically pick apart the music.

'nuff said

/\Eclipse 8443><2xCadence 30 Band EQ/\/\ 2xUS Acoustics 2080><Tang Band Bamboo w3/\/\2xUS Acoustics 2150><Dayton RS225/\
/\Elemental Designs 9.1><Elemental Designs 19Ov.2/\
savagebee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009   #27

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 mariodada will become famous soon enoughmariodada will become famous soon enoughmariodada will become famous soon enoughmariodada will become famous soon enoughmariodada will become famous soon enoughmariodada will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review. I just got my ultimo 12 hooked up it is in a 1.5 sealed enclosure,I have a Hifonics zeds vl bridged and I could not be happier.This sub is amazing and it is much more efficient than I thought it would be,I had to turn down the bass on my dql8 I was thinking I was going to need more power,I was ready to buy the new Zed Kronos,I even bought 2 ultimos because I've been running 2 boston 12.5 Les,but one ultimo is plenty the other is just sitting in the closet,if anyone needs one let me know.
mariodada is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009   #28
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Ignition Mobile Hi-Fi
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 157 Buzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodada View Post
Thanks for the review. I just got my ultimo 12 hooked up it is in a 1.5 sealed enclosure,I have a Hifonics zeds vl bridged and I could not be happier.This sub is amazing and it is much more efficient than I thought it would be,I had to turn down the bass on my dql8 I was thinking I was going to need more power,I was ready to buy the new Zed Kronos,I even bought 2 ultimos because I've been running 2 boston 12.5 Les,but one ultimo is plenty the other is just sitting in the closet,if anyone needs one let me know.
Hey, glad you are enjoying the sub. Which version is yours, 4 Ohm or 2 Ohm impedance?

Spkrs.: Phass (DTM25 - Tweeter, MD 0580 -Midrange, MD 0875- Midbass). Amps: Phass (RE 4.25 and RE 50). Subwoofer: Custom AudioTechnology Flex Unit 12" powered by TRU B2200S (Op Amp + Cap Upgrades). Head Unit: Eclipse 55090. Processor: Audison Bit One.1 Modified; Cables: Phass SC1 Spkr. cable and Si1 Interconnect.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009   #29

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
audiodepot
Position:
rep

Rep Power: 97 audiodepot101 will become famous soon enoughaudiodepot101 will become famous soon enoughaudiodepot101 will become famous soon enoughaudiodepot101 will become famous soon enoughaudiodepot101 will become famous soon enoughaudiodepot101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
$$$$$$? how much

Clarion DRZ9255 Morel Piccolo's, Morel CDM54
Morel 9" Supremo's (2) 12" Morel Ultimo
(2) Arc Audio 2150SE(3) Arc 2300SE
audiodepot101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009   #30

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 mariodada will become famous soon enoughmariodada will become famous soon enoughmariodada will become famous soon enoughmariodada will become famous soon enoughmariodada will become famous soon enoughmariodada will become famous soon enough

Make me an offer i cant refuse.
Old 11-06-2009   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 132 lucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Make me an offer i cant refuse.
im not intirested in the sub but do you have references? just looking out for my shipmates...
lucas569 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009   #32

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 95 remeolb will become famous soon enoughremeolb will become famous soon enoughremeolb will become famous soon enoughremeolb will become famous soon enoughremeolb will become famous soon enoughremeolb will become famous soon enough

snaimpally (or anyone else), do you have any experience with JL's W7 woofers? I'm very interested in how they compare to the Morel Ultimo. I currently own two 10 W7's but I just ordered a set of Morel Elate Limited Edition two-ways and I am seriously considering going Ultimo for the sub(s).
remeolb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009   #33

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas569 View Post
im not intirested in the sub but do you have references? just looking out for my shipmates...
I am new here,but im not here to rip anyone off, on ebay i am mariodada as well as audiogon,paypal protects the buyer and selller right? how is business done on this forum? I am not allowed to post in the classifieds? Like i said i have a brand new ultimo 12 4ohm in the unopened box someone is going to get a great deal on this sub ,and this is one place i found were people know what good gear is thats why i joined.
Old 11-06-2009   #34

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 95 remeolb will become famous soon enoughremeolb will become famous soon enoughremeolb will become famous soon enoughremeolb will become famous soon enoughremeolb will become famous soon enoughremeolb will become famous soon enough

I've heard (from Morel) that the 4 ohm Ultimo 12 is very tough to drive. I was interested in a 2 ohm model.
Old 11-06-2009   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 127 snaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by remeolb View Post
I've heard (from Morel) that the 4 ohm Ultimo 12 is very tough to drive. I was interested in a 2 ohm model.
I have a small Car (Maxda Speed 3 hatch). Before the Ultimo I was running a ported Soundstream Exact 10. My HU, the 800PRS, puts out very low voltages. I certainly lost efficiency going from ported to sealed but the Ultimo can get quite loud. I have been driving it with an old school Cadence A7Hc which is rated at 500 watts @ 4 ohms, though it probably does a bit more than that. The auto eq and t/a of my HU sets the sub level to -16 db. Because of the loud exhaust, I usually bump this up 3 db to -13 db. Still plenty loud.

I would say you need something that will actually do around 700 watts or more at 4 ohms and 12 volts. The Clarion DPX11551 does 850 watts at 4 ohms at 14.4 volts. My Cadence recently died and so I popped the Clarion in and it handles the Ultimo fairly well.

If you are interested, I have an Arc audio 2500XXK amp that is rated for 1050 watts at 4 ohms that I am selling. I bought it for the Morel but it won't fit in my application.

2011 BMW 335i M/T
Dynavin N6 -> Helix DSP Pro -> AS100.4(L)+AS-100.4(R)+AS200.2(sub) -> MP Z-series + Dyn 430 + MP 6.5" + Dyn 1200 (IB)

Last edited by snaimpally; 11-06-2009 at 11:50 PM..
snaimpally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 127 snaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enough

Quote:
snaimpally (or anyone else), do you have any experience with JL's W7 woofers? I'm very interested in how they compare to the Morel Ultimo. I currently own two 10 W7's but I just ordered a set of Morel Elate Limited Edition two-ways and I am seriously considering going Ultimo for the sub(s).
I have heard the JL W7s but not in my car. The thing is, with every other sub I have heard, the sub contributes something to the sound. The Ultimo does not. It is totally transparent. I have raised the sub level to 6 db over what the auto eq and ta set it at and you still can't hear that a sub is present. The Ultimo plays the notes and then disappears.

2011 BMW 335i M/T
Dynavin N6 -> Helix DSP Pro -> AS100.4(L)+AS-100.4(R)+AS200.2(sub) -> MP Z-series + Dyn 430 + MP 6.5" + Dyn 1200 (IB)
Old 11-07-2009   #37

DIYMA freshman

That's what i love about it,i don't wan't anything added to the music, i want to hear the music the way it was recorded.I don't want to hear any added coloration,this is one amazing sub but not for the window shakers.
Old 11-07-2009   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

This excerpt from a review in Car audio and Electronics sums up the Morel Ultimo 12:

"The driver was so transparent at the beginning of this track that I had to check if it was still activated. I toggled the dash-mounted remote Wire switch for the amplifier a couple of times in amazement. Kick drums were high located along the dashboard and blended extremely well with the notes from the bass guitar. I was hard-pressed to find any flaws in the Ultimo 12 on this track. This is how a subwoofer should perform-adding body and fullness to an audio selection without sacrificing tonality, disrupting clarity of other instruments or over-shadowing the vocals."

2011 BMW 335i M/T
Old 11-07-2009   #39

DIYMA freshman

Yeah the Morel 12 definitely seems like the sub for me. I will probably still get the two ohm version and get the Genesis Profile Sub Ultra to drive it. It won't match my Dual Mono looks-wise but the guys at Morel say it drives the Ultimo very well.
Old 11-07-2009   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 132 lucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enough

what id like to know is what makes this sub so transperant? (hardware wise)
Old 11-07-2009   #41
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Ignition Mobile Hi-Fi
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 157 Buzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's not any "tougher" to drive than the 2 Ohm version. Their rated sensitivity is the same. The problem, if you want to call it that, is that there are VERY few amplifiers capable of producing 1000 watts or more (which the Ultimo really needs for optimum performance in the lower frequencies) with a 4 Ohm load. Most amps are able to do that at 2 Ohms, or 1 Ohm. Thus, if you have the 4 Ohm version of the Ultimo, you will have fewer options available to you for amplification that can properly drive the Ultimo. You can get by with less Power (and I have used it with less), but trust me, you will not be hearing the full capabilities of this sub. Put on large scale orchestral music and you will hear what I mean. The downside to operating your amp with a 2 Ohm load is more heat and current requirements. So you better make sure your battery and alternator are up to the task.

Spkrs.: Phass (DTM25 - Tweeter, MD 0580 -Midrange, MD 0875- Midbass). Amps: Phass (RE 4.25 and RE 50). Subwoofer: Custom AudioTechnology Flex Unit 12" powered by TRU B2200S (Op Amp + Cap Upgrades). Head Unit: Eclipse 55090. Processor: Audison Bit One.1 Modified; Cables: Phass SC1 Spkr. cable and Si1 Interconnect.

Last edited by Buzzman; 11-07-2009 at 11:01 PM..
Old 11-07-2009   #42
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Ignition Mobile Hi-Fi
Position:
Owner

Quote:
what id like to know is what makes this sub so transperant? (hardware wise)
It's not a "hardware" question. The sub reproduces bass notes with very little distortion and coloration.

Old 11-07-2009   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

i just keep hearing how some have to double check if its still on, that seems odd to me is all, i can def tell when bass is present on live performances...
Old 11-08-2009   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 149 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
i just keep hearing how some have to double check if its still on, that seems odd to me is all, i can def tell when bass is present on live performances...
That does bring up a very good point... which I'm curious to read the response to.

P01 - HD600/4(2) - T1500-1bdCP - LPG 26NA - Peerless NE95W - Usher 1001B - Soloclassic 15(2)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009   #45

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 nautilus will become famous soon enoughnautilus will become famous soon enoughnautilus will become famous soon enoughnautilus will become famous soon enoughnautilus will become famous soon enoughnautilus will become famous soon enough

Using one too, and it can really go low, 10hz ! Irresistible If you into soundtracks, this sub can really perform effortlessly. Currently powering them with just a 2ch x 150W Helix Competition A2 amp.
Amazing !
nautilus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009   #46

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 99 sqoverspl will become famous soon enoughsqoverspl will become famous soon enoughsqoverspl will become famous soon enoughsqoverspl will become famous soon enoughsqoverspl will become famous soon enoughsqoverspl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Because it fits so cleanly into the front stage. Also in a live performance the speakers arent as good

Rebuilding my rebuild
sqoverspl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 188 Mooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
It's not a "hardware" question. The sub reproduces bass notes with very little distortion and coloration.
I think the question he is driving at is what spec is responsible for this and how to compare that spec to other subs. To that I would say that most of the blending is dependent on tuning, not the sub. If you have a sub tuned low with a very steep slope, it's going to be obvious when the sub is playing vs the front stage etc.

Here is my take: the one thing that I think is remarkably different about the Ultimo is the "tightness" of the bass. As I mentioned previously, the bass is more natural, not boomy. If you have a boomy sub, it will sound very different than your midbass playing the same frequency. In that regard, the Ultimo is kinda like a super midbass. It sounds like a midbass, but with much more output. That is why it blends well. You don't hear that trademark sub boominess which is very easy to pick out.

My question is this: what specs are responsible for bass "tightness?" Is it a combination of motor strength and moving mass? I don't think so because I have used subs with more powerful motors AND lighter cones and they were still boomy. Maybe it's the cone material. Why does the Ultimo sound so un-boomy? How can we quantify that characteristic?

Pioneer 880PRS, Tru SSLD6, Morel Supremo Piccolo, Hertz ML 1600, Morel 12" Ultimo, Tru Copper C7.4, Clarion DPX11551

Last edited by Mooble; 11-08-2009 at 07:22 AM..
Mooble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

also does the massive coil play a part in the sum?
Old 11-08-2009   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

oh AND what similarities does this have to the dayton ho cause ive read they sound alot alike...
Old 11-08-2009   #50

Banned

Rep Power: 0 akbarelamin will become famous soon enoughakbarelamin will become famous soon enoughakbarelamin will become famous soon enoughakbarelamin will become famous soon enoughakbarelamin will become famous soon enoughakbarelamin will become famous soon enough

Great questions! Ive had the privilege to listened to the Ultimo in Buzzman's Car at the Sound of in Riverside, Ca. and all I can say is I'm getting one! I've had the kicker solobaric 12, IDQ 10's, Rockford Fosgate 15's and presently I'm using a Arc audio 12 and nothing, and I do mean nothing, Ive heard sound so buttery smooth when it comes to blending with your front stage. I think the low end boom some are referring to has a lot to do with the enclosure type, because Buzzman's Car definitely had boom!
akbarelamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement