Morel Ultimo 12" Review - Page 26 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013   #626
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 119 manish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to manish

Default Re: Morel Ultimo 12" Review

ok quick question. i sold my pair of spg555. i had them each in a sealed 1.cuft box. i was in love with the lower freq output. but after re-reading this review and the comments im seriously thinking about a pair of these as a replacement. for power i have 2 alpine mrx-m240 that i may aquire and i see these may be a bit of over kill. in u guys opinion will a listener like myself (mostly fusion jazz, but some rap and stuff like john meyers vultures) who also runs a pair of peerless 8"sls in the front doors be satisfied with a pair of these at 2ohms? i also like my settings to be low passed at 63hz and just enough level to not hear or localize the sub but when a low note hits u know they are there. the reason i sold the spg555 is they didnt have that higher hit im used to. but was so good down low. any opinions are appreciated and if more info on my listening habits are needed let me know

Melodic Acoustic Intimid8r and Faital Pro 3FE22,dayton amtpod-4, 1 SS TN1.1200D, will be looking for 1 SS Synthesis dsp, JBL W12GTIMKII
manish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013   #627
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 81 Viggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enough

If you like feeling your subs I say no to the morel

My single 12 with a pg elite.2 powering it in a 1 cu ft box I do not feel anything.

For the most part I am happy.... Wish it was in a bigger box

Last edited by Viggen; 03-13-2013 at 01:13 PM..
Viggen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013   #628
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 127 rugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish View Post
ok quick question. i sold my pair of spg555. i had them each in a sealed 1.cuft box. i was in love with the lower freq output. but after re-reading this review and the comments im seriously thinking about a pair of these as a replacement. for power i have 2 alpine mrx-m240 that i may aquire and i see these may be a bit of over kill. in u guys opinion will a listener like myself (mostly fusion jazz, but some rap and stuff like john meyers vultures) who also runs a pair of peerless 8"sls in the front doors be satisfied with a pair of these at 2ohms? i also like my settings to be low passed at 63hz and just enough level to not hear or localize the sub but when a low note hits u know they are there. the reason i sold the spg555 is they didnt have that higher hit im used to. but was so good down low. any opinions are appreciated and if more info on my listening habits are needed let me know
Just curious if you have ran a JBL GTI? I love my 15. I just sold off a 12 and a 10. I wish I could have found a use for them. To me these subs do great down low, but blend up higher so well. Just a thought.

The most I have ever paid for sex.... Was Marriage.
rugdnit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013   #629
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 119 manish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
If you like feeling your subs I say no to the morel

My single 12 with a pg elite.2 powering it in a 1 cu ft box I do not feel anything.

For the most part I am happy.... Wish it was in a bigger box
damn it, these arent for me then...because with jazz they would be perfect, but with rap, i need that hit.

Melodic Acoustic Intimid8r and Faital Pro 3FE22,dayton amtpod-4, 1 SS TN1.1200D, will be looking for 1 SS Synthesis dsp, JBL W12GTIMKII
Old 03-13-2013   #630
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugdnit View Post
Just curious if you have ran a JBL GTI? I love my 15. I just sold off a 12 and a 10. I wish I could have found a use for them. To me these subs do great down low, but blend up higher so well. Just a thought.
no but i heard them before. i like them also, but i was hoping to find something even better now. i dont wanna have to buy used subs.

Old 03-13-2013   #631
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 127 rugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish View Post
no but i heard them before. i like them also, but i was hoping to find something even better now. i dont wanna have to buy used subs.
It doesn't get much better than those.

The most I have ever paid for sex.... Was Marriage.
rugdnit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013   #632
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 235 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

You're crossing your subs at 63Hz then complaining that they don't have more midbass output???

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013   #633
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 120 quickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the rough

I have mine crossed at 22hz @ 36 DB all the way up to 80hz... My Morel loves it, and I feel it, and hear it
quickaudi07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013   #634
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 79 Golden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
You're crossing your subs at 63Hz then complaining that they don't have more midbass output???
I was thinking the same thing. What else could he mean by "higher hit", right?
Golden Ear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013   #635
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

sorry meant harder hit not higher..lol yes higher wouldve been in the midbass range

Old 03-21-2013   #636

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 79 Lorin will become famous soon enoughLorin will become famous soon enoughLorin will become famous soon enoughLorin will become famous soon enoughLorin will become famous soon enoughLorin will become famous soon enough

I am running my single, ultimo 12 with peerless 8s in the doors as well (@ 63 hz \ 12 db). the sub does work well with jazz and the lack of localization is something that I feel this sub does very well. I believe a pair of these in the right sized boxes and ample power should be VERY nice. They should have reasonable hit. If serious hit is what you need, the JBL's may suit your needs better
Lorin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013   #637
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 93 fahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin View Post
I am running my single, ultimo 12 with peerless 8s in the doors as well (@ 63 hz \ 12 db). the sub does work well with jazz and the lack of localization is something that I feel this sub does very well. I believe a pair of these in the right sized boxes and ample power should be VERY nice. They should have reasonable hit. If serious hit is what you need, the JBL's may suit your needs better
That is my thought exactly. I had 1 Ultimo 12 and 2 SC10s. I was going to save the Ultimo and never sell it. I found another Ultimo for sale cheap so I picked it up. I am hoping the pair will give me the lack of localization and also have the impact I am looking for when I turn it up.

Now to get an amp that can drive 2 Ultimo 12s. I think my single DC Ref 1100.1 will not be enough power for 2.

2013 MECA Street World Champion
2013 IASCA Rookie Runner-Up
Link to my 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDi build log
fahrfrompuken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013   #638
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 235 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Unless you're using a HORRIBLY wretched sub, localization is going to come almost entirely from vibrations around the sub. I mean hell, I'm running front speakers that most would say "have no midbass" and a decent, not "high end" Arc 10 and it doesn't localize until everything in the hatch starts buzzing (I haven't deadened yet). I've even bounced around beween 65Hz and 100Hz on the XO point and it doesn't matter.

I really like high end subs but I think it's because they tend to be low inductance, low Qts subs. That's why I like the Arc subs so much.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2015   #639

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 43 firebri will become famous soon enoughfirebri will become famous soon enoughfirebri will become famous soon enoughfirebri will become famous soon enoughfirebri will become famous soon enoughfirebri will become famous soon enough

New post on an old thread. I actually spent a lot of time on this thread leading up to my purchase of the Ultimo.

I have an Ultimo 124 in my Kia Soul. It's in a sealed box of 1.6cf, 1.5cf with displacement. The box was designed by Dave the Box Guy, specific for my sub, vehicle, amp, and listening goals. I built it myself from his blueprints. I'm driving it with a JL Audio HD 1200/1.

Many of the posts I've read about this sub discuss it's transparency. I guess if that means it doesn't add it's own character to the music, I'd have to agree. However, I don't feel like this sub is limited by it's accuracy. I do listen mostly to hard rock, but I also listen to some bass heavy stuff as well. This sub sounds just as good with Skrillex as it does with Rush, as it does with Pink Floyd, as it does with Van Halen. I love it. It can hit very hard, it stays composed, and it recovers quickly. I've had JL subs in the past, so I've had some experience with some decent subs, but this thing is a whole new ballgame. Listening to old stuff and having it seem like the first time is a lot of fun.

Last edited by firebri; 12-03-2015 at 02:30 PM..
firebri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2016   #640
DIYMA 500 Club

Vibrandt, Inc.

Rep Power: 151 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2016   #641
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

You have me thinking about a pair of these now.

Old 02-02-2017   #642

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 144 PeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enough

Couldn't help reopening this thread.

I am about to install a 12" Ultimo Titanium in a custom fiber-glassed sealed enclosure over my right side wheel well in my 2017 Tucson. I will have a https://www.zapco.com/z-400-2-lx running the sub. My question is should i get the 4ohm version (makes sense with the Zapco specs) and how many cubic feet do you guys suggest I go with? I was thinking 1.4 to 1.8 cu. ft.? Hoping the "transparency" is something I can appreciate, but I think in this setup, it is hard to not go for it.

I think the Ultimo 12" would be a nice SQ addition to my front stage. I will be having the http://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/ca...a-be-kit-ndeg7 three-way set up front OR the http://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/ca...its/es-165-kx3 set. All would be off of the https://www.zapco.com/z-150-6-lx (if active) OR just use the 5,6th channels on rear fill if passive. Not sure yet which set to go with here and if I will go active or passive. MUCH cheaper with the Utopia 7's active since I can get that set without its famous crossover block. I will have the http://mosconi-system.it/product/gla...2-aerospace-2/ running them all off my stock head unit.

Which of these Focal 3-way sets would you guys suggest and active or passive (crossover block and/or DSP?). I like classical rock, 21 Pilots, System of a Down, some jazz, pop, pretty much anything.

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have been out off the game for YEARS now and just getting back into it. I see npdang is around! He was such a gentleman in helping me like 12 years ago on here! I remember him so well with all his great help!

Thanks again guys.
Pete

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2134116

Last edited by PeteyGoesBoom; 02-03-2017 at 12:08 AM..
PeteyGoesBoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2017   #643

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 79 Lorin will become famous soon enoughLorin will become famous soon enoughLorin will become famous soon enoughLorin will become famous soon enoughLorin will become famous soon enoughLorin will become famous soon enough

If you are planning on bridging that Zapco amp, than a 4 ohm would be where you will get the most power (@ 2 ohm bridged). I originally ran my Ultimo SC in 1 cubic ft. I then went to a larger sealed box of 1.4 ft, and was happier with the lower end. I have since gone to a ported enclosure tuned to 33 hz. The one sub in this arrangement is where I want to be.
Lorin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2017   #644

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 144 PeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin View Post
If you are planning on bridging that Zapco amp, than a 4 ohm would be where you will get the most power (@ 2 ohm bridged). I originally ran my Ultimo SC in 1 cubic ft. I then went to a larger sealed box of 1.4 ft, and was happier with the lower end. I have since gone to a ported enclosure tuned to 33 hz. The one sub in this arrangement is where I want to be.
My installer said he can squeeze about 1.7 cu. ft. in a sealed enclosure over my right side wheel well. The sub will be the 12" Ultimo at 4ohm with almost 4ohms of 1400RMS power to it.

Do you think the 1.7 cu. ft. will be enough space to give me some low end?

Thanks,
Pete

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2134116
PeteyGoesBoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement