LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 87 katodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enough

Default Exodus EX-Anarchy Midwoofer

Last weekend, I installed a pair of the Exodus EX-Anarchy midwoofers in my doors. No one has really mentioned anything about these drivers and I thought I'd provide some personal impressions and non-scientific feedback. There seems to be a lot of tech jargon associated with these drivers such as an XBL motor (?), aerodynamic design of the spider/pole assembly, etc. If someone could provide some more info as to what these pieces of tech actually do, I'd really appreciate it. I did some reading about the XBL motor, but could only find "sales-ish" documentation about it basically stating it was the next coming of Jesus. I'd love some independent feedback on what the XBL motor acutally is along with its benefits.

DIYCable.com : Intro » Home » Exodus Subwoofers »

These were on an introductory special for $45 each, and have since gone up in price to $70 each. I still feel that they are a very good value at the $70 price point.

I chose these basically because of their high x-max characteristics, with the expectation of using them only as midbasses playing up to ~ 600hz. I was basically looking for an alternative to shoehorning an 8inch midbass into my doors, but still upgrading my midbass performance. I was not concerned with the ability for it to play any higher than 1khz at the most. When I was running 2-way, I used the Seas reed drivers, which had exceptional performance when crossed as high as 2khz with a 12db slope, but did not have the midbass performance I wanted.

The Anarchy midwoofers are on the medium/large size, but had no problem fitting in my doors unlike the Tang-Band underhung mids that I was forced to return. I mounted them to 3/4th inch MDF baffles, and used foam weatherstripping between the baffles and the doors and the driver and the baffle. The drivers themselves also had a built in foam strip, which was a nice touch.

They are running as part of a 3-way, mated with Hybrid L3's and L1v2's. I am using a JL HD900/5 bridged to push these guys. They handle Power VERY VERY well. I was impressed by the lack of motor noise when testing them with low tones, even when they are reaching high excursion. I experimented with several different crossover settings, until I settled on 63hz @ 18db for now.

I am really enjoying these drivers in my 3-way. They have massive amounts of articulate midbass and the lower crossover point has brought my bass very far forward. Basslines have very good detail, and drums have more "chest-al" impact. I have listened to them at medium-high levels, and feel that this crossover point is manageable for the driver to handle. They remained very clean and without any noticeable amount of distortion or coloration. I think that if you are planning on going for very high listening levels, you may want to bump it up to 80-100hz.

For those of you with 2-ways, I tested them a bit by bumping them up to 2khz and 2.5khz to see how they performed. They were acceptable at 2khz with a steep slope, but I cannot recommend them for use at 2.5khz. The breakup was very noticeable, and was not pleasant for listening. In this department, my old Seas reed's had them beat by a long shot. So unless you have a tweeter that goes very low, or are one of those guys who are running a full range in lieu of a tweeter, I would not recommend these for 2-way use.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need any more non-scientific feedback

Thanks.

Last edited by katodevin; 03-29-2010 at 02:40 PM..
katodevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 85 mSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to mSaLL150

Default Re: Exodus EX-Anarchy Midwoofer

Sweet! I've been waiting for a review on these guys. Sounds like a great alternative for midbass if you cannot fit an 8" driver.

How much Power are you putting to them? They have low sensitivity, so for a midbass only application it seems they would probably eat up gobbs of power.

Here are some tech articles on the XBL motor:

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2DetailsPaper.pdf

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2TechPaper.pdf

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2ExecSummary.pdf

2013 Focus ST - In Progress! - MyFordTouch - Audison - Phoenix Gold - Scanspeak - Dayton - Stereo Integrity
mSaLL150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #3

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 122 rimshot will become famous soon enoughrimshot will become famous soon enoughrimshot will become famous soon enoughrimshot will become famous soon enoughrimshot will become famous soon enoughrimshot will become famous soon enough

I believe some were saying due to the specs it wouldn't be very efficient in the doors but you seem to be experiencing very good results with it. Punchy midbass and plays clean down to 63hz, that sounds great. Damn things are 0.1 in too deep for me otherwise id order a pair . How much more output are you experiencing compared to the seas driver? It has nearly twice the linear excursion so I was wondering what that actually translated to in the real world. The review is very appreciated!

2008.5 MS3

system slowly coming together...

Last edited by rimshot; 03-29-2010 at 03:52 PM..
rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 864 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like a suitable replacement for the defunct Mpyers too.

2013 Ford Flex SEL AWD, JBL MS-8 processor, Vibe U.K. Slick Stereo 4 and Bass 1 amps, Exile Xtec subs in spare tire well enclosure, Dayton RS 225-4 midbass in doors, RS 75 mids and ND20FB tweets in custom A-pillars, Dayton RS 125-4 and ND20FB tweet in center, hand-made passive crossovers.
fourthmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 73 s4turn will become famous soon enoughs4turn will become famous soon enoughs4turn will become famous soon enoughs4turn will become famous soon enoughs4turn will become famous soon enoughs4turn will become famous soon enough

they look like DDW 6.5 mids? from the pics?

awesome price for midbass drivers though
s4turn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #6

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 87 katodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshot View Post
I believe some were saying due to the specs it wouldn't be very efficient in the doors but you seem to be experiencing very good results with it. Punchy midbass and plays clean down to 63hz, that sounds great. Damn things are 0.1 in too deep for me otherwise id order a pair . How much more output are you experiencing compared to the seas driver? It has nearly twice the linear excursion so I was wondering what that actually translated to in the real world. The review is very appreciated!
It's really hard to compare them directly to the Seas, since they play a LOT lower. If I had a gun to my head, I'd say they were at least 2 times louder than the Seas at the 80-60hz region. The Seas were EXCELLENT drivers, but a bit weak on the low end, which is totally understandable, as that is more subwoofer duty.

If its only .1 in too deep, then make a thicker ring
Old 03-29-2010   #7

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSaLL150 View Post
How much Power are you putting to them? They have low sensitivity, so for a midbass only application it seems they would probably eat up gobbs of power.

The JL ratings are a bit funky cuz of the RIPS system (maybe mrsmith could clarify), but I believe that when the 900/5 is bridged, it puts out 200 watts @ 8 ohms.

Either way, its waaaay more than enough. I'd have to upgrade the rest of my speakers to keep up with these suckers if I pushed them any louder. So I don't think power/efficiency is really an issue unless you're running a small amp, or are running REALLY loud tweeters/high mids/sub.

BTW, I'm running a BM MKIII along with the Hybrids.
Old 03-29-2010   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Supporting Vendor

12V Company:
Stereo Integrity
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 99 Electrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enoughElectrodynamic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4turn View Post
they look like DDW 6.5 mids? from the pics?

awesome price for midbass drivers though
The basket, cone, surround, and motor look completely different from the DDW unless I'm completely missing something? About the only thing they have in common is a single magnet slug.

Thanks for the review though! I've been wondering if anyone on this forum was going to pick up a pair of these monsters for their midbass duties. They're a bit deep for Car use, but that hasn't stopped DIYMA members before! With XBL^2 I knew they'd do well up to at least 1k, and 12mm of Xmax was going to be sufficient for kick-ass midbass. Good job going into detail about the crossover points too.

Electrodynamic
"On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
Stereo Integrity subwoofers
Electrodynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 73 s4turn will become famous soon enoughs4turn will become famous soon enoughs4turn will become famous soon enoughs4turn will become famous soon enoughs4turn will become famous soon enoughs4turn will become famous soon enough

taken from nzice - cheers fokker (maybe its an older model DD)

I guess I should of said they look similar to 'me'
edited** but yes I do see the differences there

I was looking at getting the exodus speakers.. but i think shipping would of been more than the actual cost of the drivers to be sent to NZ
s4turn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

12V Company:
Ground Zero USA

Rep Power: 223 Scott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4turn View Post
taken from nzice - cheers fokker (maybe its an older model DD)

I guess I should of said they look similar to 'me'
edited** but yes I do see the differences there

I was looking at getting the exodus speakers.. but i think shipping would of been more than the actual cost of the drivers to be sent to NZ
They look nothing alike to me, different top plates, bottom plates, magnet, cone, dust cap, basket, and different spiders
Scott@GZUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #11

DIYMA Novice

Yah, the only similarity I see is that they both look like they've been eating a lot of oreos.
Old 03-29-2010   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 74 fredk will become famous soon enoughfredk will become famous soon enoughfredk will become famous soon enoughfredk will become famous soon enoughfredk will become famous soon enoughfredk will become famous soon enough

Yup, nice driver. I'm using a pair in a small (.5cf) mini-monitor with a 38Hz -3db point. At $45, I picked up an extra to use as a sub in my Car at some point.

FWIW, in a tapped horn, this driver will play flat to 25Hz, though it won't be particularly loud at that tuning.

Drinking from the firehose...
fredk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 119 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Nice review. I also read your review of the "ID" OEM 2.5 midbass. If you don't mind, could you give some comparisons between those two?

P01 - HD600/4(2) - HD750/1 - Integra 402 - 10BR60V2 - IB15A(2)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #14

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Nice review. I also read your review of the "ID" OEM 2.5 midbass. If you don't mind, could you give some comparisons between those two?
The Anarchy's have less motor noise, and can get louder with less distortion. The ID's have a bit more "punch" (perhaps due to their much tighter suspension?). I'd say that the Anarchy's sound a bit more true to the original program content. The ID's are a bit shallower, but are just as beefy, weight-wise as the Anarchy's. I think that either the ID's or the Anarchy's would be a very good choice for the bottom end of a 3-way, and I think that I would be hard pressed to differentiate between the two in a double blind test while listening to normal music output from the full system.

BTW, those pics of the "DD's" look VERY VERY similar to the ID 2.5's. I'd almost guarantee that they were made @ the same factory.
Old 03-30-2010   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 111 Jroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enough

I was also looking for an alternative for the mypre midbass. It sounds like these dont have any issues playing IB in a door. I assume as long as the door is damped well I could place these on a baffle in a door and go. I only have about 150 rms to use. Is that fine or do they need more or less?
Jroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 135 WLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodevin View Post
For those of you with 2-ways, I tested them a bit by bumping them up to 2khz and 2.5khz to see how they performed. They were acceptable at 2khz with a steep slope, but I cannot recommend them for use at 2.5khz. The breakup was very noticeable, and was not pleasant for listening. In this department, my old Seas reed's had them beat by a long shot. So unless you have a tweeter that goes very low, or are one of those guys who are running a full range in lieu of a tweeter, I would not recommend these for 2-way use.Thanks.
I almost bought a set of these myself at the entry price in hopes that the response was out to 3KHz. My thoughts changed after seeing the reviews around. Still, I was going to try them at 2K-2.5KHz with the SB Acoustics tweets. DIY cable claims that the 4K breakup should not need a notch with a 3rd or 4th order slope.

I still would like to see what these can do in a 2-way. Would be interesting to compare against the SB Acoustics mid mated with the SB tweets.
WLDock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #17

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroo View Post
I was also looking for an alternative for the mypre midbass. It sounds like these dont have any issues playing IB in a door. I assume as long as the door is damped well I could place these on a baffle in a door and go. I only have about 150 rms to use. Is that fine or do they need more or less?
Yeah, my door is very well dampened. I have several layers of rammat and ensolite. I also have put a lot of open cell foam on my door card along with additional rammat. I am still getting a bit of rattles and will be tackling them soon.

It's really hard for me to say for sure if 150 RMS is enough. This is due to the fact that I do not know how much of my 200 RMS I am using, and also due to the fact that I have no idea how loud you want your music, and @ what crossover point.

If I were to guess, I'd say that 150 RMS is plenty and that you should give it a shot if you're really looking for a good midbass to use in a 3-way.
Old 04-07-2010   #18

DIYMA Novice

Just an update. I've settled on 63hz @ 30db slope for my lowend cut off. I'm still loving these guys and have actually ordered another pair before they go up even more in price.
Old 10-15-2010   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Jin4g63 will become famous soon enoughJin4g63 will become famous soon enoughJin4g63 will become famous soon enoughJin4g63 will become famous soon enoughJin4g63 will become famous soon enoughJin4g63 will become famous soon enough

the price is at 75 dollars a piece now planning to order shiva and the anarchy would these sound bad if i was to run these 2way i dont have any tweeters in mind but i hear good things about hybrid never heard them but seems like my taste but so expensive im gonna be low on funds after i buy these speakers it would be sweet to run 3 way like your set up maybe later when im more expereinced and richer haha but any good tweets to match these for 2way? sorry for bumping a old thread
Jin4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 78 Cruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished road

i see them listed as $85 a piece.

these are perfect for 3 way, and i talked to them and they say they will play from 20hz up to 5k so it should perform nicely in a 2 way, but i would cross higher than 20hz and lower than 5k for the best results imo.

Head Unit: Pioneer 800PRS | Tweets: Dayton DC28F Silk | Mids: Dayton RS180 | Speaker Amp: Infinity Kappa Four | Sub: Dayton HO 15" | Sub Amp: AQ1200D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIKk6...ature=youtu.be
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...b-install.html
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010   #21

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Jin4g63 will become famous soon enoughJin4g63 will become famous soon enoughJin4g63 will become famous soon enoughJin4g63 will become famous soon enoughJin4g63 will become famous soon enoughJin4g63 will become famous soon enough

yeah they are 85 i got switrched up with something else
Old 10-15-2010   #22

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
i see them listed as $85 a piece.

these are perfect for 3 way, and i talked to them and they say they will play from 20hz up to 5k so it should perform nicely in a 2 way, but i would cross higher than 20hz and lower than 5k for the best results imo.
ic well ifound these they look alright i guess 1500-40000hz

Vifa XT25BG60-04 1" Shielded Dual Ring Radiator Tweeter | Parts-Express.com

never mind thats to expensive i thought that was for the pair haha
Old 10-15-2010   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 78 Cruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin4g63 View Post
ic well ifound these they look alright i guess 1500-40000hz

Vifa XT25BG60-04 1" Shielded Dual Ring Radiator Tweeter | Parts-Express.com
im using vifa XT25 tweeters. no complaints. they did fairly well on the poll on here. 3rd most votes

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...eters-1-a.html

Head Unit: Pioneer 800PRS | Tweets: Dayton DC28F Silk | Mids: Dayton RS180 | Speaker Amp: Infinity Kappa Four | Sub: Dayton HO 15" | Sub Amp: AQ1200D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIKk6...ature=youtu.be
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...b-install.html
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010   #24

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
im using vifa XT25 tweeters. no complaints. they did fairly well on the poll on here. 3rd most votes

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...eters-1-a.html
Sweet thanks cruzer for the help
Old 10-16-2010   #25

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Audio Vision
Position:
Manager

Rep Power: 74 cirodias will become famous soon enoughcirodias will become famous soon enoughcirodias will become famous soon enoughcirodias will become famous soon enoughcirodias will become famous soon enoughcirodias will become famous soon enough

Good review!

congratz

Drz 9255 / TRU T03-4.150 / Zapco c2k-6.0x / Dynaudio Esotar² 650 / Morel Supremo Piccolo / IR 10''/ Atlas Equator MKII / Chord Carnival Silverscreen / Canare 4S11
cirodias is offline   Reply With Quote