My $85 FLAC Car Head Unit - KW-CM3001 - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010   #26

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 98 Lars Ulriched will become famous soon enoughLars Ulriched will become famous soon enoughLars Ulriched will become famous soon enoughLars Ulriched will become famous soon enoughLars Ulriched will become famous soon enoughLars Ulriched will become famous soon enough

Default Re: My $85 FLAC Car Head Unit - KW-CM3001

I wont waste my money and time on this piece of junks from China....
Lars Ulriched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 95 Allan74 will become famous soon enoughAllan74 will become famous soon enoughAllan74 will become famous soon enoughAllan74 will become famous soon enoughAllan74 will become famous soon enoughAllan74 will become famous soon enoughAllan74 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Ulriched View Post
I wont waste my money and time on this piece of junks from China....
Come on.....you are from Malaysia.

That like saying "your rubber dog shit is inferior to my rubber vommit".....

I am looking for ATI HD 5xxx & HD 6xxx Video Cards for Bitcoin Mining. I have good stuff to trade. PM me if you have anything to offer.
Allan74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 95 Allan74 will become famous soon enoughAllan74 will become famous soon enoughAllan74 will become famous soon enoughAllan74 will become famous soon enoughAllan74 will become famous soon enoughAllan74 will become famous soon enoughAllan74 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoonDoggie View Post
You strike me as a guy over 45, such anger! lol.
No, I'm 36.......still angry though

Redundancy bothers me.

I am looking for ATI HD 5xxx & HD 6xxx Video Cards for Bitcoin Mining. I have good stuff to trade. PM me if you have anything to offer.

Old 11-29-2010   #29

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 120 khanhfat will become famous soon enoughkhanhfat will become famous soon enoughkhanhfat will become famous soon enoughkhanhfat will become famous soon enoughkhanhfat will become famous soon enoughkhanhfat will become famous soon enough

Very nice find, I dont' know why HU havent support flac or ape yet.. I kept on burning APE and FLAC out on CDS and it stack up like two case of 100 cds in my car right now.

Defenitely give this thing a shot.
khanhfat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010   #30

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 JIDorado will become famous soon enoughJIDorado will become famous soon enoughJIDorado will become famous soon enoughJIDorado will become famous soon enoughJIDorado will become famous soon enoughJIDorado will become famous soon enough

Hello Allan74

Where did you buy Car Head Unit - KW-CM3001 for only 85$ ?

Thanks
JIDorado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010   #31

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 84 arw01 will become famous soon enougharw01 will become famous soon enougharw01 will become famous soon enougharw01 will become famous soon enougharw01 will become famous soon enougharw01 will become famous soon enough

Interesting thought about designing a car stereo with a chinese company. The CAN make high end gear if the money is there.

But those of you wanting FLAC and such, why not an android phone that has HDMI out, isn't that a digital signal on the audio channels? Or perhaps a small car PC running linux? A head unit with analog changer signals would not be a big deal to interprete with a USB A/D converter on a linux box.

I've seen a couple of linux ODBC implementations, with the new android tables, perhaps something is coming along soon you could put a Samsung galaxy tab in the dash with all the navigation, bluetooth, etc and get your FLAC and ORB out of there. Don't know if they have a digital out in the connectors or not.
arw01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010   #32

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 illumilore will become famous soon enoughillumilore will become famous soon enoughillumilore will become famous soon enoughillumilore will become famous soon enoughillumilore will become famous soon enoughillumilore will become famous soon enough

The problem is that neither the phone or the pc can be made as cheaply as a simple head unit. Adnroid phones cost at least 300, plus then you have to bother with connecting and disconnecting it everytime you use the vehicle, unless you have a spare just for the car. I also don't know of any changer signal implementations, or any head units that would support that. I have thought about going pc, but I just can't find a decent way to control or implement one.

As far as this kinwei unit goes, my only complaint about it would be the apparent lack of a shuffle function for it. The chinese only manual for it was no help, and the firmware that is on it is more updated than shown in the manual. It seems to shuffle all of the contents in any one folder by default, but it would be nice to be able to turn that ability on or off at will. Still far better than my old unit.

There are other units out there that might be better than this one, such as this one, but good luck finding a seller for it if you are not in china. If you want to order it using that awful site, it looks like you have to order in batches of at least 100, which is a bit of a commitment.
illumilore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010   #33

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 illumilore will become famous soon enoughillumilore will become famous soon enoughillumilore will become famous soon enoughillumilore will become famous soon enoughillumilore will become famous soon enoughillumilore will become famous soon enough

For some reason, this site won't let me post the link to that other head unit
Old 12-19-2010   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

I have given up on FLAC.

I am going Kenwood Disc-less (KIV-BT900) and WAV files via USB.......
http://www.kenwood.ca/Car_Entertainm...vers/KIV-BT900

This unit also supports a 3-device USB Hub.

I will however wait till after CES to make sure there isn't a 2011 Deck that I like more, but this Kenwood is the front runner after hours of research.

This Kenwood is one of the ONLY decks that I found that document WAV FILE support on paper.....

Old 12-19-2010   #35

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 BoonDoggie will become famous soon enoughBoonDoggie will become famous soon enoughBoonDoggie will become famous soon enoughBoonDoggie will become famous soon enoughBoonDoggie will become famous soon enoughBoonDoggie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan74 View Post
I have given up on FLAC.

I am going Kenwood Disc-less (KIV-BT900) and WAV files via USB.......
Kenwood - KIV-BT900

This unit also supports a 3-device USB Hub.

I will however wait till after CES to make sure there isn't a 2011 Deck that I like more, but this Kenwood is the front runner after hours of research.

This Kenwood is one of the ONLY decks that I found that document WAV FILE support on paper.....
I completely understand your position. I've checked every deck like the Kenwoods and they all have no support for wav files, Unbelievable. Do you know if the Kenwood supports 24 bit wav files as well??
BoonDoggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoonDoggie View Post
Do you know if the Kenwood supports 24 bit wav files as well??
Nope. Documented support as follows (directly from the Kenwood manual) - 16bit 44.1khz WAV Files.

I checked Pioneer, Clarion...everyone...and Kenwood is the ONLY WAV file supporter that is documented, so that is what I am going to buy.

Old 12-19-2010   #37

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 100 devolutionary will become famous soon enoughdevolutionary will become famous soon enoughdevolutionary will become famous soon enoughdevolutionary will become famous soon enoughdevolutionary will become famous soon enoughdevolutionary will become famous soon enough

I run WAV via USB on my Kenwood X991.
Works beautifully but you have to use the Kenwood Music software to build your library for best results. Otherwise there are no file names and loading can take longer.
That's the only annoyance in an otherwise awesome deck.

Source: Kenwood X991 Front stage: Boston SPZ60 Rear fill: Boston RC61 mids Sub: Boston SPG555 w/SPG-TR radiator
Oldskool Amps - Front: PPI PC4100 Rear: PPI PC450 Sub: PPI PC2350
devolutionary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by devolutionary View Post
I run WAV via USB on my Kenwood X991.
Works beautifully but you have to use the Kenwood Music software to build your library for best results. Otherwise there are no file names and loading can take longer.
That's the only annoyance in an otherwise awesome deck.
My current head unit (x890) is 1 year older (2006 vs.2007 models) and 1 model below yours....
Unfortunately, I tried WAV files and they are NOT supported, otherwise, I would keep it, as I love this deck.
Oh well, new stuff is always nice as well

Old 12-19-2010   #39

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Hybrid Audio Technologies
Position:
Marketing/Sales Manager

Rep Power: 110 David_Edwards will become famous soon enoughDavid_Edwards will become famous soon enoughDavid_Edwards will become famous soon enoughDavid_Edwards will become famous soon enoughDavid_Edwards will become famous soon enoughDavid_Edwards will become famous soon enough

My Pioneer DEX-P9 supports WAV files.

DEdwards@Hybrid-Audio.com
Team Captain for Team Hybrids(North America)
2008 ModEx SQ World Champion
2009 MECA Master SQ World Champion
2 seasons of domination-Undefeated
David_Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Edwards View Post
My Pioneer DEX-P9 supports WAV files.
Time for us to begin making a list of comfirmed units that support WAV files....

- Kenwood x991
- Kenwood x890 (TESTED- FAILED)
- Pioneer DEX-P9
- Kinwei KW-CM3001 (Disc-less in-dash FLAC Player)

Last edited by Allan74; 12-19-2010 at 08:40 PM..
Old 12-19-2010   #41

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Time for us to begin making a list of comfirmed units that support WAV files....

- Kenwood x991
- Pioneer DEX-P9
Might as well add the kinwei KW-CM3001 to the list, as it supports wav as well.

and if the link works this time, this
Judging from that site, flac ogg and wav are standard on a significant minority of players there, just no resellers outside of china.

Like flac, I would suspect many units capable of wav are probably undocumented, so, if there isn't already a list out there, listing them is a good idea.
Old 12-19-2010   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumilore View Post
Might as well add the kinwei KW-CM3001 to the list, as it supports wav as well.
Quote:

- Kenwood x991
- Pioneer DEX-P9
- Kinwei KW-CM3001 (Disc-less in-dash FLAC/OGG Multimedia Player)
Done.

Luckilly thanks to cheap storage, FLAC is becoming less and less important. WAV, being a 'standard' anyways, will probably be the format of choice for many that have been chomping-at-the-bit for FLAC compatibility.

Old 12-19-2010   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

If anyone has any units to add to the list, I am sure it would help alot of people.

SUCCESSFUL wav tests.....as well as FAILURES, as we can note them just as well. Save people alot of time testing DUDs if we knew of a bunch of them in advance as well the as the good players.

Old 12-22-2010   #44

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 dennit469 will become famous soon enoughdennit469 will become famous soon enoughdennit469 will become famous soon enoughdennit469 will become famous soon enoughdennit469 will become famous soon enoughdennit469 will become famous soon enough

seems cheap
dennit469 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 121 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

Well, it is.

Even the Ural CDD, the only real HU that could read flac, looks cheap (although I can assure you it isn't). And that's probably its only downfall, along with the weird interface.

Nick
oısɹǝʌǝɹ :ɐʇɐqoɹd snʇɹıʌ
Now stripped out
n_olympios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

We simply don't have anough 'Geeks' interested in making Car Audio better, to hack firmware on current Multimedia units that is.

Home Multimedia (ie. WD TV Live Plus) has been hacked to shit to add improvements. Car audio ? seems to be all about adding plecebo 'capacitor and oppamp' upgrades.
We need MORE keyboard heros and less soldering iron heros.

Old 01-06-2011   #47

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 103 stream will become famous soon enoughstream will become famous soon enoughstream will become famous soon enoughstream will become famous soon enoughstream will become famous soon enoughstream will become famous soon enough

Pioneer DEH-4000UB, 5000UB (EU version units) also sopports WAVE from USB.
URAL ConceRt supports FLAC from CD and proprietary HDD (20Gb).

n_olympios, Ural doesn't look cheap in real life...
And anyone can make it better easy - just erase all text and change plastic encoder cap to "Hi-Fi" one
http://s004.radikal.ru/i207/1001/47/371ff24bad63.jpg (but with with stock knob).

But Helix prototype was way prettier
stream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 121 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

Yeah, but it stayed a prototype (if that).

Well I own a Ural and when I was using it in the car, many mistook it for a cheap chinese unit.

Nick
oısɹǝʌǝɹ :ɐʇɐqoɹd snʇɹıʌ
Now stripped out
n_olympios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011   #49

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_olympios View Post
Yeah, but it stayed a prototype (if that).

Well I own a Ural and when I was using it in the car, many mistook it for a cheap chinese unit.
That's a good thing, because then you don't have to worry about thieves breaking into your car and then ripping it out (as much). That assumes that the thieves will at least look into the car before breaking in...
Old 01-10-2011   #50

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Keyo will become famous soon enoughKeyo will become famous soon enoughKeyo will become famous soon enoughKeyo will become famous soon enoughKeyo will become famous soon enoughKeyo will become famous soon enough

nice
Keyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement