Boston Acoustics GT amps.. (gt2200, 2150, 275) Review - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 155 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Boston Acoustics GT amps.. (gt2200, 2150, 275) Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjf1fan View Post
I know this is an old one but I do have a few questions from an actual user. Basically I need to know what I've got here, should I go with a GT2200? I have a GT2125 and two G3 12" 2-ohm (dual 4) subs. I'm thinking of going to a GT2200, what exactly made you stray from using the GT2200 on your bass? And what made you say you've heard better amps? Isn't it impossible to compare an amp to another if it's powering a different subwoofer, not to mention using a different source unit?

PS- My stuff's not even hooked up, it's all on a shelf waiting to go into a '06 Jetta.
First off.......I dont recall saying I've heard "better" amps....If I did then it must be out of context either by myself or the reader. As far as being impossible to tell? I am not of that belief, however with your different sub/source, etc....You are correct. Dont see how that relates to me or my vehicle situation. If there was ever a situation of a direct swap of parts be it amps etc.....It was in my truck. I set it up for that reason because I used to enjoy trying so many different things.

To answer your question.....I would say with two subs I would absolutely go for the 2200 or better the 2300! In my situation I was referring to the fact I hated to waste the beautiful Power from the big two channel on a sub vs. midbass etc.... My sub did not require a ton of Power and I love extra juice to my components. It was all about my particular situation vs. ability of the amp.
I still stand by these amps as a phenomenal amount of super clean power at a great price!
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 105 ZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enough

Does any one know.. when the fans turn on which way does the hot air blow out? Is it from the long back side or from the sides?
ZAKOH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 88 thomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKOH View Post
Does any one know.. when the fans turn on which way does the hot air blow out? Is it from the long back side or from the sides?
The gt amps have one fan on the right side if your looking at the back od the heat sink where the fan is. The fan just blows air on to the heat sink it not facing to the left or right but directly at the heat sink.

"What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be."
thomasluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013   #54

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 rahul3616 will become famous soon enoughrahul3616 will become famous soon enoughrahul3616 will become famous soon enoughrahul3616 will become famous soon enoughrahul3616 will become famous soon enoughrahul3616 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
I still stand by these amps as a phenomenal amount of super clean Power at a great price!
I've made up mind to get a GT2200 to Power my Hybrid audio L6SE. My current setup goes like this :

Eclipse CD7200 mkII
HAT L1v2 & L6SE powered by Celestra FA 475x (Active)
Morel Ultimo SC 12 powered by Rockford Fosgate T400-2.

Celestra FA475x is rated 90WMRS X 4. I'm thinking to give the L6SE midbass some more juice hence thinking to get a GT2200 and power the tweets from Celestra FA475. I don't want to negotiate on the SQ.

Kindly Advise.

Last edited by rahul3616; 04-22-2013 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: quoting
rahul3616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013   #55

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 neo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enough

Bringing this back from the dead based on my impressions after about a year of use. I managed to snag a 2125 when Sonic was clearing them out for a ball-busting $100 (I know, wife was pissed lol). The intent was to use it bridged at 2ohms daily on a DC Level 2 10" which was placed in a barely oversized ported enclosure and wanted to see what she was really capable of doing. Figuring I would call it quits at 1% distortion, I just wanted to know how much sub-capable duty she'd be good for...

Turns out that Malaysian-made pipsqueak can do close to 1300W at 2ohms before reaching that 1% mark...dare we say it's a TAD underrated? Just wish I had bought four more at that price since SE is now out of stock...

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
neo_styles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013   #56
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 276 JAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone know why the first series Boston GT amps have 2 pos and 2 neg terminals?

I now have a gt28 and gt42 and both have 2 of each. I dont recall that with the later series or the one I had first which was like this.

I skimmed over manual and didnt see anything about it. is that for a cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedNihilist View Post
Furthermore... The economy improving is a fact, it has been measured and is not subjective.
The mirage is the belief that this can't be true. It is. America is starting to come around
JAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013   #57

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 neo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enoughneo_styles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX View Post
does anyone know why the first series Boston GT amps have 2 pos and 2 neg terminals?

I now have a gt28 and gt42 and both have 2 of each. I dont recall that with the later series or the one I had first which was like this.

I skimmed over manual and didnt see anything about it. is that for a cap?
You see this on a lot of high-power sub stage amps. Just allows for more current to and from the amp

Old 10-02-2013   #58
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 276 JAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
You see this on a lot of high-power sub stage amps. Just allows for more current to and from the amp

its on the 4 channel also. I just need to know if I need both. I tested the gt28 only using one of each and both channels played but I didnt turn it up at all.

I really dont want to run 8 wires to these two amps, lol...if I dont find a buyer for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedNihilist View Post
Furthermore... The economy improving is a fact, it has been measured and is not subjective.
The mirage is the belief that this can't be true. It is. America is starting to come around
JAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013   #59

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX View Post
its on the 4 channel also. I just need to know if I need both. I tested the gt28 only using one of each and both channels played but I didnt turn it up at all.

I really dont want to run 8 wires to these two amps, lol...if I dont find a buyer for them
It's not needed, but it does mitigate users from having to get machined dual inputs to their amps for more throughput. Some of the old Autotek Mean Machines followed a similar design and I've seen some creative ways of accommodating for that. If you're not getting your desired Power on one set of inputs, having that second set should be a key to stepping up. You and I both know how much of a monster that GT28 is and some people will want to get max potential from it, that's all.

That being said, Boston is done with Car audio, meaning if you sell them, good luck finding the Italian-made GTs as clean and minty as the ones you have. I'd keep them forever if I were you and plan to do the same with my GT2125. Onlinecarstereo is one of the last people I've seen offering the GT series at essentially blowout prices, but we all know how they're prone to listing equipment they no longer carry.

Old 02-12-2016   #60

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 34 my2006c6 will become famous soon enoughmy2006c6 will become famous soon enoughmy2006c6 will become famous soon enoughmy2006c6 will become famous soon enoughmy2006c6 will become famous soon enoughmy2006c6 will become famous soon enough

Here is some info for ya.. On boston GT-42

These series of Boston amps were built by GT Trading that built the Italian STEG amps before STEG was bought by Gladen. I’m making the assumption that’s where the GT prefix on these amps was derived. Ivan Mosconi is a world renowned high end amplifier designer from Italy that designed the Italian made STEG amplifiers. Gladen, out of German, bought STEG around 2007 and started manufacturing a Mosconi AS series of amps, based on the old STEG amps,, but named after the designer. While there may be subtle differences, the Mosconi AS series amps are more or less a continuation of the original high end STEG amps.

So, long story short, this particular series of Boston GT amps are very similar to the current Mosconi AS series amps. Now, some of these earlier model (smooth solid silver) GT amps are made in GT Trading’s Italian Build house. I believe most of the earlier ones were all built in Italy, but at some point in this earlier model line (smooth solid silver) they started building them in GT Trading’s Malaysia Build house. As far as the design goes, all the Boston GT “surfboard” amps have Italian (STEG/Mosconi) origins, regardless of where they are built. However, all the later model Boston GT amps (silver and black) are Malaysian built. Where they’re put together shouldn’t make much if any difference, assuming the same quality control. However, the earlier Boston GT amps built in Italy are about as close as you can get to the current Gladen, Mosconi AS amps at a mere pittance of the price!!
my2006c6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016   #61

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 106 THEDUKE will become famous soon enoughTHEDUKE will become famous soon enoughTHEDUKE will become famous soon enoughTHEDUKE will become famous soon enoughTHEDUKE will become famous soon enoughTHEDUKE will become famous soon enough

Only the GT-28 and GT-42 were made in Italy. They decided after that to built them all in Malaysia since the defective rate for the Malaysian built ones was no different than the ones built in Italy.
THEDUKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2016   #62

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 34 my2006c6 will become famous soon enoughmy2006c6 will become famous soon enoughmy2006c6 will become famous soon enoughmy2006c6 will become famous soon enoughmy2006c6 will become famous soon enoughmy2006c6 will become famous soon enough

Later years in gt line,were claimed to be clones.. But saw test where they def still do rated power. Still great amp.
I still have my older gt-42 ,which were under rated for power,, and will never let it go.., its under my bed but it will be used again.
Currently using older version of Helix dark blue 5, which i wish i could get more info on besides manul - Guess its a hybrid
Old 05-21-2016   #63

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEDUKE View Post
Only the GT-28 and GT-42 were made in Italy. They decided after that to built them all in Malaysia since the defective rate for the Malaysian built ones was no different than the ones built in Italy.
Add the early GT-50 to the list of made in Italy
Just more info on Amp and old thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement