Boston Acoustics GT amps.. (gt2200, 2150, 275) Review - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Default Boston Acoustics GT amps.. (gt2200, 2150, 275) Review

I am preparing to do a review on the newer GT amps from Boston Acoustics.
I have the GT2200 that I am putting in tomorrow am to run my 2 way comp set via the passives. I am going from an active setup with a Soundstream HRU.4 running the two way set to this particular 200x2 amp with the passives. I can say thus far that I am shocked at the small size of this amp! If it is 200x2 (said to be a decent amount under rated) then I am a HAPPY MOFO! I am awaiting my 2150 for midbass and 275 for tweets. The 2200 will be for my 2 g510's (maybe just one ported....ya never know!). I can say the Build quality is incredible! I am shocked how small a package it really is in person! (these are designed/made in italy?? hmmmmm, wonder if they take after any other famous italian brands?)
I will have the 2200 in some time tomorrow, again running a two way set with passives.... I will update with pics, and with responses. I will continue to update as I setup the whole system active and subs. Eventually it will most likely consist of the spz60 front stage. I decided to donate my funds to a local company. (peabody ma. is only about 35min from me (BA HQ).
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 107 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Boston Acoustics GT amps.. (gt2200, 2150, 275) Review

don't tease us...pics now!

Alpine HU, Alpine H800
Sinfoni Solo AD-LIB powering Sinfoni Eroico M series
Arc Audio XDI 1100.1 powering IDMAX 12

Car...sounds...awesome!!!
kizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha ha.....I only have the 2200 open.....Tomorrow I will make sure to take a photo! BA's website has some good pics of the internals etc.. though. I am excited to give them a go though thats for damn sure.... Loved the original GT's!

Old 02-10-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 162 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

You need to pick up your wife tomorrow around 5pm with the goodies installed
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 278 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
I am preparing to do a review on the newer GT amps from Boston Acoustics.
I have the GT2200 that I am putting in tomorrow am to run my 2 way comp set via the passives. I am going from an active setup with a Soundstream HRU.4 running the two way set to this particular 200x2 amp with the passives. I can say thus far that I am shocked at the small size of this amp! If it is 200x2 (said to be a decent amount under rated) then I am a HAPPY MOFO! I am awaiting my 2150 for midbass and 275 for tweets. The 2200 will be for my 2 g510's (maybe just one ported....ya never know!). I can say the Build quality is incredible! I am shocked how small a package it really is in person! (these are designed/made in italy?? hmmmmm, wonder if they take after any other famous italian brands?)
I will have the 2200 in some time tomorrow, again running a two way set with passives.... I will update with pics, and with responses. I will continue to update as I setup the whole system active and subs. Eventually it will most likely consist of the spz60 front stage. I decided to donate my funds to a local company. (peabody ma. is only about 35min from me (BA HQ).
What's written on the amp? Made in ...?
I know the original GT (28-42-50) have been made by Audio-System in Italy but apparently their deal is now off. Wonder if they are still made in Italy or Korea now or elsewhere...

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
What's written on the amp? Made in ...?
I know the original GT (28-42-50) have been made by Audio-System in Italy but apparently their deal is now off. Wonder if they are still made in Italy or Korea now or elsewhere...

Kelvin
This is a FANTASTIC question! It now leads me to want to open up my amp and take a peak... I hate to open up my amps for several reasons, but usually comes down to me not knowing what I am looking at so why bother? Now I want to see if it says anything inside about its origins. I was told by a rep the new ones were also italian and "extremely" similar to the original GT amps? I will crack it open and look because now I am intrigued. I am more interested to see its performance I dont know if I will get to it today because its -0 right now and I dont like that type of cold! Plus I am still waiting for my other two amps (275/2150). The other two amps will be my front stage and my 2200 will be for my pair of G5 10's. If I end up only running one, and my mids are ok with it....I will run the 2150 on the sub and the 2200 on the mids....
Old 02-11-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
You need to pick up your wife tomorrow around 5pm with the goodies installed
HAHAHA No, I dont think this setup will be finalized for decent amount of time...I still need to Build a new center console for either one or two g5 10's (either be one ported or both sealed). I also am waiting for payments on some of my other stuff so I can buy the spz60s.... Anyone want a JBL BPX500.1???? I dont need it anymore This is one of my all time favorite sub amps. Around 800watts regardless of ohm load, runs super cool, and sounds incredible! (not to big either?)
Old 02-11-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Ok.....Just flipped the amp over and it says made in malaysia??????? So much for the BA rep? There could be a thousand reasons for this and still be true to what the rep said.... Maybe the company in Italy was getting all there parts from Malaysia and putting them together in Italy and BA decided to cut out the middle man? Obviously this is just speculation on my part and at the end of the day I could care less where something is made. I dont believe that it has any real bearing on the actual product and I am not sure where Malaysia is ranked on the list of "quality" I have owned several amps from Korea, China, Japan, USA, etc......... Never had any noticeable issues with any particular amps due to its original origin.
Old 02-11-2011   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 278 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
Ok.....Just flipped the amp over and it says made in malaysia??????? So much for the BA rep? There could be a thousand reasons for this and still be true to what the rep said.... Maybe the company in Italy was getting all there parts from Malaysia and putting them together in Italy and BA decided to cut out the middle man? Obviously this is just speculation on my part and at the end of the day I could care less where something is made. I dont believe that it has any real bearing on the actual product and I am not sure where Malaysia is ranked on the list of "quality" I have owned several amps from Korea, China, Japan, USA, etc......... Never had any noticeable issues with any particular amps due to its original origin.
Weeerd!!!

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011   #10
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 278 JAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond repute

I wait patiently to hear what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedNihilist View Post
Furthermore... The economy improving is a fact, it has been measured and is not subjective.
The mirage is the belief that this can't be true. It is. America is starting to come around
JAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 105 Angrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enough

It's the next day and I still see no pics
Angrywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Ended up going to Maine for the weekend....Monday is the day
Old 02-14-2011   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Ok! Just put the 2200 in........(sorry, I didnt take any pics...the rest of the bunch will be here Thurs. so I will photo those but they look just like the website)

First thoughts about the install.......I was scared that the terminals looked really small even though they say they accept 4gau(power/grnd) but they fit in really nice and easy, a very clean finish! The remote turn on Wire goes in next to the rca inputs with a female spade terminal. I wasnt sure what I thought of it? Not sure why they do it, but I dont find it any sort of issue, thats for sure. The rca input area also scared me (all inputs be it power, speaker, or signal) because it looked like it would only take in small diam. rca's but my hefty ones fit in perfect and again with a really nice fit and finish. I turned everything on and it took me some time to see if there was any sort of light that goes on to show its on? There is, its nice and subtle the way I like it! The B of Boston on the top left corner lights up red. Its quite nice! It wont fill up your trunk with red or set off any signals to super thiefs (not a problem for me because they are behind my back seat). I ran them to a set of passives to my hertz hsk165xl's (have to admit I like them better off the passives?????????) I am a firm believer that some amps have a signature sound, maybe they do, maybe they dont. I instantly noticed two things asap with this amp.....#1 it was incredibly powerful, a great amp for a set of rubust components if your running the passives! The 2nd thing I noticed was that it was CRYSTAL and I mean CRYSTAL clear! It had zero signature of any kind. It was one of the purest signal to Speaker transitions I have ever been around. I am using the PPI dcx-730 to set the high pass on the comps (65hz, only because it still seams so frigging weak in that area) My sub is also x at the same point, if I were smart I would x higher to make up for the lacking midbass drivers (sorry hertz guys....I dont get it?) but I want to see what I can drag out of them and to see if the amp is adding or subtracting anything......its not! I used the processor for xovers and input/volume control, the eq is %100 flat.
I am not going to say what I paid for these amps but I did get them direct from B.A. (refurbs) for about 1/4 or less per amp......It should be illegal to buy these things that cheap! For the price there has never been a better amp that touched my hands, but that is not fair because of the low price. I would say it is every bit as good as any high end amp I have ever had in my truck. Its no frills....Limited xover, eq, etc...... Its exactly what I needed and with all these insane processors out and coming out its usefull for many.
They have twin fans but I will be damned if I could here it, and its just sitting under my back seat so its fairly exposed. It was cool to the touch also, but I have not really gone balls to the walls with it yet either.....That will be tomorrow I will try and get pics of the other amps next to something so you can see how small they really are. I was very surprised when I opened the box. They are really narrow (kinda like the jl slash amps but smaller, not hd or xd small, but small) and low profile. I consider it a really small package for 200x2 (at least) or 900x1 at 2ohms.... So far I am in love and cant give a big enough thumbs up. At there internet prices (and in my opinion the retail) there is few if any better. In fact, I would put it up against the vast majority of the sexy lines (dls, zuki, etc.....)

More to come......MUCH MUCH more!
Old 02-14-2011   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 102 s4turn will become famous soon enoughs4turn will become famous soon enoughs4turn will become famous soon enoughs4turn will become famous soon enoughs4turn will become famous soon enoughs4turn will become famous soon enough

Nice review!

I have a few boston amps myself (see sig), and have owned a gt20 as well
all of them had "made in italy" labelled on them, however the gt40 has made in Malaysia labelled on it

Alpine W505 + h701 | Boston GT 24/40/42 Amps | Boston G5 sub | Scanspeak Fronts | 18w/8531 | 12m/4631G | D2004/6020-00
s4turn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011   #15
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 278 JAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond repute

I ordered the last GT2200 but it will be for sale and not used as I ordered the GT24 and like it better cosmetically. if someone wants let me know

Quote:
Furthermore... The economy improving is a fact, it has been measured and is not subjective.
The mirage is the belief that this can't be true. It is. America is starting to come around
Old 02-15-2011   #16
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

I cancelled my order for the GT2200 and picked up the GT24 as I liked the looks more. Couple of original gt amps just look better lined up imo. So the last 2200 should back for sale.

Quote:
Old 02-15-2011   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Good to know
Old 02-15-2011   #18
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

well it is supposed but I guess its not changed in the system yet. last I looked.

Quote:
Old 02-17-2011   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Ok, Pics up! these are pics of the 275 (smallest amp I have ever owned) and the 2150 (only a 1/3rd bigger at the most).
They both say made in Malaysia for the record!)
I will get these in this weekend along with the 2200 already installed. I will be using the 2150 on the mids, 275 on the tweets, and the 2200 on the subs. (might use the 2200 on the mids and the 2150 on the sub?)
I will post back with new results later, but thus far I am in love with my 2200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3197.jpg (51.9 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3198.jpg (45.1 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3199.jpg (52.9 KB, 202 views)
Old 02-17-2011   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 109 rain27 will become famous soon enoughrain27 will become famous soon enoughrain27 will become famous soon enoughrain27 will become famous soon enoughrain27 will become famous soon enoughrain27 will become famous soon enough

Looks like you have a soft spot for Boston Acoustics...same here. I've always thought they've made quality stuff and they go against the grain. They continue to be innovative and come out with unique products.

I'm curious about the Italy connection as well. It continues to be a mystery.
rain27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

LOL, Yeah I do! I always have. I have a soft spot for a few companys for various reasons (JBL being one of the others). I ultimately went with the GT amps because of the Power of there two channel amps and versatility, it was a toss up between these and the RF Power amps but for the cost of these it was just a better deal. I ran across a deal locally for a pair of G5 10's that I would have been insane not to take, even if it were for just the sake of reselling them. Lucky for me they are one of my top 5 subs and would work excellent in my center console and I wanted to take out my NAK 12 for home use. The spz60s have always been one of my favorite comp sets. In my opinion its in the top 5 of all time two way plug and play comp sets. (on my list they are #3). To me the midbass is as close to the scan rev as I have yet to play with and to me that is a great thing. I also love the tweeters with that set (its all about placement) and if I ever decide to run 3way again I can add scan rev 4" that would blend perfect with the set. I will have this whole system for less then 1k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would make anyone a BA fan IMO
Old 02-18-2011   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 109 rain27 will become famous soon enoughrain27 will become famous soon enoughrain27 will become famous soon enoughrain27 will become famous soon enoughrain27 will become famous soon enoughrain27 will become famous soon enough

What other speakers round out your list?
rain27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

In "my" order.....
#1 Brax Matrix is by far the greatest set of components I have ever heard Bar None!
#2 JBL 660GTI- Out of the box its incredible assuming you have Power and can fit the waveguides. If you cant use the waveguides then it would not make my top ten (maybe)
#3 Boston Acoustics SPZ60- EXTREMELY install friendly, 3ohm load helps get reasonable Power out of normal amps, shallow mounting (can also fit in smaller holes), excellent range of sound and an incredibly flat doing so! To me, in the price range (retail) its tops!
#4 Focal K2p (what ever new variation of #s and letters the models are now too). I absolutely love the midrange from this set. I heard a focal demo vehicle (iasca champ a few years back) and the midrange was just haunting from it! Even on the demo wall its sounds fantastic! (in a good/proper install I have never heard them to be even remotely harsh)
#5 Diamond audio D9. This set to me was a great cross of midbass with exceptionally detailed but laid back in delivery tweeters. Female vocals were a huge standout to me with this set, add in some jazzy background and you have a sound you will remember forever!

The last two sets could be swapped out with a few others of course....There are a LOT of great sets out there. I have heard a lot of them and I am sure I snubbed a few. But it doesnt matter because its just my opinion anyway
Old 02-18-2011   #24
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

got my GT24 today. its still in the box. something tells me the sticker will say "malaysia" because all the ones on ebay had Malaysia. Maybe there was a production run change??

who knows, and who cares as long as it sounds good and is reliable. certainly a good price for it.

I just happened to like the older model better than the new one but that would not deter me if I buy more.

Quote:
Old 02-18-2011   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Yeah I dont get the whole where its made crap? If its good its good! I have had great amps made from all over the world!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement