LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 zylerh will become famous soon enoughzylerh will become famous soon enoughzylerh will become famous soon enoughzylerh will become famous soon enoughzylerh will become famous soon enoughzylerh will become famous soon enough

Default Hertz HSK 165.4 vs. Massive Audio Ck6 vs A/D/S 346cs review

I recently was able to compare several 6.5 component sets over the weekend in my Car and thought Iíd give my opinion on the sounds and differences. Three components were compared- Hertz hsk165.4 (newer model), Massive audio ck6, and A/D/S 346cs
First my original system (which happens to be my first):
-Camry 07 SE
-Amp: Eclipse XA4000- rated 125rms to the components, 350 bridged to sub
-Head unit: Kenwood Excelon DDX8017- excellent unit btw
-A/D/S 346cs 6.5 components- tweeter in the sails, woofer in the original factory location- both doors double layer of sound deadener with neoprene baffles
-rears- who cares - theyíre factory
-sub: Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 in the truck sealed in 1 c.f. with polyfill

First comparison with Hertz hsk165.4 in the left side and A/D/S on the right.
The hertz tweeter is just so smooth. These are the best tweets that Iíve heard so far. The vocals arenít harsh and the cymbals are visible but not in your face. The tweets were aimed at the passengerís ears as the manual recommends. They just exist enough to be heard but donít overwhelm the sound. Definitely more visible than the A/D/S tweets. The voice (I used different CDís ranging from Kid Cudi, Pink, to U2) are smooth and clear with the Hertz. Used the Hertz crossover on the left side.
The woofer is a different story- it really didnít distinguish itself too much from my A/D/S woofers, which look much better imo. The lower frequencies (bass) are somewhat weak with both woofers. The midrange is ok- nothing that stands out. Note that they donít suck either- theyíre both good enough. It could be that Iím not driving enough Power to the Hertz, so take that into account.

Given that I felt the Hertz set was simply better than my A/D/S set I didnít bother to compare the A/D/S set with the CK6s.

Therefore I replaced the right side with the CK6s and itís crossover.
The ck6 tweets are harsh. I know that in one review I read you need to give it time to break in the tweets but I canít imagine them getting much softer to my liking. The tweets are the newer silk dome 28mm tweets. The cymbals are crystal clear, but too clear in my opinion. They have more detail than the Hertz, but I really think this seemed to be the case because the ck6 tweets were simply lounder. When I set them at -3db the still were too in-my-face. They almost sound like the Infinity Kappas tweets that I heard in my friendís Car several years back. The vocals are the same, but loud to where I swear Bonoís voice was straining or even somewhat muddled (same opinion from my girlfriend in the passenger seat). I even switched the crossovers with the Hertz system during this trial. I messed with the db and set it at -3, 0, but didnít bother with +3. I also did the same with the Hertz set. Now I did a comparison with these two sets for 2 hours (really wanted to like the tweets of the ck6 and thought maybe my headunitís settings were off, but each time came to the conclusion that my ears would eventual strain with these tweets). Those of you who like the tweet to be a little stronger will love em, but be aware that I really felt the vocals were strained.

Now for the ck6 woofers- completely different story. These are badass woofers . DAT wasnít lying. They are simply wonderful- rich and full of bass. Instruments and bass lines during U2ís Actung Baby soundtrack were heard that I didnít know existed. For example it handled ďtryin to throw your arms around the world- track 9Ē Ė something my A/D/S struggled to do well when Adamís bass guitar starts in the song. Midrange and midbass is excellent. And for the first time, my sub was not prominent in any of the tracks- the woofers mixed very well with the sub. They simply filled the car with rich sound. Again crossovers were switched and I even switched the tweeters. They easily took the Power from my amp and put out a great sound.

I spent two hours comparing these two sets- somewhat became obsessed to be honest. I changed multiple settings on the headunit- changed the crossovers- mixed the woofers and tweeters- I canít even remember all the different combos I tried. Basically in the end I found the tweets of the Hertz set and the woofers of the ck6 set to work the best. I kept the massive audio crossovers also. I am quite happy with this combo- until the next thing hits of course .

Last edited by zylerh; 02-15-2011 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: added review
zylerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 53 pandaboy50 will become famous soon enoughpandaboy50 will become famous soon enoughpandaboy50 will become famous soon enoughpandaboy50 will become famous soon enoughpandaboy50 will become famous soon enoughpandaboy50 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Hertz HSK 165.4 vs. Massive Audio Ck6 vs A/D/S 346cs review

great review, I installed my set of ck6 as well. I found the tweeters to be quite harsh. the woofer was very boomy as well. I don't know if that's a good thing or not yet. For the price I would say these speakers are easily worth double their price!
pandaboy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 52 Durry will become famous soon enoughDurry will become famous soon enoughDurry will become famous soon enoughDurry will become famous soon enoughDurry will become famous soon enoughDurry will become famous soon enough

Nice Review...let see how i like them.
Durry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 69 kvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enough

I think the crossover is too lenient on the tweeters. Before I bought these, I had been using my Alpine SPX ring radiators, and I've noticed that with different passives XO's the tweeter would sound too bright or just right. I think the PPI 356cs crossover tamed them the best.

However when I ran the Ck6 woofer, Ck6 XO and Alpine tweeter, it was untamed again. I finally put the Massive tweeters in the sail panels and I do agree that it's harsh. I think it needs a little more attenuation. Probably another resistor inline... but I'm not sure what value to use...?

I'm tempted to buy different passive crossovers and see which tame these tweeters the best. I do agree- they have INCREDIBLE detail, but even at -3 they're louder than I care for.

Great review! I never wrote my own review of these, but my judgment of them was based on the details in songs that I could suddenly hear that I didn't know were there before. Those mids do blow away anything I have heard thus far. It's funny because when I'm at home and I listen to a song and hear in my home speakers some detail I didn't know was in a song, I make it a point to listen to that song next time I get in the Car and see if I can hear it there too. The Massives have yet to disappoint me.

Who gives a fuck, I can't hear above 15kHz anyway...
Wtf????? Where this shyt com from?? Nd why the Hell they point u out??? Who told u.this? Dats Fukn childish
kvndoom will become famous soon enough

Last edited by kvndoom; 02-16-2011 at 07:00 AM..
kvndoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 128 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting? I really dont think its a very fair or realistic approach to "reviewing" or even testing comp sets.... My advice is to install each set seperately and install them as they should be. Tweets on or off axis, depeding on the company recommendations. This will give a much clearer sense of each comps abilities or faults. One set on one side vs. the other side really isnt a valid way to compare comp sets. It might be really fun to see what the results would be if you REALLY install each set as a whole and set everything up accordingly. Maybe the results will be the same? Maybe not? I am sure the overall impressions of each set will change dramatically! Great choices of comps to compare though!
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 zylerh will become famous soon enoughzylerh will become famous soon enoughzylerh will become famous soon enoughzylerh will become famous soon enoughzylerh will become famous soon enoughzylerh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
Interesting? I really dont think its a very fair or realistic approach to "reviewing" or even testing comp sets.... My advice is to install each set seperately and install them as they should be. Tweets on or off axis, depeding on the company recommendations. This will give a much clearer sense of each comps abilities or faults. One set on one side vs. the other side really isnt a valid way to compare comp sets. It might be really fun to see what the results would be if you REALLY install each set as a whole and set everything up accordingly. Maybe the results will be the same? Maybe not? I am sure the overall impressions of each set will change dramatically! Great choices of comps to compare though!
I think I was drained after so much testing. The harshness of the ck6 tweets led me to believe I wouldn't handle both tweets going strong- but you never know. What I learned was that both the ck6 and hertz tweets are clearer and louder than my A/D/S. Now with my current set up (Hertz tweets), I notice the tweets more than ever. I have to get used to this new sound- still a little harsh at times for me when coming from the A/D/S tweets.

Kvndoom- maybe I should have used the A/D/S crossovers and the ck6's tweets would have been tamed.
Regardless, the entire ck6 set is well worth the price.
zylerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 106 AAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enough

I agree that the tweets are to loud, the passives don't do a good job of allowing us to attenuate them enough, especially for a pillar mounted install. However for off axis kick mounted, they might be alright.

I found that just attenuating the tweets at 8khz a bit really helped with the smoothness even with the stock passives.... but this helps most sets I have used in car.

Of course active is a different story as it's easy to control the loudness. MS8 makes this set sound awesome IMO.

I first used these passive bridged off of an nx5 and I couldn't believe the output from the mids. These are beasts as mentioned before.

I found that the set sounded strange until after a few hours of break in. After the break in, I found the improvement to be considerable.
AAAAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 ilovebass will become famous soon enoughilovebass will become famous soon enoughilovebass will become famous soon enoughilovebass will become famous soon enoughilovebass will become famous soon enoughilovebass will become famous soon enough

very nice review, i agree the ck6 tweets are very loud and clear..to the point I would say harsh too. I have it set at 0 on the crossover and want to bring it to -3 but am too lazy to open the doors again.
ilovebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 69 kvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enough

I'm just gonna order a few pairs of resistors from parts express and experiment until I get it just right. I'll update in a week or three with results.

Wtf????? Where this shyt com from?? Nd why the Hell they point u out??? Who told u.this? Dats Fukn childish
Old 02-17-2011   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 primetime1267 will become famous soon enoughprimetime1267 will become famous soon enoughprimetime1267 will become famous soon enoughprimetime1267 will become famous soon enoughprimetime1267 will become famous soon enoughprimetime1267 will become famous soon enough

I'm hoping when I get my set of ck6 the tweets are a tad tamer. I'm going to leave them in my Yukon stock location in the door panel. I'll post an update on the harshness if I experience it also.
primetime1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 245 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if it's too harsh, just put them more offaxis. Focal has been preaching this for years now. And I agree with Rexroadj, try to install 1 set at a time, take notes of what you like and what you don't like. Listen for small details, center stage (1st row at a concert or 10 rows back), imaging and soundstage (well defined, precise), etc...

Your preference might change again. And if you do that a year from now, you might go back to your first choice... Car audio is fun

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 53 pandaboy50 will become famous soon enoughpandaboy50 will become famous soon enoughpandaboy50 will become famous soon enoughpandaboy50 will become famous soon enoughpandaboy50 will become famous soon enoughpandaboy50 will become famous soon enough

I may have gotten a lemon but after having my tweeters installed for about two days one of my tweeters is blown. I have not cranked it up to ear splitting levels, if at all.
Old 02-18-2011   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 245 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaboy50 View Post
I may have gotten a lemon but after having my tweeters installed for about two days one of my tweeters is blown. I have not cranked it up to ear splitting levels, if at all.
Which set?

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaboy50 View Post
Passive? Active? What amp?

Old 02-18-2011   #15

DIYMA freshman

Massive ck6, I ran them passive. Amp was a jl 300/2
Old 02-20-2011   #16

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 87 Bndrulez will become famous soon enoughBndrulez will become famous soon enoughBndrulez will become famous soon enoughBndrulez will become famous soon enoughBndrulez will become famous soon enoughBndrulez will become famous soon enough

Do these sets come with the braxial mounts that are pictured in DAT's classified thread? With all this talk of harshness I may want to mount them coaxially in the door first off, then experimenting with the tweets mounted in the sails afterward. I will be running mine active with a CDA-9835 and 60x4 amp.
Bndrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bndrulez View Post
Do these sets come with the braxial mounts that are pictured in DAT's classified thread? With all this talk of harshness I may want to mount them coaxially in the door first off, then experimenting with the tweets mounted in the sails afterward. I will be running mine active with a CDA-9835 and 60x4 amp.
Yeah it's a little plastic piece that screws into the back of the tweeter. It's in the box.

Old 02-21-2011   #18

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 87 Bndrulez will become famous soon enoughBndrulez will become famous soon enoughBndrulez will become famous soon enoughBndrulez will become famous soon enoughBndrulez will become famous soon enoughBndrulez will become famous soon enough

Thank you.
Old 02-22-2011   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 95 jel847 will become famous soon enoughjel847 will become famous soon enoughjel847 will become famous soon enoughjel847 will become famous soon enoughjel847 will become famous soon enoughjel847 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bndrulez View Post
i plan on doing the same thing. i bought the ck-6's i pl;an on mounting braxially and installing in the doors along with the ct-2 tweeters that i plan on mounting in the dash. i hope to get it all installed in the next few weeks. the massive stuff is replacing my aura mr-62 braxials and mr-1 tweeters that are installed there now..
mine wont be run acticve so my plans are different in that aspect.

the massive gear looks well built thats for certain. i will post a review once i get it installed and spend some time with them.
jel847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

That's What She Said

12V Company:
Honky Mo Fo Audio
Position:
H.C.I.C. - Head Cracker In Charge

Rep Power: 111 chithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura about

I'm using a small computer amp to break mine in, and these things are phenomenal!!!

I am listening to music I haven't listened to in months just to see how they sound on this set. Everything is sounding great so far! From The Beatles, to Green Day, to Jet, to Foreigner, to The Black Crowes, Kylie Minogue, Led Zeppelin, Ella Fitzgerald, Metallica, Chopin... it's all superb!!!

chithead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #21

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 52 Durry will become famous soon enoughDurry will become famous soon enoughDurry will become famous soon enoughDurry will become famous soon enoughDurry will become famous soon enoughDurry will become famous soon enough

does component speakers have a break in period??? or just these "ck6" ....?
Durry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 78 Irishfocus06 will become famous soon enoughIrishfocus06 will become famous soon enoughIrishfocus06 will become famous soon enoughIrishfocus06 will become famous soon enoughIrishfocus06 will become famous soon enoughIrishfocus06 will become famous soon enough

Glad I read this about the Massive tweets. Gonna put them at -3. I like some harshness as long as it is clear, but my ears arent what they used to be.

Thanks for the reviews guys.

Also purchased the ck6's, but not sure if only giving it 65-75rms is really gonna make them shine. I guess I shall see and if not, new amp.....
Irishfocus06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
I'm using a small computer amp to break mine in, and these things are phenomenal!!!

I am listening to music I haven't listened to in months just to see how they sound on this set. Everything is sounding great so far! From The Beatles, to Green Day, to Jet, to Foreigner, to The Black Crowes, Kylie Minogue, Led Zeppelin, Ella Fitzgerald, Metallica, Chopin... it's all superb!!!
Oh man, just wait till you throw some serious Power at them...

I'm still waiting for my resistors. I hope like hell I get them before Saturday.

Old 02-24-2011   #24

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durry View Post
does component speakers have a break in period??? or just these "ck6" ....?
Most all speakers have break in.
Old 02-24-2011   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 154 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

This should help you tame those tweets

L-Pad (Driver Attenuation Circuit) Designer / Calculator

Alpine INE-S920HD - Zapco Studio 300x - Boston SPZ60 - RF T400-2 - Boston G5 10"
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote