LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 127 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Default Boston Acoustics SPZ60......YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I just got them and just got done putting them in! I am in love....I will elaborate more but for now I will just say.......WOW!

I did some quick listening just to set xover points: 3200hz@24db with a high pass on the midbass at 68hz also 24db.
This is the highest I have ever xover any two way setup....It works....It works really really really well I have a Boston acoustics GT275 on the tweeters (2x75) and a GT2150 on the midbass (around 175x2 at 3ohms...give or take). Its a great combo as far as power/components! (just to be clear..I am running active!) The processor for now is a ppi dcx-730...I love this unit but I am awaiting the new release of the alpine and rockford units!
Mounting locations are: midbass in the doors...they are very well dampened! and the tweets in the a-pillars....
I will say from just some quick listening that this is the widest stage I have heard from a simple two way setup with nothing special going on..... It was immediately noticable. The imaging was exceptional without any sort of adjustments made. This is why I have been such a fan of this set for so long....not sure why it took so long to put some into my own ride????
This is what makes this set so great....You can use almost any mounting options or locations and they are still going to be great. I cant think of another set that is so forgiving in this regard.
The midrange on this set is some of the best I have ever had (2way or 3way I was fiddling with the set before I had the tweeters hooked up and even the sound was all on the dash, detailed all to hell, and it sounded very full....this was a great start and also very surprising....I couldnt wait to turn on the tweeters..... The detail obviously greatly improved and stage height rose a bit more. The set is very revealing, detailed, and buttery smooth! The midbass was very snappy and tactful in its representation.....they were just flat out accurate from 68-3200hz!!!! No strain, no muddy reproductions etc... They are a great upgrade from the hertz hsk165xls..... I am so glad to have those out of my truck!
The tweeters are very flat (which to me is a very good thing) and at the same time airy.... I dont think you could even make them harsh if you wanted to! Some might even find them to laid back? I find them very pleasing!

I will update more with specific tracks and the breakdowns of them.....
Of course all of this is nothing more then my opinion.....just a grain of salt people!

Here are a couple basic pics.... They have a small diameter mounting hole which is really nice! They are also SUPER light!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3210.jpg (83.8 KB, 578 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3211.jpg (72.2 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3212.jpg (87.8 KB, 479 views)
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #2

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 159 bassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Boston Acoustics SPZ60......YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
Ok, I just got them and just got done putting them in! I am in love....I will elaborate more but for now I will just say.......WOW!

I did some quick listening just to set xover points: 3200hz@24db with a high pass on the midbass at 68hz also 24db.
This is the highest I have ever xover any two way setup....It works....It works really really really well I have a Boston acoustics GT275 on the tweeters (2x75) and a GT2150 on the midbass (around 175x2 at 3ohms...give or take). Its a great combo as far as power/components! (just to be clear..I am running active!) The processor for now is a ppi dcx-730...I love this unit but I am awaiting the new release of the alpine and rockford units!
Mounting locations are: midbass in the doors...they are very well dampened! and the tweets in the a-pillars....
I will say from just some quick listening that this is the widest stage I have heard from a simple two way setup with nothing special going on..... It was immediately noticable. The imaging was exceptional without any sort of adjustments made. This is why I have been such a fan of this set for so long....not sure why it took so long to put some into my own ride????
This is what makes this set so great....You can use almost any mounting options or locations and they are still going to be great. I cant think of another set that is so forgiving in this regard.
The midrange on this set is some of the best I have ever had (2way or 3way I was fiddling with the set before I had the tweeters hooked up and even the sound was all on the dash, detailed all to hell, and it sounded very full....this was a great start and also very surprising....I couldnt wait to turn on the tweeters..... The detail obviously greatly improved and stage height rose a bit more. The set is very revealing, detailed, and buttery smooth! The midbass was very snappy and tactful in its representation.....they were just flat out accurate from 68-3200hz!!!! No strain, no muddy reproductions etc... They are a great upgrade from the hertz hsk165xls..... I am so glad to have those out of my truck!
The tweeters are very flat (which to me is a very good thing) and at the same time airy.... I dont think you could even make them harsh if you wanted to! Some might even find them to laid back? I find them very pleasing!

I will update more with specific tracks and the breakdowns of them.....
Of course all of this is nothing more then my opinion.....just a grain of salt people!

Here are a couple basic pics.... They have a small diameter mounting hole which is really nice! They are also SUPER light!!!!
Im going to ask the obvious. How do they compare to the 608's?
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 92 jimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enough

And the 660GTi's

"No where in your rambling incoherent response did you come close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. We are all dumber for having listened to it."
"People are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it."
jimbno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 89 Midwestrider will become famous soon enoughMidwestrider will become famous soon enoughMidwestrider will become famous soon enoughMidwestrider will become famous soon enoughMidwestrider will become famous soon enoughMidwestrider will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Midwestrider

Very nice, I'll be awaiting the full review on these.
Midwestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 127 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am going to reserve my comments comparing the 608s till I get A LOT more listening time in! There are a vast amount of differences between the sets thats for sure!!! I will say this though.....NOTHING yet can compare the the midbass of the 608s....even the mighty spzs!

The 660s are going to be an unfair comparison for two reasons....#1 I didnt use the waveguides (I tested them for a while with it but not a worth amount of time) and without them they are mediocre in my opinion. I also ran the passives with the 660s and the spzs I have not used the passives....I will get into that more as I get some more listening in.... I will say I am more then happy with my choice
Old 02-25-2011   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 129 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

You going to be in Stoneham tonight right?
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

LOL......in Maine actually
We should plan a time to get together in the spring!
Old 02-25-2011   #8

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
dtm autowerks
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 69 dtm337 will become famous soon enoughdtm337 will become famous soon enoughdtm337 will become famous soon enoughdtm337 will become famous soon enoughdtm337 will become famous soon enoughdtm337 will become famous soon enough

b.a's huh ... i think we need to all meet at my shop this spring to get our stuff dialed in .

eclipse avn-tru- audio control-hat l1pro-hat l3 se-hat l6-mcintosh mc 440 mc420-rainbow-i-pauldm2000-re10x2
dtm337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your shop would be perfect.....Not much around if I remember correctly? Hows your stuff coming along?
Old 02-26-2011   #10

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
dtm autowerks
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 69 dtm337 will become famous soon enoughdtm337 will become famous soon enoughdtm337 will become famous soon enoughdtm337 will become famous soon enoughdtm337 will become famous soon enoughdtm337 will become famous soon enough

my car is coming along ..set backs and losing my mind and my wallet...lol

but id like to at least do a monthly get together ,, get a group of people from diyma to converge and help each other out .?

eclipse avn-tru- audio control-hat l1pro-hat l3 se-hat l6-mcintosh mc 440 mc420-rainbow-i-pauldm2000-re10x2
Old 02-26-2011   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

That would be nice! And you have a great place to do it! My schedule is kinda whacky right now and is only going to get worse with our second son due in early July
Old 02-26-2011   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 81 stopdrpnro will become famous soon enoughstopdrpnro will become famous soon enoughstopdrpnro will become famous soon enoughstopdrpnro will become famous soon enoughstopdrpnro will become famous soon enoughstopdrpnro will become famous soon enough

i've been running the older version of these, the z6s with an almost identical install and i love them . feedin them 285 per side from my arc 300.2 mids in door tweets up on dash, every time someone gets in my car for the first time the first words out of their mouth is always wow.
stopdrpnro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #13

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Redline Audio & Cellular
Position:
car audio installer

Rep Power: 51 steffanan will become famous soon enoughsteffanan will become famous soon enoughsteffanan will become famous soon enoughsteffanan will become famous soon enoughsteffanan will become famous soon enoughsteffanan will become famous soon enough

so that looks like the exact same tweeter that is with the cheaper pro160se set, do you know if it is? if it is, im surprised that you like them so much, since i had two sets of the pro60's and hated the tweeters, because they were too bright and scary sounding. actually, you doing it active might be the diifference, as i used the passive crossovers. but i did have the tweets at -6 on the crossovers still.
steffanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Yes, they are the same tweeters. I have heard a few different vehicles with the passives in line, one of them I listened to SEVERAL times prior to me purchasing them. Not one time did I ever find them anything but super pleasing. Active is no different....I actually think in a lot of circumstances it may be to subtle for some. If the tweeters are harsh then someone is doing something terribly wrong somewhere? (not to be rude) This happens a lot with several components simply due to install error or the like. MB Quart is a prime example (as is the jbl 608s) If they are bright then something was done wrong, someone was not using them in the way they were intended...be it on or off axis.
Now to address your situation specifically.... I know that set very well and would bet almost anything that your "brightness" has WAY more to do with the midrange then the tweets. They are xover at a pretty high point, I also find aluminum mids tend to have a little bit of a brighter effect depending on what your doing with them and how there in there. I would be willing to bet a little more attention from 1.6-4k hz would help solve any issues by quite a bit. I doubt very highly that its the tweeters.

More on topic....I am going to be writing up a more detailed review from my listening results this morning... I actually had some time to just do nothing but listen to music
Old 03-01-2011   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 244 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid question but do you have a woofer tester? I'm interested in seeing specs for the SPZ mid.

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another
subwoofery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Alright......here are some of my observations to my listening experience. I should also add first, that there is nothing "special" to my install. Its about as basic as anyone could imagine. A good amount of deadner to my doors, baffles, and "normal" mounting locations.
I need to start off by saying I am extremely passionate about my music. This audio craze is mearly a side effect of the passion. Some of my writing from here on out may seem as though they are reviews for the songs... I chose the songs I did for several reasons, most of them I will mention. I like to think I have a pretty good selection of genres and recording styles, but at the end of the day I am a country guy.

Ok, lets get the road on the show

First up:
"Thats why I write songs" Jamey Johnson,
I chose this because A. He is my favorite artist. I spent most of my life never being able to say who my favorite artist was.....That was until I heard Jamey Johnson! He has written countless hits for others and over the last several years has been writing many of his own hits. He is about as close to the old school throw back rebel country singers as your gonna get. I am pretty sure if you lined up Johnny Cash, Waylon, etc... they would say "that Jamey Johnson is a bad SOB!).
I chose this particular song for reason B. because it was recorded at around 2am in a grand hall in Nashville that NO ONE gets to record in. The only way they would allow it is if he did it overnight. It has such a "REAL" feel to it! The sound is VERY LARGE and consuming like the room he was in. It also has a very unique feel to it with tons of detail. The SPZ's created a VERY life like experience with this song. It was very enjoyable to hear such a large sounding environment in the cab of my truck, it was also odd for the same reason. I will say this over and over and over about this set. They are not just flat.....they play extremely even. What I mean by that is nothing stands out or overshadows anything else. Guitar is guitar, drums are still drums, and vocals are nothing but vocals. Nothing mushes together... Its just very very clean!

"Belle of the Ball" Shooter Jennings (Waylon's son)
This song was recorded in Shooter's moms living room (Walyon's wife) as was a large portion of the album. Its a collection of several artists paying homage to the late and GREAT Waylon Jennings. I chose this song because I think its a great version and Shooter adds a great soulfull and gritty sound to this track, somewhat like his Dad did. There are a few parts that capture that IMO....(I dont think they sound anything like though). Again with the extremely intense vocal reproduction (midrange) of this set, the vocals of Shooter just take this song over. I am not sure I have had a dedicated midrange driver play the way this two way set does in the vocal region. It was very full, had great height, and detail that could only make someone smile, even if you hate the song! I actually listened to this a few times in a row.

"In Color" Jamey Johnson (acoustic)
Ok, I know I am starting a theme here....Dont worry, its the last country song I promise! This has been touted as possibly being one of the greatest songs ever written. Obviously there is no such thing, even from a structural stand point. If there was, he or myself would have already written it! (J/K This is pretty cool because its a really well done recording from a great studio in Nashville (studio 330, they show there videos from these recordings on the country channel all the time)
I dont care who you are, what music you like and dont like. If you dont get goose bumps from listening to this song on a well balanced, true sounding system then your just not human! This song paints a picture that is just undeniable, hence its popularity and awards. I almost stop taking notes after this because its the same thing as the last two....I cant add anything that I have not already said about the other two songs as far as the reproduction from the spz60s. I did get goose bumps, and I have heard this song thousands of times by now on various setups be it home or car.

"The Maker" Dave Mathews and Tim Reynolds
This is from the live at Music City Hall. I LOVE THIS ALBUM! The sound/recording is spectacular. I love this song as well. The SPZs seem to love this kind of stuff. The detailed music with an emphasis on the artists voices as well as the insanely noticable strums of the guitar. Some parts are actually scary realistic.

"Tears In Heaven" Eric Clapton
I had to do this for a few reasons as well. #1 is because it has so much meaning to the man. Going what he had to go through with the loss of his son and then putting into a song for the world to share is really an incredible venture in my opinion. To me some songs have nothing to do with listening. They have everything to do with feeling! This song is nothing but pure emotion and in the right "listening" conditions that is all you should get out of it. It shouldnt be about noticable recordings etc... To me this also means the components of the system have to be pure and true. Dont add a damn thing! Well, with the GT amps and SPZ60s all I got out of it was pure emotion. The other great thing about this song (from a critical listening point of view) is that there is a tendancy in a less then great setup for the vocals to fade away or blend in with the guitar and everything else going on in the song. That didnt happen here or with anything else I have played with this set YET! I will also not that the triangle in the background was extremely pronounced and clear. I cant say that it always has been on every setup I have owned

"Billie Jean" Michael Jackson
I do this song on any sub or midbass. If you dont know why, then go listen
Its a hell'a work out for both! It has intense attack and snap, if your shit aint up to snuff its gonna rain hell real quick and in a hurry! If you have great midbass's and subs and they have been tuned to blend well, your gonna be a happy ass camper! This was just a great experience! I have had some great subs and some great midbass. This was a great combo of each. They blend extremely well together (have not put in the g5 yet) and there was not distinction of the two different drivers (mids/subs). It was very loud, very snappy and articulate, and full sounding. It wasnt just midbass or sub, it was clearly a combo and neither one showed each other up. The vocals and electric instruments were great as well. As everything else....it was all very well defined and equal. It was fun to back to the 80's for a few minutes....

"Crazy Love" Van Morrison and Ray Charles
I really like this song (both the original and this version). I think its a great mix of two iconic artists. Ray's piano ability's are a nice additional highlight to this song aside from his dry and distinct voice. His voice sounds like his life. You can hear every hardship of his early life in every word he sings. The piano is very detailed to the point that you can hear just about every key struck. Stage is great! Piano is very stationed and so are the two different people singing. The intro is great! In the first few seconds you get a very faint dialog between Van and Ray, you get key strikes of the piano, and the sound of rays lips parting to speak the first line of the song! VERY COOL!

"All I Ever Needed" Bret Michaels
Ok, this is my last boring song description....I promise!
This is a very raw but very clean acoustic performance from Bret. I really like the song and the guy that is singing it. I am not going to sit here and say that he is the most talented artist ever to lay down a track but I will say this (I do find him very talented though) NO ONE LOVES MUSIC MORE! This song shows just how passionate and emotional Bret is about his music. Just like all of the above, the stage was very clear and present. The vocals were crystal clear and every strum of the guitar was clearly acknowledgable! There are some parts where you can here his foot tapping the floor ever so slightly. Once again, it was a truly enjoyable listening experience because it sounded true to the song. Nothing added, nothing taken!

I find this set to be naturally very flat, as detailed or more then any two way or three way set I have ever listened to. I now know why they never made a 3 way set.....They didnt need to!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Imaging is naturally amazing! I did nothing to them (yet) and they are about as close to perfect as your gonna get in a simple off axis setup out of the box! There is ZERO chance of listening fatigue at any level with this set, they are actually mildly addicting! I could not be more pleased with any of my recent Boston purchases, but this set on its own is Freaking amazing at full retail or shitbay prices!
I will say there is a fault to this set, and could be a deal breaker for a lot of people.
I have found so far that crappy recordings (or media formats period) sound extra crappy! I know....its kind of a Duh! statement but be warned! If you listen to crap...your gonna be really pissed if you get these. I found that shady recordings; underground, certain techno, punk, death metal, etc... tend to be a giant jumble of "stuff" via there particular chosen recording processes. This is not a shot at those genres in any way shape or form. Its just the way some of the music is processed for a certain effect is passable on most systems....The SPZ60s will be WAY to revealing for that stuff! I typically dont listen to that stuff so for me they are a HUGE A+++++++

Come on guys.....there had to be at least some sort of negative to them
Old 03-01-2011   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
Stupid question but do you have a woofer tester? I'm interested in seeing specs for the SPZ mid.

Kelvin
Sorry Kelvin.....No go I really dont get into the tech side of things... For several reasons. One I am not educated enough to really dip my head into it for actual testing and #2 I am just dont care about the numbers (for the most part) because I have seen a lot of bad "tests" that still somehow yield excellent user results. Again, a large portion of that is mere education and understanding how to evaluate a certain # to a certain application.
I guess in short we will just chaulk it up to ignorance on my part
I just want to listen to my music!
Old 03-01-2011   #18

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
dtm autowerks
Position:
owner

hmm ive never heard a ba set that i liked the tweets on ...they allways seemed very bright and out of control and the opposite of blending well with the midbass.

and ive heard them in several cars and installs ...i want to hear your truck ,change my mind

Old 03-01-2011   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 89 Midwestrider will become famous soon enoughMidwestrider will become famous soon enoughMidwestrider will become famous soon enoughMidwestrider will become famous soon enoughMidwestrider will become famous soon enoughMidwestrider will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Midwestrider

Nice man! Now get your subs in and enjoy!!!
Midwestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 83 hugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enoughhugo23 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review man, I used to have an old Z6 and it was very good, and as you said it is very easy to install, I had it mounted in a coaxial arrangement with the passives and the sound was very very good, great midbass, even better than my new 165KRX3 from Focal

I hope one day I have the chance to try the SPZ's

Saludos!

MS-8... Focal Utopia Be drivers... JL Audio 13TW5-3... JL Audio HD900/5... JL Audio Interconnects... Kicker power cable
hugo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo23 View Post
Thanks for the review man, I used to have an old Z6 and it was very good, and as you said it is very easy to install, I had it mounted in a coaxial arrangement with the passives and the sound was very very good, great midbass, even better than my new 165KRX3 from Focal

Saludos!
Thanks! That krx3 set is a BEAST! Excellent choice!
I had the z6s a while back and thought they were very good components. I think the SPZ's have satisfied a lot of what the older Z's were lacking (IMO of course).
Old 03-04-2011   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestrider View Post
Nice man! Now get your subs in and enjoy!!!
Working on the single ten ported box now
Old 03-04-2011   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 244 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo23 View Post

Saludos!
It's because you don't have the old K3P midbass like me lol
Sound on the new one is fuller but the old one is 3dB more powerfull around 90Hz-100Hz (got infos from a German Magazine

The SPZ is indeed a monster, if I remember correctly, it's FS is 34Hz.

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another
subwoofery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 90 strakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura about

I really wish I had active processing available when I had my SPZ's.

I too was surprised how much I liked their tweeters after reading about Boston's metal domes. They weren't harsh and bright like I thought they would be. The mids were indeed great as well. I've never gotten snare drum snap as good with any set of speakers as the Boston's did with no effort at all. I just wish I could have had more HPF options for the woofers. I don't think the passive crossovers they come with do, and back when I had them, my only option was no HPF or 80Hz 24dB/oct on the head unit. I felt like having them at 80 was wasting some of their low end potential with their super high xmax. But I'd run into mechanical noise at high volume with no HPF turned not, which isn't really surprising. I think they would have rocked at 63Hz with a moderate slope, or maybe even 50 with a steep slope.

Either way, they were great sounding, and super lightweight.

Where did you mount your crossovers? Those things were massive.

2012 MECA Modified World Champion
Alpine, Mosconi, Arc Audio, Clarion, Melodic Acoustic, Dynaudio, Acoustic Elegance
Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart SQ Build Log <-- New updates 7/26/14
Alpine, Pioneer, Image Dynamics, B&C, JBL
Chevy S-10 Pro Audio Build Log <-- Mine as of 8/23/14
strakele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

I actually am not using the passives but I would have plenty of room either under the front or back seats, center console, or on the back wall behind my back seats with the amps and processor. Every demo car I listened to with the bostons had the passives in line and they were great. (also very very very simple setups) I wouldnt think twice about using them if I didnt already have everything wired for two way active. It would have been more work to go the passives at this point. I might bi amp the passives here soon just to see what the results are. I will probably sell my DCX-730 to help fund one of the newer processors coming out (alpine/rockford) if it works out ok with the passives.