LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 Anadrol will become famous soon enoughAnadrol will become famous soon enoughAnadrol will become famous soon enoughAnadrol will become famous soon enoughAnadrol will become famous soon enoughAnadrol will become famous soon enough

Default Help with Viper 5902 Alarm System

Just had this thing installed, and it all appeared to be working fine before I left the shop, but I got home and realized this problem...

This is on an old truck. Well, the truck obviously has no trunk. The installer figured he would rig it so that the alarm system would treat the Hood as a trunk, because the hood on this old '78 Chevy can be popped open by anyone on the outside of the trunk, with no internal release pull or anything.

So the hood is treated as the trunk as far as the alarm is concerned. Well, for some reason, the alarm thinks that the trunk (hood) is always open. When I remote start the truck, it's paging the Key FOB and telling it that the trunk is open, so the alarm goes off and the truck shuts off.

There is a little button, similar to a button on a fridge door, and whenever the hood is closed, it pushes that button DOWN, so that the alarm will think the hood is closed. I have tried holding down the button with my thumb (thinking that maybe that button just wasn't getting pressed down the whole way), but it still trips the alarm and says "Trunk Trigger" when I remote start.

Anyone with knowledge of these systems, please advise.
Anadrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #2

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Audio Electronics
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 72 audio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Help with Viper 5902 Alarm System

It may have a mercury switch on the hood that is not adjusted properly.

Country music sucks.
audio+civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 Anadrol will become famous soon enoughAnadrol will become famous soon enoughAnadrol will become famous soon enoughAnadrol will become famous soon enoughAnadrol will become famous soon enoughAnadrol will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio+civic View Post
It may have a mercury switch on the hood that is not adjusted properly.
Can you explain that further?
Where do I find it, and how do I adjust it?

Why wouldn't the alarm be constantly triggered? If it always thinks the trunk trigger is being tripped, then you'd think it would always be wanting to sound the alarm.

It seems like the remote start function CAUSES the system to think the trunk trigger has been tripped.

Last edited by Anadrol; 12-12-2009 at 08:03 PM..
Old 12-13-2009   #4

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
A large corporation
Position:
Custom Fabrication/Install

Rep Power: 77 GregU will become famous soon enoughGregU will become famous soon enoughGregU will become famous soon enoughGregU will become famous soon enoughGregU will become famous soon enoughGregU will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadrol View Post
Can you explain that further?
Where do I find it, and how do I adjust it?

Why wouldn't the alarm be constantly triggered? If it always thinks the trunk trigger is being tripped, then you'd think it would always be wanting to sound the alarm.

It seems like the remote start function CAUSES the system to think the trunk trigger has been tripped.
It's hard to say exactly what the problem could be without diggin' into things. The pin switch sends a ground to the brain when it is all the way up, if your pusing down on it and it still does the same thing then the Wire could be grounded out somewhere. You can try cutting the Wire that connects to the pin switch and see what happends. Otherwise, it needs to go back to the installer.

When you arm your system, does it say the trunk/hood is open? Or is it only when you try to remote start?

Alpine 9887 - Image Dyanmics CX64v2(mids) - Seas Neo TAFNC/G(tweets) - Image Dynamics IDMAX 10 - Rainbow iPaul 4.300(mids/tweets) & JL 500/1v2(subwoofer) DSP - 3Sixty.2
GregU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Do work
Position:
M.E.C.P certified

Rep Power: 77 tinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to tinctorus

Try seeing if the female connector on the pin switch is grounding out when it is pressed al the way down

The pin switched work off a ground signal so it should be fairly easy to figure out as if it isn't the pin switch it could just be something simple as the insulation on the Wire got cut at some point.

Also if you dont mind me asking where was it installed as you should just be able to take it back to the shop you had it installed at and have them look at it for no charge

Also try this...when you arm your Car pressing the lock button more than once will start to bypass trigger zones so what i want you to try is look at you owners manual and see how may times you have to press the lock button in order to bypass the trunk input
arm the alarm with the trunk input bypassed and try remote starting the truck and see if you still have the same issue
tinctorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #6

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregU View Post
It's hard to say exactly what the problem could be without diggin' into things. The pin switch sends a ground to the brain when it is all the way up, if your pusing down on it and it still does the same thing then the Wire could be grounded out somewhere. You can try cutting the Wire that connects to the pin switch and see what happends. Otherwise, it needs to go back to the installer.

When you arm your system, does it say the trunk/hood is open? Or is it only when you try to remote start?
It always says Trunk Trigger. Whenever I arm the system or remote start it. I assume at this point that I'm not going to figure this out, and we're not far away from Monday morning (when the install shop opens).
Old 12-13-2009   #7

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
A large corporation
Position:
Custom Fabrication/Install

Rep Power: 77 GregU will become famous soon enoughGregU will become famous soon enoughGregU will become famous soon enoughGregU will become famous soon enoughGregU will become famous soon enoughGregU will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadrol View Post
It always says Trunk Trigger. Whenever I arm the system or remote start it. I assume at this point that I'm not going to figure this out, and we're not far away from Monday morning (when the install shop opens).

Then either -

1. The pinswitch is bad.
2. The Wire is grounded out.

Most likley.

But you could always try to cut that Wire and see if it will RS after that. But, that may void your installation warranty.

Alpine 9887 - Image Dyanmics CX64v2(mids) - Seas Neo TAFNC/G(tweets) - Image Dynamics IDMAX 10 - Rainbow iPaul 4.300(mids/tweets) & JL 500/1v2(subwoofer) DSP - 3Sixty.2
GregU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #8

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Audio Electronics
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 72 audio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enough

I think this is why all installers like mercury or magnetic swithes better.

Country music sucks.
audio+civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Do work
Position:
M.E.C.P certified

Rep Power: 77 tinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to tinctorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio+civic View Post
I think this is why all installers like mercury or magnetic swithes better.
They are ok in certain situations but I don't like using them under the hood as they tend to rust fairly quickly and then you open up the hood one day the central pin shoots you in the eye

OH and country music doesn't suck it's just not for everyone... lol
tinctorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #10

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
mobile sound systems
Position:
install manager

Rep Power: 53 masternstallr will become famous soon enoughmasternstallr will become famous soon enoughmasternstallr will become famous soon enoughmasternstallr will become famous soon enoughmasternstallr will become famous soon enoughmasternstallr will become famous soon enough

also if you added a back up batt he may have used the trigger output to the trunk. a 590.2 has a dedicated hood pin that should be used for the hood for safety porpuses
masternstallr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #11

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
mobile sound systems
Position:
install manager

Rep Power: 53 masternstallr will become famous soon enoughmasternstallr will become famous soon enoughmasternstallr will become famous soon enoughmasternstallr will become famous soon enoughmasternstallr will become famous soon enoughmasternstallr will become famous soon enough

if he used a back up batt your "old truck" could be dropping voltage enuf to trigger the trigger of the batt system
masternstallr is offline   Reply With Quote