LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 75 ZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enough

Default Brake pads: AutoZone vs NAPA vs Advance Auto parts

Any thoughts on which ones are better? I am looking for good all around ceramic pads.

So far I have gathered that AutoZone's Duralast Gold cmax, NAPA premium ceramic, and Wagner Thermoquiet pads all have pretty good reviews. I will also be buying matching rotors from the same vendor.
ZAKOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 102 94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to 94VG30DE

Default Re: Brake pads: AutoZone vs NAPA vs Advance Auto parts

What's the vehicle; how do you drive it?

Popular choices are:
1. sports car; like you stole it
2. truck; like you stole it
3. minivan; like you stole it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit_ View Post
Well, if there's anything we've got extra of in New Zealand, it's sheep...
94VG30DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 35 sjr033 will become famous soon enoughsjr033 will become famous soon enoughsjr033 will become famous soon enoughsjr033 will become famous soon enoughsjr033 will become famous soon enoughsjr033 will become famous soon enough

I just did Napa Adaptive-One pads and Napa Premium Rotors on my truck about 6 months ago. I have been very happy with them so far. No noise, very little dust and good stopping power.
sjr033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 124 BuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to all

I use the Cmax Gold on just about every "favor" I do for people with regular cars and on the rear of my TL.

They've been silent on every car, little dusting, as good or better than stock fade resistance, normal cold bite, generally gentle on rotors, etc, etc.

The one bad thing that's ever happened with them was on the GF's Murano. I replaced her stock pads because they squeaked in reverse. Her idea, not mine. Stock pads were fine, vehicle had around 20,000 miles. So the Cmax pads stopped the squeaking in reverse but now, nearly 20,000 miles later, the rotors don't look so good. I'm not talking about the normal transfer layer that has to be there, I'm talking about grooved as in the pads are too hard for these rotors. Pads have plenty life. I've shot brake temps and nothing is sticking and overheating, these pads just don't work well with the Nissan rotors.

Oh, and while I'm here, a little rant in case anyone ever thought about a Rotora product. I bought a Rotora 13" big brake kit for the TL since back then I occasionally took it to the track and the stock brakes were fading quickly, within the first lap. 2 years later, I have a cracked rotor. Not happy about it but whatever, it happens with drilled rotors. I go to order a pair of new rotors and I'm told the narrower 1pc rotors have been discontinued. I told them to give me the more expensive 2pc rotors but they're too thick to work with my calipers. So they offered to "help" me by giving me the 2pc rotors and appropriate calipers for "only" $995. The best thing is I have to send my old brake system to them before they will send the new kit out. So my daily driver would have to be down for a couple weeks. I'm ordering a new superior Stoptech kit tomorrow. It sucks to have to order two $2,000 big brake kits in 2 years but at least now I'll never have to deal with Rotora again.

I thought I would post this because they do sell stock replacement pads and rotors. Not a good company to do business with.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'14 Trance SX with SRAM XX1 1x11 Drivetrain.
'06 TL.
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 70 itsmyturn will become famous soon enoughitsmyturn will become famous soon enoughitsmyturn will become famous soon enoughitsmyturn will become famous soon enoughitsmyturn will become famous soon enoughitsmyturn will become famous soon enough

Factory is best.
itsmyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 124 BuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to allBuickGN is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyturn View Post
Factory is best.
Suuuuure lol. And who makes the factory pads..... Define best........

Factory pads are going to be the least likely to make noise and they're going to be nice to the rotors. Basically the least likely to have customer complains and warranty concerns. Other than that you can usually match or surpass factory pad performance with a set of $30 pads at your local auto parts store. This is of course assuming a "normal" car, not an exotic carbon/carbon brake setup lol.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'06 TL.
Old 02-12-2012   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 70 itsmyturn will become famous soon enoughitsmyturn will become famous soon enoughitsmyturn will become famous soon enoughitsmyturn will become famous soon enoughitsmyturn will become famous soon enoughitsmyturn will become famous soon enough

I just don't care for anything Autozone. I work with factory parts all day long and have a lot of aftermarket stuff also. Will use them in a bind but prefer not to.
itsmyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 88 rc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enough

Use ceramic if you want the least dust, but youll also have less stopping power and more wear on the rotors.

Other standard pads will work just fine.

You say at 70mph you cant hear a difference? Does this mean at 35 you can?
rc10mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 97 Thumper88 will become famous soon enoughThumper88 will become famous soon enoughThumper88 will become famous soon enoughThumper88 will become famous soon enoughThumper88 will become famous soon enoughThumper88 will become famous soon enough

Have had NAPA adaptive one brakes pads and NAPA premium rotors for at least a few years now...no issues, great pads and rotors.

Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT | AudioControl DQXS | Alpine PDX4.150 | CDT ES-02 | CDT ES-06 | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Image Dynamics IDQ10D4v3
Thumper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 164 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

richard clarke sais all pads are the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Ceramics can cover a wide range of applications from little to no dust to very dusty and very easy on the rotors to wearing the rotors as quick as the pads. Many "ceramics" have some ceramic content but are not just ceramic.

I run a race ceramic up front. Dust is average, stopping power when cold is very good, even better when hot. The tradeoff is they squeak when cold and don't get hot enough put down the transfer layer with normal stops which when it's gone leads to very squeaky brakes. I believe they work up to 1,300F and I was fading the standard pads that work to 900F

Generally, ceramics are easier on rotors than semi-metallics and especially metallics. Ceramics will be quieter and dust less but of course, there are always exceptions. For a daily driver or a daily driver that goes to the track occasionally and you don't want to swap pads, I don't think I would run anything else. For a race car, there are much better options.

Lastly, I have to mention that stopping power comes from the tires, not the brakes.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'06 TL.
Old 02-13-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 883 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ndown View Post
LOL, Winning

I went factory, price was similar, the old ones lasted 100K miles, so screw it.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #13

Administrator

12V Company:
BMI Inspections
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 5000 PPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr033 View Post
I just did Napa Adaptive-One pads and Napa Premium Rotors on my truck about 6 months ago. I have been very happy with them so far. No noise, very little dust and good stopping power.
This is the very best pad I have ever used.
No dust.
No break-in.
No unbalanced wear.
No fade.
No noise.
No rotor warping.
Great pad life.

I use them on ebc slotted and cross drilled rotors.

Solved all my brake problems that I have been fighting for years living in the mountains.

Buy these.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

Listen for the LOVE of it to the Art of it for the SOUL in it and the FUN of it...Because you know when it's right. ----Carolyn Hall Young

TEAM GRIZZ
PPI-ART COLLECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #14
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 244 JAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ndown View Post

good one Luke. lol

I think a lot of these are all made at same plant and labeled different. Much like a Zeff amp.

I dont know what is on my car right now but I think they are made of 100% charcoal cause my wheels get dusty at a standstill with nobody in car. 1st thing I need to change is them dang pads.

The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.
JAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #15

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 189 thehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to all

Factory Toyota/Lexus brake pads are really great pads for anything less than track driving.

OEMed by Akibono...which make really good pads.
thehatedguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
Factory Toyota/Lexus brake pads are really great pads for anything less than track driving.

OEMed by Akibono...which make really good pads.
They do Honda as well. My factory brakes were ceramic as are most factory brakes. They did not do well at the track though. I never boiled the fluid but I faded the pads to the point I couldn't come to a complete stop without putting the car in neutral. Just the drag from the engine being in gear would move the car. I got pad deposits on the rotors making them feel like they were warped. I considered going with a more aggressive pad at first but went with the 13" brakes (vs 11.8") so hopefully I wouldn't have to run a real aggressive pad. The factory optional 12.2" Brembos on the TL do much better under racing conditions but they run a much more aggressive pad as well. While it's completely normal for the smaller brakes to go 150,000 miles, the Brembos wear out regularly at 20,000 miles.

With brakes, everything is a tradeoff. You can't get the best of everything all in one pad.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'06 TL.
Old 02-13-2012   #17

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 189 thehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to all

No, if I was tracking I would be putting Hawk or something like that on the car.
Old 02-13-2012   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 883 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, if I was tracking I would be putting Hawk or something like that on the car.
the poster above you assumes everyone drag races to and from work.
Old 02-13-2012   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Hawk makes some good stuff but I'm not too impressed with their street stuff. My whole reasoning for the BBK was to be able to not swap pads between the street and track. That idea failed miserably as I realized 13" brakes really aren't that big for a 3,700lb car with 70% of the static weight on the front axle. Fortunately now I can get away with spirited street driving even in the mountains with regular pads and I no longer track it.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'06 TL.
Old 02-13-2012   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
the poster above you assumes everyone drag races to and from work.
Don't they? Lol. I'm making 135+mph stops on the stock 10.8" GN brakes at the strip. One stop they're fine but they would never do two stops back to back. I'm talking about Willow Springs in the other car or even spirited street driving. For street driving and one stop stops, you don't need anything special but it's nice to know you can go up in the mountains and not have to worry about fade.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'06 TL.
Old 02-13-2012   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

I live my life 1/4 mile at a time, for those 16 seconds or more, I'm free.
Old 02-13-2012   #22

Diyma Ninja

Luckily my IS300 has good brakes from the factory, you would really have to be doing some serious racing to need a BBK for anything other than looks for this particular car.

It does need a little suspension help in the form of a bigger rear sway since these cars like to push into corners...and a little more grunt from the NA 2JZ would be nice, but that motor is crap for NA stuff.
Old 02-13-2012   #23

Administrator

12V Company:
BMI Inspections
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 5000 PPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
With brakes, everything is a tradeoff. You can't get the best of everything all in one pad.
I put off buying the NAPA Adaptive-One pads for a very long time because they were from NAPA so how good can they be, right?
It's all I use now.
The only trade off I found was they're expensive.
But, you get what you pay for.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

Listen for the LOVE of it to the Art of it for the SOUL in it and the FUN of it...Because you know when it's right. ----Carolyn Hall Young

TEAM GRIZZ
PPI-ART COLLECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Ground Zero USA

Rep Power: 219 Scott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond repute

I have been using Hawk HPS for awhile now, seem good, better bite than the OEM Nissan pads I always used. Dust is alittle lower. Alittle noisy on the first stop of the day, I guess they just need to heat up alittle, then they are quite. Not real sure how they are on rotors. Maybe I will try some others next time. I do have slotted and drilled rotors, I always go to those once the stocks are gone.
Scott@GZUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

a boombox is not a toy

12V Company:
Malibu's Auto Center
Position:
Janitor/Install Manager

Rep Power: 84 jowens500 will become famous soon enoughjowens500 will become famous soon enoughjowens500 will become famous soon enoughjowens500 will become famous soon enoughjowens500 will become famous soon enoughjowens500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPI-ART COLLECTOR View Post
I put off buying the NAPA Adaptive-One pads for a very long time because they were from NAPA so how good can they be, right?
It's all I use now.
The only trade off I found was they're expensive.
But, you get what you pay for.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR
One of my buddy's worked at napa and still gets hookup's there. I bought the same pads for the Accord. Only thing I don't like is they seem to create a little more brake dust than the OEM's did.

2009 USACi Basic Consumer World Champion (Installer)
2009 USACi mod2000-4000 4th place (Installer)
2009 USACi SB3 3rd place (Installer)
jowens500 is offline   Reply With Quote