LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 110 MadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to MadMaxSE-L

Default I may have blown my ear drum shooting guns...

I haven't pulled the guns out in a while, so Saturday I decided to go out to my brother's house and play around a little. I took 2 of our 12ga.'s, my dad's 9mm S&W, a .357 Mag and a .44 Mag. Naturally, the one I shot first was the .44...

I had hearing protection and had every intention of using it, but for the first 6 shots from the .44, I had nothing. From the first shot, my haring was gone in my left ear, and bad in my right, but I just finished the other 5 and then put the ear plugs in...

Needless to say, the rest of the day Saturday I couldn't hear anything at all hardly, but I wasn't surprised. Sunday when I woke up, i was slightly better but still very muffled out of my left ear, and there was a ringing sound. Yesterday, sounds were still muffled in the left, but better; and today I still cannot hear very well out of my left ear, but my right seems ok. My left ear is still ringing a little, and when I listen to my Car stereo, it sounds funky, like I am listening to my sub only...

Anyone else had anythign similar happen? I am hoping that isnce it does seem to get a little better each day that hopefully in a week or so it will be better.

No room for audio on my Gixxer
MadMaxSE-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #2

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 162 bassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: I may have blown my ear drum shooting guns...

Use tasers next time.

Textured Bass Mafia............
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 107 dogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enough

Ears are pretty resiliant.

Heh, ear protection... Seems funny, but I only wear ear protection at indoor ranges, outdoors I have never experienced anything like what happened to you, no matter what I shot.
A couple years ago I did manage to mess up my wrist shooting .50ae handloads
dogstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #4

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 220 Phreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond repute

the ad is a crack up. Who would have ever thought they would see an ad for front sight on diyma?

btw, i wear protection everytime I shoot... a gun...
there are a lot of people who need to protect everything they shoot. lol

seriously though, my dad lost some hearing while in the military due to overexposure. I value my hearing too much. He can't hear certain frequencies to this day and he has been out for over 20 years
Phreaxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 110 MadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfromspace View Post
Use tasers next time.
Not near as much fun unless you actually get to hit someone with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar View Post
Ears are pretty resiliant.

Heh, ear protection... Seems funny, but I only wear ear protection at indoor ranges, outdoors I have never experienced anything like what happened to you, no matter what I shot.
A couple years ago I did manage to mess up my wrist shooting .50ae handloads
That's what I thought as well. How many people shoot guns all the time outdoors w/ no hearing protection and don't experience any ill effects (we will exclude problems down the road...). I just don't want to have to hear like this forever now - I think I would have to crank up all the frequencies from ~2500hz and up. I am going to run out of amp Power and my system will sound pretty bad to everyone else...

Old 12-04-2007   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 90 Kahooli will become famous soon enoughKahooli will become famous soon enoughKahooli will become famous soon enoughKahooli will become famous soon enoughKahooli will become famous soon enoughKahooli will become famous soon enough

hearing fatigue usually corrects itself (like after youre at a concert it takes a while to get things working again) unless theres permanent damage.
If you dont regain your full hearing in a day or two of resting your ears, then i Suggest a trip to the audiologist is in order

Buy my Sh1z: [URL="http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/car-audio-classifieds/151648-fs-vifa-ne225w-08-x2-high-end-woofer-sub-sq.html[/URL]
# Team Cheap Bastard SQ
Kahooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 257 Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond repute

Hearing loss is usually cumlitave(sp?) and happens to start the day we are born, possibly before if mom went to a bunch of KISS concerts...

Once you lose it you lose it.... this is why I find it funny how middle aged men will spend multi-thousands on super high end home audio, even though much of what they have done has damaged there hearing to the point that the ends don't justify the means.... (super high end audio rant off)

Quote:
The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections. - Narrator: Idiocracy
Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 89 Wayne-o will become famous soon enoughWayne-o will become famous soon enoughWayne-o will become famous soon enoughWayne-o will become famous soon enoughWayne-o will become famous soon enoughWayne-o will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxSE-L View Post
I haven't pulled the guns out in a while, so Saturday I decided to go out to my brother's house and play around a little. I took 2 of our 12ga.'s, my dad's 9mm S&W, a .357 Mag and a .44 Mag. Naturally, the one I shot first was the .44...

I had hearing protection and had every intention of using it, but for the first 6 shots from the .44, I had nothing. From the first shot, my haring was gone in my left ear, and bad in my right, but I just finished the other 5 and then put the ear plugs in...

Needless to say, the rest of the day Saturday I couldn't hear anything at all hardly, but I wasn't surprised. Sunday when I woke up, i was slightly better but still very muffled out of my left ear, and there was a ringing sound. Yesterday, sounds were still muffled in the left, but better; and today I still cannot hear very well out of my left ear, but my right seems ok. My left ear is still ringing a little, and when I listen to my Car stereo, it sounds funky, like I am listening to my sub only...

Anyone else had anythign similar happen? I am hoping that isnce it does seem to get a little better each day that hopefully in a week or so it will be better.

Not too seem harsh, and I don’t want you to take offense to this but...what did you expect? I shoot every week and I could never think about shooting without my ears on. And I use noise cancellations with plugs. Have you gone to the doc for a check? I'd hate to see you a loss from an enjoyable activity. I just picked up a new PX4 .40 Cal and I try to go through about a 1000 rounds a month but if I forget any of my gear for my ears I never shoot.

get to the ear doc asap.

mottos to live by: "Unos nacen con la estrella…otros nacen estrellados..." and "He Who Greets With Fire"
Wayne-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne-o View Post
Not too seem harsh, and I don’t want you to take offense to this but...what did you expect? I shoot every week and I could never think about shooting without my ears on. And I use noise cancellations with plugs. Have you gone to the doc for a check? I'd hate to see you a loss from an enjoyable activity. I just picked up a new PX4 .40 Cal and I try to go through about a 1000 rounds a month but if I forget any of my gear for my ears I never shoot.

get to the ear doc asap.
No offense taken; I know it was dumb on my part to fire w/o protection no ( see what I did there? ) I just got too over-zelous(sp?) and excited to shoot, I poped off 6 rounds from the .44 before I put my ears on...

I think I'm gonna make an appointment to see the ENT doc, but I don't think there is anythign they can do for hearing problems like this...

Old 12-04-2007   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 89 Wayne-o will become famous soon enoughWayne-o will become famous soon enoughWayne-o will become famous soon enoughWayne-o will become famous soon enoughWayne-o will become famous soon enoughWayne-o will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up Re: I may have blown my ear drum shooting guns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxSE-L View Post
No offense taken; I know it was dumb on my part to fire w/o protection no ( see what I did there? ) I just got too over-zelous(sp?) and excited to shoot, I poped off 6 rounds from the .44 before I put my ears on...

I think I'm gonna make an appointment to see the ENT doc, but I don't think there is anythign they can do for hearing problems like this...
Ohh i see the cover there bud...and i hear ya one it...HA...pun intended...KIDDING. I'd hate to have you lose your hearing...and I get the same way with my 'pistolas' when its shooting time. I just still slow down and take my time. my EX called me a sloth once because of the way I do things. lol shes now the EX and I am still doing things my way. so go get yer ass to the doc, you never know what they can do for ya.

mottos to live by: "Unos nacen con la estrella…otros nacen estrellados..." and "He Who Greets With Fire"
Wayne-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

CRIPPLED HILLBILLY

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 195 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

i wear it when i shoot. now for just a few fun shots with the .22, that's a different story

11 Ram Quadcab HEMI...Stock Headunit...(2)Mini dsp 2x4...Mosconi One 120.4...Alpine pdx5...Scanspeak Discovery 2" and 7"...Pioneer TS-W310S4 12" sealed
Hillbilly SQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 96 calponte will become famous soon enoughcalponte will become famous soon enoughcalponte will become famous soon enoughcalponte will become famous soon enoughcalponte will become famous soon enoughcalponte will become famous soon enough

I brought my .45 up north and thought.."ahh..i'll just shoot it a couple times with no plugs". I tell ya what... i shot it once and about dropped the GD gun it was so fkn loud and painful LOL

W205/80Gig iPod/ BlackBird/H701/two PDX 4.150's/Tru SH-1/MLK-165/ADS 6.5's (rear fill)/DD 1008's (Midbass-Rear Deck)/DD 9917
calponte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by calponte View Post
I brought my .45 up north and thought.."ahh..i'll just shoot it a couple times with no plugs". I tell ya what... i shot it once and about dropped the GD gun it was so fkn loud and painful LOL
That's the thing, it wasn't really painful, my hearing jsut sort of went out as soon as I made the first shot.

How long after this did it take your hearing to come back, if it went out at all? It also looks like you're into drag racing = LOUD! I know I have subjected my self to what seems like alot louder noises when I am around big racing motors - like under a truck w/ a 16.5:1 605 cu in big block trying to get the tie-downs un-hooked. My ears still never seemed to suffer. I guess that's why this whole thign has me worried...

Old 12-04-2007   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 96 calponte will become famous soon enoughcalponte will become famous soon enoughcalponte will become famous soon enoughcalponte will become famous soon enoughcalponte will become famous soon enoughcalponte will become famous soon enough

Im into LOUD everything. My hearing did go out (50%) and had a painful ring for 24hrs..but was pretty much back after that. But I only shot once before i realized i didnt want to subject myself to that no more

No other noises bother me at all.. and i have a loud Car and a very loud stereo (imo)

W205/80Gig iPod/ BlackBird/H701/two PDX 4.150's/Tru SH-1/MLK-165/ADS 6.5's (rear fill)/DD 1008's (Midbass-Rear Deck)/DD 9917
calponte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #15

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 107 CBRworm will become famous soon enoughCBRworm will become famous soon enoughCBRworm will become famous soon enoughCBRworm will become famous soon enoughCBRworm will become famous soon enoughCBRworm will become famous soon enough

That's something that always cracks me up in movies. They will unload 50 rounds in a concrete tunnel and then carry on a conversation.

A couple shots from any high Power hand gun will leave your ears ringing. Larger bores will leave you pretty much deaf for a while. I would like to be able to recreate that in my car. . . . with my stereo.

I am sure your hearing will come back unless you were holding the gun next to your head. I think it is safe to say that all of us have been there and done that - then learned to use eye and ear protection.

'06 G35 6MT W200/H701/iPod
Seas RW165/1, DLS IR1 & JL12W6V2
Helix HXA 400, 500Q, 1000QX
CBRworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 124 dBassHz will become famous soon enoughdBassHz will become famous soon enoughdBassHz will become famous soon enoughdBassHz will become famous soon enoughdBassHz will become famous soon enoughdBassHz will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to dBassHz

Something similar happened to toolfan (Ben)

OEM 2006 Avalon HU ~ OEM Amplifiers ~ Sundown.SAE1000D
Pioneer.C720PRS ~ AA.Ava.12
dBassHz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 161 89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice

As some here know, I have an ass load of guns, but I haven't shot without ear protection in probably 15 years or more...because my hearing is important to me.

I have done it before, when I was young and dumb, but never again.

Wear ear protection at all cost. Put dirt in your ears if you don't have access to proper protection.
89grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarmipi View Post
Something similar happened to toolfan (Ben)
Maybe he'll chime in...

I guess I'll make a doctors appointment and hopefully by the time of the appointment, my hearing will be ok.

Old 12-05-2007   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Hearing damage is not reversible, you actually damage your hearing mechanism.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote