I deeply regret spending so much money on my car - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2017   #26
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner/ Engineer/Sales/Support

Rep Power: 150 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: I deeply regret spending so much money on my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordEscape View Post
I'm content to make payments on my daily driver reasonably loaded Escape SE @ 0 down/0%/60 month Ford Financing bought new in 11/2013.

Still have the high-miles F150 5.4 trailer-towing-cargo-hauling XLT bought new in 2005 @ 0/0.9%/60 months - didn't mind those payments while they lasted either.

I take care of 'em and keep cars a long time (that's key) - I'll continue to gladly use free/near free new-car manufacturer money which seems has been available sometime during each year for decades. Seems that's less a function of economy/prime rates - more a function of the incredibly competitive car market (but yeah, things could change).

With my maintenance and care the vehicles stay nice and I think the life-cycle cost works out OK - there's lots of years with no payments between purchases. I don't spend for over-the-top PM ... follow OEM intervals, use OEM filters, Mobil 1 from Walmart, tier 1 gas, OEM-type aftermarket wear-items; I don't use trick additives and don't buy 'super fluids' like Amsoil / Royal Purple, etc ... knock on wood, I've never had a big-ticket component failure.

And no, I don't think I'd find any offsetting enjoyment in driving a beater - for me the enjoyment difference between a beater and a very nice older model I've maintained is significant.

YMMV
I'd rather negotiate price to the bottom than take 60 month financing at sticker price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

It seems like most people don't care to actually understand reality.
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2017   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 144 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

^^^Financing is provided by the manufacturer and usually a reduction in price is given by the dealer (unless it is a rebate). Most financing deals are 0% or $x thousand off, plus whatever the dealer will give. You are correct, paying cash is the best way to take advantage of all price reductions. To me 0% financing isn't as attractive when rates for cars are around 1.9% at banks. When they are at 6-7% and you don't have cash, the 0% looks pretty damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017   #28

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 45 FordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
I'd rather negotiate price to the bottom than take 60 month financing at sticker price.
Absolutely - that's why one always negotiates the best cash-sale-bottom-line-drive-out price totally independent of method of financing, using every negotiating tool / dealer cost / holdback, etc data available to the diligent and frugal consumer.

In the case of the Escape that involved me knowing the dealer inventory from online research, calling ahead to confirm a specific VIN I wanted was on-hand available, taking a test drive inspection to confirm condition, presenting a carefully pre-calculated drive-out number on a piece of paper with the simple statement that I'm ready to buy today at that price. I calmly drank their coffee and looked at hot mustangs on display while the salesman made three counteroffers after 'consultation with the sales manager' with me refusing the first two and thanking them for their time and walking to the door on the third. The salesman caught me in the parking lot to agree to my initial offer. I don't play games trying to circumvent each person's role, it's not a stressful process, it's fairly quick, it's predicated on the knowledge that my offer is fair if tough and that cars are a commodity that can be shopped again at a different dealer or time.

Entering the 'closers' office with an agreed price based on that I've never had one try to renig on that number when I then enquired about eligibility for Manufacturer-underwritten financing and related further consumer discount incentives, knowing that my credit rating will qualify. Just keep smiling and saying "no thanks" to all the other stuff they hawk at that step - drive-out in reasonably short time, come back after hours to pick up my arriving transportation - I never complicate things with a trade-in, always sell those independently.

Lord knows I've never paid anything close to sticker/MSRP on any new vehicle.

2014 Ford Escape ~ OEM SYNC Non-Sony 8" Touchscreen HU
DSP & Amps by JBL MS series ~ Midrange & Tweeters by HAT Legatia ~ Midbass & Subs by SI TM/BM

Last edited by FordEscape; 01-07-2017 at 10:03 PM..
FordEscape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017   #29
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:

Rep Power: 150 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Absolutely - that's why one always negotiates the best cash-sale-bottom-line-drive-out price totally independent of method of financing, using every negotiating tool / dealer cost / holdback, etc data available to the diligent and frugal consumer.

In the case of the Escape that involved me knowing the dealer inventory from online research, calling ahead to confirm a specific VIN I wanted was on-hand available, taking a test drive inspection to confirm condition, presenting a carefully pre-calculated drive-out number on a piece of paper with the simple statement that I'm ready to buy today at that price. I calmly drank their coffee and looked at hot mustangs on display while the salesman made three counteroffers after 'consultation with the sales manager' with me refusing the first two and thanking them for their time and walking to the door on the third. The salesman caught me in the parking lot to agree to my initial offer. I don't play games trying to circumvent each person's role, it's not a stressful process, it's fairly quick, it's predicated on the knowledge that my offer is fair if tough and that cars are a commodity that can be shopped again at a different dealer or time.

Entering the 'closers' office with an agreed price based on that I've never had one try to renig on that number when I then enquired about eligibility for Manufacturer-underwritten financing and related further consumer discount incentives, knowing that my credit rating will qualify. Just keep smiling and saying "no thanks" to all the other stuff they hawk at that step - drive-out in reasonably short time, come back after hours to pick up my arriving transportation - I never complicate things with a trade-in, always sell those independently.

Lord knows I've never paid anything close to sticker/MSRP on any new vehicle.
You deserved a pat on the back- no questions.
My credit score is 835 and I never use it. I don`t even have a mortgage anymore. If I don`t have a money I don`t buy shit.Makes my life much easier. I use credit cards for convenience and points but always pay it off on due day.
Somehow somewhere they always get you.
Old 01-08-2017   #30

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 71 street.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enough

As someone who sold cars for years, that ^ is how you do it.

I've never once been in a situation where the price we sold at would be lower as a cash price. You get the same price regardless. We really couldn't care either way as long as the units moved.

When the price is the same and you can stretch on 0% why not do it? 20k in high interest savings does you far better then 20k on a car in a shot.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

SQ confuzzles me
street.terror is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017   #31

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 45 FordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of lightFordEscape is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by street.terror View Post
When the price is the same and you can stretch on 0% why not do it? 20k in high interest savings does you far better then 20k on a car in a shot.
Exactly, I'll take every day of free-money float I can on every penny. If I can get a cash price better than the return on the 'float' I'll certainly take it (and I always ask), but the way CC companies stiff-arm retailers it's less and less common to see a cash discount (firearm vendors being one of the notable exception as a group, gas stations another, most other is hit-or-miss but it never hurts to ask).

I'll gladly take payment float and a cash kickback on CC purchases paid in full each month as long as Chase et al are silly enough to offer it. Every day I have a penny in hand it's working for me in some sort of interest-earning account.
Quote:
... I don`t even have a mortgage anymore. If I don`t have a money I don`t buy shit. Makes my life much easier. I use credit cards for convenience and points but always pay it off on due day.
Somehow somewhere they always get you.
Absolutely agreeing again - mortgage-free is the place to be. But unless in a totally whacked market time or place, I'd take a mortgage over zero-equity money sunk on rent at as young an age as possible - and attack that with an aggressively disciplined early payoff plan.

Agreeing further, buying anything other than that first house on interest-charged credit is a no-no. I use CC's paid off monthly as a way to keep my cash working - that float thing; the convenience and security is just a windfall.

I don't use points-cards, only a cash-back card. For me, come spending time, the points don't offer the competitive shopping/negotiating leverage that cash does. I apply my earned cash kickback to the CC payment every month - that's the quickest way to put it to work for me - I'm sure as heck not letting them use the float on my money one day more than I must.

I don't think "somehow somewhere they always get you" - ya just gotta take the bait they set as come-ons and not swallow the hook that they count on a majority of people taking with it. Work the system, eyes wide open, that's easy enough to do, their own rules provide for that. When they change from loosely-baited hooks to gill-nets, no worries, burn that card and swim away.

IMHO it all boils down to one simple rule - don't try to live beyond your means - that's the bottomless trap, equal to crack.

2014 Ford Escape ~ OEM SYNC Non-Sony 8" Touchscreen HU
DSP & Amps by JBL MS series ~ Midrange & Tweeters by HAT Legatia ~ Midbass & Subs by SI TM/BM
FordEscape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017   #32
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
^^^Financing is provided by the manufacturer and usually a reduction in price is given by the dealer (unless it is a rebate). Most financing deals are 0% or $x thousand off, plus whatever the dealer will give. You are correct, paying cash is the best way to take advantage of all price reductions. To me 0% financing isn't as attractive when rates for cars are around 1.9% at banks. When they are at 6-7% and you don't have cash, the 0% looks pretty damn good.
This.its either one or another,never both.
And only on certain models.

Old 01-08-2017   #33
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

your title and list completely contradict each other... your list has 14/17 "worth its"..

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017   #34

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 63 Mayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
your title and list completely contradict each other... your list has 14/17 "worth its"..
Yes but the cost of the car and insurance is not worth it. A lot of the mods and upgrades that I've done to the car, I could have easily lived without them.

If I bought that car today, I most likely would have still done what I did to the car, but just cut back - like Type R speakers would be Type S, the 2ch dashcam would be a 1ch, no backup cam, go with a Kenwood power pack instead of the 5ch amp.

For instance I just realized just how much I am paying for insurance on this car. I pay $165CDN a month just for insurance on my one car, $180 for both cars.

And this is the cheapest broker with the best rate. Ive called around and everyone else wanted $200 and over.

I used to pay $150 a month for the one car's insurance but I got nailed with two speeding tickets in the past year so it drove my rate up for a year. PISS ME OFF.
It pisses me off because I've always had low rates, a clean record and have never been in an accident at my fault, but the fact I am driving a Honda and it's a two door, "Oh gotta jack up those rates!"

$165 a month for insurance x 12 months = Almost $2000CDN a year just on insurance. THat is just nuts!!! Insurance brokers here in Canada are literally scams. They're fraudsters.

I mean hey if I really want to cut back on my rate and have more money on my pocket, I could take liability off my main car, (it sure would drop a ton from the $165 rate), but if I get into an accident I am screwed and have to pay out of my own pocket. But I guess it all depends on how much I am willing to rely on the luck of the draw.

But you see, all this money that we pay for liability insurance on our cars, for those of use who never get into an accident, we are pretty much just giving away our money to the insurance brokers. If you drive a car for 4 or 5 years, you pay the premium for a $500 or $1000 deductible and say you don't get into an accident once, look at all the money you are handing over to the insurance broker, for nothing! Easy money for them.

I miss my old car where it costed me $85 a month for insurance.

Last edited by Mayosandwich; 01-10-2017 at 09:03 PM..
Mayosandwich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017   #35

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 63 Mayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enough

Quote:
And no, I don't think I'd find any offsetting enjoyment in driving a beater - for me the enjoyment difference between a beater and a very nice older model I've maintained is significant.

YMMV
I keep my cars as long as possible, but for me there is no denying that there is something very enjoyable about driving a beater. Extremely low maintenance, don't have to worry about paint chips, door dings, getting keyed, curb rash, plugging it in the winters, fender benders, winter salt, splattered dead bug guts on your front end of the car in summers, water spots, rust, car washes, potholes, tail gaters, dump trucks, semi trucks, construction sites, gravel roads, mud roads, and the worst of them all HAIL!!!

Hail is the one thing that I get paranoid about. There have been times this past year where I would purposely sit in a car wash just to let a hail storm pass. There have been times where I would take a flashlight to my car to check for hail damage.

Like I said, I treat and drive both cars completely different.

On one, I always watch out for potholes, swirving around them constantly, I watch for curbs, I park far away in parking lots so I lower my chances getting door dings, even then there are certain cars that I will never park next to. I touch up any paint chips 3-4 times a year, I excessively wash the car and dry it with towels, I never wash the car without drying it off after from top to bottom, including wheel wells and rims. I even have a bag of micro fibre towels and car detailing supplies in my trunk all year round, I dust the inside once a week, I even keep towels in my glove box, I condition the leather every couple months, I shampoo the flooring once a year, I degrease the engine bay twice a year, I'm always vacuuming it when it's dirty, always detailing the car in the nice seasons.

Then the beater, I simply just don't care about any of this. It's a lot less work, you don't have to worry about this and that, you just simply drive it. Give me a 5ch amp to put in it, and I would be happy as gold. Too bad i already bought the Honda.

A nice car is a great feeling to have and drive in, but at the end of the day, it's just not worth it.

Last edited by Mayosandwich; 01-10-2017 at 09:22 PM..
Old 01-10-2017   #36
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 12 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

I go fly. Wherever for a 1-2 yo car. Negotiate over email or phone only for cars that are niche in markets that don't care. Last time was this year for a 18k mile accord 6-6 for 19k two states away. Tell them I will finance when there and cut a check when I get there. Bye dudes, thanks for the car.
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017   #37

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
I don't understand having a nice car and not driving it.
One of my sisters and her hubby have 4 cars and a motorbike. One is a beater SUV given to them by my other sister (the hubby uses it for hauling stuff in the winter), another is a work truck. But their two most expensive are.

2013 Benz 4matic SUV - they bought it brand new in 2013 and paid sticker price, financed over 5 years I believe. Fully loaded. It's my sisters DD. She drives it all year round. Even though she hasn't done any mods to it, she treats it really good and it's in immaculate shape.

2010 H2 Hummer - they bought it brand new in 2010 and paid cash. I don't know what the going rate was for these back in 2010 but I think they paid about 60K CDN. Fully loaded. For a stock system, it has a pretty good sounding stereo, has built in Monsoon subs.

The hummer has 13,000 km put on it in 6 years. It is stored in the garage every winter and only comes out in the spring and summer. I would say it sits in the garage 350 days a year. It's mostly used for short trips to the store and back, has never seen a road trip or the highway lol. Not driven very often since my brother in law works out of town 6 weeks, then back in town for 2 weeks. He does this all year round. Except for the oil, all the fluids are still original lol. It's only had one oil change. Still all original parts, has never had any maintenance done to it yet. The hummer looks brand new, never touched, it's a real head turner. I don't think it's ever seen dirt or a rock chip.

Even though they don't drive the hummer much, they are still happy with their buy.

Last edited by Mayosandwich; 01-10-2017 at 09:52 PM..
Old 01-10-2017   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 104 danno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enough

Perfect example of a diametric opposite to your current situation.....
Easy answer- get rid of the one, Even if at a loss. Keep the beater. Be "over it" and enjoy life

Courtesy of Chad:
Prepare to have your brain melted and read enough audiophile jibberish to want to freebase a baby duckling.
danno14 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017   #39
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno14 View Post
Perfect example of a diametric opposite to your current situation.....
Easy answer- get rid of the one, Even if at a loss. Keep the beater. Be "over it" and enjoy life
Isn`t that the truth!

Seriously dude, enjoy life while you can. been constantly worried about vehicle
is disturbing. It`s a fucking car, it can be fixed or replaced.
Old 01-11-2017   #40

DIYMA Novice

I just got my insurance lowered from $190/month to $147. That's $516 a year. I'm really pleased.

Now I thought I was only paying $15 a month for the beaters insurance with no liability but apparently Im paying $23 (and this is with the multi-car discount), otherwise it would be $48. So if I ever wanted to cut my insurance even more, get rid of the beater and that saves me $276 a year.
Old 01-11-2017   #41
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayosandwich View Post
I just got my insurance lowered from $190/month to $147. That's $516 a year. I'm really pleased.

Now I thought I was only paying $15 a month for the beaters insurance with no liability but apparently Im paying $23 (and this is with the multi-car discount), otherwise it would be $48. So if I ever wanted to cut my insurance even more, get rid of the beater and that saves me $276 a year.
Is all insurance in Canada that overpriced?
I pay 220 a month for two 2012 vehicles and my house. full coverage and all that...
Old 01-11-2017   #42

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Is all insurance in Canada that overpriced?
I pay 220 a month for two 2012 vehicles and my house. full coverage and all that...
Auto insurance is a jip here in Canada. You get your rate going up if you get pulled over speeding, but you are still allowed to drive if you get caught driving drunk.
Old 01-11-2017   #43

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 71 street.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enough

I have zero demerits and I pay 180 a month for my 2008 truck and brand new dirt bike. Both full coverage. I think the truck is 165 or so on its own. I'd have to dig out the paper work. But yeah it pricey here

SQ confuzzles me
Old 01-11-2017   #44
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:

And I thought I like Canada....
Nuh,still like it.

Old 01-11-2017   #45

DIYMA Novice

Everything else is cheap in Alberta though! It's like Canada's tax Haven haha

SQ confuzzles me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement