What would you do in my situation? Sell or keep my beater? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

View Poll Results: Given my situation, what would you do?
Sell the beater, enjoy your Honda! No point having a nice car only to enjoy it on occasion 2 40.00%
Keep both 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 62 Mayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enough

Default What would you do in my situation? Sell or keep my beater?

Hey guys, I need your guys advice on what YOU would do if you were in my shoes? I'm in a dilemna and hoping to make a decision before summer starts up here so I can decide and move on.

I bought a beater last Sept 2016 (total cost including repairs I put into it so far? $1000CDN). Dirt cheap, I drove it through 95% of this winter, taken it on long distance trips, drove to hell and back in it and honestly it's solid as you can ask a beater to me. It's been an awesome beater, never once did it fail to start in -35 weather lol. It's a bit of a gas guzzler, but a good beater none the less.

Honestly, it's been the best thing ever and once I got it, it was an immediate relief from my main car. I loved it because it's saved me a helluva lot of Car washes, I'm not paranoid about door dings or rock chips or all the splattered dead bugs in the summer (since I drive 90% highway), or bird crap or dirty or mud or hitting pot holes like on my other car.

The only problem is, ever since I got it, I've rarely driven my other Car (2011 Honda Accord EXL coupe) and this is a car that I have a monthly payment on for 3 more years and obviously more on insurance.

It's been super fun since Sept having the beater, but honestly...this has just hit me the past few weeks. This just doesn't feel like money well spent, on a car that I pay monthly payments if I rarely drive it because of the beater. Throughout the winter, I've been driving my Honda like once a week, maybe twice and they were short trips.

And I will be honest, ever since getting the beater in Sept...I have put on 3,000km on the Honda, that's 3,000 in 6.5 months. And I have put 15,000km on the beater car.

Now, just a recap, I work from home 90% of the time (so aside from meetings and get togethers, I don't have to commute anywhere for work.
But I still drive 500-600km a week (more in the summers), because I go to the barn just about everyday of the week. It's just about all highway, but there is 6km of heavy gravel roads (that get re-graveled 3 times a year with massive rock chunks), and this is the main reason why I got a beater in the first place. If it wasn't for the gravel roads, I wouldn't have even considered getting a beater. Having to wipe down the front end of my car 2-3 times a day in the summer months, is annoying and tedious as hell but it's something I can tolerate.

I like a clean car (especially in the nicer weather) and I got tired of cleaning my Honda every day haha. Because the barn is almost all highways, in the summers, I got sick of cleaning all the splattered bugs off the front end of the car 2-3 times a day, 6-7 days a week, it got old quck. I carry spray bottles of water and microfibre towels in my trunk all year round. And this is why when I got the beater, it was an immediate relief not having to do any of this. It's nice being able to drive 2-3 hours on the highway and not have to wipe 8000 bugs off your car.

There are times where I will travel to places out of town where there is an hour's drive of pure dirt gravel roads. Massive rock chunks and it was amazing being able to just cruise down them with the beater last Fall and actually do the speed limit. No way I would take my Honda down those roads, it would take forever since I never do the limit, not even close to it.

Now if I decide to sell my beater, I can always rent a car for a day when I do decide to go on these trips (where there are long scretches of gravel roads.)

Anyways, the barn is pretty much the only place I got to during the weeks (aside from running errands in the city etc), so this is why I've put on 15,000km on the beater car in 6 months. Even though Ive mostly been driving my beater this winter, there are alot of times where I will miss driving my Honda.

I love my Honda, Ive done a lot of work to it and often I feel bad for not always being able to enjoy the fruit in the basket. I totally miss my car stereo thats in my Honda. Because for each time I am in the beater and not driving my Honda, I am missing out on enjoy the fruits of the Honda.

As much as I love having two cars, it can be a pain at times. You have to do on changes on both, fill up gas on both, go home to switch cars at times, and often I will think about which car to take.

Even though it wasnt as convenient when I just had my Honda, its nice having everything in one car. Dont have to pay and carry two registrations, dont have to lug stuff and gear from trunk to trunk (which does get old after awhile), as there have been times where i would forget things in my other car, only to have to go home to get it.

Now , obviously there are pros and cons of each car, but right now I'm trying to decide if I should sell my beater.

Obviously there are other benefits to it like.

1) Better gas milage on my Honda. Even though I saved a lot of money on car washes throughout this winter on my Honda, it evened out because the beater is a gas guzzler especially in winters. I had to fill that thing up over the past 6.5 months a lot. So I'm sure what I saved on washes, ended up costing me the same in gas.

2) $22/month on insurance making it $260 or so a year. That's still a good chunk of change that i can put towards bills.

Also factor in other stuff like tires (the tires on my beater now will probably need replacing this fall if I keep driving it like I do lol), and I'm looking at at least a few hundred, plus labour of course. Again, more money towards the beater car.

3) No registration on the beater, so I save another $85 a year.

4) When Im in the beater car, I miss the stuff in my Honda - like my aftermarket stereo, my hands free bluetooth, my tinted windows, sunroof, it's fun to drive, leather seats, heck even something as basic as my cup holders! lol.

What do you guys think?

I'm just trying to look at the year end and long term costs here.

Last edited by Mayosandwich; 1 Week Ago at 12:23 PM..
Mayosandwich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA member

Rep Power: 57 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

Default Re: What would you do in my situation? Sell or keep my beater?

I'll answer. It's paid for, keep the beater. I have 3 vehicles I drive regularly depending on the situation. My wife also has her own. There is nothing like the security blanket of an affordable extra vehicle.

The best way to dummy proof is to get rid of the dummies
Theslaking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 82 diy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enough

Sell both!! Get just one that can go everywhere / do everything lol.

diy.phil
diy.phil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 247 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

If I was in your shoes I'd sell the Honda and keep the beater. Then put a stereo in it that has bt. Then drive the hell out of it until something expensive breaks. Might be worth looking for a second cheap beater to have on standby but would still be cheaper than making payments on the Honda AND keeping it clean.

OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, JL XD800/8, Soundstream TN1200.1, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...HASTE MAKES WASTE
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Tugg! will become famous soon enoughTugg! will become famous soon enoughTugg! will become famous soon enoughTugg! will become famous soon enoughTugg! will become famous soon enoughTugg! will become famous soon enough

I'm in a similar situation. I just gave my 14 Lincoln MKX to the wife and went to driving my 99 ranger as a dd. The ranger is a beater, gets worse gas mileage, rougher Ride, no modern conveniences. I swapped in some explorer seats so I would be a little more comfortable.

I do not stress about the ranger. Door dings, scratches, road debris, none of that bothers me any more. It is quite freeing actually.

Throw some tunes in your better and save the payment money on the Honda until you are ready for something else.
Tugg! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 26 Truthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enough

I was in a similar situation years ago: Had a garage queen and a beater but the difference is they were both paid for. But because of the extra cost of insurance/reg I decided to sell the Lexus. I drove the beater for several years and then bought a new car.
By this time, after driving just the beater for several years, my ocd about keeping my Car spotless all the time has waned. I still like to clean it up and detail it but in much more moderation now.
Another thing I felt helped a lot was when I was deciding on a new car, I decided to get a color that does not show dirt as much. I stayed away from dark colors & non-metallics. Now, I get compliments all the time on how clean I keep my Car and on the inside I laugh because I know it hasn't been washed in weeks... You just can't see the dirt on a very metallic silver car. My previous garage queen car color was a deep red and it showed everything.
I think it has a lot to do with age too... The things are important to me have changed a lot now that I'm middle age.
Anyway, I would say get rid of the Honda and drive the beater. Save your money up for your next vehicle so you won't have a payment or at least a lower one.
Truthunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 205 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

I work so I can buy things I like and enjoy them. I have my old Tahoe ('04), which has a few dents and scratches, sometimes it goes months without a wash. The system is smoking, so that makes driving it nice and enjoyable.

Then I have my 370z, which is starting to age (2009 model, nearly 80k miles). I used to have it detailed all the time, now it get washed slightly more than my Tahoe, but the crappy Nissan paint is starting to show pretty badly up close. I upgraded the system last summer and now it is much nicer, although not QUITE up to par with the Tahoe, but it is close to the same ballpark. It is fun to drive, but not as "comfy" as the truck. When I've been driving it back and forth to work a lot - like now, when the Tahoe is in the shop for a system upgrade for 10 days - I like getting back into my big comfy truck and relaxing a bit more with the smoother, softer ride and cushy seats.

Bottom line, both vehicles have their uses, and I spent a LOT of time on the road, on the average of 12-16 hours a week just on the commute to work and back.

I've found I am much more relaxed just letting things go. The Z isn't perfect anymore, but it still looks nice when I clean it up, my son ADORES it and tells me his friends always oooh and aaah when I pick him up at school in it. However, I know it could be a lot nicer. My plan is probably to get it repainted and new wheels (or refinish the factory ones, which I like a lot), but I would still drive it as much as I do now.

Personally, I have to ask myself why I was so uptight about it in the beginning? I mean... it's a car. It's ONLY a car. It doesn't do me a GD'd bit of good sitting in the garage and not being driven, even if it does pay off next month. Why do I pay for something nice if I'm not going to enjoy it? It's not for show, it's for me to enjoy, to play in, etc. I could ask myself the same thing about the dozens of firearms which I rarely get to shoot, but those don't depreciate like a Car does, even sitting in the garage and being babied. It's a car. It's made to drive, and it is GOING to depreciate in value whether I drive it or not.

Don't waste your money on something you don't use, but that doesn't mean get rid of it. Take it out. Enjoy it. Ease up on your own stress level a bit and allow yourself to enjoy it. Give yourself permission to use your toys the way you want to. A few scratches and dings here and there are only going to bother you if you allow them to have that much control over your life. I remember your thread about buying the beater and how you were worried your parents were going to roast you for having another vehicle... I ask when you are going to give yourself permission to enjoy your life and the fruits of your labor without guilt?

I could be debt-free by now if I'd not bought myself some toys (see sports car, guns, lots of Scotch, etc.), but honestly, like I said, I work to enjoy my free time, and I've given myself permission to ease up a bit on the self-induced pressure to pay off all my debt as fast as humanly possible in order to maintain my sanity by having some nice things that help me relax and appreciate a little bit of what I am earning. Debt is numbers on a balance sheet... yes, it needs to be worked on, and when I am finally debt-free in another year or two (except for student loans), I will be happy, but it wasn't worth the cost of driving myself like a sled dog and staring down the barrel of a creditor's gun for the whole time.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/Anarchy/JBL W15GTix3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 62 Mayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enoughMayosandwich will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the insight. A few things I would like to point out.

1) I can't get rid of the Honda because I am still tied in for 3 years of payments. I would lose way too much money if I was to sell it. I was dumb at the time and signed tthe papers with too high of a monthly payment because my excitement of a new Car overrode my common sense.

2) I love the car, it's the best one I've ever had. I just love everything about it and so fun to drive. Yes white is a high maintenance colour and it shows dirt like you wouldn't believe but I'd still rather have white than black for example.

3) I asked myself, could I live with just the Honda? Of course I easily could. I technically don't "need" the beater, it's just nice to have and gives me relief in some ways. But if it died today and I had to scrap it, I wouldn't miss it. Now, if my Honda died, I would miss it.

4) I got really tired of switching cars all the time. Get in one car, go home, get in the other car.

If I had to choose one Car to keep, it would be the Honda forsure simply cause it suits my needs better for everything that it has and for everything that I've done to it (aftermarket lighting inside and out, sound system, tinted windows and sunroof, remote starter, the list goes on and on). I put all that money into the upgrades for a reason.

I could not live with just the beater because I would miss just about all that stuff I have in my Honda. There are many times where I would be in the beater (especially the stretches where I literally drove the the beater all the time), and I would miss my Honda. But there has not been a single time where I was in my Honda and wished I was in my beater.

And I will be honest, my beater (even though it runs well), it's not a long term car without putting more money into it. Why do I say that? Cause it's got a oil pan leak and needs new struts all around. But because it's a beater to me and I don't want to drop that kind of coin into repairs on it, I;ve just dealt with it. Oil pan repair on this car is a serious PITA, since you have to pull the subframe of the engine right out. Anyways, not worth it for the cost of the labour. Even my mechanic told me to save my money especially since it's just a beater to me. I check the oil once a week and top up when needed. It's not a serious leak anyways, just seaping and by the time it gets worse, I will have sold the car by then.

Also the electrical is messed up, (something wrong with the gauge cluster) as it goes out sometimes lol. And the ABS brakes goes on and off too at times. This is a huge reason why I'm a huge fan of Japanese cars, cause electrical + USA cars = fail especially when they age.

Also there is a bit of shaking in the steering wheel when accelerating on the highway. Nothing serious but it's noticable.

So this car does require work, I've just put up with the problems that's all.

Last edited by Mayosandwich; 1 Week Ago at 09:40 AM..
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRidiot View Post
I've found I am much more relaxed just letting things go. The Z isn't perfect anymore, but it still looks nice when I clean it up, my son ADORES it and tells me his friends always oooh and aaah when I pick him up at school in it. However, I know it could be a lot nicer. My plan is probably to get it repainted and new wheels (or refinish the factory ones, which I like a lot), but I would still drive it as much as I do now.

Personally, I have to ask myself why I was so uptight about it in the beginning? I mean... it's a car. It's ONLY a car. It doesn't do me a GD'd bit of good sitting in the garage and not being driven, even if it does pay off next month. Why do I pay for something nice if I'm not going to enjoy it? It's not for show, it's for me to enjoy, to play in, etc. I could ask myself the same thing about the dozens of firearms which I rarely get to shoot, but those don't depreciate like a Car does, even sitting in the garage and being babied. It's a car. It's made to drive, and it is GOING to depreciate in value whether I drive it or not.
As I was thinking last night, I was saying this exact same thing to myself. I need to let up with the paranoia on the Honda. Yes I love a clean super detailed Car in the hot seasons, but I need to stop with the OCD and dirt being on the car. Dirt is not going to kill the car. Once I realize this, I won't be so worried about having my Honda so prestinely spotless all the time.

Besides, as much as I love clean cars, there's something about a nice car but muddy that appeals to me as well haha.

That leads me to my next point.

Quote:
Don't waste your money on something you don't use, but that doesn't mean get rid of it. Take it out. Enjoy it. Ease up on your own stress level a bit and allow yourself to enjoy it. Give yourself permission to use your toys the way you want to. A few scratches and dings here and there are only going to bother you if you allow them to have that much control over your life. I remember your thread about buying the beater and how you were worried your parents were going to roast you for having another vehicle... I ask when you are going to give yourself permission to enjoy your life and the fruits of your labor without guilt?.
And this is what I was getting at too. A car is a car, and at the end of the day it's still a machine to get us from point A to point B. I want to enjoy my sound system and all the stuff I have in my Honda, well there is no reason why I can't enjoy all of it 365 days a year, every single time I am driving somewhere. I just need to ease up with my standards in terms of how spotless it will be, that's all.

I mean me not driving my Honda just because I want to save on car washes and not get it dirty is a bit OCD is it not?

That's what I did on Friday, it was still slushy on the roads from the snow melting so I took my Honda out that day (after it's been sitting for a week in spotless form, not a single spec of dirt on it). But the only problem? I ended up washing the car on the way home lol.

So then that's what I did yesterday, (even though I was on the fence about it and had to think about it), I knew it's super muddy at the barn and I decided to take the Honda. But the only problem is, again, I ended up hitting the car wash on the way home lol.

I need to take the Honda out again today to the barn, except I need to NOT wash it for once. Baby steps.

Then rinse and repeat tomorrow. If I can drive the Honda for all of next week and maybe hit up a car wash by mid week, then that will be a huge step in the right direction for my paranoia on always wanting a spotless car.

Because I will be honest, driving the Honda is so much fun and me having everything in it, just makes the experience all that much better. I would hate to not experience all the fruits of the basket everyday just because I don't want to get the car dirty.

But at the end of the day, it's still just a car and it's still just a Honda. I need to stop treating it like it's a Ferrari.

Last edited by Mayosandwich; 1 Week Ago at 09:51 AM..
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 144 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayosandwich View Post
I need to stop treating it like it's a Ferrari.
You take it to the shop all the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 147 solacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to solacedagony Send a message via AIM to solacedagony Send a message via MSN to solacedagony

Ultimately, it depends on what you feel is worth your hard earned money. Regardless of which choice you make, feeling guilty or worrying about it is NOT worth it. Accept the choices you've made, decide what you're OK with now and have an idea what you want to do with your cars in the future.

I personally like the idea of having a beater for daily crap and a nice Car to drive when you want to enjoy the music, the weather, the driving experience, whatever it is that draws you to your car.

The nice thing about having a beater and a nice Car is that you can keep the miles and wear down on the nice car and keep it's value relatively high while still enjoying it. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to keep your car nice. I also prefer taking my beater to places that I wouldn't want to park a nice car (driving in a city, supermarket, not great parts of town).
solacedagony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 92 truckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enough

You are upside down on your good Car now....do you think lots of miles on beat up roads is going to help that situation any?

Keep the beater. Because even Hondas break down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbassplay
It's not a party until the bottoms come off.
truckerfte is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckerfte View Post
You are upside down on your good Car now....do you think lots of miles on beat up roads is going to help that situation any?

Keep the beater. Because even Hondas break down.
What do you mean help the situation?

Thats why I do a max of 40kmh on the gravel roads (80kmh speed limit). Its annoying and takes me two times longer to get where I need to get, but oh well.

You can drive on heavy gravel without getting the Car beat up, you just have to go slow, plus I have the front end on the Honda filmed.
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 147 solacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to solacedagony Send a message via AIM to solacedagony Send a message via MSN to solacedagony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayosandwich View Post
What do you mean help the situation?

Thats why I do a max of 40kmh on the gravel roads (80kmh speed limit). Its annoying and takes me two times longer to get where I need to get, but oh well.

You can drive on heavy gravel without getting the Car beat up, you just have to go slow, plus I have the front end on the Honda filmed.
If you were purely worried about getting rid of debt, you'd cut your loses NOW instead of paying even more money into it and it being worth even less. But I don't think that this decision is purely financial.
Old 1 Week Ago   #15

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by solacedagony View Post
Ultimately, it depends on what you feel is worth your hard earned money. Regardless of which choice you make, feeling guilty or worrying about it is NOT worth it. Accept the choices you've made, decide what you're OK with now and have an idea what you want to do with your cars in the future.
Im not feeling guilty, I have no problem owning both cars as long as I get use out of both.

I think the biggest thing is, once I stop being so OCD over the Honda, the better and then I wont be so paranoid about it being spotless everyday.

Quote:
I personally like the idea of having a beater for daily crap and a nice Car to drive when you want to enjoy the music, the weather, the driving experience, whatever it is that draws you to your car.
I do too and there are clear benefits, but also downfalls. Like always making special trips back home to switch cars, moving stufd back and fourth between the two, two registrations, more keys, etc.

Quote:
The nice thing about having a beater and a nice Car is that you can keep the miles and wear down on the nice car and keep it's value relatively high while still enjoying it. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to keep your car nice.
I agree. I put on just under 30,000km in the first year on my Honda and coming up to just under 16,000 in the second.
If not for the beater, i would already have almost 60,000km on it in 2 years.

I
Quote:
also prefer taking my beater to places that I wouldn't want to park a nice car (driving in a city, supermarket, not great parts of town).
I just go 7am on weekend mornings or late at night
Old 1 Week Ago   #16

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 29 dsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enough

I agree with slaking. Keep both, there really is great security in having that extra car. And, it really isn't costing you a lot more keeping the second car. You are just spreading the costs over the two cars. Your gas consumption is still the same. Oil changes are spread over the two cars.

The real benefit of having the beater is that you can put in a good head unit and start the stereo Build from there. Everything (audio-wise) starts with the head unit. You put in a high end head unit and you've got a good start to great sound in the beater. That is one thing you probably cannot do in your 2011 Honda...or, at least, not very easily. Now, you've got a great quality signal coming to your amplifier (something that your are not getting from your stock Honda head unit) and you can work from there.
dsw1204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsw1204 View Post
I agree with slaking. Keep both, there really is great security in having that extra car. And, it really isn't costing you a lot more keeping the second car. You are just spreading the costs over the two cars. Your gas consumption is still the same. Oil changes are spread over the two cars.
That's mostly true if they're paid off. In mayo's case, the Honda is not and I would guess is a 3 to 400$ a month cost over the next 3 years (>$12000). Also, insurance cost, but I think he said that's pretty negligible.

If he just kept the beater, he could probably replace the trans and motor once a year for that cost. There is something to be said with how cheap a beater is compared to the cost of a new car.
Old 1 Week Ago   #18

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 29 dsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by solacedagony View Post
That's mostly true if they're paid off. In mayo's case, the Honda is not and I would guess is a 3 to 400$ a month cost over the next 3 years (>$12000). Also, insurance cost, but I think he said that's pretty negligible.

If he just kept the beater, he could probably replace the trans and motor once a year for that cost. There is something to be said with how cheap a beater is compared to the cost of a new car.
I was assuming he bought the 2011 Honda new, which would mean he probably has it paid off, by now. I, myself, drive a 1991 Honda Accord and my yearly repair costs are about $1000 - $1200. And, that is considerably less than a $400 + monthly Car payment. And, I get to put in the head unit of my choice, as well.
Old 1 Week Ago   #19

DIYMA Novice

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I've made a decision to hold off until at least after the summer is over (if I was to sell my beater or not), then re-visit. I think right now, it's too quick to make a decision. Cause lets face it, the main reason why I even have a beater is because I got it for so cheap. Last summer, I shopped months and months for dirt cheap beaters and I couldn't find anything reasonable (and me feeling safe to drive it) for anything close to what i paid for mine now. They all had expensive repairs needed so after I did all the math, the cheapest ones I could find were in the $2500-3000 range. I wasn't willing to spend that much on a beater. Plus, the other beaters that I looked at had higher insurance rates.

This beater has been everything that I could ask for and has proven to give me benefits. I think if I was to sell it right now, I would regret it because i know two summers ago, when I first got the Honda, and was taking heavy gravel and dirt roads and such, and having to spray down the front end of my Car everyday, multiple times a day...this is when I had initial thoughts of getting a beater to compliment my Honda and use it strictly as a barn car. And I kept getting these thoughts. Because not only was I unable to keep the Honda clean for longer than 24 hours ,but that I know it would be useful for me.

Trust me, if I keep the beater as strictly my barn car, it will save me a lot of money each year on Car washes, detailing products on my Honda.

As a matter of fact, if I take the Honda to the barn, there is literally no point in even wasting my time and money detailing it because it gets covered in gravel dust and crap the very next day.

Last spring and summer, I would literally wipe down and dust the entire car front to back, top to bottom, every single day for the entire spring and summer. It got tedious very quick, and holy cow is it ever time consuming.

As soon as I bought the beater last Fall, I saw the immediate benefits and rewards.

So that is why I am saying that, I do think having both is very useful for me.
I want to keep my Honda detailed and clean? I can do that if I keep the beater and use the beater for all the barn commutes in the spring, summer and fall. Then use my Honda for everything else. So in this case, the Honda will still get quite a bit of usage, it would be driven everyday.

I think with the winter, I was simply just driving my beater far too much. I just need to ease up a little bit.

The reason being is because I bought the beater in the Fall season of last year so I didn't get to experience the benefits and rewards in having a beater in the spring or summer months (when the gravel roads, construction and bugs are the worst)

Let me run with both cars for at least the spring and summer of this year and then assess.

But as it stands right now, I do think having two cars is useful and beneficial for my situation. Like someone else said, this beater is dirt cheap anyways.

I was cleaning my Honda today and it quickly reminded how I simply just do not want to have to wipe the front end of the car down every single day, numerous times a day, dust it every single night in the spring, summer and fall months. I would say it's worth keeping the beater for this single reason alone. Plus it will save me a lot of money on car washes on the Honda.

For the past two years, when the summer months were bad, I was still washing my Honda 3-4 times a week. Even at $2 a wash (I'm quick and have my routine down pat), it adds up. That's $30+ a month x 6 months = $180 for a year. Now after getting the beater, last Fall I washed my Honda once a week if that. Plus also don't forget the time having to completely dry it off and wipe it down after each wash. It gets very tedious when you are doing it 3-4 times a week lol. A lot of times at the end of the day, I was so tired and hot with the summer heat that I just didn't feel like cleaning it and drying it.

If I can suck up having to switch cars, make special trips back home to switch cars and moving stuff between the two cars (which I know I can suck it up), I think the benefits of not having to clean my Honda near as much, and being able to keep it detailed in the spring, summer and fall will be well worth it.

Last edited by Mayosandwich; 1 Week Ago at 07:52 PM..
Old 1 Week Ago   #20

DIYMA Novice

Just curious, how old is this beater and what is the make and model?
Old 1 Week Ago   #21

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Just curious, how old is this beater and what is the make and model?
1997 Buick Regal, v6.
Old 5 Days Ago   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
I was assuming he bought the 2011 Honda new, which would mean he probably has it paid off, by now. I, myself, drive a 1991 Honda Accord and my yearly repair costs are about $1000 - $1200. And, that is considerably less than a $400 + monthly Car payment. And, I get to put in the head unit of my choice, as well.
Agreed. Pretty much every paid off Car is going to be cheaper than a car payment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement