Help with recovering data from android phone - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Days Ago   #1
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Default Help with recovering data from android phone

Hello all, my galaxy s6 recently shit the bed and i just picked up an LG G6. to my surprise, my contacts were not backed up with my google accounts. not sure why. Long story short i kinda need my contacts. the phone will give me signs that its on (led light goes on when its plugged in), but the screen is not turning on. Im currently trying to use EaseUS MobiSaver to recover, but it needs me to put the phone in usb debugging mode, which i cant do without the screen on. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Days Ago   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 29 MikeS will become famous soon enoughMikeS will become famous soon enoughMikeS will become famous soon enoughMikeS will become famous soon enoughMikeS will become famous soon enoughMikeS will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Help with recovering data from android phone

Sometimes the touch controls still work even if screen does not turn on, if you can remember in what way you have to open the phone after reboot you might get it opened that way.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Days Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Sometimes the touch controls still work even if screen does not turn on, if you can remember in what way you have to open the phone after reboot you might get it opened that way.
For the life of me I just wouldnt know where to click to get it into debugging mode

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Old 3 Days Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 101 AccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished road

Samsung had/has their own stuff for contacts. you might want to check, I had a s4 a while back I believe they had a separate account for samsung stuff..

Jose -02 VW Passat Wagon
Beyma Speakers - Soundigital Amps - Arc Audio PS8 - Nexus 7
AccordUno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Days Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordUno View Post
Samsung had/has their own stuff for contacts. you might want to check, I had a s4 a while back I believe they had a separate account for samsung stuff..
Where/what would I check. I have a backup from a couple months ago on my computer but I don't see anything for contacts

Old 3 Days Ago   #6

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 29 MikeS will become famous soon enoughMikeS will become famous soon enoughMikeS will become famous soon enoughMikeS will become famous soon enoughMikeS will become famous soon enoughMikeS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
For the life of me I just wouldnt know where to click to get it into debugging mode

No need for debugs if you get it running/open, then just use the kies to open contacts?
Old 3 Days Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
No need for debugs if you get it running/open, then just use the kies to open contacts?
Not sure how to do that..

Old 3 Days Ago   #8

DIYMA Novice

Just enter the passcode/open the screenlock "blind" to connect phone to computer for backup..

There seems to be some kies backup extractor software if you got old backup, both free and commercial if you look around.
Old 3 Days Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Just enter the passcode/open the screenlock "blind" to connect phone to computer for backup..

There seems to be some kies backup extractor software if you got old backup, both free and commercial if you look around.
I dont even have a passcode on the phone. When I plug the phone in the conputee doesn't "see" it

Old 3 Days Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 101 AccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished road

Do you know if the USB port is fubar'd? try a different cable (not all USB cables are created equal even though there's a standard)

Jose -02 VW Passat Wagon
Beyma Speakers - Soundigital Amps - Arc Audio PS8 - Nexus 7
AccordUno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Days Ago   #11
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

I have 2 brand new oem cables and the led light responds to being plugges in.

Old 3 Days Ago   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 22 sq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enough

It may work due to not recognizing the file system on android. Android(which is Linux based) uses ext4 which is not recognized on windows operating systems natively. Could try this "HERE" which are programs which would allow you to see the ext4 partitions on the phone and possibly recover the files.

Someone mentioned something about the usb cord and that could also play a part in it. The default samsung usb cords are trash and I had to actually purchase a Blackberry usb cord to be able to transfer files from my pc to my android.

Another thing you may wish to look up is if you have the correct drivers for your particular phone installed on the pc as well. Someone had mentioned using Kies and that should install the drivers you need to communicate between the phone and the computer.Here is a link for Kies here:"KIES"

Just thought I would throw this out there for you..maybe it can help out in some capacity.
sq2k1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Days Ago   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 98 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Maybe this guy or his stuff can help you, he is close to you Louis Rossmann, call his shop if you can't fix your issue

Interesting YouTube channel, Tech repairs and very Entertaining

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Acoustical Mad Scientist

Rep Power: 83 Jazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura about

Have you tried taking it to your carrier's store? I know Verizon for example has tools they can plug into a phone to extract all kinds of data like this. I'm not sure how functional the phone needs to be for their tools to work, your results may vary.

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
-My 2002 VW Golf stealth SQ build (an engineering student's perspective)
-Jazzi's tuning companion for Room EQ Wizard
Jazzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #15
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
Have you tried taking it to your carrier's store? I know Verizon for example has tools they can plug into a phone to extract all kinds of data like this. I'm not sure how functional the phone needs to be for their tools to work, your results may vary.
I took it there with my to get my new phone. They claimed they don't have any tools that can do that. I was thinking thats pure bs since the salesman I was dealing with seemed like a lazy sob

Old 2 Days Ago   #16
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Acoustical Mad Scientist

Rep Power: 83 Jazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura about

I wasn't there and don't know anything about your situation so I don't want to say he was lying to you, but I'm pretty sure he was lying to you.

Maybe if you were at one of those "authorized reseller" stores instead of an "official" ATT/Verizon/Sprint store I could see they wouldn't have the special tools. Also maybe if he was a lazy jerk.

I mean Google built that feature into their Pixel phone and you can plug a Pixel into another android phone and the two phones will figure it out themselves without any intervention, and all your data is passed over and ready to go (if the old phone has android 4.0 or higher anyways, which mine didn't, so I lost some stuff).

The tools are out there, and I would be completely shocked if your carrier didn't have access to them. I would be much less shocked if they had the tools but they didn't work since your phone seems to have some issues though.

Anyhow, good luck with that. I know how crappy that situation is.

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
-My 2002 VW Golf stealth SQ build (an engineering student's perspective)
-Jazzi's tuning companion for Room EQ Wizard
Jazzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #17
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
I wasn't there and don't know anything about your situation so I don't want to say he was lying to you, but I'm pretty sure he was lying to you.

Maybe if you were at one of those "authorized reseller" stores instead of an "official" ATT/Verizon/Sprint store I could see they wouldn't have the special tools. Also maybe if he was a lazy jerk.

I mean Google built that feature into their Pixel phone and you can plug a Pixel into another android phone and the two phones will figure it out themselves without any intervention, and all your data is passed over and ready to go (if the old phone has android 4.0 or higher anyways, which mine didn't, so I lost some stuff).

The tools are out there, and I would be completely shocked if your carrier didn't have access to them. I would be much less shocked if they had the tools but they didn't work since your phone seems to have some issues though.

Anyhow, good luck with that. I know how crappy that situation is.
Authorized shop. Lazy employee. Ughh.. I keep looking and report back

Old 2 Days Ago   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 98 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Good luck nick, and that guy always offers free estimates, it may be a simple cheap thing if no fixing is needed and only data or contacts need to be recovered from the phone.

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 22 sq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enough

Are you any good with computers and such Skizer? It could be possible to fix your phone on your own by reflashing your phone using odin and the appropriate build file. I flash roms and such on my phone and have basically brought my phone back from the dead before.

But considering you said it is the screen not coming on, it makes me wonder if the screen itself is the issue. But if it is the screen, the operating system should still be functional and you should be able to pull the .vcf file(extenstion for contacts file) off the phone. Another thing you may consider is if you had the contacts saved on removable or internal storage. If they were saved on removable, you could buy an adapter to put the mini-sd card into and access it that way. Anyways....good luck. Enough input from me.
The Following User Says Thank You to sq2k1 For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (2 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #20
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq2k1 View Post
Are you any good with computers and such Skizer? It could be possible to fix your phone on your own by reflashing your phone using odin and the appropriate build file. I flash roms and such on my phone and have basically brought my phone back from the dead before.

But considering you said it is the screen not coming on, it makes me wonder if the screen itself is the issue. But if it is the screen, the operating system should still be functional and you should be able to pull the .vcf file(extenstion for contacts file) off the phone. Another thing you may consider is if you had the contacts saved on removable or internal storage. If they were saved on removable, you could buy an adapter to put the mini-sd card into and access it that way. Anyways....good luck. Enough input from me.
im decent with computers. i cant picture that its the screen itself. i say this because i was working on a car, was using the phone flashlight, put the phone down (gently) after turning it off, then 5 mins later went to go use it again and poof.. it was off. might be the screen but idk. i have old backups of the phone. do you know what the file name would be for the contacts? i searched through the folders and found nothing. the phone in question is the samsung s6 and doesnt have an sd car slot. but are you saying maybe the built in internal storage is removeable? i have thought of going that route if possible but havent had the time to research it yet. how would i go about reflashing it?

Old 1 Day Ago   #21

DIYMA freshman

No, the internal storage is not removable... removable storage is the micro-sd card that slides in the back of the phone or some other slot depending on the phone( I own a Note 4). The file for the contacts on your phone is called contacts.db if you never exported the contacts to a .vcf file.

So you can actually see the folders on the phone and such though using your pc? If that is the case, then the file system is still intact. You could possibly download this and backup your s6 to your pc:"Smart-Switch"

There is an option in the program to backup contacts to your pc, it is located under the more tab, then preferences, then the backup items tab. You can select what you wish to back-up or what not by going that route.

I suggested reflashing the phone as a way to get it back up and running, but by doing so, you would wipe the contacts info off the phone. I wanted to clarify that. There is an option to update phones with newest firmware via the program I linked but I would most certainly make sure to back up the phone first before doing so to your pc.

About the best option I can think of at this point via doing it yourself.
Old 1 Day Ago   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Edgewater

Rep Power: 67 Hoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enough

That's so weird that your google account didn't back up your contacts. So when you sign into gmail on a computer and click the down arrow next to gmail in the top left and click contacts, there's nothing?

Hmmm I guess not, by default the phone is set to store contacts to the device and changing it to Google is not exactly straight-forward. Pretty lame. Galaxy S4 (4.3): All contacts are saved to device. Can I change them to Google instead? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Audison BitOne - Arc XDI V2 600.4, KS 2500.1 - Arc Black 6.2 - JBL W15GTi MkII
07 Accord Build Log
Hoptologist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Day Ago   #23
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoptologist View Post
That's so weird that your google account didn't back up your contacts. So when you sign into gmail on a computer and click the down arrow next to gmail in the top left and click contacts, there's nothing?

Hmmm I guess not, by default the phone is set to store contacts to the device and changing it to Google is not exactly straight-forward. Pretty lame. Galaxy S4 (4.3): All contacts are saved to device. Can I change them to Google instead? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
there are some, but theyre all like 7 years old.

Old 1 Day Ago   #24
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner/ Engineer/Sales/Support

Rep Power: 150 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Did you signed for Samsung account when you started using Samsung phones, all contacts backed up to Samsung by default. get another S6 even temporary, sign in to samsung account, it will sync automatically.

It seems like most people don't care to actually understand reality.
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Day Ago   #25
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
Did you signed for Samsung account when you started using Samsung phones, all contacts backed up to Samsung by default. get another S6 even temporary, sign in to samsung account, it will sync automatically.
Not a bad idea. Ill see what I can do

Sponsored Links
Advertisement