Losing my dog to cancer - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6 Days Ago   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 105 nineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enough

Default Losing my dog to cancer

My Chula came into my life in 2009. She was a rescue pup whose mother had died after giving birth to 2 puppies on the side of the road in Phoenix, AZ. We've spent every day and night together, side by side. She's been to every state in the cont US, I drive a truck. Over the past few weeks she's slowly stopped eating. Tuesday morning we stopped at a vet in Montana. Did some blood work and her liver enzymes were 20x what they should've been. He did some X- rays and the liver was normal size. Later that evening my local Dr called after reviewing the tests and said I needed to get her into a veterinary hospital for an ultrasound, that things were worse than the original Dr had diagnosed. Wednesday I found an ER hospital with the capabilities. They originally planned a bunch of tests and 27 hours of IV meds to bring her liver enzymes to acceptable levels. 2 days in the hospital was their recommendation so I left her to be treated. About 45 minutes later they called, I knew that couldn't be that good. They said they did the ultrasound first and that was all they needed to do and said I should come get her. They found a large mass on her intestin and were guessing the cancer to be in an inoperable location. Without a biopsy they can't really say how long she has, but best guess was maybe 4 months.

We're still on the road and waiting to head home to get a biopsy and see an oncologist asap. Being a truck dog is a hard life, one I've been wanting to get her out of for years but timing was never right. And now here we are facing the last month's of her life, waiting to die in a truck away from home. I feel regret, remorse, and guilt for her facing this this way.

Dr said the sign that she's given up will be that she'll stop eating all together no matter what I try to give her for 2-3 days. That's terrible to imagine, right now she barely eats 1.5-2 cans a food a day. I'm trying to get her home were she will be spoiled to no end. Hot dogs, hamburgers, all the chicken and rice she can eat.

To say I'm sad would be misleading. I'm devastated. She's been my best friend for only 8 short years, and now after a few other friends having moved on or passed away, she's my only friend. Losing her is losing my life. I don't know how to handle this. One part of me wants to hold on to every last day I can get with her, another wants to let her go sooner to ease her pain and I know that's the right way to end things. I'm not about to give up on any and all options to save her precious life. First thing I'm doing when I get home is ordering several months worth or cbd oil. It's said to take away pain, spark get appetite, and get her up and moving like normal again. And if it attacks the tumor the way it's said to, maybe we'll have a few more years.

I love this dog more than anything or anyone throughout my 41 years. Guess I just needed a place to blow off some steam and let it all out. The last 36 hours have been really rough. Trying to imagine a life after hers. I know I'll eventually rescue a few more pups and give them great lives. But Chula has saved me from myself more tram once, and is doing it again. Overt the past year, I've been drinking more and more, drinking a gallon of Jack each week. I'm now 3 days of not having a single drop. She's giving her life to save mine and I'll never forget that.

Sent from my LG-V20 using Tapatalk

Last edited by nineball76; 5 Days Ago at 07:12 AM..
nineball76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to nineball76 For This Useful Post:
unix_usr (5 Days Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 43 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Losing my dog to cancer

Damn, that's a tough post... So sorry to hear that, and I know how it feels...

No words... just saying I read every word and I feel for you. Chula is beautiful.

My wife was furious when she overheard me saying I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep. 2016 Wrangler 2 Door - Morel MT250 Tweeters - Morel Hybrid MW6 Midbass - Hertz Mille Rear fill- Sundown Zv.4 & SCV-2000D - Arc XDi - Mosconi Pico 2 - MiniDSP - source Fiio X3
DavidRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidRam For This Useful Post:
nineball76 (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 105 nineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enough

Thanks. I just don't know how to deal with this. Don't have many people to talk to. Thought maybe getting some of it out would help. It kind of does.

Last edited by nineball76; 6 Days Ago at 10:53 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to nineball76 For This Useful Post:
unix_usr (5 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 99 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

You gave her the best love she could have. She knows it.

I lost one big dog in 2011 (kidneys failure) and I had 2 other small ones at that time, I still have one of the small ones.

The big one saved my life in 2010, details I would not want to share. I always felt that I never gave her enough attention but the short times we spent together were always as good as they could be. Long walks and super tight loving hugs, she gave me a lot. Hardly ever complained about anything.

I remember that whenever I brought her food, she would never start to eat until I either left or I told her to start eating. And she was very private when going to bathroom also, she would not poop in front of me or any human when she could avoid it.

It will take time to recover from it, and some extra time to maybe adopt another one eventually, it may help.
Best of luck, and sometimes extending their life may just bring more suffering to both of you, it's tough, I spent her last hours next to her and that may or not be the best for both.

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 10 mrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enough

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I know that my dogs are the most important thing in my life. I'll send some positive thoughts and prayers your way. Just know that you brought so much joy to her life since your rescued her..... That will never be forgotten.
mrichard89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 10 mrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enough

She's a beautiful dog. I know that someday you'll be able rescue another dog, and her memories will live on forever. I lost my dog Jake in 2015, and he was only 5 years old. It didn't seem fair, but I adopted two new dogs a few short months later, and I couldn't imagine life without them.... Keep your head up and keep fighting.
mrichard89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mrichard89 For This Useful Post:
nineball76 (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 52 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

So sorry to read that and know you are both suffering. Our family has a 16 yo Lhasa Apso that is still doing very well but when it's his time to go, I will be absolutely devastated, worse than my 14 yo twins I'm sure. Wish you both the strength to do what's best, which it sounds like you are.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 129 mmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear that...I lost my dog a few years ago, I had to put her down due to illness she was only eight. I stayed with her while the needle went in, and about ten minutes after she was gone. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life, and jaded me to the point that I won't get another dog because I don't want to go through that ever again.

Nothing wrong with using the forum as an outlet to channel your thoughts, or feelings on here. Just because we don't all know each other in person, doesn't mean we're not friends or aqatiences. We all communicate and interact with each other on a Daily/Weekly basis.

There's a few people on here I don't particularly care for on a personal level, and I know that there's some that feel the same way about me, but if they really needed someone to talk to, I wouldn't turn my back on them if they truly needed something.

So if you want to talk or interact with us as don't, you're not alone there's lots of people on here that'll listen. I cal tell you one thing for certain, nobody on here wants to see or hear you doing something silly, or drinking yourself to death. More people care than you might think. Youre not alone, and you do have people to talk too.

I befriended someone on this forum myself when I was going a really tough time, I sold some stuff to him, kept in contact via email/pm on here. Turned out he was going through baptist school to be a minister. I'm not going to say who it is/was they know who they are, and I'll never forget what he did for me. I had friends I've known for Twenty years that had little or no interest in listening to me, or offering advice, or just being there when I needed it.

You can PM me if you need to talk, or ANYONE on this forum can, I wouldn't turn my back on anyone in need or in a crisis situation regardeless or personal feelings. I've had too many Friends/aqatences pull the plug on their life. I don't want to see or hear about anyone ever doing it again. I've in fact reached to several people lately that were in need, and I know those people wouldn't care less if it was me in that situation, but in life you have to give all the love you can, be as selfless as you can. You can't do things and expect something back in return, you help people anyway you can if they need it.

All we truly have to give or accept in Life, is Love.

2016 Civic Turbo Coupe
-Alpine, Arc Audio, Cardas, Hybrid Audio, JL Audio
And a closet full of $hit I'll never use.....
mmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Thanks. I don't think I could ever not be without dogs in my life. There's just too many dogs in this world who need to be loved. I have a huge heart for animals, and can't stand the thought of one going to a bad home.

Old 6 Days Ago   #10

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 50 truckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enough

Animals always find a special place in the owners heart. They're always missed and never forgotten. I had to put down my cat last year and my dog will be lucky if she makes it to the end of this year.

If you're at work or in public wait till later but go read the Rainbow Bridge poem. Makes me sad just thinking about it.
truckguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 24 bilbo6209 will become famous soon enoughbilbo6209 will become famous soon enoughbilbo6209 will become famous soon enoughbilbo6209 will become famous soon enoughbilbo6209 will become famous soon enoughbilbo6209 will become famous soon enough

I am so sorry to hear this about your beautiful pupper!!! We just had to put down a very loved kitty at 7 years old due to heart disease and blood clots. I have lost a few dog in my life and it is never easy, my current dog will be the hardest out of all of them so I understand what you are feeling. It is very clear Chula is VERY loved and i know she would gladly give up her life to help you out of the state you were in! you never want someone to give up something for you but dogs are so filled with unconditional love they would much prefer to help you out anyway they can!

Spend as much time with her as you can, try the CBD oil! We have an old man kitty who we were told his kidneys were basically shut down, we started him on a wholistic kidney support "med" and he is eating more, drinking less, and actually has a pep in his step again! We had him in the vet doe another issue and his kidney levels have actually improved, so just because something isnt a "prescription med" doesnt mean it cant help... No the CBD oil wont be a cure all, and it might not help but it might and might give Chula a little more time to be loved on and spoiled rotten

Treat her like the beauty she is, spoil the crap out of her, hold onto here, love on her... but when its time please make sure you are there with her!!!

bilbo6209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 48 HardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enough

I can relate to your post in several ways. To begin with, my father is a retired long-haul trucker, and my grandfather was before him. I essentially have truck driver DNA, eventhough I don't put it to good use. I also know what it's like to lose a pet to cancer. My cat Chancy who lived to a grand old age of Twenty, passed away from stomach cancer about fifteen years ago. It was absolutely devastating but I got through it. I also had very little warning, so you do at least have some time to spend with your best friend. Spoil her rotten and do your very best to count your blessings. I know in situations such as this, it's only human nature to let the negative things dwell on our minds. Do your best to push your intentions in a positive direction. Instead of seeing the glass as half-empty, try to see it as half-full. If you can do this, and it doesn't take much, you'll find some peace with this situation and in your life. I'll keep you and your pup in my prayers.

Kevin

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
HardCoreDore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 133 I800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of light

Really sorry to hear about that. I'll be praying for both of you. Just make sure you take care of yourself so you can take care of Chula. Beautiful dog

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment.
My '13 Jetta build...not finished
I800C0LLECT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA member

Rep Power: 59 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

I lost my dog as well. I had him for 14 years. I took that dog everywhere. If he wasn't allowed I would refuse to go. He knew the difference between the remotes, my work shoes and play shoes, between pepsi and other canned beverages. Would fetch whatever when I asked. I never walked him on a leash. He would stop at every curb, sit and wait for me to tell him to cross. He wouldn't let anyone he didn't know touch me. He was my daily companion. I was extremely upset when I had him put down. The strange and wonderful thing about dogs is you can love another one again the same. The pain does not stay as it does when we lose our human companions. Just like your dog bounced back after you scolded him the love will bounce back when you get another dog. Don't be devastated. If she has the cancer as you say it may be best for her to move on. I'm sure she has enjoyed every ride with you in the truck. Unlike selfish, egocentric people all dogs need is us.

The best way to dummy proof is to get rid of the dummies
Theslaking is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 207 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not trying to be a downer for you, but please don't put your hope in CBD oil to cure or slow down her cancer. Enjoy your time with her, and try to ease her pain, ok - but don't fall for that and set yourself up even worse.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 67 Lou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enough

sorry you are having to deal with this, it seems to me atlast that most of the time our pets are better friends than our human friends,
Lou Frasier2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 80 Razz2o4 will become famous soon enoughRazz2o4 will become famous soon enoughRazz2o4 will become famous soon enoughRazz2o4 will become famous soon enoughRazz2o4 will become famous soon enoughRazz2o4 will become famous soon enough

I am so sorry to hear. I feel your pain. I feel your pain, as it's one of the worst pains ever. I had an olde English Bulldogge that I lost almost 2 years ago. I came home from work, and the kids had not taken him out, but noticed he had really labored breathing. I took him to the local vet hospital to get him checked, but they didn't see anything until almost 5am. Xray had shown fluid around his heart, but the Dr didn't feel comfortable removing the fluid. She referred me to A hospital almost 2 hrs away, or I could see my normal vet when they opened. Unfortunately he didn't make it to open. That was one of the hardest days of my life. I am truly sorry you are having to deal. Crazy part is, I still miss him like crazy.
This was Toby

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Razz2o4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. As per the CBD comment, I'd ask you to just please stay out of this. No one said anything about it curing anything. But there are many reports of it stopping and reversing tumors in both humans and pets. Dogs have better cannabinoid receptors than humans do. I've been researching cbd long before my puppy was diagnosed. Truth be told, I expected myself to have been given the death sentence first. I'll be giving her cbd and there will never be an inclination of chemo going anywhere near her body. Chemo is poison, set out to destroy the bodies ability to fight off infection. Cancer is a multi billion dollar industry, why would anyone allow a cure for it?

Old 5 Days Ago   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 141 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

One thing I can tell you for sure is that she was happy to be with you all this time, even if t was in a truck. I lost my two German Shepherds too, a year apart.
fcarpio is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to fcarpio For This Useful Post:
nineball76 (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 52 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

I was thinking the same thing. I think she'd be happier with someone she loves, even if for a shorter time than a little longer with someone else she doesn't love. Then again, if she's not around the one she loves, she may not live as long. When I go out of town (consultant), my dog mopes for the first day or so even though the family gives him lots of attention.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dgage For This Useful Post:
nineball76 (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Oh yes. She definitely mopes when I have to leave her at home, even if only for an hour. This next stage of her life will be a little different. She'll be with me everywhere I go. If they don't allow dogs, then they don't need me. You hear that Wal-Mart? Hehe.

I do need to get her some doggy depends. The last 4 nights she's lost control of her bladder in the night. I'm anxious to get her home this weekend. I know she's enjoying Turkey bacon, would like to be able to cook her as much non seasoned food as she'll eat. Break out the foreman grill, lean steaks, chicken, maybe some wild caught fish.

Old 5 Days Ago   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 207 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball76 View Post
Thanks everyone. As per the CBD comment, I'd ask you to just please stay out of this. No one said anything about it curing anything. But there are many reports of it stopping and reversing tumors in both humans and pets. Dogs have better cannabinoid receptors than humans do. I've been researching cbd long before my puppy was diagnosed. Truth be told, I expected myself to have been given the death sentence first. I'll be giving her cbd and there will never be an inclination of chemo going anywhere near her body. Chemo is poison, set out to destroy the bodies ability to fight off infection. Cancer is a multi billion dollar industry, why would anyone allow a cure for it?

Sorry about your dog. Hopefully she'll end up with a smarter human in her next life. Have a great day.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
Old 5 Days Ago   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 43 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRidiot View Post
Sorry about your dog. Hopefully she'll end up with a smarter human in her next life. Have a great day.
Seriously? How do you feel about being a dick when someone is going through some tough times?

My wife was furious when she overheard me saying I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep. 2016 Wrangler 2 Door - Morel MT250 Tweeters - Morel Hybrid MW6 Midbass - Hertz Mille Rear fill- Sundown Zv.4 & SCV-2000D - Arc XDi - Mosconi Pico 2 - MiniDSP - source Fiio X3
DavidRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I was trying to be helpful in advising him not to get too hung up on the hope for the CBD... then he comes up with some bullshit about the medical industry wanting to perpetuate cancer? F*** him and I feel sorry for his dog. Don't ask me to pat the snowflakes on the head if they're too stupid to breathe. I honestly DO feel sorry for his dog. About him, I really couldn't care less any more. I'm not going to be politically correct, I don't need to. We have too much of that already, instead of common freaking sense. Get over it.

Old 5 Days Ago   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
Seriously? How do you feel about being a dick when someone is going through some tough times?
To hell with him. Let him keep smoking the big pharma c*ck. Cbd is proven effective at lessening the pain and loss of appetite. If it wasn't, then why is half the country allowing medicinal marijuana? I guess that's just a hoax? I've asked him to kindly leave his negative opinions at the door. I mean he's seriously trolling such a thread? He's really not worth the reply anymore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement