New Car Audio & E review Hat Clarus C51-2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

142 fastest gun in town

Rep Power: 123 drtool will become famous soon enoughdrtool will become famous soon enoughdrtool will become famous soon enoughdrtool will become famous soon enoughdrtool will become famous soon enoughdrtool will become famous soon enough

Default New Car Audio & E review Hat Clarus C51-2

$470.00 list, best owners manual ever. They liked them. The only thing can not figure out why the 5.25 inch and not the 6 1/2 inch were reviewed. The 6 1/2 being std. size of most doors or am I wrong?

My first car had a tube amp.........1947 Dodge/ Now 87 rolla 350.000 miles just started to break it in.Bought new.4AGE power TEAM UH-OH.Founder of, Ears/Beers and Gun Club. God bless John Wayne and Johnny Cash.
drtool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 142 doitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to doitor

Default Re: New Car Audio & E review Hat Clarus C51-2

Yes, drtool.
The HAT Clarus C51-2 got a great review in the latest issue of CA&E.
I also don't know why the 5 instead of the 6.
And the MSRP is not $470. It's $469.99.

Jorge.

MKV GTI - Sound system in progress....
doitor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

142 fastest gun in town

Rep Power: 123 drtool will become famous soon enoughdrtool will become famous soon enoughdrtool will become famous soon enoughdrtool will become famous soon enoughdrtool will become famous soon enoughdrtool will become famous soon enough

My bad, the nine button sticks on my keyboard.

My first car had a tube amp.........1947 Dodge/ Now 87 rolla 350.000 miles just started to break it in.Bought new.4AGE power TEAM UH-OH.Founder of, Ears/Beers and Gun Club. God bless John Wayne and Johnny Cash.
Old 06-04-2008   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Hybrid Audio Technologies Inc.
Position:
CEO

Rep Power: 148 Scott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but a 5 1/4" set was tested to show A) the merits of the smaller woofer and wanted to compare the smaller woofer to the 'standard' larger woofer usually tested [and it compared extremely well], B) because they had never tested a 5 1/4" set, and C) the Clarus are getting more and more popular with the BMW and Civic owners because there's finally a nice 5 1/4" offering. As the reviewer pointed out, the 6.5" woofer is even better.

Scott
Scott Buwalda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2008   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 335 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

The 6.5 is better in what way??? Just wondering
azngotskills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2008   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 150 Genxx will become famous soon enoughGenxx will become famous soon enoughGenxx will become famous soon enoughGenxx will become famous soon enoughGenxx will become famous soon enoughGenxx will become famous soon enoughGenxx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by azngotskills View Post

Well for starters a 6.5 is bigger than a 5.25.J/K

I cound not resist.

06 F250:Zapco-JL-Pioneer, 99 Prelude:JL-DBX-Pioneer, 02 Honda Civic: 80PRS-Hertz-IDQ-JL, 08 Focus: Kenwood-Hertz-IDQ-Zapco, 05 Dodge1500: Kenwood- Pioneer-ID-Zapco---Team JL, Team MSE, Team RAAMmat, Team Zapco---2009 USACi Basic WC, INAC 2nd, 2010 MECA Finals 4th MODEX, 2010/11 OK State Champ MODEX
Genxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2008   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Position:
CEO

Rep Power: 148 Scott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura aboutScott Buwalda has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by azngotskills View Post
Considerably more Sd. The reviewer only "marked down" for lack of subbass. Otherwise, it was an incredible review that, by my research, was their best component set review in the past several years...and it was a 5 1/4" set comparred to everyone else's 6 1/2" set.

Scott
Old 06-05-2008   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

142 fastest gun in town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Buwalda View Post
Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but a 5 1/4" set was tested to show A) the merits of the smaller woofer and wanted to compare the smaller woofer to the 'standard' larger woofer usually tested [and it compared extremely well], B) because they had never tested a 5 1/4" set, and C) the Clarus are getting more and more popular with the BMW and Civic owners because there's finally a nice 5 1/4" offering. As the reviewer pointed out, the 6.5" woofer is even better.

Scott
Hi Scott,Thanks for clearing that up. In the furture are they going to review your total line up? And can I call dibbs on any used "test speakers" Good luck Wayne.

Old 06-05-2008   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Position:
CEO

There have been two recent reviews: one of the Clarus C51-2 set in Car Audio & Electornics Magazine (July 2008 issue), and one of the Legatia L631-3 set in Talk Audio Magazine (England) (March 2008 issue).

The Clarus review has not yet been posted on the CA&E website, but I did take some excerpts out for my own use. I hope this isn't spam, because it's not intended to be...I am responding to a question. If the mods consider it spam, please delete, or move to the product reviews forum. I pulled these from the news section of the Hybrid Audio Technologies website, and they kinda do sound sale-pitchy...sorry, I can edit if necessary.

Clarus C51-2 review:

In the July 2008 issue of Car Audio & Electronics Magazine, there is a review of the Clarus C51-2 set (5 1/4" component speaker set). The results of the evaluation were glowing.

The highest sound quality score ever achieved, using the new Car Audio & Electronics scoring criteria, went to the Clarus component system. For example, near perfect listening test scores were achieved (9.5 out of 10 on the song "Spanish Harlem" as performed by Rebecca Pidgeon). According to the reviewer, even despite being 5 ¼” midbass, they compared well to competitor’s 6 ½” and 7” component sets! Using a formularized Excel spreadsheet, which subjectively compared the old Car Audio & Electronics scoring criteria to the one adopted relatively recently, it was quickly determined by Hybrid Audio Technologies staff that this was one of the best component sets, if not THE BEST component set reviewed by the magazine in the past several years (as far back as we were able to take our research).

Reader Note: Clarus C51-2 is a $469.99 set of 5 ¼” speakers which was compared to, and found to exceed the performance of 6 ½” and 7” component sets costing literally up to six times as much ($2,000+).

Notable quotes from the reviewer:

"What I found was one of, if not, the best owner's manuals I've ever encountered in my many years in this industry! It is a comprehensive description of the speaker system and a lengthy and very informative tutorial on sound quality system setup in general..."

"To adjust tweeter output, you select between different push terminals (a nice way to do this)...which eliminates the common selector switch that can degrade over time and affect the quality of the connection."

"It was a large sound...other components sets I've auditioned employ a 6.5-inch low frequency driver, so the fact that these diminutive speakers can hold their own against a larger driver is a feat in itself."

"When (Rebecca) Pidgeon's solo vocal starts it's as though she's in the room with me! The image is strong, at eye level, and perfectly centered with a life-like tone. I can even detect the size of the room and there's a feeling of air around the vocalist."

"There's a realistic, sweet sound to the strings...that I've rarely heard from even the most expensive component sets that I've auditioned."

"When (B.B.) King starts singing, his voice is stable and perfectly centered. It has all the rich, soulful character he's famous for and when Lucille (King's guitar) plays, she sounds totally life-like and robust."

"If you and/or your installer completely read the owner's manual that's downloadable for these components, and institute the damping and driver placement recommendations therein, you'll be able to realize the same excellent imaging and staging details these components are capable of producing."

"I wish more speaker manufacturers would take it upon themselves to educate their customers as to proper installation and placement of their products as Hybrid Audio has done."

"After listening to these speakers for literally hours on end, I didn't experience any appreciable listening fatigue."

"From the extremely complete user's manual to the construction and sound of these diminutive drivers, they're a class act by any standard, and they're probably one of the best bargains out there for a retail price of $469.99. It's obvious that the folks at Hybrid Audio did their homework and a lot of research, testing, and listening to perfect this product."

"If you're in the market for a component set for your car audio system, you'll be doing yourself a great disservice if you don't audition these speakers for your application."

We invite you to support our last remaining dedicated car audio publication in the USA, and further, invite you to check out the review of our Clarus C51-2 set!

The Legatia review is indeed on line, and I took the liberty of taking some excerpts out for my own use. Once again, I hope this isn't spam, because it's not intended to be...I am responding to a question. If the mods consider it spam, please delete, or move to the product reviews forum.

Legatia L631-3 Review:

Hybrid Audio Technologies has received word that its Legatia-series L631-3 three-way component set just received the highest honor in the United Kingdom from professional reviewer Adam Rayner: the coveted “State of the Art” award.

We are pleased to announce that Adam’s review of the Legatia L631-3 was glowing, as outlined in his official review:

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/index.php...sk=view&id=308

Adam likened the Legatia L631-3 set, which was supplied to the reviewer in semi-infinite baffle enclosures to replicate in-car conditions, to the sound of “a pair of hifi enclosures.” Adam went on to say “I could hear brushed cymbals in the background I had never heard before…I (could) hear edits and cuts. Hell, I could almost see the bloody faders in my mind’s eye. So analytical, so sweet, and with pin sharp placement of the instruments. A fabulous speed and rapid rise time for impulse sounds like the leading edge of big thumps. Front and foremost and clean as a whistle.” Then a realization occurred to Adam, as he commented “…these potent, spanky and incredibly high quality and crisp definition loudspeakers are not £1,000 like the JBL set I tested (here) or even £1,400 like the Morel I tried (here) but are £560 plus whatever you want to do with an individually designed passive or else six channels of super clean amplification…all of which adds up to an unbeatable-at-the-money package of truly fabulous speakers.”

The unprecedented review of the Legatia L631-3 was concluded with the component speaker system being awarded the second-ever “State of the Art” award, and a 9.6 out of 10 ranking (the first State of the Art award went to a CD source unit, making this the first speaker system in Talk Audio history to achieve this coveted award). Many speaker systems have been tested before, but Legatia is the first to achieve “State of the Art.”
Old 06-05-2008   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 126 jonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enoughjonnyanalog will become famous soon enough

the Clarus comps will be what I replace my DLS comps with by the end of the year..... i think.
jonnyanalog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement