LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 105 slow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enoughslow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enoughslow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enoughslow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enoughslow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enoughslow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enough

Default hit by a semi

I was side swiped by a semi truck last Friday and it nearly totaled my truck. I had the cops come out to make a report and they put him at fault but didn't write any tickets. Just today I got a call from what I thought was the truck drivers company offering to have a free chiropractic visit to make sure I was ok and since my neck has been hurting a little I gave it a shot and went. Well it didn't take me to long to figure out they were ambulance chasers that had gotten my police report and were really trying to encourage me to sue the company. They then offered me some papers to sign which I declined at which point I left.

I would be interested in a settlement if it didn't put the truck driver out of a job. I just can't destroy someone else's life for my own personal gain. What would you guys do in my position?

-----------------------------------------------
Eclipse 8445

Arc Audio 2050XXK
Cadence Z8000
Hifonics ZX7500
Rockford Fosgate 1001BD

CDt DRt-26A tweetrs
4.5" Scan Speak Revelators
CDt ES-07's
2 12" RF Punch Hx2's

def need a 4 way active processor/crossover
-------------------------------------------------
slow2.2sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Default Re: hit by a semi

It is on his record once the cop comes

That is what will cost him his job

Attorneys are happy when two people aren't
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 168 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it would depend on the circumstances.

1st thing I would do is report the ambulance chasers who approached you under false pretenses. If they were in the medical field, they should have boards of licensure they are supervised by, and if they are in the legal field, the state bar should know about their unethical behavior.

As for the accident, if you're genuinely hurt, then the guy's insurance should take care of ALL of your medical bills, your truck, your lost wages and a reasonable amount for pain & suffering. If you're asking should you milk it, then I wouldn't want to encourage that.

The problem is that too many people today see something like this as a payday and the 'reasonable' portion gets thrown out the window.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #4

Banned

Rep Power: 0 quest51210 will become famous soon enoughquest51210 will become famous soon enoughquest51210 will become famous soon enoughquest51210 will become famous soon enoughquest51210 will become famous soon enoughquest51210 will become famous soon enough

dude, i feel you here. i posted about this awhile back being one of my biggest fears. god bless your heart man, i am sure it jumped out your chest.
quest51210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #5

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 105 slow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enoughslow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enoughslow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enoughslow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enoughslow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enoughslow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRidiot View Post
The problem is that too many people today see something like this as a payday and the 'reasonable' portion gets thrown out the window.

I agree totally. Considering they wanted 33% of the settlement the whole reasonable part is gone even if I win something.

To be honest I could use money for college but destroying someones life for my own gain is just plain wrong.

Eclipse 8445

Arc Audio 2050XXK
Cadence Z8000
Hifonics ZX7500
Rockford Fosgate 1001BD

CDt DRt-26A tweetrs
CDt ES-07's
2 12" RF Punch Hx2's

Old 08-06-2008   #6

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 87 rockondon will become famous soon enoughrockondon will become famous soon enoughrockondon will become famous soon enoughrockondon will become famous soon enoughrockondon will become famous soon enoughrockondon will become famous soon enough

Without knowing details... I wouldn't worry about his job. That is out of your hands. If he is a repeat offender ,he shouldn't be doing a job that has a high degree of accountability. Driving anything is serious. More-so if the person driving has a chance to hurt or kill a lot of people.

Be real sure of your injury's. Maybe go see your own doctor for a check-up. Go from there.

Replacement value of a vehicle me be higher than you think. Know yours well. Before the truck company tries to settle. They want out as cheap as possible. While they may have attorneys to handle this. They know the price tag can get pretty high if going to court.

Assuming no permanent injurys ,add the doctor bills up ,the truck replacement cost and expect a 2 to 5 thousand on top minimum for shit you might not think of right now. Like pain and suffering.

PS... Its great you think about his job. And i do drive a rig ,for near 20yrs. As a citizen i don't want incompetent people driving anything period. Double for big-rigs.
And like i said. His job i already out of your hands. Worry about you.

G/L Hope it works out well.

Last edited by rockondon; 08-07-2008 at 06:13 AM..
rockondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 167 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

driving a semi is serious chit, if the guy hit you with it he isnt a good enough driver to be behind the wheel.

imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #8

Banned

Rep Power: 0 quest51210 will become famous soon enoughquest51210 will become famous soon enoughquest51210 will become famous soon enoughquest51210 will become famous soon enoughquest51210 will become famous soon enoughquest51210 will become famous soon enough

for the record, you can get treatment and care but do not sign over any release to view your past medical history. they will find out you fell off your bike when you were 4 and say it was a pre-existing condition.
quest51210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 104 dogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRidiot View Post
I guess it would depend on the circumstances.

1st thing I would do is report the ambulance chasers who approached you under false pretenses. If they were in the medical field, they should have boards of licensure they are supervised by, and if they are in the legal field, the state bar should know about their unethical behavior.

As for the accident, if you're genuinely hurt, then the guy's insurance should take care of ALL of your medical bills, your truck, your lost wages and a reasonable amount for pain & suffering. If you're asking should you milk it, then I wouldn't want to encourage that.

Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ndown View Post
driving a semi is serious chit, if the guy hit you with it he isnt a good enough driver to be behind the wheel.

imo.
I can see this side of it too, but without knowing the circumstances causing the accident it's tough for me to call it black or white.
My brother and uncle are both truckers and both admit that shit happens, but they share the opinion that, if you caused it to happen it's time to take a couple years off the road.
dogstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 100 Bluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enoughBluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enoughBluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enoughBluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enoughBluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enoughBluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enough

I got rear ended by a big rig, many years ago. Ruined a brand new car, messed up my back.Long haul driver cited for bad brakes, bald tires yada yada yada.
I was a schmuck and did not receive any compensation I also got reamed by my insurance company although how could I blame them for not wanting to replace a car thats a couple months old. Big regret, I was young and ignorant.
Advice- don't be a schmuck like I was.
Bluto Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #11

DIYMA Novice

I went to a chiropractor and he said I have obvius whiplash which explains my recent head aches/neck pains. They totalled my truck and now I'm trying to find a new car before I go to school in 2 weeks. I get free legal representation from my school so I'm going to ask them some questions. The accident was completely his fault and it seems everyone says I should get a settlement. If it was his first accident in a few years then I'll be understanding, but if he has had multiple accidents I'll look into a settlement.

Eclipse 8445

Arc Audio 2050XXK
Cadence Z8000
Hifonics ZX7500
Rockford Fosgate 1001BD

CDt DRt-26A tweetrs
CDt ES-07's
2 12" RF Punch Hx2's

Old 08-09-2008   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 167 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

least you want is

$$ for a replacement vehicle of equal value,

$$ for any chiropractic / medical expenses for injury resulting from him hitting you

$$ for inconvinience of all the hassle you have to go thru

vehicle$+medical$+hassle$=$$$?

his insurance company will mess you around until you give up

dont give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 114 skibum will become famous soon enoughskibum will become famous soon enoughskibum will become famous soon enoughskibum will become famous soon enoughskibum will become famous soon enoughskibum will become famous soon enough

I`m just happy to read some others on here don`t like the way people sue just for monetary gain. Get what you have to have for your vehicle, lost wages, medical bills etc. Nothing more, nothing less. People that sue are one of the major reasons why insurance is sky high nowadays. Do what is right and be able to sleep nights and live with your self.

09 Avalanche ltz, keeping it stock.
skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 100 Bluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enoughBluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enoughBluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enoughBluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enoughBluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enoughBluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
I`m just happy to read some others on here don`t like the way people sue just for monetary gain. Get what you have to have for your vehicle, lost wages, medical bills etc. Nothing more, nothing less. People that sue are one of the major reasons why insurance is sky high nowadays. Do what is right and be able to sleep nights and live with your self.
Exactly. But on the other hand don't be a schmuck.
Bluto Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 98 fatherfish will become famous soon enoughfatherfish will become famous soon enoughfatherfish will become famous soon enoughfatherfish will become famous soon enoughfatherfish will become famous soon enoughfatherfish will become famous soon enough

About 10 years ago I got rear-ended by a semi while turning left. I was hit hard enough to roll 1 1/4 times comeing to rest driver side faceing up. The best part is I was driveing a 3,000 gallon fuel truck.

The semi was owned by KRAFT foods and I had lots of people encourageing me to file a suit, which I coul've easily won. I didn't. I told the KRAFT reps as long as my hospital bill and time off were paid for I considered us square. I refused to file a law suit because I felt I was treated fairly. I think the only reason to file a lawsuit is if someone is not takeing responsibility for damages caused.

Happy Listening,
Jim
fatherfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

That's What She Said

12V Company:
Honky Mo Fo Audio
Position:
H.C.I.C. - Head Cracker In Charge

Rep Power: 108 chithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura about

Working in the transportation industry, I can tell you that this is the reason insurance rates are so high for trucking companies. They have to be covered for anything that could happen, and their insurance does usually pay for everything.
Now I can also say that on top of the price of fuel, another reason so many drivers are finding other professions is that they can't afford the insurance anymore due to people trying to get "welfare" as I call it from the trucking company. We actually had a lady stopped at a light in front of one of our trucks and then back up into it. She of course called 911 and claimed he rear-ended her. We keep cameras in all the trucks and quick thinking on the driver's part, he got out and snapped pictures of her car stuck in the grille with the reverse lights on. Of course she claimed all sorts of medical problems right away and came after us for a monetary settlement, but it was thrown out in court due to those photos.
I always say treat it like you would if it was a car to car accident. Obviously the driver that hit you was at fault, so the company's insurance will cover your expenses (just like a normal auto insurance company). If it had been a minor accident then the deductible might not have been met, and then you would have issues because the company would have to pay out of pocket (most trucking companies have about a $10,000 deductible for an accident). He has probably already been terminated as many employers have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to something like this.
I guess what I am saying is you definitely deserve compensation for your truck and medical costs, but if you are looking for "welfare", then I think most everyone would frown upon that decision.
Good luck with everything and I'm sorry to hear about you and your truck.
chithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 124 kevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2.2sonoma View Post
I was side swiped by a semi truck last Friday and it nearly totaled my truck. I had the cops come out to make a report and they put him at fault but didn't write any tickets. Just today I got a call from what I thought was the truck drivers company offering to have a free chiropractic visit to make sure I was ok and since my neck has been hurting a little I gave it a shot and went. Well it didn't take me to long to figure out they were ambulance chasers that had gotten my police report and were really trying to encourage me to sue the company. They then offered me some papers to sign which I declined at which point I left.

I would be interested in a settlement if it didn't put the truck driver out of a job. I just can't destroy someone else's life for my own personal gain. What would you guys do in my position?
Sorry for your trouble. I've seen you mention chiropractors twice, but have you been checked out by a M.D. yet? If not, you should have yourself examined both for your own safety and also the documentation required for any potential compensation.

"Drugs won't change you. Religion won't change you. What's the matter with you?"
kevin k. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #18

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 86 steve4134 will become famous soon enoughsteve4134 will become famous soon enoughsteve4134 will become famous soon enoughsteve4134 will become famous soon enoughsteve4134 will become famous soon enoughsteve4134 will become famous soon enough

Yea why the hell are you wasting time on the board when you should be seeing a Dr ? And most lawyers take a third of your settlement so that isnt anything strange. But your vechile is tottaled ??? Why are you even waiting to contact your insurence company and the drivers ? How old are you ?

Steve
steve4134 is offline   Reply With Quote