View Poll Results: Do you blow out/pump up your ears, when you blow your nose?
Yes 14 87.50%
No 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 257 Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond repute

Default When you blow your nose, do you blow out your ears too?

So I've been sick with a cold for the past few days...

Blowing my nose a lot...

Every time I blow my nose, in one or both ears, it feels like I'm pumping them up... A loud screech or crackle if you will.. Then I have to try and equalize the pressure...

Does this happen to others? Should I be worried?

It's happened for as long as I can remember..

Thanks..

Quote:
The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections. - Narrator: Idiocracy
Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009   #2
ogg

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 90 ogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enough

Default Re: When you blow your nose, do you blow out your ears too?

Yes, in my right ear. It' not a good thing. I try not to blow hard enough to make it happen but it does anyway.
ogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009   #3

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 0 mjgonegm can only hope to improvemjgonegm can only hope to improvemjgonegm can only hope to improvemjgonegm can only hope to improvemjgonegm can only hope to improve

Yeah.......Nothing coms out.....I think
mjgonegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 81 trevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enough

This is totally normal. Your middle ear is connected to your nasopharynx (back part of your nose) by the eustachian tube. This is what allows you to equalize pressure between the middle ear and outer ear which are sealed from one another by the tympanic membrane. When you blow your nose you are increasing the pressure in your nasopharynx which equalizes with your middle ear causing the sensation you describe. It will happen in varying degrees to different people as individuals have varying anatomic size/shape/location of this eustachian tube. Theoretically, if you are prone to this ear popping, you have more compliant eustachian tubes and they may be more prone to allowing bacteria into your middle ear thus predisposing you to a higher incidence of middle ear infections. However, if your ear easily clears and you do not have problems with pain, decreased hearing, or dizziness then you should be a-ok.

Edit:

Image will help

Edit 2:

Nerd alert here, sorry if TMI.

-Trevor

trevordj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009   #5

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 106 savagebee will become famous soon enoughsavagebee will become famous soon enoughsavagebee will become famous soon enoughsavagebee will become famous soon enoughsavagebee will become famous soon enoughsavagebee will become famous soon enough

well, Im sorry to inform you, but this means you have the swine flu

prepare yourself and loved ones.

/\Eclipse 8443><2xCadence 30 Band EQ/\/\ 2xUS Acoustics 2080><Tang Band Bamboo w3/\/\2xUS Acoustics 2150><Dayton RS225/\
/\Elemental Designs 9.1><Elemental Designs 19Ov.2/\
savagebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 101 BoostedNihilist is a name known to allBoostedNihilist is a name known to allBoostedNihilist is a name known to allBoostedNihilist is a name known to allBoostedNihilist is a name known to allBoostedNihilist is a name known to allBoostedNihilist is a name known to allBoostedNihilist is a name known to allBoostedNihilist is a name known to allBoostedNihilist is a name known to allBoostedNihilist is a name known to all

this technique is used when scuba diving so the outside pressure does not blow in your drum.

Valsalva maneuver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
BoostedNihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009   #7

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 80 SoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedNihilist View Post
this technique is used when scuba diving so the outside pressure does not blow in your drum.

Valsalva maneuver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Technique could also be used when elevating to higher altitudes, such as flying and mountain climbing.
SoundChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 82 shadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enough

It is recommended that when you are blowing your nose hard, blow ONE nostril at a time to minimize the pressure going to your ear drums. Doing it too much, too long, or too hard can actually damage your ears, and also:

"Avoid blowing your nose too hard. Too much pressure will force infectious drainage into your ears and sinuses."

NYtimes even says it may make colds worse:

"Blowing your nose to alleviate stuffiness may be second nature, but some people argue it does no good, reversing the flow of mucus into the sinuses and slowing the drainage.

Counterintuitive, perhaps, but research shows it to be true.

To test the notion, Dr. J. Owen Hendley and other pediatric infectious disease researchers at the University of Virginia conducted CT scans and other measurements as subjects coughed, sneezed and blew their noses. In some cases, the subjects had an opaque dye dripped into their rear nasal cavities.

Coughing and sneezing generated little if any pressure in the nasal cavities. But nose blowing generated enormous pressure — “equivalent to a person’s diastolic blood pressure reading,” Dr. Hendley said — and propelled mucus into the sinuses every time. Dr. Hendley said it was unclear whether this was harmful, but added that during sickness it could shoot viruses or bacteria into the sinuses, and possibly cause further infection.

The proper method is to blow one nostril at a time and to take decongestants, said Dr. Anil Kumar Lalwani, chairman of the department of otolaryngology at the New York University Langone Medical Center. This prevents a buildup of excess pressure."

Pioneer PREMIER
Zed/Arc/Diamond ~ Seas\Peerless\DIYMA12

Last edited by shadowfactory; 09-26-2009 at 03:14 PM..
shadowfactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 107 audioman42 is on a distinguished roadaudioman42 is on a distinguished roadaudioman42 is on a distinguished roadaudioman42 is on a distinguished roadaudioman42 is on a distinguished road

only if i blow really hard.

no homo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
if you can't get a 2 way to sound good then a 3 way will rape your mother
audioman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 257 Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys for the funny AND the informed replies...

Quote:
The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections. - Narrator: Idiocracy
Old 09-27-2009   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

CRIPPLED HILLBILLY

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 195 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

One time when I was really sick there was a point where I was able to breath through my ears. Seriously, both eardrums had perforated or something. I also get AT LEAST one ear infection per year. The last 2 got me on both sides of the eardrum and it hurt like hell.

11 Ram Quadcab HEMI...Stock Headunit...(2)Mini dsp 2x4...Mosconi One 120.4...Alpine pdx5...Scanspeak Discovery 2" and 7"...Pioneer TS-W310S4 12" sealed
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

Create a new enthusiast.

12V Company:
Imagine Audio

Rep Power: 111 WRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to WRX/Z28

every once in a while, I have to plug my nose, and pretend like i'm blowing it to "pop" my left ear. My hearing isn't the same until I do that...

To correct for Subwoofery's edited Lycan quote in his signature.Here is the actual Lycan quote UNEDITED: "I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same. I can pull two amps from the same damn production line, and set their gains or crossovers different, and i promise they WILL sound different. It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this."
WRX/Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 BigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond repute

This only happens if your ear drum in not acoustically dampened properly. I would recommend coating your ear drums with at least one layer of Damplifier Pro, followed by a coat of Spectrum Sludge, and finally stuffing your ear canal with Overkill Pro.

(I'm not a paid spokesperson, although corporate donations are appreciated)
BigAl205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 85 freemind will become famous soon enoughfreemind will become famous soon enoughfreemind will become famous soon enoughfreemind will become famous soon enoughfreemind will become famous soon enoughfreemind will become famous soon enough

No my ears don't.

But, I fart from time to time.

Am I going to hell?

Last edited by freemind; 09-27-2009 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: i
freemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 107 audioman42 is on a distinguished roadaudioman42 is on a distinguished roadaudioman42 is on a distinguished roadaudioman42 is on a distinguished roadaudioman42 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
...and finally stuffing your ear canal with Overkill Pro.
lol, you just put yourself on ant's naughty list

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
if you can't get a 2 way to sound good then a 3 way will rape your mother
audioman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemind View Post
No my ears don't.

But, I fart from time to time.

Am I going to hell?
Not possible, girls don't fart, we all know that... They poot flowers and puppydogs.. lol..

Quote:
Old 09-29-2009   #17

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 85 JediMentality will become famous soon enoughJediMentality will become famous soon enoughJediMentality will become famous soon enoughJediMentality will become famous soon enoughJediMentality will become famous soon enoughJediMentality will become famous soon enough

Open your mouth when you blow.

No seriously. Get your mind out of the gutter.
JediMentality is offline   Reply With Quote