LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 62 Vital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enough

Default Is it safe to drive without a sway bar??

So my rear sway bar broke - common thing in 2007+ Altimas according to Nissan's forums but Nissan doesn't seem to give a fukk so no recall.

It's sunday night, everything is closed, tomorrow is Columbus day - everything is closed as well.
I'm all packed for 1,000 trip tomorrow morning and now this sway bar shit happens. I know u can drive around for sometime without out but is it safe to drive 1,000miles at 65-75mph without a sway bar??

Last edited by Vital; 10-10-2010 at 04:52 PM..
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 183 t3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Is it safe to drive without a sway bar??

I certainly would not. Have you at least removed it so the broken ends don't get caught on something?
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #3

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 62 Vital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
I certainly would not. Have you at least removed it so the broken end doesn't get caught on something?
I found out about it from pepboys retard while doing getting my oilchange done. I asked him to remove which he did.... by CUTTING MY STABILIZER BAR which basically holds a sway bar. Apparantly he had a hard time taking the bolt out so cutting endlink (stabilizer bar) seemed like the right thing to do to him.
Here's some pics btw.
And before anyone blames Stillen's sway - don't. There are NUMEROUS complains on NissanClub forum from Altima owners on this same issue. Mostly stock sway bars brake, i think i'm the first one with broken stillen bar.
All brake in the same exact spot thou.

Old 10-10-2010   #4

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 96 Foglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enough

You are perfectly safe to drive without a rear sway bar. Car will understeer quite a bit more. Might feel a little goofy when cornering, like driving a boat.

I'd put the stock one back on though and order a new link.

And you are also the first person who used the word BRAKE when you should have used BREAK. Always see it the other way around.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 90 Austin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura about

So what piece broke? its hard to tell. Was it the small one or the bigger red one? they both look like they were cut, but the small one more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm View Post
I had my 6-channel amp's opamp and power supply upgraded to better quality parts / grades. The SQ turned out fantastic after some burn-in. Resolution was greatly improved with excellent transparency
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stereo Clarity
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 105 ItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enough

The red one is the sway that broke I believe and the endlink is what was cut.

As long as it's not dangling it's fine to drive on. The car will feel a bit funny but it's ok. Just don't drive it like you stole it and you'll be fine. Lots of off road guys don't have any sway bars at all.
ItalynStylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #7

DIYMA Novice

Red is sway bar black is endlink (stabilizer bar)
Old 10-10-2010   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 131 King Nothing will become famous soon enoughKing Nothing will become famous soon enoughKing Nothing will become famous soon enoughKing Nothing will become famous soon enoughKing Nothing will become famous soon enoughKing Nothing will become famous soon enough

perfectly safe with a little more vigilant driving

disgusted..........
King Nothing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Yeah, sure

If it were me I'd load that car down and drive 70 mph up to 95 mph and look for twisty roads

Just think of the cool post you could make

PS take the broken parts with you to place at the scene , just in case you want to sue l8r
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #10

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 0 mjgonegm can only hope to improvemjgonegm can only hope to improvemjgonegm can only hope to improvemjgonegm can only hope to improvemjgonegm can only hope to improve

yeah Just drive slow and don't take corners hard and under steering will be a big issue
mjgonegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 167 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

the break/cut looks very clean to me,

you sure the guy at pepboys wasnt trying to get himself a little work?

if it had 'fatigued' over time, wouldnt there be oxidation in the break/cut?

call me a cynic.

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

anti-sway bar is the red thing in the picture
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 167 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
anti-sway bar is the red thing in the picture
doh!

yea that ^ things worn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 58 mayhem will become famous soon enoughmayhem will become famous soon enoughmayhem will become famous soon enoughmayhem will become famous soon enoughmayhem will become famous soon enoughmayhem will become famous soon enough

You're fine to drive it that way, watch the ramps...the car will not handle as well and if you get to the limit it'll bite you hard.

No replacement for displacement.
mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 156 sqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the rough

Sway bar makes that end of the car lose traction sooner, in a corner. That means the rear of the car will stick better, causing the front to push more. It will under steer more than it did before, roll more too. You can drive it long as nothing is falling off, just stay away from abrupt turns and note it might not like crosswinds as much.

They don't want to fix it? What did they do hire American executives to run the company or what....

Pioneer 880PRS~boston comps/alpine coax on Kappa 4 Z~back to Alpine mrd-m500 v12 on pyle 15s IB
sqshoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 198 cajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond repute

do not drive that car!

replace both stabilizer and sway bars.

perfect excuse to find a rental with unlimited mileage deal and dog that sucker like it was your mother-in-law's...
cajunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #17

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 101 PSYKO_Inc will become famous soon enoughPSYKO_Inc will become famous soon enoughPSYKO_Inc will become famous soon enoughPSYKO_Inc will become famous soon enoughPSYKO_Inc will become famous soon enoughPSYKO_Inc will become famous soon enough

It will be fine to drive. Many cars do not even have rear sway bars from the factory. Also, sway bar and stabilizer bar mean the same thing. The part that got cut was the endlink.

97 Chevy S-10 Ext. Cab 4.3/T56 swap bagged & shaved
CarPC - Peerless CSX 851123 - Blaupunkt VC100 w/passives
Audio system rebuild in progress...
PSYKO_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 357 ryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYKO_Inc View Post
It will be fine to drive. Many cars do not even have rear sway bars from the factory. Also, sway bar and stabilizer bar mean the same thing. The part that got cut was the endlink.
The guy working on it cut the endlink to remove that end of the sway bar...the sway bar itself broke first. Plenty of people chop the endlink in half, especially if it requires an Allen key to fit in the center shaft to hold it while the nut is turned (Honda )...

But yeah...x7 or whatever for driving it as-is...it's just more body roll and understeer. The DX version of my car didn't have a rear sway from the factory and I still see those cars on the road, driving fine

860MP | 5-channel Class D SQ amp | Enigma + Ebony + AE IB15
"Plan for the best, EQ for the rest" - Zaph

ryan s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #19
ogg

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 88 ogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan s View Post
But yeah...x7 or whatever for driving it as-is...it's just more body roll and understeer. The DX version of my car didn't have a rear sway from the factory and I still see those cars on the road, driving fine
It kind of depends on the particular car but he should be fine. Crosswinds might be a bitch, though. My Impreza used to get blown all over the place with the dinky factory sway bar but when I upgraded to a bigger bar it was rock solid.
ogg is offline   Reply With Quote