LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012   #51
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Rep Power: 46 Got-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Best Old School SQ amps to run front stage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobaun View Post
I have 2-3523, and a 3525,3513s left and a3550, need be repaired, but all are crisp clean, and loud.The sq is amazing of this duo-b line.Great amps.I am currently running my Autotek Mean Machine 66hc on my front stage, and a 44 on the rears,at the moment,changingb to Hifonics VII Odin, and VII Vulcan
Is a Hifonics Vulcan VIII anygood? I found a shop near me that has one that is still new never used in mint condition for $100.
Got-Four-Eights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012   #52

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 47 audiobaun will become famous soon enoughaudiobaun will become famous soon enoughaudiobaun will become famous soon enoughaudiobaun will become famous soon enoughaudiobaun will become famous soon enoughaudiobaun will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-Four-Eights View Post
Is a Hifonics Vulcan VIII anygood? I found a shop near me that has one that is still new never used in mint condition for $100.
Id get it.Thats a Zed made amplifier, and is a great series.You can take the Power wire, and the remote wire, tie them together, and ground the amp to - on Car batt post, and the Power and remote to pos post, and it should light up, and is good sign it may be good.Id ask if it has been tested,and if they say no, then tell them youll offer approx 65 lowest,to 80,not knowing if it works or not.Prob take it, than test it at your Car battery.That one has plugs.Id grab it up.VII, and VIII series were the best HF made,and Zed audio made/under rated grossly.
audiobaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012   #53
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Rep Power: 46 Got-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobaun View Post
Id get it.Thats a Zed made amplifier, and is a great series.You can take the Power wire, and the remote wire, tie them together, and ground the amp to - on Car batt post, and the Power and remote to pos post, and it should light up, and is good sign it may be good.Id ask if it has been tested,and if they say no, then tell them youll offer approx 65 lowest,to 80,not knowing if it works or not.Prob take it, than test it at your Car battery.That one has plugs.Id grab it up.VII, and VIII series were the best HF made,and Zed audio made/under rated grossly.
This guy has a test bench in the back he hooked up the audio Art amp I bought from him. He has some oldschool Nakamichi amps.. one looks mint.. some old planet audio.. memphis. etc... an old US Amps but its scratched. The Hifonics Vulcan VIII was MINT.. I may pick it up for the hell of it.
Old 02-04-2012   #54

Banned

Rep Power: 0 zumbo is on a distinguished roadzumbo is on a distinguished roadzumbo is on a distinguished roadzumbo is on a distinguished roadzumbo is on a distinguished road

Linear Power.
zumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012   #55

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 47 audiobaun will become famous soon enoughaudiobaun will become famous soon enoughaudiobaun will become famous soon enoughaudiobaun will become famous soon enoughaudiobaun will become famous soon enoughaudiobaun will become famous soon enough

Talking Re: Best Old School SQ amps to run front stage?

Quote:
This guy has a test bench in the back he hooked up the audio Art amp I bought from him. He has some oldschool Nakamichi amps.. one looks mint.. some old planet audio.. memphis. etc... an old US Amps but its scratched. The Hifonics Vulcan VIII was MINT.. I may pick it up for the hell of it.
All mentioned are fantastic amplifiers by Brand,not knowing the models,but within the late 80s-early 90s were the cream of the crop for most Car audio amplifiers rushing to retrieve the Nameplate to be the best/most powerful ect at that time frame.Setting a footprint!
audiobaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012   #56

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 59 Jonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of light

Audison HR-100
Sony XES M50 (NOT M1 or M3's)
SS Class A 100
Never met an Adcom I didnt like, havent heard them all.....
Alpine Juba 3546
Milbert 230 (I have a love-hate with these)
A/D/S/ PQ or PH (any)
SS D100-200 (Gen I)
McIntosh
Zapco Studio

.....but really if you have any stones at all you will get a pair of the Audison HR 100's. Run 1 mono to each side, you wont be sorry.

~JH
Jonny Hotnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #57

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 114 mfenske will become famous soon enoughmfenske will become famous soon enoughmfenske will become famous soon enoughmfenske will become famous soon enoughmfenske will become famous soon enoughmfenske will become famous soon enough

Can't believe no one mentioned the MTX Thunder amps. I absolutely love them since they look nice and can't be beat for sound.

2013 Sparkling Ruby Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T- OEM Source, Audio Control LC6i, Boston Acoustics RC61 components, MTX Thunder 1004 amplifier, Audiopipe APCL-1501d, JBL GTO1514 IB subwoofer
mfenske is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #58
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenske View Post
Can't believe no one mentioned the MTX Thunder amps. I absolutely love them since they look nice and can't be beat for sound.
The black and gold ones?
Old 02-05-2012   #59

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 fishman007 will become famous soon enoughfishman007 will become famous soon enoughfishman007 will become famous soon enoughfishman007 will become famous soon enoughfishman007 will become famous soon enoughfishman007 will become famous soon enough

Well, i guess they didnt get mentioned because tey arent considered sq equipment. They were nice amps but really werent on the high-end sq level.
fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #60
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman007 View Post
Well, i guess they didnt get mentioned because tey arent considered sq equipment. They were nice amps but really werent on the high-end sq level.
Weren't these designed by PPI Engineers? The Black and Gold MTX amps?
Old 02-05-2012   #61

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 fishman007 will become famous soon enoughfishman007 will become famous soon enoughfishman007 will become famous soon enoughfishman007 will become famous soon enoughfishman007 will become famous soon enoughfishman007 will become famous soon enough

I guess my point is that dis you ever have anybody winning sq competition with mtx? They were great amps full of power. Tma amps are designed by JL but they definitely arent HD or slash series quality
Old 02-05-2012   #62
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
I guess my point is that dis you ever have anybody winning sq competition with mtx? They were great amps full of power. Tma amps are designed by JL but they definitely arent HD or slash series quality
I thought JL purchased Total Audio? Or did they own them from the start? I hear what you are saying though.
Old 02-05-2012   #63

DIYMA freshman

Tma boasts (and has since they were independant) that they are "Designed by JL". I dont know all the business details but they were independant first
Old 02-05-2012   #64
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
Tma boasts (and has since they were independant) that they are "Designed by JL". I dont know all the business details but they were independant first
I heard a system about 3 months ago with all TMA stuff and for what it was I was impressed. Not bad for he price.
Old 02-06-2012   #65
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 99 PPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Weren't these designed by PPI Engineers? The Black and Gold MTX amps?
PPI built the boards for the Red/White Terminator series MTX amps. They did NOT Build the HO series, those were built by MTX alittle later on. As far as I know, PPI wasn't involved with any other series beyond the Terminators.
I think Orion built boards for the BTA (?) series.

Absolutely State Of The Art!
PPI_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #66
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 99 PPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I thought JL purchased Total Audio? Or did they own them from the start? I hear what you are saying though.
I thought they owned them from the start. The TMA stuff was "entry or budget level" right?
J-L probably saw a need for a presence in that segment of the market but, didn't want the J-L name attached directly.

Absolutely State Of The Art!
PPI_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #67
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPI_GUY View Post
I thought they owned them from the start. The TMA stuff was "entry or budget level" right?
J-L probably saw a need for a presence in that segment of the market but, didn't want the J-L name attached directly.
Yeah, that makes sense to me. They actually aren't bad amps. The two I heard were pushing some Hertz energy comps, coax, and 2 W1 subs. Actually sounded pretty good considering the price.

Sorry to take off topic.. Back to Old School Front stage!
Old 02-06-2012   #68
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 59 quietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enough

MMATS sq series... I have the 4070 running my Hats it is AWESOME
quietfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #69

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 81 SUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ_Bronco View Post
Orion HCCA isn't the best choice for comps. If you want somethign along those lines, go with the XTR series.

The PPI art mentioned earlier would do well- tough to beat 150Wx2 in a 14"x9" package.
I hear you. My 1988-vintage Alpine 3539 does 150x2 RMS in a 12"x8" pacakge of clean class A/B Japan-made power. I love them (have 3).
SUX 2BU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #70

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 81 SUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Dee View Post
Some of the best old school amps I've ever heard run front components,are the early to mid 1990's Alpine Japanese made 35xx Series amps. They're bulletproof, and the SQ is amazing!
You bet. I really dig the late-80's models though: 3523/3525/3539. Have 2 of the '23, 3 of the '25 and 3 of the '39. Excellent amps, beautiful simple elegant design and compact size. The 3542 was also very nice. The 3554 I like but they like to make lots of heat.
Old 02-06-2012   #71

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnpt0 View Post
+1 for the 3545. I have three of them. Thinking of selling them to get a Mc4000m though. I might let all of my old school Alpines go. 3 3545's, 2 3558's and a 3546. Just thinking out loud.

Pete
Mmmmmmm your collection = me likey. I have 2 3545's myself but am always looking for more A 3546 would be so cool to add to the herd.
Old 02-06-2012   #72

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 ampaddiction will become famous soon enoughampaddiction will become famous soon enoughampaddiction will become famous soon enoughampaddiction will become famous soon enoughampaddiction will become famous soon enoughampaddiction will become famous soon enough

Mcintosh MC series and not so old school diamond audio D7 series I also like old US amps.
ampaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #73

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 46 Micksh will become famous soon enoughMicksh will become famous soon enoughMicksh will become famous soon enoughMicksh will become famous soon enoughMicksh will become famous soon enoughMicksh will become famous soon enough

It's funny...all the years I ran and/or installed U.S. Amps, I never really thought about them as "SQ" amps...they had just so much brute force it seemed that I never really thought about it. Looking back though, they did sound good. I also liked PPI Arts, Xtant, Zapco, audio Art...
Micksh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #74

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 distantbliss will become famous soon enoughdistantbliss will become famous soon enoughdistantbliss will become famous soon enoughdistantbliss will become famous soon enoughdistantbliss will become famous soon enoughdistantbliss will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampaddiction View Post
Mcintosh MC series and not so old school diamond audio D7 series I also like old US amps.
I have 2 esoteric audio E7152's running my front stage although my comps are running passive for now that'll change soon and see if active will make things shine.
distantbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #75

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 ampaddiction will become famous soon enoughampaddiction will become famous soon enoughampaddiction will become famous soon enoughampaddiction will become famous soon enoughampaddiction will become famous soon enoughampaddiction will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantbliss View Post
I have 2 esoteric audio E7152's running my front stage although my comps are running passive for now that'll change soon and see if active will make things shine.
I am currently working on a rebuild using my D-7402 on the front stage 1 set of components in dash pods which consist of a cadence 5.25 cvlk and a crossfire 2inch tweeter with the crossfire crossovers. the 5.25 is a 3 inch coil mid so they will handle the 400 plus watts each. there is also 2 diamond d3 10" in a center console up front on a US Amps HC-100. Then 4 diamond audio TDX-15s on 4 USA-400. I hope to finish up the Build this week for a show on Sunday.
ampaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote