LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011   #101
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
envisionelec.net
Position:
President

Rep Power: 474 envisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: What 'old school' heatsink is your favorite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron Groog View Post
I'd like to see a modular approach like this, if you could make one amp link directly into the next, taking signal and power from the previous it would be great from an install point of view, could give nice clean lines. If the amps were able to do some processing, even just crossovers LP/BP/HP, too you'd be onto a real winner IMO
That's exactly what it does. I've got a few ideas and drawings. One is a more conventional amp setup with removable end caps and buss bars. The top plates can be replaced with one big cover. Gone would be the days of mismatched "sink links".

The other is less conventional, with a single unit that holds multiple channel 'cards'.

"I am one of the ones who contributes, dude....advice, tech support, design, and whatever. Especially the whatever." - cajunner
envisionelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #102

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 72 SUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enough

Would it be anything like the Carver modular amp system from the late 80s/early 90s?
SUX 2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011   #103
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
envisionelec.net
Position:
President

Rep Power: 474 envisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX 2BU View Post
Would it be anything like the Carver modular amp system from the late 80s/early 90s?
I'm not sure what you're referring to. Was this car audio? I don't remember anything Carver that was modular.

Are you thinking of Crunch with their modular signal processing drawers? Then, no - it is nothing like that.

"I am one of the ones who contributes, dude....advice, tech support, design, and whatever. Especially the whatever." - cajunner
Old 12-19-2011   #104
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 84 The Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by envisionelec View Post
That's exactly what it does. I've got a few ideas and drawings. One is a more conventional amp setup with removable end caps and buss bars. The top plates can be replaced with one big cover. Gone would be the days of mismatched "sink links".

The other is less conventional, with a single unit that holds multiple channel 'cards'.
Look forward to seeing some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
Regardless, I agree with Baron

The Baron Groog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #105
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
envisionelec.net
Position:
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron Groog View Post
Look forward to seeing some!
I wish I could. Unfortunately, I can't bring pictures to public. Just imagine it. We'll have a proof of concept out by summer.

Old 12-24-2011   #106

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
nana/lynden
Position:
mechanic

Rep Power: 34 AKheathen will become famous soon enoughAKheathen will become famous soon enoughAKheathen will become famous soon enoughAKheathen will become famous soon enoughAKheathen will become famous soon enoughAKheathen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPI_GUY View Post
Some of my favorites...

Basic black is always cool.

Angled fins are unusual.

Laid back and anodized electric red. Nice.

lol, i recently pulled one of those terminator 225's out of the cabinet it's been sitting in for a decade in my garage, along with some old poineer gm amps. i remember posting in a thread just like this this summer....hmm..... anywho, i might take a little guff for this, but i'm going to look at this as i did in the 90's, back when i was closer to what the masses might see audio as, though it's hard to say, since i've been in electronics since i was about 12..... anyways, going back to there- thin heat-sink fins, no matter how you purty them up, the ones like linear power, alphasonic, etc uses, just give off a cheap/chinsey vibe when you look at them. i, and most audiophiles and enthusiasts alike, know better, but that is what she speaks. what really catches the eye, is more hefty, durable "piece of heavy equipment" looking case. some examples are- kicker zr.sx.dx milled fins, even the non milled versions, but the milled is way nicer looking. the first directed d-class amps form like 99-'01, rf waffle amps, even the ss amps pulled it off, just barely. if it looks like i can bend the corner of a heatsink with my thumb, well, you know. there are others, that are fin-less, or appear that way, especially the ppi jelly-bean amps, which actually really caught my dilating eye at first glance, oh, and i absolutely can't forget the infamous pg ms (or mps, as i have) amps. first thing i did to that was make a plexi bottom, then argue with myself on which side looks better to mount visible. imo, an amp is a piece of equipment, a goody-power tool,, and should look manly.......
now, on to the sink-linking idea..... waht really gets to me is end caps that will be lost well over 90% of the time, leaving a much less attractive looking amp, especially with rf amps, and sink-links that are near impossible to find, save for someone who wants to rape you on the last remaining ones you can find for that specific sink, since the rest were either tossed or lost. what i do like, is when the case has a bit of an over-hang, though it borders cheap looking, having the end plates recessed. one idea i came up with just now, is to have the connections be made to terminals at the edge of the ocver-hang, basically, if you flipped it, it would almost look like what you see under the cover plate(that always gets lost) of a rf amp from a few years back, before the more recent shiny black case look. kind of what you see with the fuse location. allow the power connections in the center of that side, but the cables go directly sideways, so you can either rout them out, or down, if you rack-mount a set. with linking amos idea, you could have buss-bars, or even make it so jumpers can just be used and made by the end user/installer.
now, sink-linking. i completely agree that most sink-links only look decent at like 15 feet away, if you do a good job, and are hard to come by in no time. now think about your idea for the one-peice linking cover....... what is going to happen to it, and how hard is it going to be to find one in a couple years? what about if you want to split it back up? where are you going to find the individual covers that disappeared? it's a nice idea as an option, i guess i just get tired of trying to peice things together later as a collector, lol. i like when you can just butt them together as-is, with no cosmetic specific parts to loose. hidden linking plates that are not seen would be something that i could build from scratch, and simply mounting end-to end flush would be good as well, just an opinion of mine. i would like to see that you could unbolt the feet, and throw in a peice of metal strap and be linked.
the modualr is an idea that i would also like to see make it this time around. what was referred to was a rare setup, much like you describbed, with the modules to build your own. if i had the funds, one of the first things i would bring back (and they are actually working on it as we speak) is the heathkit projects. if you could make an affordable modular system, with individual channel cards, processing cards, etc, and the cases, then having it take off in the market can be a great thing. i have tons of ideas on this, and there is huge potential to build anything from a 4x50, to xxxxwatt mono all from the same parts/case, etc
AKheathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011   #107
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
envisionelec.net
Position:
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKheathen View Post
lol, i recently pulled one of those terminator 225's out of the cabinet it's been sitting in for a decade in my garage, along with some old poineer gm amps. i remember posting in a thread just like this this summer....hmm..... anywho, i might take a little guff for this, but i'm going to look at this as i did in the 90's, back when i was closer to what the masses might see audio as, though it's hard to say, since i've been in electronics since i was about 12..... anyways, going back to there- thin heat-sink fins, no matter how you purty them up, the ones like linear power, alphasonic, etc uses, just give off a cheap/chinsey vibe when you look at them. i, and most audiophiles and enthusiasts alike, know better, but that is what she speaks. what really catches the eye, is more hefty, durable "piece of heavy equipment" looking case. some examples are- kicker zr.sx.dx milled fins, even the non milled versions, but the milled is way nicer looking. the first directed d-class amps form like 99-'01, rf waffle amps, even the ss amps pulled it off, just barely. if it looks like i can bend the corner of a heatsink with my thumb, well, you know. there are others, that are fin-less, or appear that way, especially the ppi jelly-bean amps, which actually really caught my dilating eye at first glance, oh, and i absolutely can't forget the infamous pg ms (or mps, as i have) amps. first thing i did to that was make a plexi bottom, then argue with myself on which side looks better to mount visible. imo, an amp is a piece of equipment, a goody-power tool,, and should look manly.......
now, on to the sink-linking idea..... waht really gets to me is end caps that will be lost well over 90% of the time, leaving a much less attractive looking amp.

The modualr is an idea that i would also like to see make it this time around. what was referred to was a rare setup, much like you describbed, with the modules to build your own. if i had the funds, one of the first things i would bring back (and they are actually working on it as we speak) is the heathkit projects. if you could make an affordable modular system, with individual channel cards, processing cards, etc, and the cases, then having it take off in the market can be a great thing. i have tons of ideas on this, and there is huge potential to build anything from a 4x50, to xxxxwatt mono all from the same parts/case, etc
That's the case with my amp design. There are no end caps to lose, no removable hardware and you can't lose the power connector, because it's connected to the PCB. Even if you damage the connector, your friendly machine shop can make a new one for you. Imagine that - a company that gives you dimensioned drawings to make your customization work for you. Fins are good for heat dissipation, but amps don't need fins - they just need to be built to dissipate heat.

I can't say that I'd sell it as a DIY kit - there is a lot of risk involved with that. People aren't willing to put up with the kit models (which is why Heathkit failed and will probably fail again) because it requires patience and common sense. These are two things that most people these days don't have - or don't have time to learn.

My amp has 12, 100W modules that can be paralleled - or used as 100W x 12. Or anything in between. I developed and documented this idea many years ago. I'm building a proof of concept this year so people can eyeball it. We might even let some diehards beta-test it.

Old 12-25-2011   #108

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 ellocojorge will become famous soon enoughellocojorge will become famous soon enoughellocojorge will become famous soon enoughellocojorge will become famous soon enoughellocojorge will become famous soon enoughellocojorge will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That's the case with my amp design. There are no end caps to lose, no removable hardware and you can't lose the power connector, because it's connected to the PCB. Even if you damage the connector, your friendly machine shop can make a new one for you. Imagine that - a company that gives you dimensioned drawings to make your customization work for you. Fins are good for heat dissipation, but amps don't need fins - they just need to be built to dissipate heat.

I can't say that I'd sell it as a DIY kit - there is a lot of risk involved with that. People aren't willing to put up with the kit models (which is why Heathkit failed and will probably fail again) because it requires patience and common sense. These are two things that most people these days don't have - or don't have time to learn.

My amp has 12, 100W modules that can be paralleled - or used as 100W x 12. Or anything in between. I developed and documented this idea many years ago. I'm building a proof of concept this year so people can eyeball it. We might even let some diehards beta-test it.
And what would be a target price range

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk
ellocojorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011   #109
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
envisionelec.net
Position:
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellocojorge View Post
And what would be a target price range

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk
Man, we're still in development. Target prices come out when we figure out how much it costs to make it. LOL.

Old 12-27-2011   #110
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 84 The Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Excellent idea.

Quote:
Yup, work in retail and you'll quickly realise the average (car audio) consumer has less between his ears then you have between your toes

Quote:
I'll PM my mailing address

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
Regardless, I agree with Baron

The Baron Groog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #111

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 raulgz will become famous soon enoughraulgz will become famous soon enoughraulgz will become famous soon enoughraulgz will become famous soon enoughraulgz will become famous soon enoughraulgz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If you were looking for an "old school" amp - would it have to look like an older brand, as well?
-I like very much the design and the great work of this heatsinks like RF BBQ (1996), RF Punch (1992).
-Don´t like the desing but makes great work for heat dissipation H/K CA260, Sinfoni Dessiderio (New School).
raulgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #112
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 94 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

I've always loved extruded designs. My favorite for years had been the Sony XM like from the early 90's (XM-4040, XM-10020). I wish they had a higher power "sub" amp version. I'm contemplating picking up another 10020 and swapping the guts out of something with more balls so all of my amps will match.

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #113

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 30 OLDSCHOOLAUDIONUT will become famous soon enoughOLDSCHOOLAUDIONUT will become famous soon enoughOLDSCHOOLAUDIONUT will become famous soon enoughOLDSCHOOLAUDIONUT will become famous soon enoughOLDSCHOOLAUDIONUT will become famous soon enoughOLDSCHOOLAUDIONUT will become famous soon enough

To me a traditional "oldschool" heatsink looks like a Orion,PPI,linear power,zapco,phoenix gold,audio art.Depends how "oldschool" or retro you are talking or or as oldschool as a PPI ART SERIES or ESOTERIC that a smoother sink?Or a combination half breed like a P.G. outlaw or route 66?throwin some out there..
Thanks!
OLDSCHOOLAUDIONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #114

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 36 Wes@MotoIQ will become famous soon enoughWes@MotoIQ will become famous soon enoughWes@MotoIQ will become famous soon enoughWes@MotoIQ will become famous soon enoughWes@MotoIQ will become famous soon enoughWes@MotoIQ will become famous soon enough

My favorite FINNED heatsink designs:
Original KICKER amps #1
Soundstream #2
Phoenix Gold MP/MPS series #3
MTX Blue Thunder #4

My favorite NON-FINNED heatsink designs:
PPI Art Series (all time favorite amp design)
Phoenix Gold ZPA 0.5
Original Xtant Designs

McIntosh because they fit in to both of the above categories and are just pure sex. They need to be metered of course...

As soon as the internal heat producing components are attached to the outer case where it can transfer heat it becomes a heatsink.. This of course whether it has fins or not.
Wes@MotoIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #115

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 32 marvnmars will become famous soon enoughmarvnmars will become famous soon enoughmarvnmars will become famous soon enoughmarvnmars will become famous soon enoughmarvnmars will become famous soon enoughmarvnmars will become famous soon enough

looks standpoint, the monolithic is just plain sexy, the linear and 1st gen punch had a great look/performance, the h/k ca-260 was too almost too big, but it looked soo mean. real world today, the jl hd, alpine pdx, and massive n series ampsare imo the easiest to mount stack, conserve space, and still sound decent. it is no secret that you can get great power out of a class d for sub use, however imo class a/b is better for mids/highs. a/b needs more room to breath (ie... cooling) and is not as easy to tuck away out of sight for a stealth system or even display with out some type of cooling aid.
in a perfect wold i would pay $300 for a 4 chan 4ohm amp with built in active crossover and processing section that will match any sources line level with out adjustment and $300 for a similar sub amp that will work down to a 2 or 1 ohm load, that are stackable and/or can be linked end to end, all while requiring a power wire no larger then 4 ga with a built in extra 4 ga. connection on each amp to eliminate the need for distro blocks.. this is my world view and no one elses.
marvnmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #116

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 30 adamtwo4 will become famous soon enoughadamtwo4 will become famous soon enoughadamtwo4 will become famous soon enoughadamtwo4 will become famous soon enoughadamtwo4 will become famous soon enoughadamtwo4 will become famous soon enough

Definitely Soundstream. Every time I see those blue fins, with all the connections on one side, I can't help but think "Classy".
adamtwo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #117

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 38 Vanlan will become famous soon enoughVanlan will become famous soon enoughVanlan will become famous soon enoughVanlan will become famous soon enoughVanlan will become famous soon enoughVanlan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtwo4 View Post
Definitely Soundstream. Every time I see those blue fins, with all the connections on one side, I can't help but think "Classy".
I don't know a ton about os SS, but i've seen some D100's and D200's and I love the looks. just very functional, clean, and simple.

Alpine 9815 - Massive RK6 Comps - Eclipse PA5422
AA Avalanche 12" - JBL BP1200.1
Vanlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #118

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 50 Dubstep is on a distinguished roadDubstep is on a distinguished roadDubstep is on a distinguished roadDubstep is on a distinguished roadDubstep is on a distinguished road

my fav's in order:

Orion NT100-200 & XTR100-200
Phoenix Gold ZPA .3 .5
Esoteric Audio E7 series & DA D7's
Adcom
2100 HCCA
2250 Beast
275r
Phaze Linear Mod amps
US Amps
Dubstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #119

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 55 WhiteLX will become famous soon enoughWhiteLX will become famous soon enoughWhiteLX will become famous soon enoughWhiteLX will become famous soon enoughWhiteLX will become famous soon enoughWhiteLX will become famous soon enough

Zapco studio, soundstream reference/rubicon, ppi art and power class, Phoenix gold m, ms, and original sapphire and old sony gold amps (es and non es)

I love old school equipment
1992 Mustang 5.0 notchback, 1986 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Mercedes 560 SEC
WhiteLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #120

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 11.50fox will become famous soon enough11.50fox will become famous soon enough11.50fox will become famous soon enough11.50fox will become famous soon enough11.50fox will become famous soon enough11.50fox will become famous soon enough

WHITE ZAPCO STUDIOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11.50fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #121

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 57 mosconiac will become famous soon enoughmosconiac will become famous soon enoughmosconiac will become famous soon enoughmosconiac will become famous soon enoughmosconiac will become famous soon enoughmosconiac will become famous soon enough

These make me weak in the knees...

mosconiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #122

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 42 Old Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosconiac View Post
These make me weak in the knees...

That is too many MC300s for one person to have. You should definitely sell one to me!
Old Skewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #123
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 101 TrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to all

The new and improved Linear power heatsinks look pretty much bullet-proof. Just look how much thicker the heatsink got (even the mounting feet, extended 1/8 each side and thicken by 1/16). No more broken mounting feet or bent fins.

The fins also were made thicker.

Old/Original heatsink below just to give you an idea of how much thicker the new heatsink got.

Contact Ray/TIPS for more info.

"I inhaled frequently, that was the point."
TrickyRicky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #124
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
envisionelec.net
Position:
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyRicky View Post
The new and improved Linear power heatsinks look pretty much bullet-proof.
Wow. Those are beefy. I like the massive heat spreader.

Old 03-27-2012   #125
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
envisionelec.net
Position:
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.50fox View Post
WHITE ZAPCO STUDIOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just repaired a Studio 300X. Very nice, powerful amplifier.