Old school install thread - Page 18 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013   #426
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 82 StockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Old school install thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkySlim View Post
? As strong as the orion or not? What did you like about the Orion beasts and or the PA's?
Powering the 8w6's: Less power and less control than the Beast.
Powering the CDT ES620 Golds: Less detail than the 2150SX.

The more I listen, the more I want to put my Orions back in. Or try out some Phoenix Gold MS/MPS. And I'm not saying the Quakes aren't good. These are excellent amps by anyone's standards. I think the biggest benefit for me is the fact that these amps generate zero noise. Seemed like I was always trying to track down noise when I used my Orion or Hifonics VIII amps. My ears are a little OCD, so that's probably why I haven't pulled these yet.
StockA4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013   #427

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 MCLSOUND is on a distinguished roadMCLSOUND is on a distinguished roadMCLSOUND is on a distinguished roadMCLSOUND is on a distinguished roadMCLSOUND is on a distinguished road

Thats because the orions have seeked out your system noise with super detail? ??? LOL
MCLSOUND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013   #428
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 82 StockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enough

Noise. As in when I step on the gas.

And with my Orions, it wasn't all the time either. I replaced all of my wiring, made new (and better) grounds, and everything I ran had been completely overhauled. Drove me nuts.

Last edited by StockA4; 08-29-2013 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: Because the Canuck is clowning me.
StockA4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013   #429

Importer / Exporter

Rep Power: 5000 imjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond reputeimjustjason has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't seen these before. Cool stuff, about as old school as it gets.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I have seen this one, but included it, because... Boston.

+ YouTube Video
imjustjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013   #430
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 113 SUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enough

^ It would be sol cool to see Wayne take the Terminator out again and YouTube it or something after all of these years. The investment into that thing back in 80's and 90's dollars was ridiculous. I wonder too if he still has Eruption or did he sell that?
SUX 2BU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013   #431
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 121 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

I don't think Wayne still owns the Terminator. I could be wrong though.

Nick
oısɹǝʌǝɹ :ɐʇɐqoɹd snʇɹıʌ
Now stripped out
n_olympios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013   #432

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 47 oldschoolbeats will become famous soon enougholdschoolbeats will become famous soon enougholdschoolbeats will become famous soon enougholdschoolbeats will become famous soon enougholdschoolbeats will become famous soon enougholdschoolbeats will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAbington View Post

I know this was up a while back in somebodys world finals pictures but I freaked out when I saw this car!

This was built by Stereo West in Omaha, It was the first car to ever beat Frank Rogeaux's CRX and was THE car that got me interested in car audio.

I spent so much time listening to this car in my late teens.

They rebuilt it about 10 years ago with square solos and it was never the same after that.

It had an alpine monitor deck and changer, RF epx2, old school Kicker cheater amps, 10 18" kicker comps, morel 8" midbass in the doors, Focal comps in the kicks.

If I remember correctly it had 2" of concrete on the floor. Notice how high up the floor in front of the seats is compared to the console.

I've been looking for pictures of this install for almost a decade and from what I've heard the only person from stereo west who had pictures of it was Rod Hash and he died a couple years ago so I thought I'd never see it again.

On the whole though this whole thread is really cool. Alot of cars that inspired me, and it's neat to see cars that were around when I was 10 years old and not even aware of this hobby.
dang i know this is an old thread but reading that rod hash died i had to reply, i bought 10's of thousands of dollars of stuff from him, he was great to me and a great salesman, after he quit working at stereo west i never seen him after that. That red civic in that picture i actually have pictures of that car after it was redone with squares, the pictures are of it sitting on the showroom floor with rod leaning on the car talking to the heavy set black guy that worked there at that same time period, i think his name was kevin. God i still cant believe Rod died....
oldschoolbeats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013   #433

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 47 oldschoolbeats will become famous soon enougholdschoolbeats will become famous soon enougholdschoolbeats will become famous soon enougholdschoolbeats will become famous soon enougholdschoolbeats will become famous soon enougholdschoolbeats will become famous soon enough

and that red crx was around the same time the red mustand cobra was always on the showroom floor, it was owned by kane Coon, the car is actually still around town, also the old stereo west competition truck which i think was a nissan or mazda?
oldschoolbeats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014   #434
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 108 FLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionutz View Post
Damn guys, seriously, this is like the best thread I've seen in a very, very long time! I know it sucks to scan pix, but PLEEEEEEEEEEASE keep em comin! Im like a kid in a candy store!
I swear I will return the favor with some vintage shots as soon as I get some free time
Steve,

Were you ever able to find any photo's from the show in
Ft. Walton. Pretty sure that show was in Oct. I remember
a girl had a car display all decked out with spider webs.
Not sure what she did when she had to go outside to be
judged.

That if I'm not mistaken was my first show and I was in a
red CRX Si. I'm pretty sure it had a single 10" Solo Baric
Alpine amps, and a Sony stack. I didn't carry around a
camera back then, just a massive VHS camera. I need to
figure out how to convert it and post to this thread. If its
still laying around
FLYONWALL9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014   #435

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 43 ZapcoTravis will become famous soon enoughZapcoTravis will become famous soon enoughZapcoTravis will become famous soon enoughZapcoTravis will become famous soon enoughZapcoTravis will become famous soon enoughZapcoTravis will become famous soon enough

Here is my first install I did back in 1989 in a 1982 Ford EXP
AudioControl 4XS
Three Rockford Fosgate Punch HD amps, Punch 30HD, 45HD and 75HD with two Lanzar 10s and punch mids and tweets.

ZapcoTravis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014   #436

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 43 ZapcoTravis will become famous soon enoughZapcoTravis will become famous soon enoughZapcoTravis will become famous soon enoughZapcoTravis will become famous soon enoughZapcoTravis will become famous soon enoughZapcoTravis will become famous soon enough

Here is a old school install my friend did.

Then he pulled it all out and redid the install to this

ZapcoTravis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014   #437

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 113 jsketoe will become famous soon enoughjsketoe will become famous soon enoughjsketoe will become famous soon enoughjsketoe will become famous soon enoughjsketoe will become famous soon enoughjsketoe will become famous soon enough

Absolutely love this thread...saw team mates cars from 97 -99 in there. Nice.

2009 c6 vette, supercharged plus audio..."hot, nasty speed"
Team Focal/Mosconi/Illusion
jsketoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014   #438

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 113 hemimaddness will become famous soon enoughhemimaddness will become famous soon enoughhemimaddness will become famous soon enoughhemimaddness will become famous soon enoughhemimaddness will become famous soon enoughhemimaddness will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Old School Showoff Thread

[QUOTE=Micksh;1452609]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYONWALL9 View Post

I've always LOVED the old OZ Superman stuff....the subs weren't ridiculously loud, but just sounded smooth and realistic...the mids and tweets were phenomenal too...
That car belonged to Steve Head

Team ARC AUDIO , Team KINETIK, Team audio nutz
hemimaddness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014   #439
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 113 SUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enough

ZapcoTravis, that install is incredible! Rockford Pro subs , Audiophile front stage and Power1000 gear......the best of RF right there, period. Just awesome.
SUX 2BU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014   #440
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 38 outroku will become famous soon enoughoutroku will become famous soon enoughoutroku will become famous soon enoughoutroku will become famous soon enoughoutroku will become famous soon enoughoutroku will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPI-ART COLLECTOR View Post
Why would anyone want dual cd changers?

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR
In the late 80s, I chose a Technics cassette deck and TWELVE-disc CD Changer because it held 2 more discs than a Sony. It simply held more music.

This pic is the first I've ever heard of running more than one CD Changer. I think Sony's from the early 90s had the ability to daisy-chain.

Children of the mp3 era have no clue how limited music choices in a car used to be. Before CD Changers, it was a single disc player. Before that, it was a cassette player with reverse play. Before that, it was a cassette player that you had to eject to play the other side. 8-track folks loved when their song ended halfway through the song, then resumed on the other side.

When self-burned CDs loaded with mp3s came out, where you picked out your own music, I thought I had found the holy grail.

outroku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014   #441
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 38 outroku will become famous soon enoughoutroku will become famous soon enoughoutroku will become famous soon enoughoutroku will become famous soon enoughoutroku will become famous soon enoughoutroku will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustjason View Post
I hadn't seen these before. Cool stuff, about as old school as it gets.

+ YouTube Video
Simply AWESOME! Freaking 1985! Unbelievable.

And his choices of EV equipment! EV is what propelled me full throttle into car audio. A buddy of mine in 1987 put a pair of EV tweeter horns, pair of EV midrange horns and pair of EV 15s, that his grandfather got from an old amphitheater from the 70s, into the back of a VW bug and hands down it was the loudest system in the 80s that I heard. Passive crossover and all powered off of 60x2 Craig amp.

Because of my impressions, in early 1988, I special ordered a pair of new EV 15s from a guitar shop and ran them free-air in a trunk, run off of a 1st Gen Orion amp, a 2350gx, the biggest amp Orion made at the time. Sounded amazing for its time.

No wonder the caption in that video says "Eight EV Horn Mids Would Make Your Ears Bleed."

I absolutely believe it. Two horns off of very little power made mine ache. And it was beautiful. Cannot imagine what EIGHT of them sounded like.

I still cannot believe that video. 1985! That guy was GOD!

Last edited by outroku; 08-20-2014 at 04:17 PM..
outroku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2016   #442
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

Rep Power: 27 rob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enough

I was organizing some stuff today & ran across some old photos of my first ride. Sorry for the photo quality up front. These are scanned 20+ year old prints. And I was a lousy photographer back then.

A 1989 Civic Si with the springs cut down 2 inches all around and a lot of miles. It kept giving for 13 faithful years before moving to a new home. I used a lot of equipment in this thing along the way. This is a snapshot of one of them.

Concord CD2 & MSI Monolithic Preamp up front. This area changed the most. I was constantly swapping head units & EQs, etc. The cigarette lighter was re-purposed. I modified the internals to complete the circuit to the turn-on wire when it was pushed in. When it was in the 'normal' position the amps would not turn on. I could pull the lighter out & take it with me if someone was working on the car.

MB Quart 6.5 separates up front. I forget the model number, but these things sounded soooooo sweet. Not too many folks were doing custom pods and such back in the day, and for some reason these tweeters never moved. I think the space behind the door was too shallow.

I bridged the 2 rear channels of the (PPI made?) Crutchfield 4x50 to power the center channel. IIRC I used the positive from each driver - with the rear Alpine coax fills wired normally. I know, sounds funky, but it worked. Those little Infinity 3" center channels didn't last long though. I usually replaced them after a year or so. I'm sure the heat from cutting into my air ducts didn't help there. Not sure what I was expecting when I cut in there, but I got a lesson on cutting into things that day

It did nice things for the staging though. It mostly concerned itself with vocals and that's what was needed.

Center channel grill with small Infinity logo

Amp rack and enclosure. This was built by a couple of friends of mine - a shop owner & his installer of Total Sound Solutions in North Alabama. On the board is a Crutchfield 4x50 (which I understand was made by PPI), and a Concord CA 200.2; both at 4 ohms, MSI electronic crossover and Street Wires fuse block. I still have that fuse block. Wish I had the rest.

In the enclosure were 2 CV 12s. I forget the exact model, but they had grey almost fleckstone-looking die cast aluminum baskets. IIRC they were tuned to 32 Hz and were good for 136 dB.

These things sounded fantastic & satisfied both the basshead and the audiophile in me. They eventually wound up in a couple of really funky experimental enclosures. I hope I run across those pics. I have more boxes of photos to go yet. Fingers crossed.

I did this mostly for fun, but wound up entering a couple competitions...both at Sound on Wheels in Huntsville. It placed 2nd and 3rd in the 501-1000 Watt (Novice?) category those 2 shows. I was stunned to win anything and still think it was hella cool to actually win something for just hanging out with stereo people all day & letting someone score my stuff.

Richard Clark showed up to one of these shows in the Speaker Works Grand National & was parked close to me at some point. I noticed him just sitting in the car goofing off & went over and introduced myself. He wound up giving me a full tour of the car and playing a few songs for me. That car. Errmagerr. It shattered a lot of things I thought I knew about audio. Clark was kind enough to come over & endure the Civic's version of Sultans of Swing and provide feedback afterward.

Makes me kinda miss the scene finding these. What REALLY sucks is seeing the prices some of this old gear is commanding. I literally GAVE lots of it away about a decade ago when I was moving. Derp.
rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rob feature For This Useful Post:
thumper350 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-11-2016   #443

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 105 mrnix will become famous soon enoughmrnix will become famous soon enoughmrnix will become famous soon enoughmrnix will become famous soon enoughmrnix will become famous soon enoughmrnix will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outroku View Post
In the late 80s, I chose a Technics cassette deck and TWELVE-disc CD Changer because it held 2 more discs than a Sony. It simply held more music.

This pic is the first I've ever heard of running more than one CD Changer. I think Sony's from the early 90s had the ability to daisy-chain.

Children of the mp3 era have no clue how limited music choices in a car used to be. Before CD Changers, it was a single disc player. Before that, it was a cassette player with reverse play. Before that, it was a cassette player that you had to eject to play the other side. 8-track folks loved when their song ended halfway through the song, then resumed on the other side.

When self-burned CDs loaded with mp3s came out, where you picked out your own music, I thought I had found the holy grail.
I know it's an old post, but yes, the 90s Sonys had the ability to control multiple Cd/MD changers. It required a unilink adapter, I have one, I think it's called an XAC-30 or something like that. I have that and an XA-300, one is the Aux-in adapter, and the other is the 3 in 1 controller. At one point, I had a 6 disc MD changer in the dash, and a 6 cd changer under the passenger seat. I think those unilink adapters work with the current Sonys, too, but most people don't have much need for CD changers, not when you can burn 50+ entire CDs onto a DVD disc and play it there.
mrnix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2016   #444

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 27 wagonmaster will become famous soon enoughwagonmaster will become famous soon enoughwagonmaster will become famous soon enoughwagonmaster will become famous soon enoughwagonmaster will become famous soon enoughwagonmaster will become famous soon enough

Great thread. remember the old school installs. Those where the days.

Tim

1989 Crown Vic. 2002 USACi SQ world Champion RIP
1971 Buick Sportwagon, Pro-Touring SQ project.
2015 Harley FLHX Street Glide
wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017   #445
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 108 FLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionutz View Post
WOWZERS!!! This is farkin AWESOME!!! Such good memories...this, my DIY friends, was the first install in the civic. Circa 1994/95. I recall the Ft Walton show well :P I remember being jealous of the dude with the vintage HiFonics amps, and the toyota with dual alpine DSP processors!

Thanks again for posting this!!!
Steve
Steve, time to step back in the time machine. A fellah on Ebay has a pair of your 12's for sale, one is NIB the other looks slightly used. When you get them (and I know you want them) do an all old school build and we'll meet up for a Fort Walton fairgrounds reunion of sorts. I still have't finished my 911 with all the Oz/Blade/Sony XES stuff.

I wish I could get in touch with the guy that had the Toyota with dual Alpine processors. A good friend of mine did the install in that car. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he still had it exactly like it was back then.

Cheers,
Scott
FLYONWALL9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #446

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 65 1styearsi will become famous soon enough1styearsi will become famous soon enough1styearsi will become famous soon enough1styearsi will become famous soon enough1styearsi will become famous soon enough1styearsi will become famous soon enough

i love it!!!!
1styearsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #447

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 duxslayer will become famous soon enoughduxslayer will become famous soon enoughduxslayer will become famous soon enoughduxslayer will become famous soon enoughduxslayer will become famous soon enoughduxslayer will become famous soon enough

So much fun rolling through these pics - the wild setups and HUGE amps crack me up now, but were so freaking cool when I was on the IASCA circuit
duxslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement