LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 36 ahardb0dy will become famous soon enoughahardb0dy will become famous soon enoughahardb0dy will become famous soon enoughahardb0dy will become famous soon enoughahardb0dy will become famous soon enoughahardb0dy will become famous soon enough

Default Old school amplifier repair shops

Don't know if this was covered already, I searched didn't find anything specific.

I'm sure there are others in the same boat as I am, needing repair of their prized old amplifiers. I got an e-mail back from DB-r electronics and they said they don't work on old equipment, and they recommended I contact Zedaudio.

I have a tech that I go to locally that mainly specializes in really old equipment, 50's & 60's tv's, home stereo equipment, he used to work for a Sony repair facility and repaired radio station transmitting equipment, and he also does state of the art video editing equipment, he's very good and reasonable, to me at least.

Right now he has a Aiwa cassette deck that I know he's ready to throw across the room, LOL. I spoke to him today and he told me to bring my amp to him and he would look at it. We'll see if he see's something obvious.

But any other shops that people here have used and can recommend? I know about United Radio in upstate NY, they worked on a few of my head units way back but they don't work on anything that the company is not in business, makes getting parts difficult.

Also does anyone have any service manuals or schematics they would like to share, possibly a new section could be created for them.

Thanks
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 42 Prime mova will become famous soon enoughPrime mova will become famous soon enoughPrime mova will become famous soon enoughPrime mova will become famous soon enoughPrime mova will become famous soon enoughPrime mova will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to Prime mova

Thumbs up Re: Old school amplifier repair shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardb0dy View Post
But any other shops that people here have used and can recommend? I know about United Radio in upstate NY, they worked on a few of my head units way back but they don't work on anything that the company is not in business, makes getting parts difficult.
A member on these boards does a huge amount of repairs. From feedback ive seen he's extremely professional and a wiz at repairs. Look up envisionelec

Have you received my email???

"Life is what happens when your making other plans" John Lennon
Prime mova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 36 ahardb0dy will become famous soon enoughahardb0dy will become famous soon enoughahardb0dy will become famous soon enoughahardb0dy will become famous soon enoughahardb0dy will become famous soon enoughahardb0dy will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Old school amplifier repair shops

Yes, wrote back already
Old 02-20-2012   #4

Administrator

12V Company:
BMI Inspections
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 5000 PPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Don't know if this was covered already, I searched didn't find anything specific.

I'm sure there are others in the same boat as I am, needing repair of their prized old amplifiers. I got an e-mail back from DB-r electronics and they said they don't work on old equipment, and they recommended I contact Zedaudio.

I have a tech that I go to locally that mainly specializes in really old equipment, 50's & 60's tv's, home stereo equipment, he used to work for a Sony repair facility and repaired radio station transmitting equipment, and he also does state of the art video editing equipment, he's very good and reasonable, to me at least.

Right now he has a Aiwa cassette deck that I know he's ready to throw across the room, LOL. I spoke to him today and he told me to bring my amp to him and he would look at it. We'll see if he see's something obvious.

Also does anyone have any service manuals or schematics they would like to share, possibly a new section could be created for them.

Thanks
Read this first and it will change your entire approach to repairing your old school amps.

Old School PPI ART SERIES .2 Amplifier Reconditioning & Repairs

Then go contact Aaron (Envisionelec).

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

Listen for the LOVE of it to the Art of it for the SOUL in it and the FUN of it...Because you know when it's right. ----Carolyn Hall Young

TEAM GRIZZ
PPI-ART COLLECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Juggernaut

12V Company:
United States Navy
Position:
Submarine screen door repairman

Rep Power: 61 Navy Chief will become famous soon enoughNavy Chief will become famous soon enoughNavy Chief will become famous soon enoughNavy Chief will become famous soon enoughNavy Chief will become famous soon enoughNavy Chief will become famous soon enoughNavy Chief will become famous soon enough

I will add another positive response for Aaron and Envision Electronics. He has done several jobs for me at very reasonable prices.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #6

DIYMA freshman

I read you thread, seems involved to repair and refresh these amps. I just want my amp fixed, I haven't even seen anyone else mention this particular amp since I've been on here the last few days. Thanks
Old 02-20-2012   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 43 Vanlan will become famous soon enoughVanlan will become famous soon enoughVanlan will become famous soon enoughVanlan will become famous soon enoughVanlan will become famous soon enoughVanlan will become famous soon enough

hmm, i've got a a/d/s/ ph15.2 with some shorted outputs. be nice to get it repaired. i may have to contact aaron.

Alpine 9815 - Massive RK6 Comps - Eclipse PA5422
AA Avalanche 12" - JBL BP1200.1
Vanlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #8

DIYMA freshman

I sent him a PM earlier, hopefully he will be able to tell me something.
Old 02-22-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 89 Catman is on a distinguished roadCatman is on a distinguished roadCatman is on a distinguished roadCatman is on a distinguished roadCatman is on a distinguished road

I have a HUGE stash of the old school Nakamichi amps. (PA400/300/200) and some of them are beginning to need the P/S caps replaced. I'd like to find someone who understands and appreciates the old school amps and has the ability to fully restore them to factory specs ...not just stick the cheapest part in them just to get them going. I've been referred to Zed ...but IMO when Zed began making the Nak amps they were no where close to the previous models.

>^..^<

If money is the root of all evil, why do churches beg for it?
Give me liberty ...or I'll get up and get it myself.
An armed man is a citizen ...an unarmed man is a subject.

Last edited by Catman; 02-22-2012 at 11:27 AM..
Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #10
Classifieds Access
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 48 Ampman will become famous soon enoughAmpman will become famous soon enoughAmpman will become famous soon enoughAmpman will become famous soon enoughAmpman will become famous soon enoughAmpman will become famous soon enoughAmpman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPI-ART COLLECTOR View Post
Read this first and it will change your entire approach to repairing your old school amps.

Old School PPI ART SERIES .2 Amplifier Reconditioning & Repairs

Then go contact Aaron (Envisionelec).

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR
Bret where can I get that Kapton tape from I'd like to give it try thanks for any help
Ampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 45 WRX2010 will become famous soon enoughWRX2010 will become famous soon enoughWRX2010 will become famous soon enoughWRX2010 will become famous soon enoughWRX2010 will become famous soon enoughWRX2010 will become famous soon enough

I have only read impressive things from Aaron @ Envision.

Ampman, I have seen it every now and then on Ebay. I would check online.

Howard Electronics has it: Your Web Store film%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplat es\Templates\SearchResult.html[/URL]
WRX2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #12

Administrator

12V Company:
BMI Inspections
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 5000 PPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond reputePPI-ART COLLECTOR has a reputation beyond repute

It's made by Dupont and I have seen it on ebay as well.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

Listen for the LOVE of it to the Art of it for the SOUL in it and the FUN of it...Because you know when it's right. ----Carolyn Hall Young

TEAM GRIZZ
Old 03-11-2012   #13
Classifieds Access
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 48 Ampman will become famous soon enoughAmpman will become famous soon enoughAmpman will become famous soon enoughAmpman will become famous soon enoughAmpman will become famous soon enoughAmpman will become famous soon enoughAmpman will become famous soon enough

Thanks y'all I found some on eBay and placed an order cant wait to try it out to see how well it works thanks again for the info
Old 03-15-2012   #14
Classifieds Access
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Just got my Kapton tape in today I got three rolls each are 30 mm x 33 m $14.88 for all three rolls free shipping hope I didnt do to bad going to try it out on a old school MTX TERMINATOR MTA250 thanks for all the help fellows
Old 03-22-2012   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 $LICK CALIFA$ will become famous soon enough$LICK CALIFA$ will become famous soon enough$LICK CALIFA$ will become famous soon enough$LICK CALIFA$ will become famous soon enough$LICK CALIFA$ will become famous soon enough$LICK CALIFA$ will become famous soon enough

good luck on the mtx!
I'm gonna eventually check up on Aaron @ Envision since I'm hearing nothing but good things about him. I have a mmats dhcx2200.1, ppi 2300am, and a few others to be repaired
$LICK CALIFA$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #16
Classifieds Access
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by $LICK CALIFA$ View Post
good luck on the mtx!
I'm gonna eventually check up on Aaron @ Envision since I'm hearing nothing but good things about him. I have a mmats dhcx2200.1, ppi 2300am, and a few others to be repaired
I'll get to it one day I hope soon seems like other stuff always comes up and those projects get put on the back burner so I'll get it one day
Old 03-23-2012   #17

Administrator

12V Company:
BMI Inspections
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampman View Post
Just got my Kapton tape in today I got three rolls each are 30 mm x 33 m $14.88 for all three rolls free shipping hope I didnt do to bad going to try it out on a old school MTX TERMINATOR MTA250 thanks for all the help fellows
I think it's great that you're willing to do it on your own.
I don't have the nerve (BALLS) because I think I will screw something up.
I'm the same way with car restorations.
I'll do absolutely everything but paint and bodywork.

Now, back to your amp.
Make sure you've got a good clean and polished surface to apply it too.
And take your time.

Actually, why don't you start a thread with lots of pics showing the process?
This is DIYma after all and many would learn along with you.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

TEAM GRIZZ
Old 03-26-2012   #18

DIYMA freshman

Just heard back from Perry Babin, he's not taking in any new work, the Search for a tech continues.....
Old 03-26-2012   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 $LICK CALIFA$ will become famous soon enough$LICK CALIFA$ will become famous soon enough$LICK CALIFA$ will become famous soon enough$LICK CALIFA$ will become famous soon enough$LICK CALIFA$ will become famous soon enough$LICK CALIFA$ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just heard back from Perry Babin, he's not taking in any new work, the Search for a tech continues.....
keep us posted!
$LICK CALIFA$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #20

DIYMA freshman

starting to lose hope this amp will ever get repaired, if anyone knows of any shop or person working on these older amps and is good please share it, thanks
Old 03-27-2012   #21

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 jasonflair will become famous soon enoughjasonflair will become famous soon enoughjasonflair will become famous soon enoughjasonflair will become famous soon enoughjasonflair will become famous soon enoughjasonflair will become famous soon enough

I found these guys searching online for some Alpine manuals. I have never used them. You may want to give them a call? Hope you find someone to fix your amp. Good luck.

Audio Video Service Labs

829 Lynnhaven Parkway Suite 128
Virginia Beach, VA 23452-7224

Lynnhaven Crossing Shopping Center
on the ring road around Lynnhaven Mall
Hours: 9:30am - 5:30pm, Monday - Friday

(757) 340-7143 (Audio Video Service Labs)
(757) 340-1702 (Kenwood Service Center East)
(757) 340-6809 (FAX)
jasonflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #22

DIYMA freshman

sent them an e-mail, thanks
Old 03-28-2012   #23

DIYMA freshman

Well that company doesn't look good, this is what I got back from them today:

"Like many car amplifiers. those are factory service, only. It can probably be arranged through your selling dealer."

ok
Old 03-28-2012   #24

Administrator

12V Company:
BMI Inspections
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Well that company doesn't look good, this is what I got back from them today:

"Like many car amplifiers. those are factory service, only. It can probably be arranged through your selling dealer."

ok
WTF?

Did they even read what your e-mail?

Bret
PPI-ART-COLLECTOR

TEAM GRIZZ
Old 03-28-2012   #25

DIYMA freshman

I told them it was a 90's era amp