OZ Superman Fan Hangout - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2015   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 190 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: OZ Superman Fan Hangout

my first and only comp was with isobaric 250ls ported and superman 5.25s and I took 1st rookie.

Best sounding enclosure ever. I only used two amps the zapco pre-studio z100s so I was in the 200 watt class. Still such a great system in a vw corrado. passive, no dsp, low Power but just great.

I still put the 250ls up there. Just so butter smooth and play low and do great in my home theater in 1.7 @ 26hz wit 250 watts.

if youre building a HT sub, these work VERY well and theres been an audiomobile evo, newer version oz matrix, and dayton HF in the same enclosure and the oz 250l is my favorite by a considerable margin. I just like the smoothness

If anyone has a set of the cotton blend tweets Im always looking so pm me.

Alpine INE-S920HD - Audiocontrol Matrix - Kenwood X4R - Kenwood X1R - ESB KT6.28 - ESB Ottomila 16 - Boston G5 10" @32

Last edited by tyroneshoes; 05-24-2015 at 12:33 PM..
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2015   #27

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 Buickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeppinkdiver View Post
Really happy to hear Mike! Welcome to the club, those subs were cared for 100% prior to you getting them. I hope they bring you years of amazing bass. Thanks for the input on box sizes. I remember the 250L sounding fullest in smaller ported enclosures 20 hears ago.
Thanks for passing them on!!! This is the best old school speakers I've had. My 1st gen Audiophile 10"s are real nice too, but these are just so smooth and so universal. In the box mentioned above, they would play bass tones smooth and low. Then I played some old Metallica...stuff from And Justice for all, Master of Puppets, and the black album. The sub just beat me up in the same damn enclosure. Unreal!
Buickmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2015   #28

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 Buickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneshoes View Post
my first and only comp was with isobaric 250ls ported and superman 5.25s and I took 1st rookie.

Best sounding enclosure ever. I only used two amps the zapco pre-studio z100s so I was in the 200 watt class. Still such a great system in a vw corrado. passive, no dsp, low Power but just great.

I still put the 250ls up there. Just so butter smooth and play low and do great in my home theater in 1.7 @ 26hz wit 250 watts.

if youre building a HT sub, these work VERY well and theres been an audiomobile evo, newer version oz matrix, and dayton HF in the same enclosure and the oz 250l is my favorite by a considerable margin. I just like the smoothness

If anyone has a set of the cotton blend tweets Im always looking so pm me.
That was your iso setup? Looking at WinISD Pro, I would oddly need to go 1.2 ft ported at 30hz iso loaded to duplicate the 1.4 ft enclosure ported at 34hz. Not sure it is so worth it. Hmmmm.

Old 05-24-2015   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 190 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

no this is my home theatre sub. My iso was a smaller enclosure and long gone. 1994.

Alpine INE-S920HD - Audiocontrol Matrix - Kenwood X4R - Kenwood X1R - ESB KT6.28 - ESB Ottomila 16 - Boston G5 10" @32
Old 05-25-2015   #30

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneshoes View Post
no this is my home theatre sub. My iso was a smaller enclosure and long gone. 1994.
Sorry, I meant to say "what" was your iso setup? Any chance you remember the enclosure size and what frequency you ported it at?
Old 05-25-2015   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

No, it was custom built by a great shop by me that closed down. They did zapco, alumapro, image dynamics and illusion demo cars for them. Was called sounds impossible

Probably about 1.2 ft tuned to 30 hz if I was guessing. one sub mounted inside and one basket showing.

Old 06-13-2015   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 141 stills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond repute

Oz audio CS180 Superman Series 6 5" Component Set RARE Old School Sq System | eBay

team mono
stills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015   #33

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Orbital Installation
Position:
Field Installation Mgr.

Rep Power: 0 BMXAudio will become famous soon enoughBMXAudio will become famous soon enoughBMXAudio will become famous soon enoughBMXAudio will become famous soon enoughBMXAudio will become famous soon enoughBMXAudio will become famous soon enough

Here is my OZ collection so far. I thought I had a pair of tweeters somewhere but I can't seem to find them. The 12' subs are all new in the original boxes. I am on the lookout for another to give me an even four. But then I will probably find a pair leaving me with an un even five so I will still be looking for one. HaHa! I am also trying to put together another 6 1/2 component set.

The amps are Prototypes of the last Matrix line they were set to produce right before they closed the doors. I bought them a while back on eBay. I was told they are three of six that were produced. I have seen where Oz is supposed to be making a comeback soon. I would like to see if the new amps share any of the same internal design with these. The silver marks on the lower amp are from an unfortunate incident transporting them from my house to my shop. ALWAYS make sure everything is secured. I thought about putting it back in the box but then I was like. Im only going a few miles. What can happen? So I set it on the passenger front floor of my truck and set another amp in the passenger seat.. Then while I was coming to a stop at a red light the woman in the lane next to me turned right in front of me at the last second. I was so pissed. I should have not hit the brakes and just plowed her. In the end the damage is my fault for not securing things but it still sucks.

I worked for an OZ dealer back in the 90s. The first system I heard these in was a Thunderbird with a wall of twelve 12" 300L subs. It had 6 1/2 180 component sets in the front and in the wall. All running off of PPI Promos amps. It was pretty loud but it sounded so much clearer than most of the other cars I had heard with that much equipment stuffed inside. I could kick myself in the ass for trading away my last NOS 6 1/2 component set back in the day.

BMXAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 234 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Oh man, I'd take a pair of those 300L's off of you right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 86 deeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enough

I have a pair of the 300h sittin.

deeppinkdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015   #36

DIYMA freshman

I love my 250L's sooo much. If I had some spare cash right now I would take those 300H's, but I have other priorities while restoring my car. One day I hope to have some superman components.
Old 11-28-2015   #37

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 PPI Matt will become famous soon enoughPPI Matt will become famous soon enoughPPI Matt will become famous soon enoughPPI Matt will become famous soon enoughPPI Matt will become famous soon enoughPPI Matt will become famous soon enough

I love Oz too. Best subs ever. I'm working on an installation on a GTI right now with 200L 8" and 300L 12" Supermans. New to the forum. Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2238.jpg (86.5 KB, 44 views)
PPI Matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2015   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 130 PPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enough

I competed with two Oz 250L's waaaay back in the day when they were new. Powered them with one half of a Pro Mos 425. To my ears, they are still the best SQ sub I've ever heard. Still regret selling them to this day. If anyone would like to part with a couple of 10" 250L's let me know!

Absolutely State Of The Art!
PPI_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2016   #39

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 86 Dubstep is on a distinguished roadDubstep is on a distinguished roadDubstep is on a distinguished roadDubstep is on a distinguished roadDubstep is on a distinguished road

So were the metal flaked baskets with the silver and blue and a few red flakes, pre JTI buy out or after? I understand the purple flaked baskets were the OG's I have my eye on a 4" set..
Dubstep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2016   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 105 FLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep View Post
So were the metal flaked baskets with the silver and blue and a few red flakes, pre JTI buy out or after? I understand the purple flaked baskets were the OG's I have my eye on a 4" set..
299 is a tall ask, well, from me for a set of 4's. I sent the guy a message
telling him his 5's and 4's were ass backwards in price, in hopes of him
dropping the 4's prices. I already have a set though not NIB, but they are
4's; it's not like you're going to hurt them much.
FLYONWALL9 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2016   #41

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 PPI Matt will become famous soon enoughPPI Matt will become famous soon enoughPPI Matt will become famous soon enoughPPI Matt will become famous soon enoughPPI Matt will become famous soon enoughPPI Matt will become famous soon enough

That guy sells a ton of gear on Ebay, he's profit motivated which is understood. You play to pay, it's not likew every day you see Oz's finest drivers for sale let along NIB.These drivers of the colors you are referring to are from Oz audio circa 1994. They are pre JTI. Purples and Silver's are both OG drivers. The purple drivers are used for sealed applications and the grey's are for free-air applications. It really has to do with the Thiele/Small driver parameters. The purple baskets were low Q and the Silver basket's high Q. Q is a dimensionless term and is basically a ratio. It's used to describe the balance between forces that tend to control or damp the cone motion (like brakes), and those things that ted to keep it going (momentum). The Q of a drive unit is directly is directly effected by the magnetic motor strength. Lower Q drivers (purple baskets) have a higher inherited braking force than high Q drivers. Signed the Wizard of Oz
PPI Matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2016   #42
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 24 will. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enough

Since there is a post dedicated to OZ...here is my question.

Anyone know anything about the OZ superman RED sticker subs from the 90's. I have a 12" in mint condition that I came across that had no model number on it. Its single VC 4ohm and slight bigger/heavier basket/magnet size as the 300H/L.

General info would be good or even better, specs and enclosure volumes.
Thanks in advance.
will. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2016   #43
lsm
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 106 lsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enough

Any word on the "new" Oz Audio? Is John Walton involved??

Hurst Challenger - McIntosh - Milbert - TRU - Stevens Audio - Rane - XS Power
lsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2016   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 130 PPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enough

Some new Oz audio stuff is showing up on Fleabay so, you have to wonder about the quality. They have a website up and running but, if you go there expecting to find the same type products they made their name on, you'll be disappointed. They may be selling solid gear but, I'd be willing to bet it's mostly off-shore buildhouse stuff.
Here's the website...
OZ audio - Hear Another World - OZ Audio USA, Inc.

BTW, I started a thread on the history of Oz Audio some time back. Good info there. Definitely worth the read...
OZ Audio history?

Absolutely State Of The Art!
PPI_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2016   #45

DIYMA freshman

Hey all,

I'm on the hunt for some superman components to compliment my 250L's.

Can someone tell me the difference between the CS, SCX, and BFB lines?

I would love to have a 6.5" component set!!
Old 07-17-2016   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 234 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

I'm pretty sure the CS were the only real superman components.

Old 07-17-2016   #47

DIYMA freshman

Check the pic. I never knew, but on the box for the Superman gen separates, there are apparently 3 different lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (45.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-17-2016   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Default OZ Superman Fan Hangout

The originals weren't the CS xxx, they were the xxxCS

Old 07-17-2016   #49

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
The originals weren't the CS xxx, they were the xxxCS

Are you sure?

Check the pics I attached. One is of a set of Superman logo CS series and the manual that comes with them says CS 130

The other pic is a box for a set of newer Matrix Elites and the number comes before the CS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg (36.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600-2.jpg (25.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-17-2016   #50

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 rlopapa2016 will become famous soon enoughrlopapa2016 will become famous soon enoughrlopapa2016 will become famous soon enoughrlopapa2016 will become famous soon enoughrlopapa2016 will become famous soon enoughrlopapa2016 will become famous soon enough

I just posted some auctions on eBay for my well taken care of OZ 6.5 5.25 and 4 drivers and some tweets.

I had them in my previous show Car but I replaced that with two kids and I never got to using them anymore. If anyone wants anything I can take the listings off fleabay.

If you live in the San Diego area I can also deliver them. I still have the boxes for everything but the 4" drivers. These things sound amazing. As you may know the tweets used Ferrofluid which has a shelf life. The tweets are included but I won't charge for them as the shelf life of the fluid has expired (it turns in jelly). I know you can change the fluid on some drivers but not sure on these. Don't get me wrong, they still play. It I don't think they will have the same range they did in their glory days.

Thanks Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5888_1476750429269.jpg (71.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5891_1476750457224.jpg (58.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5895_1476750514416.jpg (52.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5896_1476750563033.jpg (54.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5896_1476750605458.jpg (54.6 KB, 18 views)
rlopapa2016 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement