OZ Superman Fan Hangout - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014   #1

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 67 SilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enough

Default OZ Superman Fan Hangout

So are there any OZ speaker fans out there? I have been a huge fan since the first time I heard them!!! When they first came out. They hit a home run straight out of the gate. I caught alot of crap around the shop because I rebuilt my system and competed with a brand we didn't carry. I drove four hours to get them from a dealer. We carried great brands I just loved them and they were a good value. I had access to ADS, JL, and Dynaudio in the early 90's. I tried USD waveguide's with JL 6.5 first but then ultimately went with OZ Superman 5 1/4 component set to match the 12H I had. So I found them in a box pot them in a year ago and it's hard to take them out.
They are so silky smooth and have so much air and detail. On axis sounds great and off axis they are incredible. The sound stage is just realistic. They are one of the few component sets that you can just drop in any car with a great amp and presto great sound. I had done so many cars with them over the years and they never seize to amaze me. I have run them with many different amps from Kenwood, Alpine 35xx, Autotek, HiFonics, ESX, Lanzar, Zed Audio, Orion, Linear Power, ADS, PG, etc. They are about the most forgiving car speakers. The temp 5 1/4 component set in my car has been in five different systems. Until the last two cars they made it to from the closet. I didn't remember what I was missing. Pics coming later have to dig up what remains of the 12's I'm sure the suspension is shot from storage.

I have an issue I really want and planned on going with the new Morel LE Supremo 3way component set. But I just found a set of never played 4" superman s and a set of 8L's :-) :-) :-) so off to modding dash and a pillars for an old school active???

I see scattered OZ fans around. I thought this could be a gathering place.

Also If anyone has any history. The were doing great then just dropped off to oblivion.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
SilkySlim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Clarion freak

Rep Power: 155 smgreen20 will become famous soon enoughsmgreen20 will become famous soon enoughsmgreen20 will become famous soon enoughsmgreen20 will become famous soon enoughsmgreen20 will become famous soon enoughsmgreen20 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: OZ Superman Fan Hangout

First I ever heard OF them was in an issue of CSR in Shaq's van. They are one of the few sets of speakers I've never heard and love. Make sense?

Clarion and OS LANZAR Collector.
smgreen20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014   #3

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 67 SilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enoughSilkySlim will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up Re: OZ Superman Fan Hangout

I know exactly what you mean. I knew many that felt the same way. They weren't cheap but they weren't stratosphere expensive ether. They never seemed to get that mainstream attention. You'll see some pop up around I suggest taking a chance on some. They are something you just have to own to fully appreciate. They are very rewarding. I was lucky enough to run a shop and brought them in around 1994-96.

It's funny though when you look at the drivers there is nothing that is really spectacular about them other than the paint job. The cones didn't look like anything super special, they had nice motors but nothing crazy like 9"vc or inverted unobtainium magnets. They just seemed to do so many little things right it was the details that made them so good. Balanced is the best way to describe them.

Old 02-24-2014   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 108 FLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enough

I am pretty sure I fit within this fan club.

SilkySlim, profile says south? South of France? Florida, Mississippi,
Alabama?

Last edited by FLYONWALL9; 02-24-2014 at 08:09 PM..
FLYONWALL9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 88 MADXF will become famous soon enoughMADXF will become famous soon enoughMADXF will become famous soon enoughMADXF will become famous soon enoughMADXF will become famous soon enoughMADXF will become famous soon enough

While I can't say I'm a fan of the superman speakers, because I haven't owned or heard them, I do have a set of the plain black 5.25" Matrix Elite's and they are absolutely brilliant.
So I'm definitely an OZ fan.

I want to get some OZ ME subs next when they pop up.
Hopefully they'll go alright in IB.
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014   #6

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYONWALL9 View Post
I am pretty sure I fit within this fan club.

SilkySlim, profile says south? South of France? Florida, Mississippi,
Alabama?

That is some good lookin OZ Superman gear. Yea you belong I'm in NC Welcome

Old 02-24-2014   #7

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADXF View Post
While I can't say I'm a fan of the superman speakers, because I haven't owned or heard them, I do have a set of the plain black 5.25" Matrix Elite's and they are absolutely brilliant.
So I'm definitely an OZ fan.

I want to get some OZ ME subs next when they pop up.
Hopefully they'll go alright in IB.
I haven't played with the matrix stuff but haven't heard much bad either. I always had the superman in OZ. Close enough. So welcome anyway. You owe it to yourself to hear the superman.

Old 02-24-2014   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 108 FLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enough

Thanks....

They will be teamed up with my old SONY XES system

and 8 chan's of BLADE SE power.
Old 02-24-2014   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 82 hurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enough

I had an old 180cs set with the black square crossovers in some sealed kicks and I still remember exactly how they sounded to this day.

Only problem with them today is the absolute ridiculous prices they get listed for on ebay. Not too long ago, I saw a seller asking over 400 bucks for a used 180cs set!

I want to find someone with a blown superman sub who will sell it to me for cheap so I can reverse engineer and possibly recreate it.
hurrication is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 88 MADXF will become famous soon enoughMADXF will become famous soon enoughMADXF will become famous soon enoughMADXF will become famous soon enoughMADXF will become famous soon enoughMADXF will become famous soon enough

I searched everywhere and ended up buying my 130cs from New Jersey. BNIB for $300 delivered to Aus.

My brother in law just bought a BNIB set of 180cs for $299.

Both are the ones with the gold and silver Oz logo on the crossover.
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 113 SUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enough

OG Oz is just really nice stuff. Haven't had a lot of experience with them but a friend had a pair of 10's back in the day in a sealed box and they just sounded really nice. Lots of detail and good output. The paint job on the basket was awesome! I wanted so bad to paint my 88 Mustang GT black with that purple on the bottom below the belt line (it was 1993 afterall ). It still is the perfect color of metallic purple.
SUX 2BU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2015   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

HEY OZ FANS.....

A buddy of mine is searching for a single 10" subwoofer. Does anyone have
one they are willing to part with?
Old 04-05-2015   #13
lsm
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 109 lsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enough

I definitely want in the OZ Superman Fan Club. I was a dealer for them for many years back in the 90's. I loved everything about Oz Audio especially their customer service. John Walton and Ken (the tech guy) were great to deal with. It was a shame to watch them fall.... I still have one of their 10" subs and a 6 1/2" component set that I'll prob hang on to forever. Such great speakers!

Hurst Challenger - McIntosh - Milbert - TRU - Stevens Audio - Rane - XS Power
lsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2015   #14
lsm
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 109 lsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYONWALL9 View Post
Thanks....

They will be teamed up with my old SONY XES system

and 8 chan's of BLADE SE power.
That's gonna be one sweet system!

Hurst Challenger - McIntosh - Milbert - TRU - Stevens Audio - Rane - XS Power
lsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2015   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 118 Hardwrkr will become famous soon enoughHardwrkr will become famous soon enoughHardwrkr will become famous soon enoughHardwrkr will become famous soon enoughHardwrkr will become famous soon enoughHardwrkr will become famous soon enough

For anyone interested, there's a mint looking OZ 300L for sale in the Toronto, ON Kijiji for only $30.

BTW, still loving my OZ Matrix Elite 15.

Mazda CX-7 GT - Kenwood DNX9140, RF T600-4, RF T1000-1bd, Energy 3.5, Dayton RS225-4, OZ Matrix Elite 15.2 http://www.cardomain.com/id/37554
Hardwrkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2015   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 89 deeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enough

Im certainly in the club.. Ive been a huge Oz Superman fan since the early to mid 90's. Shop in Davenport Ia carried them and the salesman knew me by name for sure. I would go in to "audition" the components I couldnt afford nearly every weekend for months before I was able to buy my first set.. Like going to see a puppy at the puppy store several times to make sure you are truely in love with them before taking them home..ha.

I enjoyed every moment of having those in my first couple cars. It was a couple years before I added the 10" to the set up, I was a diehard solobaric sub fan for years until I switched to the Superman subs.. I remember being amazed at the Jack Hammer like performance those 10's gave rocking out to Metallica the first time I played them. They always sounded graceful regardless of the genre of music. I only ever ran them sealed, cant recall ever hearing them ported but do remember reading of them run IB in magazines.

I have not owned Oz components in years and would love to find a set, so if anyone knows of any by all means send me some info. I am however the proud owner of a set of 10" and 12" subs. The 12" set were stored improperly and have flat spots on the surrounds but are otherwise mint.
deeppinkdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2015   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 193 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

My home theater sub has been using a 250 l tuned to 26 hz for a while. Still sounds amazing

Alpine INE-S920HD - Audiocontrol Matrix - Kenwood X4R - Kenwood X1R - ESB KT6.28 - ESB Ottomila 16 - Boston G5 10" @32
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2015   #18

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 146 lostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enough

Back in the day, Oz Supermans were on my want list so bad.
The shiny cones with the OZ reflective emblems!!

Never were able to afford them, plus it was hard to find around here.

I was stuck with M&M Godfathers 15s and MB Quarts. Back then, I liked it loud and clear. LOL.
lostthumb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2015   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 53 CRUNK is on a distinguished roadCRUNK is on a distinguished roadCRUNK is on a distinguished roadCRUNK is on a distinguished roadCRUNK is on a distinguished road

Oz is back same owner even greater products and amps ; )
CRUNK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 193 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

I have this matrix elite 10 with a cracked dustcap sitting around for a the past few years. Found a carbon fiber one the same size on ebay and replaced it. Looks great IMO. Such a nice sounding sub.

I am getting a little cracking noise from the dustcap on some fast transients and Im wondering if its because it was shallower than the previous dustcap but it rarely happens.

Alpine INE-S920HD - Audiocontrol Matrix - Kenwood X4R - Kenwood X1R - ESB KT6.28 - ESB Ottomila 16 - Boston G5 10" @32
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015   #21

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 63 Buickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUNK View Post
Oz is back same owner even greater products and amps ; )
I see news of it, but nothing else really. I'll never forget the day I demo'd the Superman series components and subs. Super clean sound. The subs were so accurate and musical, without any real mechanical sound or air noise to them. I still want some of the subs bad, but all I see for sale are the H line subs and they are expensive. The components are outrageous.
Buickmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 52 car8961 is on a distinguished roadcar8961 is on a distinguished roadcar8961 is on a distinguished roadcar8961 is on a distinguished roadcar8961 is on a distinguished road

I will list a 300L (12" sub) in great condition in the next few days. Let me know if interested.
car8961 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015   #23

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 63 Buickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enoughBuickmike will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by car8961 View Post
I will list a 300L (12" sub) in great condition in the next few days. Let me know if interested.
Shoot me a PM when you have the info. I am more into 10" subs, but still interested for sure.
Old 05-23-2015   #24

DIYMA freshman

Ok so now I am officially in the club!!!! I am the proud owner of a pair of 250L's and couldn't be more happier. To date these are the only speakers that sound exactly how I remember them. I set them up (1 at a time) in a few different enclosures. I threw them in the back of my WRX. I tried a 2.0 cu ft ported at 28hz that I had from a home theater setup. Sounded great. Deep, musical, but not hard hitting. I threw one in a .75 cu ft sealed and was pleasantly surprised. Hard hitting and played real bassy stuff like hip hop really accurate. I could tell right away that around 1.0 cu ft would be the sweet spot for sealed. Next up, I had a 1.4 cu ft ported enclosure. I tried it with the port blocked and it was nice, but a bit big. Then the magic happened. I ported it around 34hz and it freaking came alive BIG TIME. Hammer like hard hitting bass...musical, deep. I really hit the sweet spot. I was going to save these for another car, but now I'm thinking of recreating this, but iso loading them in a ported enclosure that will give the same output and give them both about 300-400W or so.

Not to sell off some stuff and save up for components. I'm hooked!
Old 05-24-2015   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 89 deeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enough

Really happy to hear Mike! Welcome to the club, those subs were cared for 100% prior to you getting them. I hope they bring you years of amazing bass. Thanks for the input on box sizes. I remember the 250L sounding fullest in smaller ported enclosures 20 hears ago.
deeppinkdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement