Did brands like Pyramid ever make anything good? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2017   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 38 impulse will become famous soon enoughimpulse will become famous soon enoughimpulse will become famous soon enoughimpulse will become famous soon enoughimpulse will become famous soon enoughimpulse will become famous soon enough

Question Did brands like Pyramid ever make anything good?

Looking at some old school pics. Like this stuff from Pyramid audio, it looks high end anyway, were all their products always junk? If so how do some of these long time brands stay alive today? I mean there must be a healthy market for it somewhere, I've never seen them in my area since the early 90's at least.

I have to admit, I like the look of these, really interesting and unique imo, seems if they made these again today with a little honest marketing, they could probably sell well

Quote:
These kicker subs are so cool,if you look from the side you can see the sound waves!{AWESOME!} I've always been told that kicker is "top of the line sound quality" and that statement is 100% true! -Written By Hunter b, Lexington,SC
impulse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 276 Onyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Did brands like Pyramid ever make anything good?

No, the products in those pics are the exact opposite of "high end."
Onyx1136 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017   #3

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 72 street.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enough

They have such neat looking old school stuff, same with LAnzar.

Junk or not every week I fight to not buy this

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/390929064869

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

SQ confuzzles me
street.terror is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 30 I'm not new will become famous soon enoughI'm not new will become famous soon enoughI'm not new will become famous soon enoughI'm not new will become famous soon enoughI'm not new will become famous soon enoughI'm not new will become famous soon enough

To me personally, those products look cheap. They did have a series of Super Pro amps that were built by Precision Power for a couple of years. Nice understated white amps with a super pro logo screen printed on top.

Another series of amps were manufactured by Zed Audio. They didn't do rated max power but were pretty well made amps. I think Stephen Mantz stated they did about half of the rated power.

They also had super pro and super blue series of woofers that for a while were manufactured by Eminence. I can't speak for the quality but those would be the models I would look for by them.

Of course as a teen I owned several of the Phase III Tenna paper cone woofers. Never really used them in a car though. Just stuff I played around with as a teen while dipping my toes into the audio world.

Last edited by I'm not new; 02-19-2017 at 06:45 PM..
I'm not new is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 63 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

They have probably one of the best cheap woofer: Pyramid W64 6-1/2" Pro Plus Midbass Woofer
They worked really well for me as OEM replacement

Horny Froggy...
Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017   #6

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 30 GEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enough

"Royal Red" lol
GEM592 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 49 High Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx1136 View Post
No, the products in those pics are the exact opposite of "high end."
Yes they did have a line of high end gear.

They had a like of amps called the Pyramid Super Pro which were actually PPI based amps.

I still own one to this day.

Old School Pyramid made by PPI??

High Resolution Audio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 134 beerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enough

I remember the power acoustic fire and ice series was pretty good. It was an amp I wanted badly back in the day.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
beerdrnkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017   #9

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 72 street.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgrosso View Post
They have probably one of the best cheap woofer: Pyramid W64 6-1/2" Pro Plus Midbass Woofer
They worked really well for me as OEM replacement
Those are the ones I struggle not to buy. They're available on eBay for $100cdn shipped for 4!

SQ confuzzles me
street.terror is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 48 HardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enough

IMHO, equipment that looks "flashy" like that is nothing but junk. They are pandering to 15-17 year olds who don't know any better. I do agree with those who have mentioned Pyramid's SuperPro Line from the Mid 90's.They were great amps! Those are the only Pyramids I can vouch for though. The Zed line that Mantz made was a "Boss" branded line of amplifiers, not Pyramid. I suppose he could have made some for Pyramid that I'm not aware of though...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
HardCoreDore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to HardCoreDore For This Useful Post:
PickleSlice (1 Week Ago)
Old 02-20-2017   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 30 I'm not new will become famous soon enoughI'm not new will become famous soon enoughI'm not new will become famous soon enoughI'm not new will become famous soon enoughI'm not new will become famous soon enoughI'm not new will become famous soon enough

I may have mixed them up.
I'm not new is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 148 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

There was some Pyramid gear that was ok. Having played with a few of their subs, they were quite impressive for what they were. I've used those Super Pro 6.5" mids a long time ago. Ran them in the doors on a Punch 150 and they took it like a champ. Back then (90's) Super Pro subs were black with red surrounds, some even pro audio style. High end? Of course not, but that was a long time ago. Barely any subs worked in small boxes. There's a difference between "high end" and simply being useful.

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Bayboy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 276 Onyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Resolution Audio View Post
Yes they did have a line of high end gear.

They had a like of amps called the Pyramid Super Pro which were actually PPI based amps.

I still own one to this day.

Old School Pyramid made by PPI??
It would appear that you failed reading comprehension in grade school. I didn't say anything about the brand as a whole. He refered to the pictures as looking high end, and I commented on the equipment in the pictures, nothing more. Read a little bit slower, pay a little more attention, and don't put words in my mouth. If your tin foil hat is causing you difficulties when you read, perhaps consider adjusting it.
Onyx1136 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017   #14
Classifieds Access

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 40 juiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by street.terror View Post
They have such neat looking old school stuff, same with LAnzar.

Junk or not every week I fight to not buy this

Look at this on eBay 4) Pyramid W64 6.5" 800 Watt Car Audio Midrange/Mid Bass Poly Woofers Speakers 68888701631 | eBay

"Enjoy superior quality bass along with warm and textured mids with the Pyramid W64 one-way car speaker that delivers 200 watts peak power.

"With a frequency response range of 60 Hz to 5 kHz, this one-way car speaker captures a wide range of signals to provide for an optimal performance."

Because we know the speaker DELIVERS the power & subs sound best playing up to 5kHz

juiceweazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 148 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceweazel View Post
"Enjoy superior quality bass along with warm and textured mids with the Pyramid W64 one-way car speaker that delivers 200 watts peak power.

"With a frequency response range of 60 Hz to 5 kHz, this one-way car speaker captures a wide range of signals to provide for an optimal performance."

Because we know the speaker DELIVERS the power & subs sound best playing up to 5kHz
Marketing aside, have you used them?

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Old 02-20-2017   #16
Classifieds Access

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 40 juiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayboy View Post
Marketing aside, have you used them?
Yes I tried a few amps & subs back in the day. They worked in a pinch when I needed something to get me by while I saved for better gear. By saying worked I mean they made sound. I'll agree they fill a niche but I always laughed at their claims.

Old 02-20-2017   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 251 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

All jokes and hate aside sometimes it's just plain fun to play around with carefully selected super budget equipment. Take your blinders off and check your snobbery at the door and you just might like what you hear if your expectations aren't set very high and accept the piece of equipment for what it is. I have a little sh!ts n giggles project planned involving $120 in 4 8's in 4 cu ft tuned to 35hz. Said 8's are known overachievers and bet I have $500 worth of fun with less than $200 in the whole project.

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream pn4.520d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15v3, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

The unfortunate thing about back then, not many that bought such gear really knew what they were doing, or had capable testing tools. You just hooked up amps, put the subs in an arbitrarily sized box, and voila! Of course it didn't help that most low end manufacturers didn't give proper data, that's if they gave any at all. By the time knowledge & tools advanced, so did that particular consumer's choice in gear.

There was one Pyramid or Legacy sub that was rather pretty damn good. Yellow woven kevlar cone, santoprene surrounds, decent motor structure, and worked in pretty small sealed boxes. Wasn't a street boomer, but played pretty clean and extended pretty deep. From my experiences alone, I've learned not to judge gear by looks or cost. Rather investigate and test if possible. You never know what you might run across.

Last edited by Bayboy; 02-20-2017 at 08:45 AM..
Old 02-20-2017   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 81 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

Sometime what we think we remember was not as good as we remember it.

As for taking the blinders of. There is a difference between budget and junk.
DC/Hertz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Sigh

Old 02-20-2017   #21
Classifieds Access

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
All jokes and hate aside sometimes it's just plain fun to play around with carefully selected super budget equipment.
This I will agree with. It was fun to see how far you could push the equipment. And yes part of the budget equipment problem is people not knowing what they were doing. I'll admit, when I first started I blew a few cheapo's due to lack of knowledge. But I bought them knowing I really didn't know. And I bought the cheapo equipment again later on to get by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayboy View Post
There was one Pyramid or Legacy sub that was rather pretty damn good.
I never had a problem with Legacy amps. I had pretty good luck with them and Power Acoustik actually.

Old 02-20-2017   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

As long as you know the gear's limits you can get by or do pretty good, but there's a diminishing return on that as well. At some point, you have to use the best that your money can buy regardless of what brand it is and that includes output & durability. Certain Jensen amps did that for me until I decided to upgrade. One particular was the KA-5 (I think that's correct). 5 channel A/B amp on a set of JBL speakers & two Dayton Thruster 10". Wasn't powerful, but at decent volumes was clean.

I don't miss those days, but I respect what was had from very little.

Old 02-20-2017   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 251 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC/Hertz View Post
Sometime what we think we remember was not as good as we remember it.

As for taking the blinders of. There is a difference between budget and junk.
I know I'd throw up if I heard today what I thought sounded great back then. My old posts on this forum show the ugly truth about how ignorant I was back then.

I like to keep "cheap" and "inexpensive" separate. "Inexpensive" should be used for stuff that has a lot of bang for the buck. "Cheap" should be reserved for stuff that's just plain junk. You can get a raw driver with a pretty good motor on an unflashy cone for under $100. Then there are tons of car audio brands that offer stuff for about the same price that are just plain cheap junk. It's all about knowing if what you're buying carries value with the price tag whether it be $10 or $1000 and beyond. If a $100 speaker is a better design that a $1000 esoteric speaker you better believe I'll buy the $100 speaker because it's a smarter purchase. Tons of gray area here so just using a random example. Same with amps. If I'm looking at two different amps and the less expensive one does what I need it to with the same or better quality parts in it the less expensive amp is the better buy. More money doesn't always mean better quality.

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream pn4.520d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15v3, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Couple that with today's advantage of utilizing a dsp to optimize whatever you use. Back then, most didn't have that advantage so I think giving a bit of credit for what was accomplished during that time is due.

Last edited by Bayboy; 02-20-2017 at 11:39 AM..
Old 03-03-2017   #25

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 misterjones will become famous soon enoughmisterjones will become famous soon enoughmisterjones will become famous soon enoughmisterjones will become famous soon enoughmisterjones will become famous soon enoughmisterjones will become famous soon enough

Back in 1990, the car audio shop I worked at had one cardinal rule: "We ain't installin no Pyramid EXCEPT their subwoofers."

I've heard a lot of custom built enclosures tailored to old-school Pyramid woofers that sounded phenomenal. One of my installers loved 'em so much that when he quit and opened his own shop he specialized in Pyramid woofers.

Oh, there was a 4 or 6 channel amp that Pyramid made back then. HUGE thing with handles on both ends. Think old school Hifonics Colossus but black. My installers swore by that thing. We were a huge Kenwood shop back then and the 1020/1021 was our gold standard for big assed amps and the installers still not-so-secretly fawned over that ONE Pyramid amp. It was fairly expensive, even in JC Whitney catalogs where everything was cheap.

Right now, I'm debating on a commuter car and if I pick up an old Accord or 2nd/3rd gen Prelude I'm dropping a pair of these Pyramid 8" joints in there. I've already ran 'em through Blaubox and I'm utterly amazed at what I can pull out of 'em.
misterjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement