Old School Showoff Thread - Page 416 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10376
Upgrade Your Membership!

Living in the past......

Rep Power: 71 Marky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Old School Showoff Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoreDore View Post
Wow! Nice setup brother! What did you do with your old Nak gear if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I pretty much gave them to a friend of mine. I have a friend that we grew up on the same street together and he always drooled over the Nakamichi amps when I bought them new in the 80's. I ended up giving them to him for some work that was needed on my wife's Chevy Tahoe. He ended up with all 6 PA300II amps. He is running 4 of them along with a PA302 for his tweeters. I have second thoughts on hooking him up with them like I did but its ok I suppose. He isn't flushed with money and I was soft hearted to help him get a system into his truck.
He still has some of that to work off lol.

My Nakamichi system was a work of art, it really was. There are pictures under my profile on that install. I had a thermostat controlled fan setup even to keep those amps from overheating. It worked like a champ and even that looked good back there.

Check it out I'm sure you will like the wall of black amps. They sounded great too, only thing that was light was the bass. But it was well proportioned to be honest, just not overwhelming on bass. I later installed some JL 8W1V-3 woofers and they did very well. I think that was the # lol he has those too.
I do miss that system and will always be a Nak fan.
Marky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10377
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 47 HardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky View Post
I pretty much gave them to a friend of mine. I have a friend that we grew up on the same street together and he always drooled over the Nakamichi amps when I bought them new in the 80's. I ended up giving them to him for some work that was needed on my wife's Chevy Tahoe. He ended up with all 6 PA300II amps. He is running 4 of them along with a PA302 for his tweeters. I have second thoughts on hooking him up with them like I did but its ok I suppose. He isn't flushed with money and I was soft hearted to help him get a system into his truck.
He still has some of that to work off lol.

My Nakamichi system was a work of art, it really was. There are pictures under my profile on that install. I had a thermostat controlled fan setup even to keep those amps from overheating. It worked like a champ and even that looked good back there.

Check it out I'm sure you will like the wall of black amps. They sounded great too, only thing that was light was the bass. But it was well proportioned to be honest, just not overwhelming on bass. I later installed some JL 8W1V-3 woofers and they did very well. I think that was the # lol he has those too.
I do miss that system and will always be a Nak fan.
I need a friend like you. I wasn't able to find the old build though. U sure it's still up?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
HardCoreDore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10378
Upgrade Your Membership!

Living in the past......

Rep Power: 71 Marky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I need a friend like you. I wasn't able to find the old build though. U sure it's still up?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Its still in my original pictures under McIntosh build in progress or whatever I called it. They are older uploads from 2012 or 2013. I wrecked that truck unfortunately, fell asleep coming home late one night and put it through a guard rail and then a 18" pillar on I-5.

Was going to put same system back in but a buddy convinced me to try some newer different amps. So it was the end of 35 years running Nak gear. Was time for a change I will admit.

Look under my name and the folder has all the old Nakamichi pictures. It was a beautiful install. Had JL ZR-650-CSI components at the end and JL 8W1v3-4 subs for the 75 watt amps. They all did really well considering full out power was probably around 90 watts a channel. Ran 12 active channels in the truck with two Nak EC302 electronic crossovers splitting it up. I could turn that stereo up all the way and it was clear as a bell.
Those amps were not big on power but they were super clean power. I still have not seen specs that beat it.
5-50,000 Hz
S/N Better than 115dB
75 Watts @ 0.003THD
85 dB stereo separation
Damping of 1,000 ((4 ohms 1kHz)

Yea I looked it up lol
Were basically a ADS design plate amp that Nakamichi improved on. I love those things, still have my TD800 cassette player that I bought in 1984. Still works had a new belt put on it a few years ago.

Old 1 Week Ago   #10379

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 98 2fast4thelaw will become famous soon enough2fast4thelaw will become famous soon enough2fast4thelaw will become famous soon enough2fast4thelaw will become famous soon enough2fast4thelaw will become famous soon enough2fast4thelaw will become famous soon enough

Here is my Soundstream Continuum in near mint condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1852.jpg (123.8 KB, 38 views)
2fast4thelaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 2fast4thelaw For This Useful Post:
Hoye0017 (2 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago   #10380
Upgrade Your Membership!

Living in the past......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4thelaw View Post
Here is my Soundstream Continuum in near mint condition.
That amp is in Great Shape. I've seen that before but most are pretty beat up.
Soundstream put out some nice stuff. Funny thing is I just recently found out that their factory was only 30 miles from where I live.
Shame how almost all the car audio outfits are all gone. At least not making anything here in the states.
Hell even Japan is pretty much out of it too.
Old 5 Days Ago   #10381

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 98 2fast4thelaw will become famous soon enough2fast4thelaw will become famous soon enough2fast4thelaw will become famous soon enough2fast4thelaw will become famous soon enough2fast4thelaw will become famous soon enough2fast4thelaw will become famous soon enough

Everything's all made in China now so you have worry about knock offs. I sold the amp on Monday for $350.00 Not what I wanted but I will never use that amp.
Old 3 Days Ago   #10382
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 114 ARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enough

Talk about old school...rare and awesome. I would love to own this amp.

ROCKFORD FOSGATE POWER1000MOSFET TERMINATOR OLD SKOOL 1KWRMS+ 4CH AMP, USA!!! | eBay

ARCuhTEK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Days Ago   #10383
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 47 HardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCuhTEK View Post
Talk about old school...rare and awesome. I would love to own this amp.

ROCKFORD FOSGATE POWER1000MOSFET TERMINATOR OLD SKOOL 1KWRMS+ 4CH AMP, USA!!! | eBay
The seller is full of shit on the rarity aspect, they made way more than 100 of these. Still a really great old school amp for a collector. For SQ the best RF stuff came out a year or so later when RF bought out Hafler and started including their TransNova Circuitry in all the Punch DSM amps. I still think those early DSMs are some of the best sounding amps ever produced.

Old 3 Days Ago   #10384
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 89 capea4 will become famous soon enoughcapea4 will become famous soon enoughcapea4 will become famous soon enoughcapea4 will become famous soon enoughcapea4 will become famous soon enoughcapea4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The seller is full of shit on the rarity aspect, they made way more than 100 of these. Still a really great old school amp for a collector. For SQ the best RF stuff came out a year or so later when RF bought out Hafler and started including their TransNova Circuitry in all the Punch DSM amps. I still think those early DSMs are some of the best sounding amps ever produced.

Jimmy (the seller) is absolutely one of the most strait up and honest sellers in our community, I think everyone here would agree. He also said the words "I think" with his comment

As for the Hafler acquisition agree 100%
capea4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Days Ago   #10385
Upgrade Your Membership!

Classic cars & McIntosh

Rep Power: 127 MACS will become famous soon enoughMACS will become famous soon enoughMACS will become famous soon enoughMACS will become famous soon enoughMACS will become famous soon enoughMACS will become famous soon enough

Quote:

You have to look closely at the silk screening.

There are two variations of this amp. "Terminator Edition" screening is different than the much more common "Handcrafted in USA" screening.

There are only 100 of the "Terminator Edition" amps. They are well documented in the RF community. Jimmy has it right.

"I say stay long enough to repay all who caused strife." Layne Staley
MACS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Days Ago   #10386
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 114 ARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACS View Post

There are two variations of this amp. "Terminator Edition" screening is different than the much more common "Handcrafted in USA" screening.

There are only 100 of the "Terminator Edition" amps. They are well documented in the RF community. Jimmy has it right.
EXACTLY! Wayne Harris helped to develop this model and owned the first 6 of approximately 90-100 made. It is named after his legendary Terminator Hearse. I would love to have any of the Power 1000 or 1000C but a Terminator is rare, rare, rare.

Old 3 Days Ago   #10387

DIYMA freshman

That guy will never get $2000 grand for that amp. And that "I only polish it with my microfiber rag" WTF ever.
Old 3 Days Ago   #10388
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCuhTEK View Post
EXACTLY! Wayne Harris helped to develop this model and owned the first 6 of approximately 90-100 made. It is named after his legendary Terminator Hearse. I would love to have any of the Power 1000 or 1000C but a Terminator is rare, rare, rare.
I do remember the hearse in question. It made the rounds in many of the car audio mags back in the day. IIRC one build had a front firing 30 inch pro-audio woofer. It was nuts!

Regardless though, I still don't see $2000 in value but then I don't really "collect amps" per se. My "collection" is way too junky looking for that...

Old 3 Days Ago   #10389
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Some people dont see the value in various things....and some people do. I mean, master pieces get to be masterpieces because of human appreciation, not because someone looked at it and said...well hell its a canvas smeared with paint. So he may not get $2,000, but one thing is for sure, he is absolutely correct in that it is uber rare and it is, by the photos, in crazy good condition. These days I would be more afraid of a fake than anything, so I would have to figure out how to certify or verify its authenticity not just condition. On the other hand, people pay thousands of dollars for new amps all the time, so $2,000 does not seem all that bad, if collecting amps are your thing.

Old 3 Days Ago   #10390
Upgrade Your Membership!

Living in the past......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACS View Post

Soccorguru607 is no dummy, I picked up on that pretty quickly.

I'm sure he knows exactly what hes talking about as far as the rareness of the amplifier.
Me I don't care because those never blew my skirt up..

But surely someone will drool all over themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement