Sundown SD-3 Line : In the Works - Page 18 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2017   #426
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 61 crackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Sundown SD-3 Line : In the Works

Iamsv, I'm interested to see a pic of your enclosure!

crackinhedz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2017   #427

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 lamsv will become famous soon enoughlamsv will become famous soon enoughlamsv will become famous soon enoughlamsv will become famous soon enoughlamsv will become famous soon enoughlamsv will become famous soon enough

Soon as I hit the minimum posts, I will put up a couple pictures.
lamsv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017   #428

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 lamsv will become famous soon enoughlamsv will become famous soon enoughlamsv will become famous soon enoughlamsv will become famous soon enoughlamsv will become famous soon enoughlamsv will become famous soon enough

Here are a couple pictures. Just a simple, 1.1 cubic foot box with a 12" passive radiator from Earthquake.

Like I said, the overall net box volume, coupled with the stock weight of the passive radiator (no weight added to it) resulted in a tuning frequency of about 32hz. Which modeled really well in WinISD.

Old 03-23-2017   #429
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 61 crackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enough

That looks way cool! I don't know much about passive radiators, but that earthquake surround looks beast.

crackinhedz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017   #430

DIYMA freshman

In a nut shell, a passive radiator acts like a port. It just takes up a lot less volume than a port. It makes it easier to design a small enclosure with a low tuning. As we know, the smaller the box, the lower the tune, the bigger the port has to be.
Old 1 Week Ago   #431
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 121 manish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to manish

So for those with the 12" subs, what is the optimal size enclosure? i plan to do a pair in my JGC but one on each side of the rear. or one enclosure with them down firing. i listen to mostly jazz but will play some neo soul or rap every now and then.

Melodic Acoustic Intimid8r and Faital Pro 3FE22,dayton amtpod-4, 1 SS TN1.1200D, will be looking for 1 SS Synthesis dsp, JBL W12GTIMKII
manish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #432
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

Rep Power: 27 rob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsv View Post
Here are a couple pictures. Just a simple, 1.1 cubic foot box with a 12" passive radiator from Earthquake.

Like I said, the overall net box volume, coupled with the stock weight of the passive radiator (no weight added to it) resulted in a tuning frequency of about 32hz. Which modeled really well in WinISD.

So how does it sound?
rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rob feature For This Useful Post:
unix_usr (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #433

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 Rydsen will become famous soon enoughRydsen will become famous soon enoughRydsen will become famous soon enoughRydsen will become famous soon enoughRydsen will become famous soon enoughRydsen will become famous soon enough

So I've been off the forum here for quite some time and I thought I was done with my system and dropping whole paychecks to car audio until a friend asked me to help upgrade her car from all stock. That's a whole different project but needless to say I suggested she go with some Sundown's for her sub(s). But in researching stuff for her car, I came across the newer (for me) SD3's. I have a single SD2-10 D4 powered by 600w @ 2 ohms from a Kenwood XR900-5 sourced from a Pioneer 80PRS running everything active. It's in a 0.55 cu ft. prefab SuperCrew box stuffed with a little polyfill under the back seat of my 05 Frontier Crew Cab. It's been great and I still tinker with tune tweaks here and there even almost 4 years later trying to eek out as much low end as I can. It can really slam, that's for sure, but sometimes it seems to struggle for those LOW notes and I've had to punch up the bottom freqs on the EQ of my 80PRS to bring them out. However, in reading about the improvements the SD3's have over the SD2's I'm drawn back down the "what if" rabbit hole once more. So now I'm curious about a few things. 1.) Is it worth it to upgrade to a SD3? 2.) If so, should I just do a simple swap to the newer SD3-10 D4 or 3.) should I consider stepping up to either a single SD3-12 or 4.) go even bigger and build a new custom box for a dual SD3-12 substage that will somehow fit under the rear bench seat and add a second amp to power the second sub?

Whew, geez. I thought I'd made it out but I guess you can never truly leave car audio once you've drank the kool-aid.
Rydsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #434
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 102 PorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enough

I Don't think going from a 10 to a 10 is going to net you any more lows. But pickup two off the yard sale for cheap and give it a shot. Less than 75$each its hard to beat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

'15 Focus ST, SI M25, TM65v1, BM MKiv x2, ARC 1200.6, JBL MS 8
PorkCereal is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #435

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 Rydsen will become famous soon enoughRydsen will become famous soon enoughRydsen will become famous soon enoughRydsen will become famous soon enoughRydsen will become famous soon enoughRydsen will become famous soon enough

Damn, didn't think about the Yard Sale. I know it's all As-Is but how is most stuff that comes from there? For $150/pr for 12's, it's a hell of a bargain. Heck, I'd even order my friend's SD3-12 D4 we're planning on for her car, too.
Rydsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #436
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sundownz
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 210 sundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond repute

I have some close to final SD-3 8" protos... just need to tool up the aluminum front-gasket and then we can get rolling.

- Jacob Fuller
- Owner, Sundown Audio
- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK
- I DO NOT USE PMs -- Email me at sundownz@sundownaudio.com
sundownz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #437
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 102 PorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydsen View Post
Damn, didn't think about the Yard Sale. I know it's all As-Is but how is most stuff that comes from there? For $150/pr for 12's, it's a hell of a bargain. Heck, I'd even order my friend's SD3-12 D4 we're planning on for her car, too.
Ya, even if you need a recone kit you still come out ahead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

'15 Focus ST, SI M25, TM65v1, BM MKiv x2, ARC 1200.6, JBL MS 8
PorkCereal is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #438

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 Wrecker1 will become famous soon enoughWrecker1 will become famous soon enoughWrecker1 will become famous soon enoughWrecker1 will become famous soon enoughWrecker1 will become famous soon enoughWrecker1 will become famous soon enough

Will the 8" have the same box requirements? In other words, will I be able to do a simple swap without my wife getting mad at me?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Wrecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement