Sundown 6-Channel Ideas : Discuss - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #26

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 121 DejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Sundown 6-Channel Ideas : Discuss

I like the idea of staggered power, but not in a 30" footprint. How about something like this?

FD with RPS
CH 1-2 @ 100 x 2 @ 2-4 Ω
CH 3-4 @ 150 x 2 @ 2-4 Ω
CH 5-6 @ 200 x 2 @ 2-4 Ω / 400 x 1 @ 4 Ω bridged

CH 1-2 Crossover:
HPF Filter @ 50-7000 Hz
BYPASS/ALL-PASS switch (select HP or AP).
12/18/24 dB selectable slope

CH 3-4 crossover:
LP/HP/BP Filters @ 50-7000 Hz
BYPASS/ALL-PASS switches (select LP, HP, BP, or AP).
12/18/24 dB selectable slopes

CH 5-6 Crossover:

* 6 CH Input RCAs
* 2 CH Output RCAs
* “Input Select” switch to pick 2/4/6 inputs
* Level Remote for CH 5-6 if there's enough panel room
* Clip LED for each pair of channels if there's enough panel room
* Thermally controlled fan on a ~30 second delay (so it won't make sound when the system turns on; maybe an internal capacitor that allows the fan to keep running a short while after system power-off, if/when needed)
* Marine-grade water resistance.

...900W total RMS rated, so it could be crammed in a chassis size range similar to the NVX/PPI/Polk 5ch triplets, the PDX line, JL HD900/5, AudioControl LC-6.1200, and the like.
(around w:12-15" x d:7-9" x h:2-3")

If it's possible to do this with a targeted retail price tag in the $600-900 range, I think you'd probably have an absolute winner.

2011 Kia Optima EX Factory HU | Factory Speakers
Planning: Front Comps - Blaupunkt Vc660 (active) | Sub - Infinity Kappa 800w Infinite Baffle | 5ch Amp - decisions, decisions...
DejaWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 145 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

with the popularity of DSP, why not build an amp with no crossovers in it at all?

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
HelixDSP / Director
PG Elite.5
KAXBLTWT/Sinfoni Maestoso
IDQ8
miniSQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 78 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

I liked the staggard power on my old JL 450/4v2 until you have to use 8ohm tweeters.
DC/Hertz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 78 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
with the popularity of DSP, why not build an amp with no crossovers in it at all?
For some reason those end up costing more. I don't get it.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 249 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
We're a small niche of this hobby. How many people with aftermarket audio get a blank stare when you start talking about your magical signal bending device? As for amps without crossovers costing more, maybe they're trying to turn a higher profit margin off of us purists? I can't think of the last time I used the onboard crossovers on an amp. 12 years ago maybe when I learned my Alpine 9833 could do 3-way active?

OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, JL XD800/8, Soundstream TN1200.1, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...HASTE MAKES WASTE
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I guess you can put it in the catagory of different speaker wires for different styles of music.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #32
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC/Hertz View Post
For some reason those end up costing more. I don't get it.
because this is something done usually only in higher end amps.

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Yeah I know but isn't it funny how they remove a feature and the cost goes up.
I get why but it's odd. Purist always want to pay more. Those same purists are the ones that swap gear every week because they are not happy.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #34
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Quote:
Yeah I know but isn't it funny how they remove a feature and the cost goes up.
I get why but it's odd. Purist always want to pay more. Those same purists are the ones that swap gear every week because they are not happy.
where do you see cost going up? or are you comparing better amps with all preamp stage removed aside from gain to average amps that have a preamp stage?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Yeah the Zaps.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #36
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Yeah the Zaps.
internals are much different than the other z series.. not exactly a fair comparison

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #37
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 45 unix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enough

Having just bought a Zapco LX 6 channel ... this would have been very interesting to me. Like the Zapco though I'd prefer no x-overs/frills. I do like the staggered power output though - my sole complaint really with the Zapco is that I'm nowhere near leveraging the channels used solely for tweeters.

While on the subject though (of sundown prototypes - sorry if hijacking a bit here), I saw a post a while back about you building a prototype sub for infinite baffle arrangement - what ever happened to that? I've got a 12Z v4 I've been toying with the idea of running in IB but I honestly don't know how well it will work out short of trying it and might consider something else (as long as it comes from Sundown - love your stuff man). Any suggestions/comments on using 12z v4 in IB ?

Current build (working on version 2) -> 2015 Mustang GT PP, Zapco DC series amps & DSP, all active.

Version 2: Zapco LX 6 A/B for mains, Zapco Z3K D for 12" Sundown Z12 in IB, miniDSP C68 integrated with custom micro to OEM processing and controls...
unix_usr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #38

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 121 DejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enough

How about a compact 7 channel tailored for SQ 3-way front stage + sub?

General Specs:
CH 1-2 @ 75 x 2 @ 2-4 Ω
CH 3-4 @ 100 x 2 @ 2-4 Ω
CH 5-6 @ 150 x 2 @ 2-4 Ω
CH 7 @ 550 x 1 @ 2-4 Ω

CH 1-2 Crossover:
HPF Filter @ 50-7000 Hz
BYPASS/ALL-PASS switch (select HP or AP).
12/18/24 dB selectable slope

CH 3-4 crossover:

CH 5-6 Crossover:

CH 7 Crossover:
LP Filter @ 20-120 Hz
BYPASS/ALL-PASS switches (select LP or AP)
12/18/24 selectable slopes
Subsonic HP @ 10-50 Hz @ 48 dB

...1200W RMS, so putting that in a smaller-ish chassis like some of your competitors are doing would still be feasible.

2011 Kia Optima EX Factory HU | Factory Speakers
Planning: Front Comps - Blaupunkt Vc660 (active) | Sub - Infinity Kappa 800w Infinite Baffle | 5ch Amp - decisions, decisions...
DejaWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement