LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 jaguar5822 will become famous soon enoughjaguar5822 will become famous soon enoughjaguar5822 will become famous soon enoughjaguar5822 will become famous soon enoughjaguar5822 will become famous soon enoughjaguar5822 will become famous soon enough

Default Best $300 or less front speakers setup for a c5 corvette recommendations please

I am looking for a recommendation as to what the best 6.5-8" component speakers are for my setup for general listening, 75% rock 25% rap/pop. It will be going in a c5 corvette, I will mount the tweeters in the A-pillars. Door location can fit up to 8" woofers but probably not super deep. I need front mids tweeters and crossovers, don't know how to set them up or active vs passive. Worth it to take some of the money and use it for a better amp and cheaper speakers? I'm open to suggestions to make the system sound the best using $300 any way. I am open to buying used as well. I was thinking of the Alpine SPX-17ref or pro but really have no clue. Happy with current subwoofer setup. Don't have the Imprint, but willing to buy that with part of the budget if that's the best way to go. I will do some light dynomat and some closed cell foam to cover the door.

Current equipment:
Alpine x305s HU
Crossfire CFA602 amp
Kicker CVR12 sub
Power Acoustik CR380-2x for fronts

Thanks for any help in pointing me in the right direction.
jaguar5822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 41 Ruleslawyer will become famous soon enoughRuleslawyer will become famous soon enoughRuleslawyer will become famous soon enoughRuleslawyer will become famous soon enoughRuleslawyer will become famous soon enoughRuleslawyer will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Best $300 or less front speakers setup for a c5 corvette recommendations please

Interested in active, or you want a passive set? The amp you have is a 2 channel. Are you currently running the front of the HU?
Ruleslawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 jaguar5822 will become famous soon enoughjaguar5822 will become famous soon enoughjaguar5822 will become famous soon enoughjaguar5822 will become famous soon enoughjaguar5822 will become famous soon enoughjaguar5822 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Best $300 or less front speakers setup for a c5 corvette recommendations please

I currently have the stock bose system installed. This will be a fresh install. I am open to active if that's the best sound I'll get for $300. I don't know how to set it up but I will figure it out from the forums here if that's the best way to go for my system.

I will also have 10-15 yr old MB Quart components, not sure on the model number until I pull them from my other car, but the highs sound like crap to me, but then again they are set up without a real crossover, IIRC the tweeters connect to the woofers through some resistors or something which I assumed to filter lower frequencies, and they're also being run off a $150 head unit. I can pull the speakers today and post an update in a few hours before you give me advice.

Thanks,
James
Old 08-23-2011   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 41 Ruleslawyer will become famous soon enoughRuleslawyer will become famous soon enoughRuleslawyer will become famous soon enoughRuleslawyer will become famous soon enoughRuleslawyer will become famous soon enoughRuleslawyer will become famous soon enough

MB quart Q 4.80 $139 It has a good built in cross over network
MB Quart Q4.80 (Q480) Q-Series 4-Channel Car Amplifier

Dayton RS-180 $49 x2
Dayton Audio RS180-4 7" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm

Tweets- Errr not sure. I'm sure someone will have a suggestion though. Active is going to be a bit more tuning work, but you'll get better sound for the $$$
Old 08-23-2011   #5

DIYMA freshman

OK got the speakers I can use are circa 1998 MB quart, don't know the specs on them, can upload pictures if it will help:

6.5" MB Quart QM 160 TD
4 ohm

1"? QM 13 HX
6 ohm

Will that Alpine work well with these? I'm going to try them out and then replace if need be, but I'm guessing they'll sound wayyyy better than how they're hooked up now. They are using a 3 inch long skinny tube crossover and hooked straight to the head unit, no amp. I didn't do the install obviously.
Old 08-23-2011   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Arominus will become famous soon enoughArominus will become famous soon enoughArominus will become famous soon enoughArominus will become famous soon enoughArominus will become famous soon enoughArominus will become famous soon enough

Those QM's should come to life once they are hooked up to some real power. They will sound completely different. You're off to a good start there! If you wan to go active the pxa-h100 is a good choice, You'll need a 4 channel amp to push the front soundstage if you decide to go that route. For now i would just hook them up to your amp with the passives and see what you get.
Arominus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

NCSQ Founding Member

Rep Power: 99 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

Search for username Tarheels1 on this forum he has an '07? Vette with Image Dynamics components in there. I heard them this weekend and they are rocking. He has them running passive on some Arc mini amps. I am very impressed with them. Those should be on your list to demo if you can find a dealer nearby.

They did WHAT to that monkey?!?! -Anonymous
Notloudenuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #8

DIYMA freshman

I don't have any good passive x-overs. So for keeping the components I already have, I have two suggestions here, go with the pxa-h100 and any decent 4 channel amp, or get the MB Quart Q4.80 which has good built in crossovers and use that. I want to install everything at once, one time, and be done with it. From my understanding, if I get the pxa-h100 I can also buy the stuff to do the Imprint for about $30, it seems like that would be the way to go for best sound quality right?
Old 08-24-2011   #9

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar5822 View Post
I don't have any good passive x-overs. So for keeping the components I already have, I have two suggestions here, go with the pxa-h100 and any decent 4 channel amp, or get the MB Quart Q4.80 which has good built in crossovers and use that. I want to install everything at once, one time, and be done with it. From my understanding, if I get the pxa-h100 I can also buy the stuff to do the Imprint for about $30, it seems like that would be the way to go for best sound quality right?
If you don't have any passives, I think the q4.80 or q4.150 is a no brainer. Hook up the speakers you already have to it and see how it sounds. There are probably others with a descent crossover setup on it, but I own a q4.80 and know it will do what you need. You can always add a pxa-h100 later. FWIW RF 3sixty.2 are going for $200-225ish used if you're considering spending money on a processor.
Old 08-24-2011   #10

DIYMA freshman

From looking around, I want to get the pxa-h100 and set up the imprint on the x305s to have a better tuned system. That will cost $150ish with the imprint kit, so what are some good used amps I can pick up for under $150 to use with it? Just with a quick search, I've turned up these locally on craigslist, there is pretty much anything available on there if I know what to search for:

Alpine MRP-F300 $100
MEMPHIS 16-st3004 amp $150
MTX 4 channel amp TA3404 $160
Rockford p4004 $125