LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 117 LiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enough

Default RE vs. JL vs. Focal Component Sets

Hi all, my buddy recently got a W6 installed in to his car. He loves it, but his current component system can't keep up (Alpine Type R set w/ 5.25's). He wants to get something that can blend in better with the sub & is looking at JL audio C5-650's and Focal Polyglass 165's. I told him to also look into the RE XXX component set because I thought I remembered hearing that they were pretty good at hitting the low notes (thus blending better).

What's the general consensus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCE View Post
your sig is a little out of date.
LiquidClen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 48 antikryst is on a distinguished roadantikryst is on a distinguished roadantikryst is on a distinguished road

Default Re: RE vs. JL vs. Focal Component Sets

i have the focal v30. very very nice set even if its being powered by a mediocre amp.

focal just released the ps165. which is their entry level polyglass. new for 2011. that might merit a look at least.

cant speak for the other brands you mentioned though.
antikryst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 78 ZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enough

I think if you want component speakers with a lot of bass, take a look at Massive audio CK6 Stage V. Stage III have decent reviews, but a lot of reviewers say that Stage III crossover does not tame tweeters enough. Supposedly Stage V will fix that.

By the way. Are you looking for 5-1/4 inch or 6-1/2 components? I think the blending issue may have to do with the current woofer size. 5-1/4 inch components will not play as low as 6-1/2, which can make "meeting" a lot of subwoofers challenging. I have 6-1/2 inch version of type-r components together with an Infinity Kappa 120.9w subwoofer, and I feel like there are no blending issues. They play decently low with good volume and have a lot of head room. The components are crossed at 70Hz and the subwoofer is crossed at 80Hz with 18dB slope. The subwoofer output is relatively weak above 60Hz, it kinda rolls off naturally, but it seems a little cleaner in those frequencies than my previous subwoofer, so I bumped its crossover frequency up to 80Hz. It's also time aligned with the front stage, the best I could do. But.. if I was looking for an upgrade from Alpine Type-R's, I'd look into Massive audio CK6 or RK6. I was kind of interested in JL's C5 series, but there are almost no reviews of them.
ZAKOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 117 LiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKOH View Post
I think if you want component speakers with a lot of bass, take a look at Massive audio CK6 Stage V. Stage III have decent reviews, but a lot of reviewers say that Stage III crossover does not tame tweeters enough. Supposedly Stage V will fix that.

By the way. Are you looking for 5-1/4 inch or 6-1/2 components? I think the blending issue may have to do with the current woofer size. 5-1/4 inch components will not play as low as 6-1/2, which can make "meeting" a lot of subwoofers challenging. I have 6-1/2 inch version of type-r components together with an Infinity Kappa 120.9w subwoofer, and I feel like there are no blending issues. They play decently low with good volume and have a lot of head room. The components are crossed at 70Hz and the subwoofer is crossed at 80Hz with 18dB slope. The subwoofer output is relatively weak above 60Hz, it kinda rolls off naturally, but it seems a little cleaner in those frequencies than my previous subwoofer, so I bumped its crossover frequency up to 80Hz. It's also time aligned with the front stage, the best I could do. But.. if I was looking for an upgrade from Alpine Type-R's, I'd look into Massive audio CK6 or RK6. I was kind of interested in JL's C5 series, but there are almost no reviews of them.
Yes I told him he definitely needed to step up to 6.5's

Quote:
Old 08-31-2011   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 43 Florida Rep will become famous soon enoughFlorida Rep will become famous soon enoughFlorida Rep will become famous soon enoughFlorida Rep will become famous soon enoughFlorida Rep will become famous soon enoughFlorida Rep will become famous soon enough

What type of amps, car?

The polyglass would be the best option. Visit a local store that sells both. Then crank it wide open and see which ones keep their composure.. Focal will win everytime. I have a set of ps165 Focal components that I demo against every brand for the dealer...its not even a comparison..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Florida Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Rep View Post
What type of amps, car?

The polyglass would be the best option. Visit a local store that sells both. Then crank it wide open and see which ones keep their composure.. Focal will win everytime. I have a set of ps165 Focal components that I demo against every brand for the dealer...its not even a comparison..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
2003 -era Mustang and some type of Kicker amp. (75 or 100x4 I think)

Quote:
Old 08-31-2011   #7

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Visions Electronics
Position:
Salesmen

Rep Power: 0 nednerbf will become famous soon enoughnednerbf will become famous soon enoughnednerbf will become famous soon enoughnednerbf will become famous soon enoughnednerbf will become famous soon enoughnednerbf will become famous soon enough

I have owned both the focals and the JL's and personally I have found that i like the Focals signicantly more at a similar price point. The tweeter sounds nicer and the mid bass feels more open. you get a lot of mid bass out of the focals in comparison.
nednerbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 425 FAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond repute

You're from FL, support JL audio (your friendly neighborhood audio company).

They've got great quality products too.

2chguy: nut up man... this is car audio we're talking about
2chguy: if it was easy, it would be called home audio
FAUEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 69 kvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKOH View Post
The CK6 definitely have enough midbass to blend in with the 12W6. It's what I had in the Mazda, and once I have time, I will be rocking the same setup in the Honda as well. I hope the new xovers do indeed fix the only flaw in that set.

Who gives a fuck, I can't hear above 15kHz anyway...
Wtf????? Where this shyt com from?? Nd why the Hell they point u out??? Who told u.this? Dats Fukn childish
kvndoom will become famous soon enough
kvndoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #10

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 48 antikryst is on a distinguished roadantikryst is on a distinguished roadantikryst is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednerbf View Post
I have owned both the focals and the JL's and personally I have found that i like the Focals signicantly more at a similar price point. The tweeter sounds nicer and the mid bass feels more open. you get a lot of mid bass out of the focals in comparison.
lots of midbass on the v30s. i can at least say that much since thats what i have.
Old 08-31-2011   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 cytribe will become famous soon enoughcytribe will become famous soon enoughcytribe will become famous soon enoughcytribe will become famous soon enoughcytribe will become famous soon enoughcytribe will become famous soon enough

I'd have to agree with the V30s, the midbass blends really well with the sub to give a nice punch, many tracks have that almost jump out of your seat when the bass kicks factor.
cytribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

V30's are a little out of price range, but how do they compare to the Dynaudio 242's??

Quote:
Old 09-02-2011   #13

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClen View Post
V30's are a little out of price range, but how do they compare to the Dynaudio 242's??
if its just a little out of your price range... try and go for it still. havnt seen anyone yet who thought the v30s werent worth their price.
Old 09-02-2011   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 43 Florida Rep will become famous soon enoughFlorida Rep will become famous soon enoughFlorida Rep will become famous soon enoughFlorida Rep will become famous soon enoughFlorida Rep will become famous soon enoughFlorida Rep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikryst View Post
if its just a little out of your price range... try and go for it still. havnt seen anyone yet who thought the v30s werent worth their price.
x100 million!!
Florida Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 67 SQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClen View Post
2003 -era Mustang and some type of Kicker amp. (75 or 100x4 I think)
There is a HUGE amount of airspace behind the kicks of that model mustang. I have L8SE's in there, with L1R2's in the pillars. No problem keeping up with my subwoofer.

2007 Audi A4 2.0t Quattro
Team MSE/JL
SQ Audi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #16
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 245 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Had the pleasure to compare the C5 and the V30. Both are really good speakers and both have their own sonic signature: V30 is more neutral sounding while the C5 is more dynamic sounding...
The Xover adjustments are slightly better on the C5 - both have adjustments on the TW and the MD.
Resolution and definition is pretty much similar on both sets but the V30 has an easier time playing lower freqs (50Hz-63Hz) than the C5.

Subwoofer integration is a matter of subwoofer distorsion and tuning. No need to buy the set that digs the deepest... You can have perfect integration with a 5.25" driver.

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote