LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 78 UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

Default 10W7 vs 12W6v2

Both in sealed enclosures with 1000 clean watts available.

More cone area on the 12 but more excursion on the 10....or is that really relevant ?

Which one and why, please ?

2012 Ram R/T
DRZ9255, 6to8v8, Mosconi AS200.4 (x2), Focal Utopia Be N*7, Illusion Audio Carbon C12XL
UNBROKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 63 fahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 10W7 vs 12W6v2

Tried the same. If you only listen to rap with lots of bass, 10W7. But if you listen to rock, jazz, classical, pop, etc go with the 12W6. The W7 only hits low notes, I found it very lacking in kick drums and had no impact there at all. Really good down low though. With the same Power and a sealed box that was made to JL specs I decided to go a different route.

2013 MECA Street World Champion
2013 IASCA Rookie Runner-Up
Link to my 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDi build log
fahrfrompuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 131 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrfrompuken View Post
Tried the same. If you only listen to rap with lots of bass, 10W7. But if you listen to rock, jazz, classical, pop, etc go with the 12W6. The W7 only hits low notes, I found it very lacking in kick drums and had no impact there at all. Really good down low though. With the same Power and a sealed box that was made to JL specs I decided to go a different route.
That was the enclosure, not the sub. The 10W7 will play 80hz easily and it will do kick drums extremely well. It's a better sub than the W6 in every way.

With that said, I prefer the larger cone area with less excursion route. I'm sure either would work fine really. It might be more of a choice of which one fits your budget and install requirements.

Do you own these subs already?

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'14 Trance SX with SRAM XX1 1x11 Drivetrain.
'06 TL.
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 63 fahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
That was the enclosure, not the sub. The 10W7 will play 80hz easily and it will do kick drums extremely well. It's a better sub than the W6 in every way.

With that said, I prefer the larger cone area with less excursion route. I'm sure either would work fine really. It might be more of a choice of which one fits your budget and install requirements.

So the enclosure huh? What specs on the box would you try to get the impact you spoke of?

Old 01-02-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 131 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
So the enclosure huh? What specs on the box would you try to get the impact you spoke of?
Did you have it in a sealed or ported enclosure? One of the most musical sub setups I've heard was a 10W7 in a ported box in an F-150. It just did everything right. Don't know the specs though. Don't get me wrong, I've heard the W7 and plenty other subs that sounded muddy and would only play rap but that was always a setup issue.

For SQ the first thing I would do is ditch a JL spec sealed box and go with something bigger. And also ditch the JL ported box and go with something tuned lower.

Think of the W7 as a W6 with a lot more excursion. Unfortunately the W7 gets put in an "SPL" box due to it's Power handling and high excursion capability but it's an SQ sub that gets loud.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'06 TL.
Old 01-02-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

I've given up on sealed or ported. I think I will try my 13W7 or the IDMAX12 I just bought IB to see how that sounds.

Old 01-02-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 78 UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I still have a 10W6 and a 10W7. I bought a 12W6 to try a while back but sold it to a friend before I ever did. I'm buying another now from a member here.

2012 Ram R/T
DRZ9255, 6to8v8, Mosconi AS200.4 (x2), Focal Utopia Be N*7, Illusion Audio Carbon C12XL
Old 01-02-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNBROKEN View Post
I still have a 10W6 and a 10W7. I bought a 12W6 to try a while back but sold it to a friend before I ever did. I'm buying another now from a member here.
Have you considered a 13W6 or 7? The addidional cone area of the 13.5 would mean less excursion and less distortion. The 13W6 also has a bit more usable excursion than the 12. It would be a fairly significant difference in output while sounding good.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'06 TL.
Old 01-02-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
I've given up on sealed or ported. I think I will try my 13W7 or the IDMAX12 I just bought IB to see how that sounds.
I'm jealous of a 13W7 IB. You won't be disappointed.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'06 TL.
Old 01-02-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
I'm jealous of a 13W7 IB. You won't be disappointed.
You know I was about to sell it and then found threads talking about how good it is IB. I am just trying to figure out how to fit it in my application.

Question: Would you say 13W7 or 1, maybe 2 IDMAX12's in IB?

And sorry to thread jack. But I agree about the 13W6 or 7. I liked how the 13W7 sounded, not the 10W7. I like more rock, jazz, etc though. The days of hip hop boom are over for me. The 13 has that low low for hi hop, but also hit the kick drums in rock music. It's just so big.

Last edited by fahrfrompuken; 01-02-2012 at 04:30 PM..
Old 01-02-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I'm limited on width for an enclosure....even a 12 is pushing it with material thickness accounted for.

2012 Ram R/T
Old 01-02-2012   #12

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 162 bassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond repute

A boomy w7 system is usually due to a lack of midbass and tuning vs. the driver itself.
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 76 Angrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enough

12w6
Angrywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

That's what she said.

Rep Power: 85 adrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond repute

I'd do the W7, but at what impedance does the amp deliver 1k?

Humph umph tsk tsk hump umph tsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZ View Post
It's not Tchaikovsky. But it's still music that people like and that people want to listen to. Therefore, the goal is to meet that demand. When you let your audio system dictate the music you listen to, you've lost.
adrenalinejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 58 ousooner2 will become famous soon enoughousooner2 will become famous soon enoughousooner2 will become famous soon enoughousooner2 will become famous soon enoughousooner2 will become famous soon enoughousooner2 will become famous soon enough

...I know where you all can get 12w6's

'13 Accord Sport (black): looking at options now
'04 TL (sold): RF BLD/ MS-8 / IDmax-Audison SR1dk / ID CXS62v2- ID Q450.4 / CLD,MLV,CCF
ousooner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

That's what she said.

Rep Power: 85 adrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
...I know where you all can get 12w6's

Details?

Quote:
It's not Tchaikovsky. But it's still music that people like and that people want to listen to. Therefore, the goal is to meet that demand. When you let your audio system dictate the music you listen to, you've lost.
Old 01-14-2012   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 91 SmallSoldier will become famous soon enoughSmallSoldier will become famous soon enoughSmallSoldier will become famous soon enoughSmallSoldier will become famous soon enoughSmallSoldier will become famous soon enoughSmallSoldier will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Did you have it in a sealed or ported enclosure? One of the most musical sub setups I've heard was a 10W7 in a ported box in an F-150. It just did everything right. Don't know the specs though. Don't get me wrong, I've heard the W7 and plenty other subs that sounded muddy and would only play rap but that was always a setup issue.

For SQ the first thing I would do is ditch a JL spec sealed box and go with something bigger. And also ditch the JL ported box and go with something tuned lower.

Think of the W7 as a W6 with a lot more excursion. Unfortunately the W7 gets put in an "SPL" box due to it's Power handling and high excursion capability but it's an SQ sub that gets loud.
BuickGN,

I am in the same situation as the OP... I own both subs (12W6 and 10W7), have one amp that should work well with both (JL 500/1) and need to decide which one to use... Both would be installed in a sealed enclosure (JL recommends the same size for either) since space is a constrain and would like to keep it to a minimum

With that said, I am planning on cutting pretty low (around 50Hz with probably a 12db slope) since the midbass should be able to play almost everything above that point (Dyn MW172)... Would you think the 10 would be behave as good or better than the 12?

Thanks in advance!
SmallSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

That's what she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallSoldier View Post
BuickGN,

I am in the same situation as the OP... I own both subs (12W6 and 10W7), have one amp that should work well with both (JL 500/1) and need to decide which one to use... Both would be installed in a sealed enclosure (JL recommends the same size for either) since space is a constrain and would like to keep it to a minimum

With that said, I am planning on cutting pretty low (around 50Hz with probably a 12db slope) since the midbass should be able to play almost everything above that point (Dyn MW172)... Would you think the 10 would be behave as good or better than the 12?

Thanks in advance!

I believe the W7 will sounds better in the lower octaves that you are aiming for, but hey you have both woofers Build an enclosure for both and decide for your self. If you don't do that, you're going to stay with the doubt and that isn't fun.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2012   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 91 SmallSoldier will become famous soon enoughSmallSoldier will become famous soon enoughSmallSoldier will become famous soon enoughSmallSoldier will become famous soon enoughSmallSoldier will become famous soon enoughSmallSoldier will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalinejunkie View Post
I believe the W7 will sounds better in the lower octaves that you are aiming for, but hey you have both woofers Build an enclosure for both and decide for your self. If you don't do that, you're going to stay with the doubt and that isn't fun.
You are right my friend... At the end, I need to try both... I will work on the 10w7 first, since it is the best option due to size and will try the 12w6 later on
SmallSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 198 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

I posed the same question to Manville and his recommendation was a pair of 12W6v2s over the pair of 10W7s with each 12 in 1.5cf net sealed per driver. Granted, this was for my Mini and with half the power, but still.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

One would assume that his answer would apply to 1/2 the drivers....I hope. lol

2012 Ram R/T
Old 01-19-2012   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 58 ousooner2 will become famous soon enoughousooner2 will become famous soon enoughousooner2 will become famous soon enoughousooner2 will become famous soon enoughousooner2 will become famous soon enoughousooner2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I posed the same question to Manville and his recommendation was a pair of 12W6v2s over the pair of 10W7s with each 12 in 1.5cf net sealed per driver. Granted, this was for my Mini and with half the power, but still.
Yup. I and BuickGN on here have both experimented with the 12w6's in 1cuft, 1.25cuft, and 1.5cuft sealed. Best results are in 1.5cuft

'13 Accord Sport (black): looking at options now
'04 TL (sold): RF BLD/ MS-8 / IDmax-Audison SR1dk / ID CXS62v2- ID Q450.4 / CLD,MLV,CCF
ousooner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 246 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

10W7 or 12W6v2?

12W6v3 BABY !!!!!!!

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 76 Angrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
10W7 or 12W6v2?

12W6v3 BABY !!!!!!!

Kelvin
Won't be out for a few months and will have a higher MSRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angrywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Put the 12W6 in today....same 1.6 ft^3 sealed enclosure I had the 10W7 in. Very happy I made the switch. Has the "sound" I liked from my 10W6 plus the output I liked from the 10W7....

I have a question though. Every other sub I've ever run got "louder" when I rolled the windows down. This one seems to stay exactly the same. Where did my cabin gain go?

2012 Ram R/T