LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 33 TommyTuffnuts will become famous soon enoughTommyTuffnuts will become famous soon enoughTommyTuffnuts will become famous soon enoughTommyTuffnuts will become famous soon enoughTommyTuffnuts will become famous soon enoughTommyTuffnuts will become famous soon enough

Default Upgrade to the 2013 Mustang Shaker 500

Hi guys,
I've been lurking around this forum for awhile. There is a ton of great information here. I do have a question regarding the Mustang Shaker 500 System.

Right now the car is stock (well, at least the audio is ). I have two 10w6's going into a custom box for the trunk. I haven't decided on the component speakers I need for the rear deck and doors yet, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

The Shaker 500 includes two 8" door subs that sound terrible. I was wondering if I bought some 8" mid bass drivers and ran them right off the factory amps, would they play as designed or would they be trying to thump out low bass? Also, would voltage be an issue with these? I believe the factory speakers run at 5v. I'm integrating the factory head unit with an AudioControl LC6i.

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say. Thanks
TommyTuffnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 33 TommyTuffnuts will become famous soon enoughTommyTuffnuts will become famous soon enoughTommyTuffnuts will become famous soon enoughTommyTuffnuts will become famous soon enoughTommyTuffnuts will become famous soon enoughTommyTuffnuts will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Upgrade to the 2013 Mustang Shaker 500

Well, after a little more research I was able to answer my own question about the mid bass speaker output. I'm still not sure if its worth it to replace the factory subs with new mid bass speakers. Could I use the factory subs as mid bass speakers? Do I need some kind of crossover or filter to keep the low bass out of them?
This is all in the planning stage, I haven't started ripping panels off yet.
Old 03-26-2012   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 33 05Daytona will become famous soon enough05Daytona will become famous soon enough05Daytona will become famous soon enough05Daytona will become famous soon enough05Daytona will become famous soon enough05Daytona will become famous soon enough

Not sure if you have looked at them or not but the Shelby Kicker 8" door kit isn't bad.
It uses Kicker Comp VT and is only about $140 for the complete kit.
05Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #4

DIYMA freshman

No I haven't, I'll check that out now. thanks
Old 03-26-2012   #5

DIYMA freshman

After doing more and more reading, It's becoming painfully obvious that I'm going a bit overboard with this whole plan. I just don't understand enough about crossovers and signal processors to dial all these speakers in the way they should be.
So this is what I'm going to do.
I have the 10w6's already, so I'm going to get started on the box for these. I'm thinking one box but each sub having its own sealed chamber at about .6 cubes.
These I'll power with a 1500D Hifonics at 1ohm.
I'm going to integrate the factory head unit with the AudioControl LC6i. The alternative to this is a 500 dollar piece of plastic with a bunch of cheap buttons on it and a hole that I have to fill with another head unit...not doing that
I want to sound deaden everything with the exception of under the front seats and under the headliner.
Replace the door speakers and rear deck speakers and run those off a 4 channel amp.
I'm going to leave the door subs alone for now. If that turns out to be a mistake, I'll just disconnect them or bring the car to someone that knows what they are doing.
Does any (or all) of this sound ridiculous?
Old 03-26-2012   #6

DIYMA freshman

Haha...well, none of this is valid anymore. Ford changed up the shaker system for the 2013. Good thing I didn't go crazy buying equipment.
New shaker system
1" tweeters, components, and mid bass in each door
full range in rear deck and two 8" subs in trunk
Time to start over.
Old 03-26-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 77 ZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTuffnuts View Post
Haha...well, none of this is valid anymore. Ford changed up the shaker system for the 2013. Good thing I didn't go crazy buying equipment.
New shaker system
1" tweeters, components, and mid bass in each door
full range in rear deck and two 8" subs in trunk
Time to start over.

Not bad. This could fill the frequency spectrum pretty well. However, still no center channel speaker? When will this become standard on all cars? I assume imaging is still lousy. It would be nice though to insert something like JBL MS-8 into the chain.
ZAKOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 mcesarey will become famous soon enoughmcesarey will become famous soon enoughmcesarey will become famous soon enoughmcesarey will become famous soon enoughmcesarey will become famous soon enoughmcesarey will become famous soon enough

Are you talking about the Shaker or Shaker Pro? I've been desperately trying to find tech info on the new Shaker systems to no avail. I understood it to be components up front (I assumed 5x7 component), same 8" door subs, 5x7 coax in rear deck, then the Shaker Pro adding a sub in the trunk.

I'll be picking up my 2013 GT/CS in exactly 1 month so I've been trying to dig this stuff up as well.
mcesarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 33 05Daytona will become famous soon enough05Daytona will become famous soon enough05Daytona will become famous soon enough05Daytona will become famous soon enough05Daytona will become famous soon enough05Daytona will become famous soon enough

The 05-09 and I think the 10 and even 11 Shakers systems ran 4 6x8s powered by the head unit, and the two 8" woofers in the doors with their own amps in the kick panels.
The Shaker 1000 added the dual subs in the trunk with the built in amp.
I think the 13s should have the new Shaker 370 and 550 but I am not sure what is in them.
Old 03-29-2012   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 mcesarey will become famous soon enoughmcesarey will become famous soon enoughmcesarey will become famous soon enoughmcesarey will become famous soon enoughmcesarey will become famous soon enoughmcesarey will become famous soon enough

In another Mustang forum, someone told me that the 4 5x7(6x8) speakers are powered by a factory 4 channel amp that is located near the rear deck, and the 2 door subs are powered by another 4 channel ( I believe) amp that is located near a kick panel somewhere.

All the interior pics I've seen of the 2013 look like it has the same oval openings in the door panels, so I assumed it's the same 6x8 but now it must be a component version, and it looks like there's still 8" door subs.

There are a few reviews on YouTube that claim it sounds much better than the previous Shaker 500. I had planned on replacing the door subs with the Shelby/Kicker model but with everything being different this year, I'm not sure if they're still compatible.

Last edited by mcesarey; 03-29-2012 at 02:27 AM..
Old 03-29-2012   #11

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcesarey View Post
In another Mustang forum, someone told me that the 4 5x7(6x8) speakers are powered by a factory 4 channel amp that is located near the rear deck, and the 2 door subs are powered by another 4 channel ( I believe) amp that is located near a kick panel somewhere.

All the interior pics I've seen of the 2013 look like it has the same oval openings in the door panels, so I assumed it's the same 6x8 but now it must be a component version, and it looks like there's still 8" door subs.

There are a few reviews on YouTube that claim it sounds much better than the previous Shaker 500. I had planned on replacing the door subs with the Shelby/Kicker model but with everything being different this year, I'm not sure if they're still compatible.
I know for a fact that the older Shaker systems ran the 4 6x8s off of the deck and not an amp plus the add on Kicker Amp plugs in directly between the deck and the factory wiring harness. They would not run an amp into another amp.
The 8" door woofers are dual 1.2 ohm coils but that doesnt mean that they use a 4 channel amp. The replacement woofers are only single coil and only use the wires from one of the two channels.

Ford was calling the shaker 500s an 8 speaker system. I guess they counted the 6x8s upfront as 2 speakers each.
I honestly don't think is has changed much.
Old 03-29-2012   #12

DIYMA freshman

I got a copy of this from another forum, its right out of the catalog

ShakerTM System
Includes or replaces features of single-CD with
MP3 capability plus:
• 8 speakers
– One 1" tweeter in each door
– One 5.5" x 7.5" midrange speaker in each door
– Two 8" subwoofers in trunk
– Two full-range speakers in back
– Two amplifiers mounted in instrument panel
• 370 watts of power
• Folder/track mode allows the audio system to play
and seek through disc tracks with or without folder
option (available with MP3 discs only)
• RDBS (Radio Data Broadcast System) functions,
when selected, allow the following:
– Only for FM radio stations supporting RDBS
capability
– Radio station call letters appear on radio display
– Type of music format appears on radio display
– Search for type of music format
– Traffic information broadcasts
• Occupancy setting allows for one of three vehicle
acoustic settings to be chosen
Old 03-29-2012   #13

DIYMA freshman

That sounds good. I had seen a picture of the white pre-production 2013 GT/CS at the Barrett Jackson auction in January and it must have had the old Shaker system in it.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-con...ia-special.jpg

This picture made me think that the speaker configuration would be largely the same as before, but it must be this way because it's a pre-production model.

Thanks a bunch for the info and I look forward to seeing what you guys do to upgrade it!
Old 03-29-2012   #14

DIYMA freshman

I have seen shaker speakers look like both of these. The first is out of a 1000 the second is a 500. Doesn't matter which you have ford still labels it as 2 speakers. These were borrowed from other sites.
The bottom one is what the 500s from my nephew mustang looked like.

The 13s may look just like the top one but I don't know as I still haven't see them.

Old 04-04-2012   #15

DIYMA freshman

Now that there are plenty of pics/videos of the 2013, I'm pretty convinced the new Shaker system is the same speaker configuration as the 500. Door subs and 5x7s all around. I don't doubt that there are two amplifiers, one for the subs and one for the 4 5x7s, but I think the two subs mentioned above are in the doors, not the trunk. I sort of figured there would be a video on youtube of someone pulling a door panel by now.
Old 04-04-2012   #16

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcesarey View Post
Now that there are plenty of pics/videos of the 2013, I'm pretty convinced the new Shaker system is the same speaker configuration as the 500. Door subs and 5x7s all around. I don't doubt that there are two amplifiers, one for the subs and one for the 4 5x7s, but I think the two subs mentioned above are in the doors, not the trunk. I sort of figured there would be a video on youtube of someone pulling a door panel by now.
The speaker config wouldn't suprise me at all.
The old 500 and 1000s had the 5x7s all run off the deck not a seperate amp. Each of the door subs had its own amp in the front kick panels. The 1000 added the two truck mount subs with either one or two amps on a bracket that mounted behind the subs.
I think the new systems are almost the exact same things but updated hardware with a more accurate power rating
Old 04-04-2012   #17

DIYMA freshman

There is actually a video on youtube now of someone pulling a door panel, and it's the exact same speaker config as before. I think the door panel is exactly the same as the '11-'12 as well.
Old 04-04-2012   #18

DIYMA freshman

From what I understand. The regular shaker system has no door subs. The shaker Pro will have the 8" door subs plus the 2 subs in the trunk. Here is what they say about the shaker pro.

Shaker Pro System
Includes or replaces features of the Shaker
System plus:
• Enhanced bass performance
• 10 speakers
– One 1" tweeter in each door
– One 5.5" x 7.5" midrange speaker in each door
– One 8" subwoofer in each door
– Two full-range speakers in back
– Two 10" subwoofers in trunk
– Two subwoofer amplifiers mounted in
instrument panel
– Four subwoofer amplifiers mounted in the
trunk panel
• 550 watts of power

Last edited by TommyTuffnuts; 04-04-2012 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 04-04-2012   #19

DIYMA freshman

This should help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 13_Mustang_SB.pdf (1.65 MB, 67 views)
Old 04-04-2012   #20

DIYMA freshman

I see...I can't believe I haven't seen that pdf before. Every interior shot I've seen of a 2013 looks like there's a sub in the door, so maybe there's just a blank plate there on non-Shaker pro models. Either that or every one I've seen just happens to have the Shaker pro. I guess we'll all know shortly. Only 25 more days until I pick mine up.
Old 04-08-2012   #21

DIYMA freshman

Finally got confirmation from a guy who just picked up his 2013 GT Premium on a Mustang forum I go to. The bulletin pdf that was put out by Ford was a misprint. The standard Shaker setup has door subs, no subs in the trunk. He said that he had a 2011 GT as well, and it sounds pretty much no different for the 2013.
Old 04-08-2012   #22

DIYMA freshman

I was looking at a GT on ebay and it had door subs. I emailed the seller asking if was the standard shaker or the shaker pro. He replied back and said it was the standard shaker system. So that .pdf I found is full of crap.
Old 04-08-2012   #23

DIYMA freshman

It had some good info but I was a little suspect of some of the details. For instance, when it showed the pony projection lamps, it was on a Shelby of the old body style! I wonder if it was a concept they were kicking around back then?

Also, I saw the article that the picture is from that 05Daytona posted above. Those are out of the same car, a 2011 GT w/Shaker 500. That's a front and rear, which makes sense how Ford describes the fronts as having a tweeter and the rear as being "full range" because it's a single speaker with a whizzer tweeter.
Old 04-08-2012   #24

DIYMA freshman

I don't pick mine up till June, so please post some pics when you get yours.
Old 04-08-2012   #25

DIYMA freshman

Will do, I'll have it in 22 days.

So far, I'm thinking of just putting 4 Infinity Kappa 6x8's and the Shelby/Kicker door subs in it and leaving everything else. I try not to get too caught up in car audio because I'm in to home theater, and am getting more in to computer audio. I get caught up in car audio but in the back of my mind I realize that once the car is going down the road, you don't get high-end sound, so I try not to waste money chasing it. Every car I've soaked effort into has sounded amazing sitting still with the engine off, but loses that quality once going down the road. It's a very delicate balance, because I would also like to get Roush axle-backs, which don't really work with an SQ setup.