LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 36 ScottyGreen is on a distinguished roadScottyGreen is on a distinguished roadScottyGreen is on a distinguished roadScottyGreen is on a distinguished roadScottyGreen is on a distinguished road

Default Need an 8" midrange for 2 way active setup

I am currently running a dynaudio esotec 242 which consists of
the md102 tweeter (keeping that!) and a 6.5" midrange/woofer
I'm needing a really great 6.5" or 8" that can play up to 2.2k where my tweets play down to and do it with close to the same vocal accuracy as what I have now. They will be ran active, selling my passive xovers and the mw162's

The midbass is pretty lacking and looking to find a suitable 8" or 6.5" that
can shake my pant leg a bit while maintaining good vocal accuracy.
I was told my current mw162 can take up to 200hrs to break in... I can't wait that long to see. Doors are deadened etc about all I can do already. I had some focal 165v30 anniversary editions and the midbass was pretty decent but I can't buy just the midranges alone. I sent those back because I simply hated the tweeter no matter what I did.

I have considered these:
dynaudio mw172 (8") (can't afford the esotar 6.5")
rainbow kick profi vanadium 6.5"
legatia L8v2 or L8SE 8", even L6 (6.5") if they are decent?
hertz mille ML1600
image dynamics x69 (6x9 midbass)

Have 150w rms for each from a JL600/4

I have pretty large doors depth wise and I think I can get most 8" to fit with a few mods/cutting.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance to all suggestions!

DEH-80PRS - 18sound 6ND430//CDT ES-02 Midtweeter - JBL w12gti mkII - JL HD600/4 - RFT1000.1bd - Mechman 250a Alt

Last edited by ScottyGreen; 05-24-2012 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: change
ScottyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Back Yard Installer

Rep Power: 124 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

Default Re: Need an 8" midrange for 2 way active setup

You could look at pro-audio drivers like these, for example.
B&C 8NDL51 is a lightweight 8" woofer that woofer - B&C speakers - B&C 8NDL51 neodymium 8" mid-bass Speaker for 2 or 3-way systems. B&C 8NDL51 neodymium bass speakers available now.

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 36 ScottyGreen is on a distinguished roadScottyGreen is on a distinguished roadScottyGreen is on a distinguished roadScottyGreen is on a distinguished roadScottyGreen is on a distinguished road

Sorry, forgot to mention I need 4ohm... I wouldn't have the Power at 8ohms to run something like that. I have 150w x2 at 4ohms to work with.

I am seriously contemplating legatia L8v2 ... from the hybrid site info it says it can be used as a 2 way... or maybe the L6
the hertz ML1600 6.5"
Rainbow Kicks Vanadium 6.5"

I need something that will play clean up to about 2-2.5k to meet my tweets

The reason I'm scared to try the dyn 8" is because of the terribly long break in period.

any suggestions folks would be appreciated.
thanks

DEH-80PRS - 18sound 6ND430//CDT ES-02 Midtweeter - JBL w12gti mkII - JL HD600/4 - RFT1000.1bd - Mechman 250a Alt
Old 05-24-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

12V Company:
Ground Zero USA

Rep Power: 225 Scott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGreen View Post
Sorry, forgot to mention I need 4ohm... I wouldn't have the Power at 8ohms to run something like that. I have 150w x2 at 4ohms to work with.

I am seriously contemplating legatia L8v2 ... from the hybrid site info it says it can be used as a 2 way... or maybe the L6
the hertz ML1600 6.5"
Rainbow Kicks Vanadium 6.5"

I need something that will play clean up to about 2-2.5k to meet my tweets

The reason I'm scared to try the dyn 8" is because of the terribly long break in period.

any suggestions folks would be appreciated.
thanks

Considering how much more efficient they are then a 4ohm model, they will prob get louder off of 75 watts at 8 ohms then other 4 ohm 8" at 150 watts.
Scott@GZUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #5

DIYMA freshman

btw I just checked the frequency response on that B&C and it has a crazy peak
in FR between 1-2k 5db sharp up... Don't know if I would feel comfortable with that...

anyone have experience with the hertz ML1600
legatia L8v2
or possibly even the image dynamics X69 (6x9 midbass)

in a 2 way?

Old 05-24-2012   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 74 SkodaTeam will become famous soon enoughSkodaTeam will become famous soon enoughSkodaTeam will become famous soon enoughSkodaTeam will become famous soon enoughSkodaTeam will become famous soon enoughSkodaTeam will become famous soon enough

The old ML1600 is great midbass with excelent midrange up to 3khz! Almost good as Dynaudio MD170! Very fast, accurate and neutral sound, cannot play very low 65-70hz 18db is ok

Pioneer DEXP9/Hiquphon OW4/ Hertz ML1600/ Peerless XXLS 10/ PPI Art Ax606.2
SkodaTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 48 Kasperfc will become famous soon enoughKasperfc will become famous soon enoughKasperfc will become famous soon enoughKasperfc will become famous soon enoughKasperfc will become famous soon enoughKasperfc will become famous soon enough

Buy the mw 170 secondhand, save money and already broken in.
Kasperfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 73 todd217 will become famous soon enoughtodd217 will become famous soon enoughtodd217 will become famous soon enoughtodd217 will become famous soon enoughtodd217 will become famous soon enoughtodd217 will become famous soon enough

I just picked up a used set of mw170 last week if you want buy a new set from woofersect and I'll trade you.
todd217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #9

DIYMA freshman

Alrighty... slight change of plans...

I will be using the driver as midbass duty only now from 70hz-250hz (approx)

After alot of research I'm considering these two drivers. 1 is 6.5" the other 8"

18sound 6nd430-4 (4ohm version) 6.5"
pros: literally no extra mods to my doors that I haven't already done
could play midrange up high too if I want to experiment with higher xover points
great reviews from others
cons: overall output compared to an 8"?

B&C 8NDL51 (8ohm, high efficiency) 8"
pros: probably Bad-A midbass response
great reviews from others
cons: heavy door mods, crappy shape to work with on basket
not sure how "loud" it will get off of 75w rms, although with said high efficiency it might be surprising

Any thoughts?

Last edited by ScottyGreen; 05-30-2012 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-30-2012   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 44 mkeets will become famous soon enoughmkeets will become famous soon enoughmkeets will become famous soon enoughmkeets will become famous soon enoughmkeets will become famous soon enoughmkeets will become famous soon enough

People seem to like the Peerless SLS for dedicated midbass. Might also want to look into exodus anarchys for a 6.5" they get loud enough for me (sub is a AA Havoc 15) but I can't compare them for to your other options.
mkeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 gdean83 will become famous soon enoughgdean83 will become famous soon enoughgdean83 will become famous soon enoughgdean83 will become famous soon enoughgdean83 will become famous soon enoughgdean83 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to gdean83

Scotty, what did you end up doing?
gdean83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #12

DIYMA freshman

I still haven't decided... I ended up getting a pioneer 80prs and went active for the first time so I'm still playing around with that... it made my dyns really sing, although still lacking in the midbass dept. I have plenty of Power on hand to Power a great midbass in the door. They are pretty solid also as far as vibrations.

I guess my whole hang up is finding a great midbass that will also play my midrange well since it is a 2 way active setup. I'm scared if I find something that plays my midbass tones well that it is going to suck in the the midrange vocal dept...

Still wanting ppls input if they have any... I'm really leaning towards trying out the 8" B&C to be honest, just don't know how the midrange sounds on those?

Old 06-12-2012   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 80 so cal eddie will become famous soon enoughso cal eddie will become famous soon enoughso cal eddie will become famous soon enoughso cal eddie will become famous soon enoughso cal eddie will become famous soon enoughso cal eddie will become famous soon enough

I was running dual 6.5" boston 6.4s for midbass, and it was still lacking. So,I went on a mission to find midbass. I went to many dealers to demo different sets, and I finally ran into a Dyn dealer. He had the system 260 installed in his car, I listened for 2 minutes, and I handed over my credit card. The 170s had the perfect balance of midbass and midrange to me. It was a night and day improvement over the boston 6.43 setup with an extra midbass.

I would suggest the 172s, and you could have a system 262, essentially. If you go with an mw180, you will be disappointed with the midrange performance. Same with the morel 9" driver. By the way, the 172 and 162 are completely different to me in regards to midbass. There really is not much of a comparison. If you aren't happy with the 172s, you can sell them for a small loss as they tend to hold a good amount of value.
so cal eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #14

DIYMA freshman

That was very helpful. I was wondering about the 172's but unsure if they would sound much different than the 162 sounds now... That is good to hear that the midrange is also quite good on those. I did also think of the 180 or whatever model that was and saw the freq response charts and decided against it, so that was helpful that you backed up my suspicions on that one...

Still dying to know midrange response of a B&C 8" though...

Old 06-12-2012   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

When the music's over

Rep Power: 68 Wesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enough

Check out this thread and work something out?
I give up now, can't fit my Dyn Mw170

1982 Porsche 911 SC, Pioneer P88-RSII active 2-way front + sub, Genesis Series III 4 Channel, 1&2 to Hertz ML 1600 woofers, 3&4 bridged to a JBL GTO 804 sub in the front trunk, Vifa XT25 sc-90 04 tweeters powered by a Genesis Series III Stereo 60.
Wesayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #16

DIYMA freshman

Still wondering about the midrange response of the B&C mentioned just above?

Will any of these play midrange comfortably up to 2.5k in a 2 way setup?

B&C 8ndl51
B&C 8ps21
sundown neo8
selenium 8w4p
Beyma Pro8mi

Kind of not wanting to spend the dough on HAT 8's

Last edited by ScottyGreen; 06-21-2012 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: add
Old 06-21-2012   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 80 basher8621 will become famous soon enoughbasher8621 will become famous soon enoughbasher8621 will become famous soon enoughbasher8621 will become famous soon enoughbasher8621 will become famous soon enoughbasher8621 will become famous soon enough

I have a buddy who is selling some L8v1's, $275 shipped

Team Mosconi/Gladen
Team AudioNutZ
DAD Subwoofers
Panny Tube--Mosconi AS300.2 and 200.4(2)--Gladen Aerospace 165.3--DAD BD12(2)--Mosconi 6to8v8
basher8621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

That's what she said.

Rep Power: 85 adrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond repute

The "Real Deal" with 8 ohm drivers

Humph umph tsk tsk hump umph tsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZ View Post
It's not Tchaikovsky. But it's still music that people like and that people want to listen to. Therefore, the goal is to meet that demand. When you let your audio system dictate the music you listen to, you've lost.
adrenalinejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

Recovering Ampoholic

Rep Power: 86 SoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via Yahoo to SoundJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by basher8621 View Post
I have a buddy who is selling some L8v1's, $275 shipped
The V1's sound like shit above 300hz. I know, I had a pair. The V2 and SE models are much more capable midranges. V1 is a dedicated midbass.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

New ride - 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid - rockin the stock shit.....for now
2013 USACi Super Modified Q Champion 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser (retired)
2011 USACi Modified Q Champion 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Team Focal
Team Audionutz South
SoundJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 110 SSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGreen View Post
Still wondering about the midrange response of the B&C mentioned just above?

Will any of these play midrange comfortably up to 2.5k in a 2 way setup?

B&C 8ndl51
B&C 8ps21
sundown neo8
selenium 8w4p
Beyma Pro8mi

Kind of not wanting to spend the dough on HAT 8's
The B&C 8NDL51 won't be clean playing that high. I keep wanting to recommend the illum 7" but they have a breakup between 2 and 3 kHz that I don't like. The midbass is awesome but they just can't reach quite that high cleanly.

BTW- I own both of the drivers referenced and this recommendation comes from my experience using them iin 2 way applications.

Traveling down the path to audio nirvana one painful step at a time...
SSSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #21

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 76 duckymcse will become famous soon enoughduckymcse will become famous soon enoughduckymcse will become famous soon enoughduckymcse will become famous soon enoughduckymcse will become famous soon enoughduckymcse will become famous soon enough

I went from MW162 to MW172 about a year ago because the midbass of the MW162 just doesn't hit hard and massive enough. There are a few songs that the MW162 speakers would pop when I crank up the volume that I like to listen to. Once I replaced with the MW172, everything solved for me.
I never thought the MW172 would sound good about 1khz, so I always been running 3-ways active it. In the last couple of days, I got bored and tried just running the MW172 with Morel Supremo tweeters and mute my midrange drivers. Wow! The MW172 sound pretty good up to 2.5Khz.
Right now, I am crossing the MW172 from 63hz - 2.5Khz @ 24db and highpass my tweeters from 2.5Khz up @ 24khz. I think I like it more than my old 3-way active setup. My mood changed all the time, let see how long this setup will keep me happy
duckymcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #22

DIYMA freshman

anyone used one of these 2? (remember, for a 2 way up to 2.5k)
sundown neo8
Beyma Pro8mi

I may just try the mw172 afterall unless one of these other drivers seems like a good possible fit. The whole reason I was avoiding these is because of their incredibly long break-in period.

Thanks to ^ above for their feedback!

Last edited by ScottyGreen; 06-22-2012 at 11:21 AM..
Old 06-22-2012   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 59 ousooner2 will become famous soon enoughousooner2 will become famous soon enoughousooner2 will become famous soon enoughousooner2 will become famous soon enoughousooner2 will become famous soon enoughousooner2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymcse View Post
I went from MW162 to MW172 about a year ago because the midbass of the MW162 just doesn't hit hard and massive enough. There are a few songs that the MW162 speakers would pop when I crank up the volume that I like to listen to. Once I replaced with the MW172, everything solved for me.
I never thought the MW172 would sound good about 1khz, so I always been running 3-ways active it. In the last couple of days, I got bored and tried just running the MW172 with Morel Supremo tweeters and mute my midrange drivers. Wow! The MW172 sound pretty good up to 2.5Khz.
Right now, I am crossing the MW172 from 63hz - 2.5Khz @ 24db and highpass my tweeters from 2.5Khz up @ 24khz. I think I like it more than my old 3-way active setup. My mood changed all the time, let see how long this setup will keep me happy

What was your midrange?

'13 Accord Sport (black): looking at options now
'04 TL (sold): RF BLD/ MS-8 / IDmax-Audison SR1dk / ID CXS62v2- ID Q450.4 / CLD,MLV,CCF
ousooner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 119 T3mpest will become famous soon enoughT3mpest will become famous soon enoughT3mpest will become famous soon enoughT3mpest will become famous soon enoughT3mpest will become famous soon enoughT3mpest will become famous soon enough

I have a set of BMS 8N515.. best midrange you'll find in an 8 IMHO and one of the best midranges I've ever heard, PERIOD! 96db/1w/1m so super effecient (ie loud) to boot. They wont' make your pants flap, but they will make you blink when a snare hits and have enough real midbass (80-300hz) to make my leather seats vibrate with my seats all the way back and the speakers deep in my kickpanels.. Last time I demoed the FOCAL SQ drum track the guys mouth opened in disbelief. Even my coworker said mouthed "holy shit" although he may have said it outloud and simply couldn't hear him.. Nearly true to life level output.. Probably best to crossover at 80hz, they play fine that low with authority, much lower is pushing it. Not super super deep too, so I'd say door mounting is a good possibility. You dont' "need" 4ohm trust me.. Most 4 ohm drivers your looking at are 88-91db/1w/1m.. They need between 4x and 8x the Power to get as loud as these drivers will and since doubling impedence only cuts Power by 2x, you do the math... Heck, add anothe decibel or two for power compression on any 4ohm Speaker at 150 watts. Your gonna need a very deadened door though ;-) send me a notification if your interested.

edit: totally forgot to mention, they will play flat higher than you'd ever need them too lol. Very low distortion and 3 demodulation rings so they can basically play fulllrange. I've run a 10khz tone through them at high volumes and they can play nearly as loud as my horns can... I run them up to 1.2k right now only becuase my horns can play that low... I've crossed them at 2k before and it's fine... Like I said it's about perfect for what you need afaik.

Last edited by T3mpest; 06-22-2012 at 04:00 PM..
T3mpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #25

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 76 duckymcse will become famous soon enoughduckymcse will become famous soon enoughduckymcse will become famous soon enoughduckymcse will become famous soon enoughduckymcse will become famous soon enoughduckymcse will become famous soon enough

My midrange is HAT L3SE. My feeling is really mixed right now. Sometime I like the sound of 2-way and other time I like it sound on 3-way.
I probably need a bigger midrange, than maybe I might be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
What was your midrange?
duckymcse is offline   Reply With Quote