LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 111 BEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enough

Default Alpine PDX-V9

Very few reviews out there on this amp... Anyone using one? Thoughts?

I can pick one of these up for about $300 less than a JL 900/5. That leaves a lot of money for other stuff...

Have stuff. Makes noise.
BEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 67 whitet will become famous soon enoughwhitet will become famous soon enoughwhitet will become famous soon enoughwhitet will become famous soon enoughwhitet will become famous soon enoughwhitet will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Alpine PDX-V9

Very interested as well!

I was looking at the JL 700/5, but this looks to be a better option for similar money!
whitet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 111 BEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enough

Seems to be HD900/5 power at XD700/5 pricing... Too good to be true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have stuff. Makes noise.
Old 05-25-2012   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 thx138 will become famous soon enoughthx138 will become famous soon enoughthx138 will become famous soon enoughthx138 will become famous soon enoughthx138 will become famous soon enoughthx138 will become famous soon enough

Mine should be here by the end of the day. Seems like a good deal from a small clean amp.
thx138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 32 KSpan will become famous soon enoughKSpan will become famous soon enoughKSpan will become famous soon enoughKSpan will become famous soon enoughKSpan will become famous soon enoughKSpan will become famous soon enough

This one is at the top of my short list as well. Can't find a shop around here that has one to listen to though.
KSpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 thx138 will become famous soon enoughthx138 will become famous soon enoughthx138 will become famous soon enoughthx138 will become famous soon enoughthx138 will become famous soon enoughthx138 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
This one is at the top of my short list as well. Can't find a shop around here that has one to listen to though.
I had the same issue and ended up finding someone with one installed in their car and listened to that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
thx138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012   #7

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Soundscape Car Audio
Position:
Owner / Custom Installer

Rep Power: 58 UngaroCD will become famous soon enoughUngaroCD will become famous soon enoughUngaroCD will become famous soon enoughUngaroCD will become famous soon enoughUngaroCD will become famous soon enoughUngaroCD will become famous soon enough

Check out the Hertz HDP5. It retails a couple hundred less than the JL HD and sounds a lot better! Dynamics and harmonics are all there!

I also haven't heard the PDX-V9, so maybe they're catching up, I don't know.

Dan Ungaro - Owner/Installer
Soundscape Car Audio - Plano TX
UngaroCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx138 View Post
I had the same issue and ended up finding someone with one installed in their car and listened to that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
What were your impressions of it?

Have stuff. Makes noise.
Old 06-06-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Bought one. Could not convince myself to pay more for the same power. FWIW, the birthsheet says 116x4 and 581x1. Hoping to have it, and everything else installed by the end of the week.

Have stuff. Makes noise.
Old 06-07-2012   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 CrimsonCountry will become famous soon enoughCrimsonCountry will become famous soon enoughCrimsonCountry will become famous soon enoughCrimsonCountry will become famous soon enoughCrimsonCountry will become famous soon enoughCrimsonCountry will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAVER View Post
Bought one. Could not convince myself to pay more for the same power. FWIW, the birthsheet says 116x4 and 581x1. Hoping to have it, and everything else installed by the end of the week.
Very nice! I've been looking at these for a while. It looks to be a great, cheaper (relatively speaking) alternative to the HD. Be sure to let us know how you like it once you get everything installed.

2006 4Runner
DIY 3-way Active/Passive: Dayton RS180-4, RS100-4, ??Tweet?? / P900.4, Dayton H.O. 10" / Kenwood XR-1S, 3Sixty.2.
CrimsonCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 75 ZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Seems to be HD900/5 power at XD700/5 pricing... Too good to be true?
Nah.. the HD900/5 is overpriced due to lack of competition in the past. Watch it drop in price as more more high power compact 5-channel Class D amplifiers appear on the market.
ZAKOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 63 Hedonistic1 will become famous soon enoughHedonistic1 will become famous soon enoughHedonistic1 will become famous soon enoughHedonistic1 will become famous soon enoughHedonistic1 will become famous soon enoughHedonistic1 will become famous soon enough

I am also very interested in a sound quality review. I have been looking at these amps since they first came out but was skeptical to buy one without some feedback from people. I know the first gen PDX amps had some issues so if they still exist i will look elsewhere.

Just bought a focus ST with the 10 speaker Sony system, it needs to go and i need to upgrade soon!
Hedonistic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Hope to have a verdict soon. Been balls deep in my truck all day long. Got the doors sealed and deadened, built a little platform to mount the amp to, ran 90% of the wiring and started on some baffles. Still going.

Have stuff. Makes noise.
Old 06-09-2012   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 151 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Hope to have a verdict soon. Been balls deep in my truck all day long. Got the doors sealed and deadened, built a little platform to mount the amp to, ran 90% of the wiring and started on some baffles. Still going.

Eager to hear as I disliked all the pdx amps I had prior but this is perfect for my setup. The sub will be the epic 8"?

Alpine INE-S920HD - Zapco Studio 300x - Zapco CK 16.2 comps- RF T-400.2 - Ground Zero Hydrogen 8"
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Yup. Got an Epic 8, a set of Dayton RS180's on the way and a set of super cheap tweets to hold me over until I upgrade. Figured I'd at least try em.

Have stuff. Makes noise.
Old 06-09-2012   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 151 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Yup. Got an Epic 8, a set of Dayton RS180's on the way and a set of super cheap tweets to hold me over until I upgrade. Figured I'd at least try em.

Nice stuff. Ive used so many tweeters with the rs180. Its my go to woofer.

If theyre down in the door lp them 2k 24db slope if possible

Then I found the best response if your tweets are higher on doors or panels to cross around 2.5 - 3.5 at 12db and mess with phase

Plenty tweeters can be paired up with the rs180s, you dont necessarily need to highpass at 2k

my fave combo were

rs180s/ESB tweet

Rs180/maxfi

And this tb is a great choice in silk or ceramic. Silk is sweet. I use the ceramic in my center at home and I think I pkrefer the silk.

Tang Band 25-1166SJ 1" Neodymium Tweeter 264-834

Also the seas neos and xt25s will work

I got some xt25s around

Alpine INE-S920HD - Zapco Studio 300x - Zapco CK 16.2 comps- RF T-400.2 - Ground Zero Hydrogen 8"

Last edited by tyroneshoes; 06-09-2012 at 02:36 PM..
Old 06-09-2012   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I'm pretty limited with crossovers right now with the JVC. 18 dB slopes is as steep as it goes and it doesn't allow gaps. :-(

If I need a gap, I plan to use the HP on my amp, but I'm limited to 12 dB slopes, there.

I may need to make an upgrade at head unit or add a processor, but this should get me going for now.

Have stuff. Makes noise.
Old 06-09-2012   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Thats no big deal, as long as you have access to a crossover you can adjust to taste

What jvc headunit?

What current tweeters?

Old 06-09-2012   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

JVC KD-SH1000... As for tweets ... Right now I have a set of Powerbass 2 3/4" OEM replacement speakers going in the dash. I'm not expecting much, but like I said, they were cheap... And they fit. lol

I plan on experimenting with a bunch of tweeters. They're cheap n easy.

Have stuff. Makes noise.
Old 06-18-2012   #20

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 31 Libertyguy20 will become famous soon enoughLibertyguy20 will become famous soon enoughLibertyguy20 will become famous soon enoughLibertyguy20 will become famous soon enoughLibertyguy20 will become famous soon enoughLibertyguy20 will become famous soon enough

I have the old PDX-5 and have not had any problems with it. The birth sheet says 99x4 and 401x1, but all these specs are rated at a constant 14.4 volts, which is pretty unrealistic to get in a car unless you plan ahead to control that.

That said, I'm happy with mine, but the new model's more compact design and more power makes me tempted too....I'm running a set of the JL ZR's for my front....I probably don't even need the extra power......hummm desicions decisions
Libertyguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Since this was posted I went ahead and bought one. I have it installed and couldn't be happier with it. It makes plenty of power and doesn't require much room. For me, it was just what the doctor ordered.

Have stuff. Makes noise.
Old 06-18-2012   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 63 Hedonistic1 will become famous soon enoughHedonistic1 will become famous soon enoughHedonistic1 will become famous soon enoughHedonistic1 will become famous soon enoughHedonistic1 will become famous soon enoughHedonistic1 will become famous soon enough

I got tired of waiting for beaver to get his instal done and some feedback on the V9 and since i have the room and the money i went ahead and ordered the Zuki Hybrid 5.

Just bought a focus ST with the 10 speaker Sony system, it needs to go and i need to upgrade soon!
Hedonistic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #23

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 49 TheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enough

I have two PDX-F4's and love them. This is the newest member of the new generation of PDX amps so I am expecting it will sound just as good as my PDX-F4's. Assuming these get good feedback from members here I am going to pick one up. These newer PDX amps are light years ahead of the 1st generation PDX amps.

2000 BMW 323Ci Convertible - Hertz Mille (Old Version) ML1600, ML280, IDMAX 10 (IB), MB Quartz QSC210 & MTX 240 (rear fill), JBL MS-8, Alpine PDX-V9, PDX-F6, Pioneer DEH-80PRS. Coming Dynaudio 1600, 650, 430 & Morel CDM-88.
TheHulk9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 70 MacLeod will become famous soon enoughMacLeod will become famous soon enoughMacLeod will become famous soon enoughMacLeod will become famous soon enoughMacLeod will become famous soon enoughMacLeod will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Since this was posted I went ahead and bought one. I have it installed and couldn't be happier with it. It makes plenty of power and doesn't require much room. For me, it was just what the doctor ordered.

How's this thing in terms of turn off pops and such? Thinking about going with one of these. Im tired of taking up my whole trunk with amps and one of these could power my whole system and nearly fit in the glovebox! But with MECA's noise nazi practices these days, any kind of on/off pop is a no-no.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Zero noise with mine. I've had no issues. I'm still really happy with it.

Have stuff. Makes noise.