LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 UM Fan86 will become famous soon enoughUM Fan86 will become famous soon enoughUM Fan86 will become famous soon enoughUM Fan86 will become famous soon enoughUM Fan86 will become famous soon enoughUM Fan86 will become famous soon enough

Default Hybrid Audio in a Camry

To preface this.. I'm very new to Hybrid Audio, but everything I've read has been amazing (albeit, most forums are a couple years old when google brings it up heh).*

I used to have a Ford Edge with a 13W7 matched with a JL 1000/1v1 and a pair of component C5's and coaxial C5's with a JL HD 600/4, and an extra battery and cap. *I know it's not the most amazing system, but I wanted to build a slight background before posting in regards to my position now. The bass in that setup (for my predominant hip hop taste in music, but slight rock as well) was just overbearing compared to my mids and highs. I'd have to turn down the bass in some songs, or I couldn't finish some songs at Max volume because I just couldn't take the pressure..

I now own a 2012 Toyota Camry LE and am in love with the stock cd player and would like to keep it. I'm just faced with a dilemma on HAT products to choose from and amplify them with. I'd prefer to stick to JL subs and amps. Namely the hd 1200/1 and 600/4 (two of the mids and highs amps if necessary..). Also is the clean sweep the best sound quality OEM processor to connect amps to?*

I Was reading that the Legatia L4 series drivers are awesome, but what to pair them with, as far as tweeters go or a midbass or what have you? As you can see I'm trying to delve into a more SQ oriented system and more detail and away from the basic audio I guess. I'm not opposed to pillar mounting some drivers and dash installing speakers or tweeters.. L4's as opposed to the 6's or 8's? Both or what?

And I've heard wondrous things in regards to 12W6v2(3?)'s... Would two be ideal for a setup proposing mid bass, other drivers, and tweeters?*

Would I need a rear stage assortment to match the front? If so, would I need to mount a piece of mdf under the rear dash to brace said mounting speakers? Would it be worth cutting a slot port from the trunk, for the subwoofers? Sealed or ported? *Lots of questions, but it's steadily becoming a dream system that I want -perfect- *

I appreciate the help in advance. I've googled ideas and questions and numerous times this site has come up answering them all, so I finally decided to just post my own question for answers. Thanks.*
UM Fan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

jtaudioacc

12V Company:
JT Audio & Accessories
Position:
Owner/Installer/Janitor

Rep Power: 71 jtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Hybrid Audio in a Camry

you can fit the HAT L3V2 or L3SE in the stock location if you want to try going tweeterless. for a processor, I'd suggest you get a DSP unit to mate to your factory radio.

jtaudioacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 45 pocket5s will become famous soon enoughpocket5s will become famous soon enoughpocket5s will become famous soon enoughpocket5s will become famous soon enoughpocket5s will become famous soon enoughpocket5s will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaudioacc View Post
you can fit the HAT L3V2 or L3SE in the stock location if you want to try going tweeterless. for a processor, I'd suggest you get a DSP unit to mate to your factory radio.
And Scott just posted several L3SE's in another thread for sale. Trade up/refurb/damage box items. Far less than retail.

Team MSE/JL Audio

Online Time Alignment Calculator
Having a GTG? Try posting it here. Image gallery, attendee list, maps, etc. all free
pocket5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 UM Fan86 will become famous soon enoughUM Fan86 will become famous soon enoughUM Fan86 will become famous soon enoughUM Fan86 will become famous soon enoughUM Fan86 will become famous soon enoughUM Fan86 will become famous soon enough

I appreciate the replies, but I'm a little confused. I have 6x9's on the front and rear deck. You're saying I should baffle down to fit that 3 1/4" speaker? I also have 2" tweeters mounted to the dash. So omit those?

Any DSP's you suggest? I've never went this route.
Old 07-19-2012   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 114 psycle_1 will become famous soon enoughpsycle_1 will become famous soon enoughpsycle_1 will become famous soon enoughpsycle_1 will become famous soon enoughpsycle_1 will become famous soon enoughpsycle_1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UM Fan86 View Post
I appreciate the replies, but I'm a little confused. I have 6x9's on the front and rear deck. You're saying I should baffle down to fit that 3 1/4" speaker? I also have 2" tweeters mounted to the dash. So omit those?

Mount the L3SE's in the dash, L6's in the door.

As for DSP, the Mosconi 6to8 would be my choice. It accepts high level inputs and will allow you to keep the factory head unit.

Team Hybrids
Team Hitman...
psycle_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 45 pocket5s will become famous soon enoughpocket5s will become famous soon enoughpocket5s will become famous soon enoughpocket5s will become famous soon enoughpocket5s will become famous soon enoughpocket5s will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UM Fan86 View Post

You can ditch the rear 6x9's. and the front ones for that matter. psycle_1's suggestion is correct. L6 in the doors and L3SE in the dash, especially if you are only using the 600/4 for mids/highs.

The mosconi is a good dsp from what I've heard. There is also the BitTen or BitOne which accept high level inputs from your headunit. I don't recall if the zapco unit does or not.

The nice thing with the dsp units mentioned is the VAST amount of tuning you can do, and do it in real time and listen while doing it.

Team MSE/JL Audio

Having a GTG? Try posting it here. Image gallery, attendee list, maps, etc. all free
Old 07-19-2012   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 BamaJohn will become famous soon enoughBamaJohn will become famous soon enoughBamaJohn will become famous soon enoughBamaJohn will become famous soon enoughBamaJohn will become famous soon enoughBamaJohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaudioacc View Post
Seeing that you've done this with a Prius and likely have also done it with a 2012 Camry, which do you prefer in terms of best car for imaging/staging using the factory locations?

My brief stint in rental versions of both left me with the impression the Prius would be better due to the flatter windshield (simpler reflections), symmetrical dash layout, and the slightly better on-axis angle of the factory Prius locations.

Are there any other factors you have noticed working on these?
BamaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

jtaudioacc

12V Company:
JT Audio & Accessories
Position:
Owner/Installer/Janitor

Rep Power: 71 jtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJohn View Post
Seeing that you've done this with a Prius and likely have also done it with a 2012 Camry, which do you prefer in terms of best car for imaging/staging using the factory locations?

My brief stint in rental versions of both left me with the impression the Prius would be better due to the flatter windshield (simpler reflections), symmetrical dash layout, and the slightly better on-axis angle of the factory Prius locations.

Are there any other factors you have noticed working on these?
The Prius works great, I have not installed anything in the new Camry yet, but, have taken it apart to investigate for a customer. So, that's why I knew the L3SE's would fit similar to the Prius.

jtaudioacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #9

DIYMA freshman

It wouldn't be worth it to throw some speakers on the rear deck, even if I have to cut holes? And I've never heard the L3Se's, but would you suggest not throwing a tweeter in with them? Even one of the HAT tweeters? And you said 'only a 600/4'.. Is there a better selection of amp to compliment a setup like this?
Old 07-19-2012   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 114 psycle_1 will become famous soon enoughpsycle_1 will become famous soon enoughpsycle_1 will become famous soon enoughpsycle_1 will become famous soon enoughpsycle_1 will become famous soon enoughpsycle_1 will become famous soon enough

You can run the L3SE all the way up to 20k and probably not miss the lack of tweeters. I've heard multiple L3SE setups without tweeters and did not find the high end lacking.

Also, I wouldn't even bother with rear fill speakers.

Team Hybrids
Team Hitman...
psycle_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #11

DIYMA freshman

Hrm. Alright. I guess I'm just looking for a legitimate dream setup, regardless of cost ( preferably not exceeding excessive digits heh). It'll be bought in increments.. So the rear deck would just be for shits and giggles I guess. But are there much better amps to power HAT products with? And crossovers?
Old 07-19-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

What I meant by "only a 600/4" was only 4 channels, and thus no extra channels for tweeters absolutely nothing wrong with that amp. It is even on my short list of amps to get for my mids as well.

Me personally, after now having a dsp, would not get separate external crossovers. Worse case I would rather use what the head unit and/or amps provided until I got a dsp to take over. Reason being that a dsp is going to give you almost everything in one box. Lots of crossover choices, eq (I think some have both parametric and graphic), time alignment, phase, plus multiple presets.

Between the amp and HU, you will usually get a good compromise in crossover selection. That is until you really get serious about tuning and need all the options on slope, points and all that good stuff that a dsp will provide.

Team MSE/JL Audio