LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Boltpower21 will become famous soon enoughBoltpower21 will become famous soon enoughBoltpower21 will become famous soon enoughBoltpower21 will become famous soon enoughBoltpower21 will become famous soon enoughBoltpower21 will become famous soon enough

Default Best midbass/midwoofer 6.5 or 7 that would give lowest bass without subwoofer

I have a older porsche 911 and really nowhere to put a subwoofer, was wondering which component or midbass /mid woofer would have to lowest bass output and sq.
Boltpower21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 186 t3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Best midbass/midwoofer 6.5 or 7 that would give lowest bass without subwoofer

2 way or 3 way?

t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 92 strakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Best midbass/midwoofer 6.5 or 7 that would give lowest bass without subwoofer

If 3 way and you don't need it to play above a couple hundred Hz, check out the Peerless SLS 6, Exodus Anarchy, or the JL 6" subs. I think Tang Band makes some 6" subs too.

2012 MECA Modified World Champion
Alpine, Mosconi, Arc Audio, Clarion, Melodic Acoustic, Dynaudio, Acoustic Elegance
Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart SQ Build Log <-- New updates 7/26/14
Alpine, Pioneer, Image Dynamics, B&C, JBL
Chevy S-10 Pro Audio Build Log <-- Mine as of 8/23/14

Last edited by strakele; 11-29-2012 at 03:00 PM..
strakele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Boltpower21 will become famous soon enoughBoltpower21 will become famous soon enoughBoltpower21 will become famous soon enoughBoltpower21 will become famous soon enoughBoltpower21 will become famous soon enoughBoltpower21 will become famous soon enough

I would like to stay 2 way, the system is at least 20 years old. In the rear I have 4 inch polydax and some tweeter don't know brand just says made in Denmark. Up front I also don't know the brand just know its a 6.5 and the tweeter say's KEF. I was looking at Morel Elate and Dynaudio esotar or esotec and Hybrid audio L6SE, and would like to get as low( hertz) as possible. I just read shoot out of the 6 to 7 mids and the Dynaudio came in tier 1 and the Hybrids in tier 2. Thay didn't do the Morels any thoughts? Thanks
Old 11-29-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

When the music's over

Rep Power: 68 Wesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enough

Do you have airco? If not:

+

=

1982 Porsche 911 SC, Pioneer P88-RSII active 2-way front + sub, Genesis Series III 4 Channel, 1&2 to Hertz ML 1600 woofers, 3&4 bridged to a JBL GTO 804 sub in the front trunk, Vifa XT25 sc-90 04 tweeters powered by a Genesis Series III Stereo 60.
Wesayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 92 strakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltpower21 View Post
I would like to stay 2 way, the system is at least 20 years old. In the rear I have 4 inch polydax and some tweeter don't know brand just says made in Denmark. Up front I also don't know the brand just know its a 6.5 and the tweeter say's KEF. I was looking at Morel Elate and Dynaudio esotar or esotec and Hybrid audio L6SE, and would like to get as low( hertz) as possible. I just read shoot out of the 6 to 7 mids and the Dynaudio came in tier 1 and the Hybrids in tier 2. Thay didn't do the Morels any thoughts? Thanks
That test only played them down to 80Hz. You want to play lower than that. Of the speakers in that test, the Exodus Anarchy or the Scan Illuminator will get closest to what you want to do.

2012 MECA Modified World Champion
Alpine, Mosconi, Arc Audio, Clarion, Melodic Acoustic, Dynaudio, Acoustic Elegance
Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart SQ Build Log <-- New updates 7/26/14
Alpine, Pioneer, Image Dynamics, B&C, JBL
Chevy S-10 Pro Audio Build Log <-- Mine as of 8/23/14
strakele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #7

DIYMA freshman

Wow that's very cool!! But I do have airco. Thank you, how are the hertz 1600?
Old 11-29-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

When the music's over

Rep Power: 68 Wesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enough

I love them, but they are the old 2008 model. New ones are a bit different.
Another option

Link here...

If you want to extend low with speakers in the door you'll have to do your best to deaden them. I have my speakers highpassed at 80 Hz/12 dB and can shake the mirrors off of the doors even with deadening materials on there. What year 911 are we talking about? I know the later models have a steel bar in the door, that would help a lot!
Cabin gain in these cars is insane though... you might be happy with mids only without sub. I can extend down to 20 Hz with that small 8" sub. At normal listening levels it does ~96 dB@ 20 Hz measured with a Radioshack dB meter. So it could be about 6 dB more (lol).

1982 Porsche 911 SC, Pioneer P88-RSII active 2-way front + sub, Genesis Series III 4 Channel, 1&2 to Hertz ML 1600 woofers, 3&4 bridged to a JBL GTO 804 sub in the front trunk, Vifa XT25 sc-90 04 tweeters powered by a Genesis Series III Stereo 60.

Last edited by Wesayso; 11-29-2012 at 05:51 PM..
Old 11-29-2012   #9

DIYMA freshman

I have a 1987. I have deadened the doors a little inside and all of the outside. Is that pic with the sub with the spare tire removed? How does the sound enter the cab?
Old 11-29-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

When the music's over

Yes, that one has the spare removed. Low frequencies will find their way trough the dash. I didn't make any holes and it gets there fine. Enough holes like the heater pipes are there. The front boot might even act as a big horn...

My enclosure is 10 liter. I think you could get that much in the spare wheel?

Also look at FLYONWALL's build: 89Targa Carrera
He has 8" woofers in the doors with 993 pockets!

Old 11-30-2012   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 138 Patrick Bateman has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick Bateman has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick Bateman has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick Bateman has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick Bateman has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick Bateman has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick Bateman has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick Bateman has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick Bateman has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick Bateman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltpower21 View Post
I have a older porsche 911 and really nowhere to put a subwoofer, was wondering which component or midbass /mid woofer would have to lowest bass output and sq.
Making bass is simply about moving air. There is nothing more to it. If anyone tells you that "brand x" has better bass than "brand y" and doesn't have specs to back up their claim, take their advice with a grain of salt.

Due to this, simply find the 17cm woofer with the most xmax and you'll have your winner. It will likely be the Exodus audio Anarchy, but they're sold out at the moment, IIRC.

If you don't need to get loud, you might consider using some EQ to contour the output of the woofer so that you sacrifice extension for maximum output. Basically trade one for the other.

Never draw what you can swipe. Never swipe what you can trace. Never trace what you can photocopy. Never photocopy what you can clip out and paste down. (Wally Wood)
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 79 ZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enough

Aren't porsche 911 rear seats practically useless for passengers? I wonder why not install a subwoofer box somewhere in that area?
ZAKOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

When the music's over

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKOH View Post
Aren't porsche 911 rear seats practically useless for passengers? I wonder why not install a subwoofer box somewhere in that area?
With all that room up front?