LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 15 Jhoov82 will become famous soon enoughJhoov82 will become famous soon enoughJhoov82 will become famous soon enoughJhoov82 will become famous soon enoughJhoov82 will become famous soon enoughJhoov82 will become famous soon enough

Default Help me build a budget sq / sql system...

Hey guys. I have an idea for a front stage setup in my 07 Chevy Trailblazer.
I want to try a 3 way halfway active setup. What I mean by halfway active is I already have a 4 channel amp ( Soundstream Picasso p4.500 which does 80x4 rms @ 4 ohms and has full bandpass crossover.) It's not the best amp in the world but for the price I think it's pretty good and again has the bandpass crossover's which is why I bought it originally for my last setup. Anyway, here is what I'm thinking.

I'm thinking about using some Dayton RS180 7" drivers in the doors as midbass drivers each running active off my amp getting 80 rms each from about 80hz - oh I'll say 400hz or so. I will deaden the crap out the door and seal up all the holes and what not. Now the halfway active notion is because I want to use 4" Faitalpro Neodymium midrange speakers with the vifa softdome textile tweets but have them run through a old cdt SAT NET 450 passive crossover which I also already own. I will eventually try and build a pod of some sort in the a-pillar but for now will only have the tweet on the a- pillar and the Faital's in the stock dash opening facing up against the glass. Now again only temporary. Before I go any further is this even a good idea at all and have I choose good equipment for this type of setup?

Btw the setup would look like this
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/basket/purchase.cfm

Midbass= Dayton rs 180 7" drivers in the door getting 80 rms each running from 80hz - 400 hz
Midrange= Faitalpro Neodymium 4" in the dash running from 400 hz - 4300 hz
Tweet= Vifa soft textile dome tweets on the A-pillar running from 4300hz up.
CDT SATNET 450 passive crossover for the 4" faital's and vifa tweets seperating at 4300 getting 80 rms to each crossover so I guess about 40 rms to each 4" midrange and each vifa tweet.

I already own the 4 channel amp and the cdt crossovers so all 6 of these speakers I could get on Partsexpress for $205. I just don't think I can find a better setup for the money but I have never heard these speakers in a car audio setup.

Last edited by Jhoov82; 09-05-2013 at 05:20 AM..
Jhoov82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 15 Jhoov82 will become famous soon enoughJhoov82 will become famous soon enoughJhoov82 will become famous soon enoughJhoov82 will become famous soon enoughJhoov82 will become famous soon enoughJhoov82 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Help me build a budget sq / sql system...

These could also be an option for my midrange speakers IF they can fit in the dash..

Scanspeak Discovery 12W/4524G 4.5" Fiberglass Cone
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...-woofer-4-ohm/

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...woofer-4-ohms/
SB Acoustics SB12NRX25-04 4" woofer- 4 ohms

Would these two be a better option than the Faital pro? The Scan's are 4.5 so I don't know if I could fit them...
Old 09-05-2013   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

novice

Rep Power: 42 steppinrazer will become famous soon enoughsteppinrazer will become famous soon enoughsteppinrazer will become famous soon enoughsteppinrazer will become famous soon enoughsteppinrazer will become famous soon enoughsteppinrazer will become famous soon enough

I'm planning a system for my wife's 06 TB.. From the research I've done so far even to fit a 3.5" it's going to take a little bit of cutting. Seems to me a good portion of a 4.5" would be covered by the solid plastic of the dash trim piece?
steppinrazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Donkbox will become famous soon enoughDonkbox will become famous soon enoughDonkbox will become famous soon enoughDonkbox will become famous soon enoughDonkbox will become famous soon enoughDonkbox will become famous soon enough

I just pulled a set of JL 3.5 inch coax speakers out of the dash in my Snailblazer and the openings were heavily "massaged" to get them in. A 4.5 inch would require extensive cutting...although maybe doable, probably best to stick with a 3-3.5 inch in there. If you do end up fabbing a pod to house a mid and tweet I'll take a set!

Last edited by Donkbox; 09-05-2013 at 08:24 PM..
Donkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #5

DIYMA freshman

Yeah, I may just do a 2 way setup with 6'5 - 7" in door and tweet on the a-pillar or something. Don't think I can use the RS 180S cause they have to be crossed around 2k hz. I'm really thinking about going with the PHD FB 6.1 PRO KIT and bridging my amp to give them 250 rms a side!
Old 09-05-2013   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Donkbox will become famous soon enoughDonkbox will become famous soon enoughDonkbox will become famous soon enoughDonkbox will become famous soon enoughDonkbox will become famous soon enoughDonkbox will become famous soon enough

I've often pondered sticking a 3 inch midrange at the top of the door panel-the area just ahead of the door handle and below the mirror control-but I lack the gumption and skills necessary for such an endeavour. I'm not sure how well they would blend with the tweets being a foot or so away but you should totally do it and post a ton of pics so I can copy you! I have my tweeters in my a-pillar right now and the 6.5s in the stock location and without a processor (next purchase) the separation is distracting. Something to consider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg door panel.jpeg (6.8 KB, 10 views)
Donkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #7

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 75 keep_hope_alive will become famous soon enoughkeep_hope_alive will become famous soon enoughkeep_hope_alive will become famous soon enoughkeep_hope_alive will become famous soon enoughkeep_hope_alive will become famous soon enoughkeep_hope_alive will become famous soon enough

I have been experimenting with full active and hybrid active/passive with 3-way for the past 6 years using a variety of drivers. I have some Viva and peerless 2" drivers I was using more recently since a typical 2-way can lack clarity between 2k-4k due to woofer beaming and tweeter aiming.

I also have some 3" and 4" drivers like the Dayton RS100.

I have tried kicks and dash and apillar.

All worked after testing and tweaking. Flexible crossovers were the most useful tool... and T/A.

I never tried upper doors, I don't typically like that location for speakers.

Rich
Acoustics Engineer

I love my job; I'm an Acoustics Engineer using my Electrical Engineering degree - it's awesome stuff.
My 2001 Accord Build Log
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote