LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 23 JBezugly will become famous soon enoughJBezugly will become famous soon enoughJBezugly will become famous soon enoughJBezugly will become famous soon enoughJBezugly will become famous soon enoughJBezugly will become famous soon enough

Default Budget SQ components (going active) & sound deadener

Hey guys,

I'm going to be redoing my system for SQ. I'm getting a DEH-80PRS and plan to run active... I've ordered the Tang Band 6x9 subwoofers for the rear deck (need trunk space and seats to go down so trying to avoid subs, will simplify my system as well).

For the front stage I plan to run 6.5" woofers in the doors and then tweeters on the dash (OEM locations). I will be keeping my 4 channel JVC Arsenal KS-AR7004 amp which pushes 100W RMS per channel at 4ohms with THD of <0.04% for the mids and tweets, and I'm picking up an Alpine MRV-T320 and running it bridged one channel with the 2 Tang Bands wired up in 4 ohm parallel.

Now, I was looking at the ID CTX6.5cs components as I've heard great things about them, but since I am going active, I was thinking I can get more bang for my buck by sourcing raw drivers.

For tweeters, I'm looking at the Vifa NE25VTS-04's

But for the mids, I'm having some trouble... I'd like them to be amply powered (but not way overpowered) by my 4 channel. I've heard good things about the Dayton RS180's but I am worried that they may be too overpowered by my amp (unless I get the 8ohm versions... Thoughts on this?) or that they might not sound good enough mounted in my doors.

And this brings me to sound deadening.... I'm not gonna be layering my doors with sound deadner, but I just want to strategically place deadening along my door and trim (and the rear deck for that matter) based on which parts of the panel resonate the most... I was looking at Second Skin's products (feel free to suggest others as well), but I'm curious if I get the door kit, how I should apply my sound deadening on my door that it'll give me the best returns for minimum coin. I am a student on a budget and I'm not looking for the best in the world, but just a well rounded, nice sounding system for daily use. Not looking to enter any competitions lol... This goes for all my system components.

Any suggestions that would be good for my application? My car is a 04 Camry, and I listen to everything under the sun, from rock to rap, dance to jazz, and everything in between (except country... Don't get me started on that lol)

Thanks!
JBezugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 23 JBezugly will become famous soon enoughJBezugly will become famous soon enoughJBezugly will become famous soon enoughJBezugly will become famous soon enoughJBezugly will become famous soon enoughJBezugly will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Budget SQ components (going active) & sound deadener

buuump for some needed assistance!
Old 11-14-2013   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 40 SPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura about

The Daytons will handle the power without problem, especially since you will be crossing them over. If you were using them in a full range application where they were expected to pick up the bottom octaves as well power handling would be reduced.

Pu the damping material in the middle of the longer panel sections. Doing the "tap test" like you propose to find offending spots always works well. That being said, getting doors to be quite is really in the details. There's a lot of mechanical parts in there that can vibrate against each other, so small pieces of felt, foam, wire loom, or whatever else you can think of might be useful to wrap and isolate those parts. Make sure the mid is solidly attached to the door and sealed to prevent backwave interference.
SPLEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 19 Jcharger13 will become famous soon enoughJcharger13 will become famous soon enoughJcharger13 will become famous soon enoughJcharger13 will become famous soon enoughJcharger13 will become famous soon enoughJcharger13 will become famous soon enough

IMO it looks like you have a solid plan for what you are looking to achieve. Components, deadening, etc.. Do the doors like ^^^ he said.

Stock HU - Bit One
2x zuki eleets v1 4 channel -
Scan 18w revs, 10f's, Illum r3004
HD 1200/1, 12w7ae
Jcharger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

IRONMAN - Texas 2014

Rep Power: 30 therapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enough

Seal and deaden the door as you noted....it's huge. I did mine for the first time early this year.

IRONMAN TEXAS 2014 finisher! ---OEM Blaupunkt HU-> Rockford 3Sixty.3 DSP->Alpine PDX-V9-> HAT Imagine 6.5's as components>Infinity Kappa 120.9w sub @1.44 ft│ sealed - 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
therapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #6

DIYMA freshman

Thanks for the input guys! Anyone have input on my driver choices?
Old 11-15-2013   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 67 JVD240 will become famous soon enoughJVD240 will become famous soon enoughJVD240 will become famous soon enoughJVD240 will become famous soon enoughJVD240 will become famous soon enoughJVD240 will become famous soon enough

Driver choice looks good. You need a tweet that can cross fairly low to pair with those Dayton's.

Looks like you found a suitable one.
JVD240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #8

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 26 1fishman is on a distinguished road1fishman is on a distinguished road1fishman is on a distinguished road1fishman is on a distinguished road1fishman is on a distinguished road

I'd consider the NXV XSPTW 29mm for your tweeter. They are fantastic, they also do well crossed low. NVX has it crossed at 1500hz for their best 2 way components. Make a offer on Ebay you might be able to get them for $100.

If your not doing a sub you might also consider Anarchy Exodus 6.5" if you can fit them.
1fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013   #9

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fishman View Post
I'd consider the NXV XSPTW 29mm for your tweeter. They are fantastic, they also do well crossed low. NVX has it crossed at 1500hz for their best 2 way components. Make a offer on Ebay you might be able to get them for $100.

If your not doing a sub you might also consider Anarchy Exodus 6.5" if you can fit them.
Well I have those tang band 6x9 subwoofers that will fill out sub duty. I found a set of Exodus 7's for 80 bucks but they're too deep for my doors.

I'll keep my eye on those tweeters however.
Old 11-16-2013   #10

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 26 1fishman is on a distinguished road1fishman is on a distinguished road1fishman is on a distinguished road1fishman is on a distinguished road1fishman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugly View Post
Well I have those tang band 6x9 subwoofers that will fill out sub duty. I found a set of Exodus 7's for 80 bucks but they're too deep for my doors.

I'll keep my eye on those tweeters however.
You can't go wrong with those tweets i think you would have to spend a lot more to get a better tweet.
I read one review were the guy replaced his scanspeak illuminator's with the XSPTW and likes them a more.
1fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013   #11

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fishman View Post
You can't go wrong with those tweets i think you would have to spend a lot more to get a better tweet.
I read one review were the guy replaced his scanspeak illuminator's with the XSPTW and likes them a more.
Fair enough, thanks for the heads up.

Anyone have experience with KnuKonceptz's Kno Knoise Kolossus deadener, and their Krystal Kable RCA's? Very reasonably priced and looks like high quality stuff.

Need the sound deadener for reasons stated above, and new RCA's because my current RCA's (NVX XIV45) are most likely the source of my current system noise. Took the RCA's out of the amp: No Noise. Plugged the RCA's back into the amp and took the RCA's out of the HU, and I still had noise.
Old 11-19-2013   #12

DIYMA freshman

Found ID-CTX6.5's for a good deal... Do I get them and run active with em, or do I stick with my raw driver choices?
Old 11-25-2013   #13

DIYMA freshman

Looking at these Morel's for my front stage, thoughts?
Old 11-25-2013   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 VWgti will become famous soon enoughVWgti will become famous soon enoughVWgti will become famous soon enoughVWgti will become famous soon enoughVWgti will become famous soon enoughVWgti will become famous soon enough

Question. If you plan on using tweets and mids up front ran active plus 2 subs/midbass speakers in the rear deck how can you do all that with a 4 channel amp? Won't you need a passive XO for the mids/tweets up front?
VWgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #15

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWgti View Post
Question. If you plan on using tweets and mids up front ran active plus 2 subs/midbass speakers in the rear deck how can you do all that with a 4 channel amp? Won't you need a passive XO for the mids/tweets up front?
I'll be picking up a 2 channel amp for the rear subs/midbass.
Old 11-25-2013   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 VWgti will become famous soon enoughVWgti will become famous soon enoughVWgti will become famous soon enoughVWgti will become famous soon enoughVWgti will become famous soon enoughVWgti will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugly View Post
I'll be picking up a 2 channel amp for the rear subs/midbass.
Gotcha! Sounds like an awesome idea. If I could fit 6x9's in my rear doors I would use those tang bands as midbass drivers. Good idea though incase I ever have a trunk car with 6x9's in rear deck. What are you gonna cross them over at?
VWgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #17

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWgti View Post
Gotcha! Sounds like an awesome idea. If I could fit 6x9's in my rear doors I would use those tang bands as midbass drivers. Good idea though incase I ever have a trunk car with 6x9's in rear deck. What are you gonna cross them over at?
Because I'm using them as my bass/subbass, I'll cross them over at around 70-100hz into the Morel's, all depending on where they will blend the nicest, and where I can adjust the slopes and what not for my liking. I'll see how it goes when I setup my system.

I can't have a sub because I really need the trunk space.
Old 11-25-2013   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 40 Golden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enough

I'm using a pair of rs180s in my doors for midbass duty crossed bandpass 100-200hz. I'm pushing them with a jl audio hd600/4 so they are each getting 150 watts and I have no problems. I used them in a 2-way configuration with tweets before as well and was very happy with them. They're a great choice for with configuration, and at around $60/ea they're a steal.
Golden Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #19

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Ear View Post
I'm using a pair of rs180s in my doors for midbass duty crossed bandpass 100-200hz. I'm pushing them with a jl audio hd600/4 so they are each getting 150 watts and I have no problems. I used them in a 2-way configuration with tweets before as well and was very happy with them. They're a great choice for with configuration, and at around $60/ea they're a steal.
Thanks for the tip! I'll keep that in mind as I'm still looking around.

I'm looking at the Morel Maximos or the Morel Tempos as well.

Does this seller look legit for the tempos? Otherwise if there's not too much of a difference I'll pick up the Maximos.
Old 12-14-2013   #20

DIYMA freshman

Buuuuumpdate:

Still looking at the Maximos or Tempos right now, at the top of my list.

Anyone have an opinion on the Crescendo Audio Mezzo components for SQ? Look sweet, and are priced nicely.

Help me out
Old 12-30-2013   #21

DIYMA freshman

UPDATE!

Picked up Morel Tempos for the front stage.

Now all I need to worry about is sound deadning. I was thinking of doing the full treatment as shown on the SDS website here but using Knukonceptz Kno Knoise Kolossus CLD deadner instead of the SDS CLD Tile. (I'd still be doing the MLV, CCF and 3M Thinsulate treatment)

Good idea?