LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 24 Bryce418 will become famous soon enoughBryce418 will become famous soon enoughBryce418 will become famous soon enoughBryce418 will become famous soon enoughBryce418 will become famous soon enoughBryce418 will become famous soon enough

Default 80prs vs. cde147bt

Just wondering if anyone has any input on the alpine? I was planning to save for the 80-prs, then I found the alpine. I found the alpine for abot $100 less and the only real objection I have is that it lacks two EQ presets and the eq has a bit less flexibility.
Bryce418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Auto Design
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 84 SkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 80prs vs. cde147bt

this is going to be a personal opinion. your going to have to weigh the trade offs of price vs. flexibility/features. i would just say go for the 80 though

PM FOR A SYSTEM DIAGRAM
Build In Progress . <<-- click
1990 Nissan 300zx

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 24 Bryce418 will become famous soon enoughBryce418 will become famous soon enoughBryce418 will become famous soon enoughBryce418 will become famous soon enoughBryce418 will become famous soon enoughBryce418 will become famous soon enough

The lack of a second user EQ is pretty tough to get over.
Old 12-24-2013   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Auto Design
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 84 SkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enoughSkizeR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce418 View Post
The lack of a second user EQ is pretty tough to get over.
the alpine has a 7 or 9 band single eq, and the pioneer has a left and right 16 band eq. you going to be able to do much more with a separate left and right eq

PM FOR A SYSTEM DIAGRAM
Build In Progress . <<-- click
1990 Nissan 300zx

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #5

DIYMA freshman

That's the other downfall of the alpine from what I see.

Anyone have any recommendations where to get an 80 for a good price?
Old 12-24-2013   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 102 turbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura about

I have the 149 in my daily beater- and the 80pos in the gf's daily. The 80 is good if you needed the added tuning... Then connectivity of my Iphone to the 80 SUCKS.... I find myself plugging/ unplugging.... Power cycling what not to get pandora to load. the alpine on the other hand works smoothly. With the correct choice of amps you can do active and have time correction.

My choice would be the alpine- and figure out tuning.

Team DIYMA.....

2011 IASCA INAC Rookie Champ
turbo5upra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #7

DIYMA freshman

I have a p9400bh currently and I'm pretty happy with it. I just want to switch to an active component set, plus I could really use time alignment and more EQ.
Old 12-24-2013   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Master Audio Creations
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 54 Sleeves will become famous soon enoughSleeves will become famous soon enoughSleeves will become famous soon enoughSleeves will become famous soon enoughSleeves will become famous soon enoughSleeves will become famous soon enoughSleeves will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo5upra View Post
I have the 149 in my daily beater- and the 80pos in the gf's daily. The 80 is good if you needed the added tuning... Then connectivity of my Iphone to the 80 SUCKS.... I find myself plugging/ unplugging.... Power cycling what not to get pandora to load. the alpine on the other hand works smoothly. With the correct choice of amps you can do active and have time correction.

My choice would be the alpine- and figure out tuning.
So Pioneer for sound potential and Alpine if you're a slave to your phone? I'm not sure calling it a POS over fidgety Bluetooth is quite fair. I've had my 80PRS since it was released and could not possibly be any happier with it for what it costs and what it does. Take that with a grain of salt I guess because I don't want it having any relations with my phone.

2004 VW .:R32

Pioneer DEH-80PRS, Hybrid Audio Legatia L6V2, Legatia L1V2NA, Soundstream Ref 300, Soundstream Ref 200
Sleeves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

1/1000th of a Millionaire

Rep Power: 91 CrossFired will become famous soon enoughCrossFired will become famous soon enoughCrossFired will become famous soon enoughCrossFired will become famous soon enoughCrossFired will become famous soon enoughCrossFired will become famous soon enough

They both sound good. The Alpine has a much better Build quality, but the Pioneer has a lot more sound options.

I try to run my system flat, so lots of EQ bands don't do much for me. I get the correct sound by building my own crossovers, as to get the sound I like.

Alpine also has a much better display. Really all the Pioneer has going for it, is a very powerful DSP. If you need that? The Pioneer is the only HU for under $400. with that sort of DSP power.

PRS 80 HU, Morel Elate 6 mids, Morel MT-23 tweets, Dual Morel Ultimo 8's in a L.A.B. SlapBox. Boston GT42/GT24.
CrossFired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 102 turbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves View Post
So Pioneer for sound potential and Alpine if you're a slave to your phone? I'm not sure calling it a POS over fidgety Bluetooth is quite fair. I've had my 80PRS since it was released and could not possibly be any happier with it for what it costs and what it does. Take that with a grain of salt I guess because I don't want it having any relations with my phone.
Faceplate quality.... Integration. Customer service- backassward menus is why I called it a pos.

I don't use the Bluetooth because the mic didn't work well... I stream pandora because I spend a ton of time driving and it makes sense.

Team DIYMA.....

Old 12-24-2013   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Master Audio Creations
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 54 Sleeves will become famous soon enoughSleeves will become famous soon enoughSleeves will become famous soon enoughSleeves will become famous soon enoughSleeves will become famous soon enoughSleeves will become famous soon enoughSleeves will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo5upra View Post
Faceplate quality.... Integration. Customer service- backassward menus is why I called it a pos.

I don't use the Bluetooth because the mic didn't work well... I stream pandora because I spend a ton of time driving and it makes sense.
Don't get me wrong: this is the only Pioneer I've ever owned. Compare that to Alpine CDA-7930, (2)CDA-7949, DVA-7996, CDA-7996, and CDA-117. I've historically been extremely biased to Alpine and never really cared for Pioneer until THIS source unit.

Menus make perfect since if you're used to Pioneer menus, which I wasn't, so I adapted. BTW, customer service?

Anyway I understand you're not a fan. POS just seems to be a strong tag unless you dislike your girlfriend that much

2004 VW .:R32

Pioneer DEH-80PRS, Hybrid Audio Legatia L6V2, Legatia L1V2NA, Soundstream Ref 300, Soundstream Ref 200
Sleeves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 a390st will become famous soon enougha390st will become famous soon enougha390st will become famous soon enougha390st will become famous soon enougha390st will become famous soon enougha390st will become famous soon enough

Won't matter to most, but the Alpine units will not play wav files from USB. Also, the 80prs has a mini SD slot. Though I didn't hear it, I've heard that some people are bothered by the fan noise from the Alpine. I don't see how you could hear it myself. I do like the Alpine a lot, and it was a hard choice for me.
a390st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves View Post
Don't get me wrong: this is the only Pioneer I've ever owned. Compare that to Alpine CDA-7930, (2)CDA-7949, DVA-7996, CDA-7996, and CDA-117. I've historically been extremely biased to Alpine and never really cared for Pioneer until THIS source unit.

Menus make perfect since if you're used to Pioneer menus, which I wasn't, so I adapted. BTW, customer service?

Anyway I understand you're not a fan. POS just seems to be a strong tag unless you dislike your girlfriend that much
It's in there and I've been lazy about buying a double din navi unit for her... Her amps will do the crossovers so I'd be lacking l/r eq.

I've contacted them twice about the glitchy-ness of it- displaying iPod info while on pandora. Needing to unplug the device and swap sources and I get nothing useful back.

The reverse ta is hard to get comfy with but that's pioneer.

The multiple menus for crossovers and slopes and levels can be a bit of a pita.

Now that I'm done bashing the crap outta it- it powers up every time. Holds the settings and packs a decent amount tuning into a cheap headunit... I think they came close to knocking it out of the park but if rather pay 50 bucks more and get the home run.

I bought it because it fit stock class rules like a glove.

Team DIYMA.....

Old 12-24-2013   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 21 BlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enough

If you are in the mist of system planning and the potential changes in the future . You may want to look at the Pioneers' x-over section . The down fall for us with the 80PRS is the freq range of the low,mid , and high out puts in network mode . You cannot use a full range tweeter less Speaker like the L3SE to its full potential . The lowest x-over point is 1.25k in network mode . You loose a majority of dsp functions in front , rear sub mode .
Other than the inability to be able to choose 20 hertz - 20,000 hertz on any of the channels , the 80PRS is serving us well . It just really got me wishing I would have really looked at the x- over specs before making the investment . Currently have an active 3 way system consisting of a tweeter , 6.5 mid and sub .
To upgrade our system to the L3SE , we will be switching to the Alpine 149BT with the 800 processor and controller .
Both good head units , each one has its strong points .
BlackHHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 golf29 will become famous soon enoughgolf29 will become famous soon enoughgolf29 will become famous soon enoughgolf29 will become famous soon enoughgolf29 will become famous soon enoughgolf29 will become famous soon enough

Based on posts biggest advantage of the 80prs vs Alpine 147, 148, 149 is the independent crossover for low/mid/high for a 2-way active frontstage. If i do not plan to go full active, will the alpine be a better choice since it's $100 cheaper? Or will the other features like independent 13band EQ, auto EQ and TA justify the $100 price difference?
golf29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 27 jode1967 will become famous soon enoughjode1967 will become famous soon enoughjode1967 will become famous soon enoughjode1967 will become famous soon enoughjode1967 will become famous soon enoughjode1967 will become famous soon enough

thats a question that would have to be answered by each individual. everyone has something that counts more than other things.
they are both great units, just gotta figure if you need 3way active x-overs or prefer l/r eq's or want the seemingly better Build quality. for many its a wash sound wise and in that case get the cheaper
jode1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

Because SQ

12V Company:
Sound Sensations
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 44 sirbOOm will become famous soon enoughsirbOOm will become famous soon enoughsirbOOm will become famous soon enoughsirbOOm will become famous soon enoughsirbOOm will become famous soon enoughsirbOOm will become famous soon enoughsirbOOm will become famous soon enough

I have the Alpine 148, which is the nicer screen version of the 147. I like it a lot and decided on it vs. the 80PRS because I'll be using a processor anyway so I don't need the 80PRS's features... plus I tend to always get Alpine HUs (a trend I've decided to change recently after nightmares with a brand new 2-DIN navi unit I have). The 80PRS is kind of a pain to use but you get used to it and it's worth the extra cost if you want the ability to go active and have more EQ. But if you are not the type that will spend the time to learn how to EQ then having 16 bands of EQ can become more of a problem than a benefit.

I have used both units and I like Alpine's BT, USB/iPhone control, and menu structure better. Alpine's EQ is parametric so you can still target the areas you need to target probably just as effectively in most systems and most users as the 80PRS (again, unless you go active and want to use the network mode in the 80PRS).

...to be honest, I'm waiting for Pioneer to come out with the next version of the 80PRS (whatever that may be) in hopes it gets improved usability and a nicer screen/look.

Build Log (Underway): 2014 Silverado LT Z71
sirbOOm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #18

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 golf29 will become famous soon enoughgolf29 will become famous soon enoughgolf29 will become famous soon enoughgolf29 will become famous soon enoughgolf29 will become famous soon enoughgolf29 will become famous soon enough

Another question is, for newbie like me, what has better auto-tuning 80PRS or 147BT?

The Alpine has the new TuneIt app for iPhone and Android where you select your vehicle model and Speaker configuration and it will tune it based on your inputs. You can also download settings from other TuneIt users who have similar vehicles and audio setups.

On the other hand, the Pioneer has auto EQ and TA where you place the included mic to the headrest of the drivers seat, play the included cd, and it will tune the system based on what the system detects.
Old 01-17-2014   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 27 jode1967 will become famous soon enoughjode1967 will become famous soon enoughjode1967 will become famous soon enoughjode1967 will become famous soon enoughjode1967 will become famous soon enoughjode1967 will become famous soon enough

the alpine doesnt have auto tune at all.
jode1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 14 moparman1 will become famous soon enoughmoparman1 will become famous soon enoughmoparman1 will become famous soon enoughmoparman1 will become famous soon enoughmoparman1 will become famous soon enoughmoparman1 will become famous soon enough

I have the 149. It replaced a jvc. The sound shaping capabilities of the alpine are great. 9 band shapable eq. You can place each band where you want and center each band where you want. Separate q settings. Time alignment and even phase shift.
things I don't like are connectivity issues and most of all, the fact that if you switch to one of the factory eq presets, it erases your parametric eq settings. Aswell, you can't have separate eq settings for different sources. I also miss the color customization on the jvc with almost 50000 color choices.but that's more of a personal thing. I haven't auditioned the pioneer huh for some time. I can tell you the company's quality has gone down hill. Their subs feel cheap and the 4 channel amp I just bought was broken out of the box. 2-4 channel selector switch broken causing one dead channel. Overall the only complaint I had with the jvc was eq, and pre out voltage. In hind sight I should have kept it and got a seperate eq. But out of the two you named pioneer gets my vote as I feel they sound better. But this is based off the last pioneer I had about five years ago.
moparman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #21

DIYMA freshman

Im leaning towards the Pioneer 80PRS too since you can get a slightly used or open box unit in the forums for $200-220 shipped. With that in mind the price difference between the Alpine 147BT is less than $50 for the added features you're getting.